Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)
New Reply

Thread: All The Needed to Create a Scanlation Group

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

All The Needed to Create a Scanlation Group

Hello , i have been thinking about starting a Scanlation group and need to know all tips / information from where to start & ways used in exchanging between members and Everything .
    Generally can you please just tell how work is done in your group .

Note : by needed i don't mean members .

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Orthio's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: All The Needed to Create a Scanlation Group

I've found dropbox and publishwithme pretty invaluable.

Dropbox is a file sharing kit that you might have heard of, it lets you just drop files straight into a shared folder and update files in real-time. It comes with about 2Gb for free and you can upgrade this pretty easily by getting sign ups or just pay for more. Really great software, gets great support and hasn't dropped on me in over 3 years.

Then publishwithme is a really stable pirate pad, great for just chatting, working out who's doing what and updating on progress, sharing cleaning methods and links to stuff. It's completely free and hasn't crashed on me once, others definitely do.

Otherwise I'd recommend always getting yourself 300dpi, 3000 pixel height scans at the very least. It's worth waiting for these and grabbing them online if you can! Remember that scans you release will be there for years and most readers won't end up reading the higher quality scans.

After this, expect drama and expect things to go wrong and get delayed. Don't send out time estimates because they'll rarely get fulfilled.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted hatsuharupeace's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Dropbox is definitely a really good way to share files between members, as it updates itself pretty much real-time when someone finishes uploading a file. In terms of actual communication, there are definitely a few ways to go about it; forums, IRC, some form of instant chat generally works the best, e-mail is a bit slow imo to justify being used for instant communication, unless it's used more so for a periodic time span.

RAWs is also another key part which you need to address; for the series you plan on scanlating, where are you going to get these RAWs, is the person who is scanning them for you able to do it quickly, efficiently and also in good quality, and also when you can get the RAWs as well.

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member [Ju-Ni]Vicissitude's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

While dropbox is a great resource, adding an FTP to your own site is not something you want to overlook. Being able to allow for multiple individual accounts to access their own and group contents is a great things. Plus, you can piggyback it on your own website. Look up hosting from Dreamhost. I was just dicking around and checking things out and found that their hosting packages are pretty good. $9.95 US/month for unlimited hosting AND bandwidth is a good deal, plus you can register domains through them.

Beyond that, you may want to set up your own IRC channels. It's a great place to chat with your fans and you can set up a password-protected staff channel to talk about internal matters. Perfect for coordinating cleaning of chapters and volumes. A forum would also be good for those who don't really hang out on IRC. That's another thing you can host on your site, though there's plenty of free forum hosts out there, like Proboards (I think they're still around. If not, feel free to correct me :v ).

New Reply