Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)

View Poll Results: Regarding the body count...

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anyone can die

9 20.93%
  • More casualties are coming

24 55.81%
  • Killing Neji was a step too far

6 13.95%
  • It's all too much for me now

4 9.30%
  • Other (explain in the comments)

0 0%
New Reply

Thread: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 614 To You

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 614 To You

"Because I was called a genius..."
    Neji Hyuuga

Hello all. This post actually vanished after it was posted due to an MH problem, so the poll that (I’m pretty sure) I originally posted for it is gone. It was a Yes or No question about whether you approved of the Juubi’s new design, which I certainly am. I think it’s appropriately foreign considering the nature of the beast. And while I’m still eager to hear your reactions in the comment, I figured this time I’d ask a more relevant question given the recent events in the series.

Naruto 614 Head
    The images in this review are credited to Mangastream.

The character’s affected by Shinobi HQ’s destruction last chapter get no time to grieve here. They all understand the risks they’re taking and nobly get back to protecting Naruto. The Hyuuga’s are front and center here, protecting their charge with the same deadly ninjutsu that made them legendary in previous wars.

Meanwhile, there’s a palpable tension between the Uchihas. Madara wants to complete the Juubi’s transformation, but that requires a living body and he is currently still a zombie. But it’s not like Obito is going to up and sacrifice himself then and there with the Rinnegan all for Madara’s glory, so he gets to call the shots since he holds all the cards.

Obito uses a massive, wide ranging wood release jutsu through the Juubi that sends needles flying everywhere. Kitsuchi can provide a little protection but needs time to do so. Ditto with Neji. Luckily, Naruto’s entered sage mode, and handily deflects most of the projectiles. But there’s still no time to rest. One of the Juubi’s hands closes in, briefly repelled by Neji, and lets fly a second volley targeted specifically at Naruto. No one is in any shape to counter this move and the only reason it’s stopped is because Neji sacrifices himself.

As the chapter closes on this drawn out death, we’re left wondering how Naruto will react to Neji’s death. Will he boldly carry on Neji’s [I]will of fire[I/]? Or will Obito’s taunts send him into a tailed-beast fury?

Unfortunately, the art this chapter seemed just as rushed as the plot, with action that was at times appropriately frenzied and at other times was a bit confusing. Kishimoto's proven before that a battle can be both chaotic and easy to follow for the reader, but here I found myself doubling back on pages to understand the lay of the land or just what was going on. That said, there were still a few great moments. Particularly, Neji's death, though the actual injury scene wasn't stellar, ended greatly. I'm glad Kishimoto gave him enough focus in those last moments to let his death sink in.

Well. That was certainly something. I'll give Kishimoto props for surprising me. After last chapter's culling of the old guard, I thought he was setting up the death of Hinata's father which would be in keeping with that. But no, he pulled a switcheroo and knocked Neji off instead.

Neji's death, as one of the Konoha rookies and a companion with a prominent role in two arcs from early Naruto, is even more significant than Shukaku's. But unfortunately, that bit was the highlight in a chapter that felt too rushed. In my opinion, there wasn't enough space given to processing the loss of HQ, and what little there was seemed awkward, especially given how often Kishimoto nails the big emotional moments. And a hint for what Shukaku's planned would have been much appreciated.

Then there's Obito who on, one hand, is showing more autonomy as a villain and the uneasy alliance between Uchiha works well. But I'm less enthused by the idea that there's yet another transformation for the Juubi given how powerful it is already. Anything further, and I don't know how the Allies will be able to credibly defeat it, unless this is where the Kage and/or Sasuke comes in.

Overall, I thought Naruto 614 was an uneven chapter with a couple of great moments in it, so I'm giving the chapter a ...

4 out of 5

Predictions

Still no idea what Shukaku's plan is, so that prediction will have to sit a bit. I would be surprised if Madara or Obito didn't become the jinchuriki for the Juubi now that it's been mentioned. In fact, I foresee a major betrayal by Obito coming.

As he mentions, Madara is at his mercy. The Juubi's jinchuriki must be a living person, so he's hedging his bet on being revived. But the easiest route, if they're put in a pinch, would be for Obito to assume that role himself.

One Line Reviews
    • Franky finally gets in on the action in One Piece 693, but the most pressing problem is an enemy who is not quite as down as the Straw Hats believe her to be.
    • Bleach 521 can't help but feel like a bit of a letdown, even with that WTF cliffhanging reveal and the revelation of the Zero Squads purpose and selection, if only because there's no follow up with Captain Commander Kyoraku or Kenpachi Unohana.
    • Tower of God S02 Ch43, narrowly winning my Pick of the Week, for deepening the mystery surrounding Baam and FUG. Is he a living ignition weapon like Teddy? Is that red lobster thing a piece of the slain guardian? How were FUG able to act under the watchful eyes of Evankhell? One thing’s for certain. This Workshop Battle is building up to something monumental.

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ryr's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 614 To You

Quote Quote:
    As he mentions, Madara is at his mercy. The Juubi's jinchuriki must be a living person, so he's hedging his bet on being revived. But the easiest route, if they're put in a pinch, would be for Obito to assume that role himself.
    I would venture a guess that Madara's biggest leash on Obito is that he never taught the latter the techniques that are required to seal the Juubi. Otherwise, Obito would be able to simply proceed with Infinite Tsukiyomi all by himself and there would be no guarantee that Obito will keep to his promise and bring back Madara.
    Last edited by Ryr; December 26, 2012 at 12:57 AM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member enraI's Avatar
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice Review but you didn't mention how Hinata was gonna sacrifice herself for Naruto..
    Memories are pearls, friendships are diamonds

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Kyubi chakra might save Neji, and alternatively a new version of Kyubi rage being revealed sounds appropriate.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Uchiha_Blood's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ryr View Post
    I would venture a guess that Madara's biggest leash on Obito is that he never taught the latter the techniques that are required to seal the Juubi. Otherwise, Obito would be able to simply proceed with Infinite Tsukiyomi all by himself and there would be no guarantee that Obito will keep to his promise and bring back Madara.
    Imo Madara's best bet is that, without him, Obito can't control Juubi before the sealing, and we don't know if Madara taught Obito how to seal the Juubi in himself.
    I'm also fairly sure that Madara has, like, 3 or 4 back up plans

Overall great review, as always, I also thought the art seems pretty rushed, and it had a great impact on the chap.
    Thankfully Neji's close ups were drawn magnificently, so I'm cool about it.

I just can't seem to shake the feeling that Kishi is getting... Lazy, about this manga.
    Everything seems rushed

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by enraI View Post
    Nice Review but you didn't mention how Hinata was gonna sacrifice herself for Naruto..
    She was being useless again there is not much to say else about that.

First she stands in narutos way and distracts him against pain even after tsunades snail told everybody not to do anything so he doesnt need to worry about anyone and then instead of defending and helping naruto she stands in his way so that somebody else has to save her.
    She doesnt do much in the manga but the stuff she does is not very smart.

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack612 View Post
    The Hyuuga’s are front and center here, protecting their charge with the same deadly ninjutsu that made them legendary in previous wars.

Meanwhile, there’s a palpable tension between the Uchihas.
    Madara wants to complete the Juubi’s transformation, but that requires a living body and he is currently still a zombie. But it’s not like Obito is going to up and sacrifice himself then and there with the Rinnegan all for Madara’s glory, so he gets to call the shots since he holds all the cards.
    lol,I thought you were focusing on hiashi's shameful sentence which stated the hyuga are the strongest in the leaf, pointing out that the uchiha are way stronger. well,kishi proved that . I really disliked this chapter,I can't absolutely understand your mark this time...maybe for the first time,I'd have given this chapter a 1/5

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner King of Anime's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Madara will be betrayed by Obito trust me,you think obito would do all that work for about 16 years since Madara's Original Death? lol he would betray him.
    and yep madara probably has some backup plan.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner misc-13's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

D: ugh!!!!!!
    after all this time I have dropped this series for probably the rest of it's life span and now Neji dies!!!! Seriously!!!!! he was like one of the only characters out of 2 that actually kept me interested!!!! and now you make his character seem so important when you know you'll hurt some of your readers!!! What happened to all those times when he fought characters that were thrown together for the hell of it or a real ninja, the only big fight (that I loved btw) was when he fought that spider guy hundreds of chapters earlier before shippuden!!!! I just can't follow this series in the way I do with others!!!!!

I just need to rage right now >

yeah it's cliche when a series has no casualties and yeah it's a war but some times it just feels like the author ran out of ideas and decided to kill some one off to gain some popularity.
    it's just another dead character to add to the long long list I have >

(although it doesn't beat roxas' "death" in kingdom hearts 2 because that one was so unfair to him)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member EMS's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

great review blackjack612, and as you said about the juubi, i'm happy so far the way it looks but i think the best part is coming when the juubi hit his perfect self and final transformation..
    living in the darkness and now with a new light, i will raise to a new beginning...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ManiMan View Post
    First she stands in narutos way and distracts him against pain even after tsunades snail told everybody not to do anything so he doesnt need to worry about anyone and then instead of defending and helping naruto she stands in his way so that somebody else has to save her.
    She doesnt do much in the manga but the stuff she does is not very smart.
    Huh? Naruto was pinned down and helpless against Pain when Hinata intervened. She didn't get in the way. She didn't help much directly, but her efforts did manage to send Naruto into the rage that he needed to escape.

And Neji did the same thing Hinata was going to do when Obito attacked. The whole point was there was no time to use a technique to block the attack on Naruto, and Naruto was too tired to dodge it.

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by King of Anime View Post
    Madara will be betrayed by Obito trust me,you think obito would do all that work for about 16 years since Madara's Original Death? lol he would betray him.
    and yep madara probably has some backup plan.
    uhm,I don't see madara as Aizen,nor obito like gin... you thought of them,didn't you?

New Reply