Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Star Wars Sequel Trilogy Discussion Thread!

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

The Star Wars Sequel Trilogy Discussion Thread!

I am of the idea that this particular topic deserves its own thread. What do you think about a sequel trilogy made by disney? What do you think about star wars not being directed by george lucas? Who would you like to direct the movie? Who would you want to see in the movie? What would you like the movie to be about?

As far as disney and making the movies I don't honestly mind. Disney makes better and more consistent movies than lucasfilm in general anyways. I could have done with anakin's nonsense conversion to the darkside honestly, I still feel a tad dumber every time I watch that scene (which perhaps explains why I have seen that scene so many times)

From what I have read disney has already confirmed they want the movie to have a original script independent from the expanded universe which IMO is a bit of a good thing. As far for a director I would love to see zach snyder there. I think the whole jedi lightsaber combat and force using would be done spectacularly by him, at least much better than what lucas did during the prequel trilogy(I could do without obi wan being immune to having the lowground against darth maul while also having won the fight against anakin for having the highground- somehow thats precisely bullshit) .

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheMoa's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Star Wars Sequel Trilogy!

I'd like to see something related to Mara Jade and Luke meeting/relationship from the expanded universe, but it'll be an original story, so I'm not sure

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, luke could have a wife and and that stuff, only difference is that she will be made by disney. I kinda hope we don't see a clone of the emperor though.

I can't imagine who the bad guy would be though. The emperor and darth vader died so naturally there shouldn't be any sith left. I guess it could be some leftover from people trained by the emperor to the dark side of the force? They wouldn't be sith though... And I really wouldn't buy a sith or dark jedi being a potential ruler to the galaxy either, that was what the prequel trilogy was about.

What is the actual history of the sith though? Was there ever a sith empire before the movies or something? Was the sith history ever revealed in a cannon way?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BASED Shinigami's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not very knowledgeable about Star Wars lore, but from what I have read on wiki sites in the past pertaining to detailed star wars information (gathered from the books and comics) there are secret Sith on planets cloaked by darkness preventing the Jedi from sensing their presence somewhere in the outer rim around this time period. It's believed they are patiently abiding by their time, so they can rebuild their forces and overthrow the Jedi.

I can see them bringing back an older Luke (a Jedi master by now) to fight these forces just as he does in the books. As he focuses on rebuilding the Jedi Order (after fighting in a few wars) under the guidance of ghost Kenobi the Sith could make another appearance. That would make an interesting film.

Also, they could bring back the Emperor. He may of been destroyed in the film, but in the books it's noted his spirit endured thanks to a incredibly secret Sith technique he used when his body was destroyed by Vader. In the books it's said he made clones of his body to ensure he would live forever no matter the circumstance. Around this time frame he is secretly living in exile on some planet strengthening his clone body to match the power of his original body. It's said he must periodically transfer his spirit to new clone bodies because they cannot handle the power of the dark side for extended amounts of time. The Emperor does in fact rise to power again in the books challenging the Jedi and Luke once more. That would be another interesting film.

They could make a film about the Old Republic. There are a lot of cool things that happen during that time period and the Sith encountered by the Jedi are totally BAD ASS.

There is so much information at their disposal! There are millions of things that happen after the Empire is destroyed in the books (Darth Vader and Darth Sidious removed). Rebuilding the Jedi order, the appearance of new Sith, return of the Emperor, numerous wars, Luke has children...there are so many things they can do with this new film and routes they can take. I'm honestly so freaking excited for the seventh film. As a big Star Wars fan I hope they don't mess the new film up. As for following the continuity of the past films it's not a big deal to me. Those films didn't include a lot of important incidents that happened in the books. It's fine either way as long as they don't change too much.
    Last edited by BASED Shinigami; December 18, 2012 at 08:57 PM.
    My comic suggestions: Ecchi, Martial Arts, Historical, Harem, Adventure!

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheMoa's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

There are some ancient Sith tales in the books. Like at first the Siths weren't necessarilly evil, they just used the dark side...

I don't want the emperor back... I think it's a bad story.

O would like some new republic story, Luke with a role/age like Obi Wan in the Revenge of the Sith... with a strong pandawan(not an evil one, we just saw that).
    There could be an secret emperor aprentice(like Mara Jade) and some old Sith lord that noone knew about(not even the emperor) and was living far away
    some shit like that
    there would be the problems of the new republic with politics and old empire loyalists, the problems to restructure the Jedi order and the new enemy

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoa View Post
    There are some ancient Sith tales in the books. Like at first the Siths weren't necessarilly evil, they just used the dark side...

I don't want the emperor back... I think it's a bad story.

O would like some new republic story, Luke with a role/age like Obi Wan in the Revenge of the Sith... with a strong pandawan(not an evil one, we just saw that).
    There could be an secret emperor aprentice(like Mara Jade) and some old Sith lord that noone knew about(not even the emperor) and was living far away
    some shit like that
    there would be the problems of the new republic with politics and old empire loyalists, the problems to restructure the Jedi order and the new enemy
    That would be nice.

I agree the emperor coming back would be a bad story. I'm sure Disney is pushing for new everything. Darth Sidious was primarily the main antagonist throughout 4 of the past 6 films. His character is pretty much played out. A new Sith would refresh this franchise a bit.

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    As far as disney and making the movies I don't honestly mind. Disney makes better and more consistent movies than lucasfilm in general anyways. I could have done with anakin's nonsense conversion to the darkside honestly, I still feel a tad dumber every time I watch that scene (which perhaps explains why I have seen that scene so many times)

From what I have read disney has already confirmed they want the movie to have a original script independent from the expanded universe which IMO is a bit of a good thing. As far for a director I would love to see zach snyder there. I think the whole jedi lightsaber combat and force using would be done spectacularly by him, at least much better than what lucas did during the prequel trilogy(I could do without obi wan being immune to having the lowground against darth maul while also having won the fight against anakin for having the highground- somehow thats precisely bullshit) .
    What did you find wrong about the way they portrayed Anakin's downfall in the Revenge of the Sith? Also, I totally agree that "high ground" scene was totally retarded. There were a number of things Anakin could have down to avoid getting cut down like that, but it was inevitable he was bound to lose somehow.

This thread feels kind of naked without the "Discussion" or "Movies" header right next to the title....I don't know maybe you should add it since you're a mod...I suppose I'm being a little weird huh
    Last edited by BASED Shinigami; December 19, 2012 at 12:02 AM.

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the actual history of the sith though? Was there ever a sith empire before the movies or something? Was the sith history ever revealed in a cannon way?
    Yes there was...there was a great schism and that led ancient dark jedi to travel to Korriban, enslave the native Sith population and become rules of a hidden system...then slowly they mingled with the natives, and the dark side cult eventually ended up as being called Sith and they expanded hidden from the Republic...there are other dark side cults in the galaxy as well, so a potential plot could involve them...

Getting back to the Sith...if anyone is interested anyway...they fought directly, empire contesting the republic, until Darth Bane(and that is a trilogy that should be read IMO)...after that the Rule of Two(1 master, 1 apprentice) began and their ways changed from direct combat to subterfuge culminating with the Sith essentially ending up legitimate and legal rulers of the universe...

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BASED Shinigami View Post
    That would be nice.

I agree the emperor coming back would be a bad story. I'm sure Disney is pushing for new everything. Darth Sidious was primarily the main antagonist throughout 4 of the past 6 films. His character is pretty much played out. A new Sith would refresh this franchise a bit.
    However...the thing is that "new Sith" exist in the books already...so if Disney wants to detach from the expanded universe, then the idea of Sith Lords as villains will disappear too...at the moment there are two separate sith factions in the Expanded Universe...

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

I think a viable idea for a new trilogy would have potential villains in ex-Empire Warlords, Unknown Regions' threat...or perhaps even something within the confines of the New Republic...like internal schism, or tales of Jedi who survived order 66...there are many of those as it turns out

8. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

That would be nice.

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

What did you find wrong about the way they portrayed Anakin's downfall in the Revenge of the Sith? Also, I totally agree that "high ground" scene was totally retarded. There were a number of things Anakin could have down to avoid getting cut down like that, but it was inevitable he was bound to lose somehow.

This thread feels kind of naked without the "Discussion" or "Movies" header right next to the title....I don't know maybe you should add it since you're a mod...I suppose I'm being a little weird huh
    Just about everything at this point. Seeing the movie I just couldn't understand why in gods name anakin would join palpatine at all, specially at the very end. Yeah, he had visions of his wife dying but he never even had some notion of whether the emperor was telling the truth about his ability to revive people. To boot once he became vader he told anakin that together they could find out the secret to reviving people which basically means that palpatine does not have the sole bit of information that which motivated anakin to commit horrible and unspeakable crimes against everyone he ever loved and children. Not to mention that padme willing herself to death was crap too.

I am going to make it into "The Star Wars Sequel Trilogy Discussion thread" then

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Just about everything at this point. Seeing the movie I just couldn't understand why in gods name anakin would join palpatine at all, specially at the very end. Yeah, he had visions of his wife dying but he never even had some notion of whether the emperor was telling the truth about his ability to revive people. To boot once he became vader he told anakin that together they could find out the secret to reviving people which basically means that palpatine does not have the sole bit of information that which motivated anakin to commit horrible and unspeakable crimes against everyone he ever loved and children. Not to mention that padme willing herself to death was crap too.

I am going to make it into "The Star Wars Sequel Trilogy Discussion thread" then
    Well, he did lose his mother in the Attack of the Clones, so that incident had a major impact on his decision to join Palpatine. He had visions of his mother suffering, but he still failed in saving her when he discovered her whereabouts. It's true he had no 100% certainty on whether Palpatine was telling the truth about having the power to keep people from dying, but the fear of losing the only important person left in his life (he didn't care for Obi Wan too much) was too great for him the bear. It just goes to show desperate men do desperate things. If he had only listened to master Yoda when said learn to let go of all your fears, and be careful when sensing the future everything would have turned out alright for him. Once he did join the Sith I found it incredibly strange that Palpatine had not in fact discovered the secrets of extending life because his former master had such an ability and passed all of his known Sith knowledge unto Palpatine before he was murdered in his sleep. Anyway, after Palpatine revealed he didn't know the secrets, and that they would discover them together it was too late for Anakin to turn back at that point considering he aided Palpatine in disposing of master Windu a few minutes before his pledging his allegiance. In conclusion, Anakin was a victim of Palpatine's careful manipulation years in the making. Also, his reasonable judgment was impaired by the intense feelings/emotions he had for Padme and his own stupidity & stubbornness. There are numerous factors that led into his inevitable downfall. It's just too bad it didn't really feel believable because Hayden was so terrible in that film my god Yeah, I wasn't too pleased with that scene as well. I do wonder if willing yourself to death is possible in the real world, but how could someone determine that? Surely, George could have thought of something else.

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by benelori View Post
    I think a viable idea for a new trilogy would have potential villains in ex-Empire Warlords, Unknown Regions' threat...or perhaps even something within the confines of the New Republic...like internal schism, or tales of Jedi who survived order 66...there are many of those as it turns out
    What about Darth Krayt as the main antagonist in at least one or two of the films? I think he would make an awesome villain.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Aazholh's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Star Wars Sequel Trilogy Discussion Thread!

I really don't know where the SW story could go... The writers would have to come up with a new villain more evil than Palpatine or Darth Vader. And those guys are so iconic that it would take someone with extraordinary writing skills to come up with such a character. My expectations are way low. Which might be a good thing after the last trilogy.
    "You see, I am a colossal pervert. No form of sexual depravity is too low for me. Animal, vegetable or mineral - I'll do anything to anything!" - Bishop of Bath and Wells (circa 1563)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsNM5GOQCko

Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

What about Darth Krayt as the main antagonist in at least one or two of the films? I think he would make an awesome villain.
    I think he's pretty cool too...although I think Cade Skywalker steals the spotlight from him...but anyways, back to the movies...Darth Krayt already exists and has substantial EU material...Disney said they will create an original story, which means at least original villains as well...

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aazholh View Post
    I really don't know where the SW story could go... The writers would have to come up with a new villain more evil than Palpatine or Darth Vader. And those guys are so iconic that it would take someone with extraordinary writing skills to come up with such a character. My expectations are way low. Which might be a good thing after the last trilogy.
    The villain doesn't have to be a Force user though...which would make things more interesting...

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I suppose creating an original story isn't so bad. They have a good writer on board. I wonder who would be a good director for this film

Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

J.J. Abrams is confirmed to direct Star Wars!

Good news or bad news?

I think it's good news, since he has quite a history with sci-fi...I'm more interested in the script though, not the actual directing...
    Last edited by benelori; January 24, 2013 at 09:48 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

I think with star wars being what it is (i have never managed to accept it as sci-fi but more as a fantasy) i am of mind that j.j. abrams and his crew are the best choices for star wars. they will make some credible but ultimately weak story thou.....my only hope will be the actors,he usually gets pretty decent ppl.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it's a good fit. They say Abrams has a lot of experience directing sci fi flicks in the past (directed the new Star Trek movie as well which looks pretty cool), so it's understandable why they choose him. However, I'm not worried about his directing skills though because his credentials obviously speak for himself. Like benelori said I'm more interested in the original story they plan to create despite having so much material they could have utilized derived from Star Wars lore.

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by cearon View Post
    I think with star wars being what it is (i have never managed to accept it as sci-fi but more as a fantasy) i am of mind that j.j. abrams and his crew are the best choices for star wars. they will make some credible but ultimately weak story thou.....my only hope will be the actors,he usually gets pretty decent ppl.
    If they're arguably the best people to take on the job why would the story be weak?
    Last edited by BASED Shinigami; February 02, 2013 at 04:01 PM.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast