Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 79

Thread: Gantz 376 Discussion/377 Prediction Thread

  1. #61
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    143
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gantz 376 Discussion/377 Prediction Thread

    Surprise, surprise. Killing off the American team and looking for a way to bring Kurono into the mix, true to battle shounen form.

    Quote Originally Posted by GAT-X252 View Post
    The only stronger enemy the TT has fought is the Nurarihyon, and that alien had long intervals of doing nothing and letting the team plan something against him. Those bone aliens were a piece of cake once Kaiji discovered the weak point.
    The strength of the enemies is usually posed against the strength of the team that just got killed off, rather than the strength of the alien(s) themself(ves) The metric by which they compare is usually with hard suits or other weapons. It isn't so much the strength of the enemy as it is the strength of the team that just got killed off and how Tokyo is better, accordingly.

    Introduce Osaka team as being really strong by stating most have completed 'the game' multiple times -> get them killed off and have Tokyo sweep things up.
    Introduce Italian team and have someone state them as being as strong as Osaka, if not stronger due to the presence of a hardsuit -> kill them off and have Tokyo do some damage in Italy.
    Introduce random Japanese team with two hard suits, to imply that two members are similar to Oku in terms of strength -> kill them off and have Tokyo clean house.
    Introduce American team as war winners who are just toying around with the remaining aliens -> kill them off and have Kei + Tokyo finish it off.

    It's rather formulaic, but kinda necessary.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruhina View Post
    I honestly think this american team is only one of the many teams responsible for the victory. I'm pretty sure the "big guys" are going to show up soon. There were like two dozen teams in japan alone, team US should have like 100 teams of "pro-players".
    Even if there are American teams that are genuinely better, they'd be stealing the limelight if they were shown, or he'd have them killed off. After all, most Japanese authors love to show how Japan is the best and how nothing can beat holy Yamato blood. Understandable, but predictable at the same time.

    I'd assume that Japan has at least 47 teams, one for every prefecture and more in some cases.

    Quote Originally Posted by Damura View Post
    I wonder if Kaze would have been able to hold on to him now that his super armor is gone?
    I'd guess that's the reason why Oku got rid of Kaze, at least. To have him not do as well against Gonde when he isn't in some powered suit wouldn't make as much sense unless he'd asspulled some fatigue which hasn't shown so far.
    Last edited by Matariel; January 22, 2013 at 11:28 PM.

  2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  3. #62
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Country
    Australia
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,488
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gantz 376 Discussion/377 Prediction Thread

    ^

    Maybe he didn't want to lose Kaze.

    The way I imagine creative writing like this sort of stuff is you build up your cast of characters, throw them in a situation and then see what would happen. In my mind Kaze would run straight in and get ripped to shreds because he's strong as hell but slow as shit. So I'd transfer him out to keep him alive while without altering his character.

    I would be interested to know if people approach writing a bit differently though. Maybe it's completely different (e.g. he's the main character so he wins no matter what) or maybe certain writers have checklists, like the first 100 chapters needs x amount of explosions or y amount of nudie scenes (10:1 female:male). Or whatever it may be, by any means necessary.

  4. #63
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    143
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gantz 376 Discussion/377 Prediction Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Damura View Post
    The way I imagine creative writing like this sort of stuff is you build up your cast of characters, throw them in a situation and then see what would happen. In my mind Kaze would run straight in and get ripped to shreds because he's strong as hell but slow as shit.
    He still managed to grab onto Gonde when he was wearing a powered suit and wasn't seriously harmed when thrown off, I'd assume he'd should have few problems doing it again and getting somewhere with it unless Oku ups Gonde's plot armour. Not wanting to kill of Kaze may be another part of it, but it'd only be a small factor if that were the case because Oku could easily write a way for him to survive the fight, like when he went up in hand-to-hand combat against Nura. The same could apply for a 1v1 with Gonde. That's the beauty of being an author, you can asspull anything you want. Something Oku has done many a time (as shown with Tae in particular). Another thing about Oku, is that he isn't exactly the most consistent writer either, which is one of his faults as an author.

    There isn't much to it, really.
    Last edited by Matariel; January 23, 2013 at 12:35 AM.

  5. #64
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Country
    Australia
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,488
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gantz 376 Discussion/377 Prediction Thread

    Well I'm wondering whether it was the suit that made him so strong or whether it was all reasonably natural.

    Anyway does this confirm that Gonde is a regular sized giant? I always figured when we first saw him and his buddies that they were like twice the size of regular ones.

    ---

    Everything else though, you're probably right.

  6. #65
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    143
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gantz 376 Discussion/377 Prediction Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Damura View Post
    Well I'm wondering whether it was the suit that made him so strong or whether it was all reasonably natural.

    Anyway does this confirm that Gonde is a regular sized giant? I always figured when we first saw him and his buddies that they were like twice the size of regular ones.
    It'll be a bit of both, I reckon. The suit will probably augment his abilities, but he will naturally be ridiculously fast.

    As for Gonde's size, he's always been normal sized, for a giant. He only looks tall because Gonde and the two others are in the foreground and all the regulars are in the background and remain in the background for almost the entire chapter. It's simply perspective.

    http://www.batoto.net/read/_/37821/g...16_by_utopia/8
    http://www.batoto.net/read/_/37821/g...16_by_utopia/5

    You're more than likely to be overthinking a lot of things.

  7. #66
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member SK-Hao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Stillwater, OK
    Country
    United States
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gantz 376 Discussion/377 Prediction Thread

    The Americans are kinda portrayed as cocky jerks. but they got killed offscreen LOL.

    I love the challenge, he calls out Kei and it feels like things are gonna start escalating even more.
    Devour this Manga

  8. #67
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    107
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gantz 376 Discussion/377 Prediction Thread

    I see no reason to drag real Kurono into this. They have a gantz ball, they can just clone him as many time as they want.

    Too bad the author isn't going to do it like that. He would rather waste panels with Tae screaming his name.

  9. #68
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member GAT-X252's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    My home
    Country
    Peru
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,362
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gantz 376 Discussion/377 Prediction Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Matariel View Post
    He still managed to grab onto Gonde when he was wearing a powered suit....
    There isn't anything spectacular about that, he just jumped on him and fell, the giant didn't even punch him or kick him, i would say he just moved his shoulder and Kaze fell away.

    http://www.batoto.net/read/_/37822/g...by_whatever/14

    And i seriously doubt it was because of the armor the giant was wearing, he just squished a guy wearing a functional gantz suit with his bare hands, that's massive strenght. To me, the reason why Kaze is gone is not because Oku wants to add tension taking away the only person who could give a fight, it's because he doesn't want to kill Kaze, he doesn't stand a chance in a melee fight.

    Wearing the hard suit is the only way i can see Kurono winning this...but it would be too forced to make him wear one again...maybe someone on that ship has one and kills the giant.
    (キタ━━━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━━ !!!!!)

    心臓がドキドキドキドキ!!!!

    06/25/09 - Goodnight Sweet Prince

  10. #69
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    143
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gantz 376 Discussion/377 Prediction Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by GAT-X252 View Post
    And i seriously doubt it was because of the armor the giant was wearing, he just squished a guy wearing a functional gantz suit with his bare hands, that's massive strenght. To me, the reason why Kaze is gone is not because Oku wants to add tension taking away the only person who could give a fight, it's because he doesn't want to kill Kaze, he doesn't stand a chance in a melee fight.

    Wearing the hard suit is the only way i can see Kurono winning this...but it would be too forced to make him wear one again...maybe someone on that ship has one and kills the giant.
    You make it sound as if it'd have been a definite thing, ignoring what type of writer Oku is.

    Oku could easily give anyone plot armour and that is stronger than anything else in this manga. Tae being a prime example of that. It's not like Oku isn't the type to asspull plot armour or a deus ex eithr. So, there's no reason why Kaze wouldn't have survived because lolOku. Hell, Kaze shouldn't have even survived against Nura, but he did. If Kaze had gotten into the fight with Gonde, Oku is not bound to kill him off simply because of how strong he's made Gonde out to be, Oku could easily whip up whatever plot device he wants to keep him alive, or just injure him.

    If Kurono is going to win, which he probably will, he could have won without his Gantz suit. There's one thing more powerful than anything else in Gantz, and that's Oku's will to pull things out of his arse.

  11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  12. #70
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Country
    Australia
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,488
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gantz 376 Discussion/377 Prediction Thread

    ^

    Tae is a pretty rare occurence though, and frankly the only time she survived something she shouldn't have was when Nishi nearly knocked her off the mech.

    Since Oku has just established that you can't hang on to Gonde or anything like that, Kaze might have been pretty useless. Though of course anything goes when you're the writer.. If you're trying to maintain some form of integrity, that's when your options become a little bit limited. Perhaps that's what we're seeing.

    We won't know until we see it but it's impossible to just say Kaze would definitely win or definitely lose. Sure, Oku could make Kaze so amazingly strong that he can do whatever the fuck he wants, but he didn't! He sent him home before he even had a chance. It offers a hint as to what Oku has planned for the fight, including possible strengths Gonde has that might overwhelm someone like Kaze UNLESS he had plot armor.
    Last edited by Damura; January 28, 2013 at 02:04 AM.

  13. #71
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    143
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gantz 376 Discussion/377 Prediction Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Damura View Post
    ^

    Tae is a pretty rare occurence though, and frankly the only time she survived something she shouldn't have was when Nishi nearly knocked her off the mech.

    Since Oku has just established that you can't hang on to Gonde or anything like that, Kaze might have been pretty useless. Though of course anything goes when you're the writer.. If you're trying to maintain some form of integrity, that's when your options become a little bit limited. Perhaps that's what we're seeing.

    We won't know until we see it but it's impossible to just say Kaze would definitely win or definitely lose. Sure, Oku could make Kaze so amazingly strong that he can do whatever the fuck he wants, but he didn't! He sent him home before he even had a chance. It offers a hint as to what Oku has planned for the fight, including possible strengths Gonde has that might overwhelm someone like Kaze UNLESS he had plot armor.
    Yeah, I agree. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Kaze would even be close to winning or anything like that. Without plot armour, he'd most likely lose and die/get injured or incapacitated. I'm just saying that if Oku really wanted to, had he kept Kaze there, he could asspull anything he wants and that it wouldn't be beyond him to do so and that Kaze's remaining presence wouldn't equate to death for that reason.


    Either way about it, it's a pointless what-if. After all, what would the finale be without Gary Stu Kurono coming to save the day.
    Last edited by Matariel; January 28, 2013 at 02:15 PM.

  14. #72
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member GAT-X252's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    My home
    Country
    Peru
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,362
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gantz 376 Discussion/377 Prediction Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Matariel View Post
    You make it sound as if it'd have been a definite thing, ignoring what type of writer Oku is.

    Oku could easily give anyone plot armour and that is stronger than anything else in this manga. Tae being a prime example of that. It's not like Oku isn't the type to asspull plot armour or a deus ex eithr. So, there's no reason why Kaze wouldn't have survived because lolOku. Hell, Kaze shouldn't have even survived against Nura, but he did. If Kaze had gotten into the fight with Gonde, Oku is not bound to kill him off simply because of how strong he's made Gonde out to be, Oku could easily whip up whatever plot device he wants to keep him alive, or just injure him.

    If Kurono is going to win, which he probably will, he could have won without his Gantz suit. There's one thing more powerful than anything else in Gantz, and that's Oku's will to pull things out of his arse.
    Tae is not really a good example since she hasn't done anything that's outside her limits as a human, the reason why she has survived so far is because she was saved many times by many people. Sure, that's plot armor but it's not like Oku can give her wings and make her fly from one chapter to another because Oku as a writer can do whatever he wants.

    My point was that Kaze was no match for the giant in terms of speed and strenght, in a duel he would have lost in minutes or even less. Like i said before, he took him out of the battle so he doesn't have to die, you can call plot armor that...it wouldn't be of his nature to just stand while the alien kills everybody in order to drag Kurono.
    (キタ━━━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━━ !!!!!)

    心臓がドキドキドキドキ!!!!

    06/25/09 - Goodnight Sweet Prince

  15. #73
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Country
    Australia
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,488
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gantz 376 Discussion/377 Prediction Thread

    ^

    Hanging off that mech for ages was total BS though

    ---------- Post added at 07:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 AM ----------

    Another thing... Mary went with him. Their whole relationship has been forced since the beginning. The fact that Kaze's happy ending was transferred with him says to me that not only will Kaze be fine til the end of the series (or at least the arc), but that everybody else is extremely at risk right now of dying and/or injury.

  16. #74
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    143
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gantz 376 Discussion/377 Prediction Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by GAT-X252 View Post
    My point was that Kaze was no match for the giant in terms of speed and strenght, in a duel he would have lost in minutes or even less. Like i said before, he took him out of the battle so he doesn't have to die, you can call plot armor that...it wouldn't be of his nature to just stand while the alien kills everybody in order to drag Kurono.
    I'm not saying he'd win either. I'm just saying that if Oku wanted to asspull to keep him alive, he could easily do that in the fight, like he did with Nura. Of course he'd lose, but losing does not mean death.

    I'm not disagreeing that transporting him away was to keep him totally safe, but the plot could have easily kept him alive if that were not the case.

    ---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Damura View Post
    Another thing... Mary went with him. Their whole relationship has been forced since the beginning. The fact that Kaze's happy ending was transferred with him says to me that not only will Kaze be fine til the end of the series (or at least the arc), but that everybody else is extremely at risk right now of dying and/or injury.
    I can imagine the most of the new members in the Tokyo team being killed off because they've had so little character development so far.

  17. #75
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member EliteBeatAgents's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New Joisy
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    272
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gantz 376 Discussion/377 Prediction Thread

    Did everyone forgot that tae had a hooking pierce his left leg, through tibia? and speaking of Gonde. Is it so hard to have one guy use autolock just in case an alien goes rogue? I get Oku is showing Gonde's strength, but try to stay in the norm of your creation and it's (pre)logic and rules.

  18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts