Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)

View Poll Results: What did Shikaku hide in the wooden box tucked away on the left shelf?

Voters
178. You may not vote on this poll
  • A stack of Icha Icha novels

76 42.70%
  • Various sextoys

20 11.24%
  • A ring to celebrate his wedding with his wife

6 3.37%
  • Letters from various kunoichi scattered among the Five Nations

16 8.99%
  • Photos of a forbidden three-way with Chouza and Inoichi

32 17.98%
  • The Seven Swords of the Mist

1 0.56%
  • The One who Knows Everything

9 5.06%
  • Rikudou Sennin

18 10.11%
New Reply
Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast

Thread: Naruto 616 Discussion

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member EMS's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Naruto 616 Discussion / 617 Predictions

@Suzaku ..
    i'm glad that someone that is more familiar with these websites that translate all this shounen,(Naruto,bleach,one piece), for example, you got a good explanation about this translator and even me that i don't know so much about this translators, i used to like mangastream more but as you said, lately their translations are kind of overboard..
    the translator is trying to make the chapter more amazing and add more drama with the words while i'm happy that manga panda might don't have great translators but they always first to realize the chapters of shounen that we love.
    living in the darkness and now with a new light, i will raise to a new beginning...

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

It's why I always try to read both versions of the chapter. Manga Panda and Manga Stream offer different words, and if one version doesn't make sense, the other might. Otherwise I stick to MangaStream for superior cleaning and redrawing.

Has anyone contacted MangaStream about their translator yet?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member SupremeMod's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

meh... reading different versions is like trying to understand two different drunk people saying the same story. You get the gist of it either way. I don't like really mind if a scanlator adds stuff like "shit and fuck" cause I'm not a 10 year old girl. Bring on the cuss words, I fucking say. lol

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Hrathgrath's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suzaku View Post
    I'm sorry, that's just not true. I don't want to get into an argument, so I'll just lay it out for you and leave it at that.

I often read the Japanese netabare scripts when they're posted on ni channel by ohana.

Around last October, Mangastream got a new translator. He really is not doing a great job. He might be a capable enough translator, but he takes far, far too many liberties with the script. He rewrites dialogue excessively, to such an extent that the meaning is often completely changed. He also adds a lot of additional profanity that isn't there in the original.

For example, this week, Naruto points to his heart and says says:

「・・・そもそも その傷が 仲間がここで生きてるってことじゃねーのかよ・・・」

My translation: "...to begin with, these wounds... are proof that your comrades live on in here..."

Mangapanda's translation: "...and anyway, that wound... means that my friends are still inside me..."

Viz Media's translation: "but it's those wounds... that prove your comrades live on inside here..."

Mangastream's translation: "even so... that is a burden I'll gladly shoulder... our comrades will remain immortal... within us."

Mangastream's translation is almost completely different from the Japanese dialogue. It barely even qualifies as translation. It's like 50% made up.

Another bit of dialogue:

「呪いだろーが何だろーが」

My translation: "Maybe it's a curse, maybe it isn't..."

Mangapanda's translation: "It can be a curse, but I don't care..."

Viz Media's translation: "Curse or not..."

Mangastream's translation: "I could give two shits even if it is a curse..."

Mangapanda and Mangastream both misinterpreted the sentence a little bit. Naruto is saying he doesn't know if [a memory of his fallen comrade] is a curse or not, but he wants to keep it alive in his heart; MP and MS took it a bit farther by having him say he doesn't care if it is a curse. Of course, MegaJero completely pulled those 'two shits' out of his ass, so I'd still have to give the nod to Mangapanda.

Sure, Mangapanda's got some occasional grammar problems and typographical errors, and their typesetting and cleaning isn't as good as Mangastream's, but their scripts are currently far more accurate. These translation issues are going on in almost every other word bubble of Mangastream's translations.

If we're talking purely about the quality of the Japanese-to-English translation, Mangapanda's got Mangastream beat. Naturally, Viz Media's got the most professional translation and the highest quality images (as they use the actual work files supplied by Shueisha editors, rather than magazine scans), but if that's not an option for you, I'd have to recommend Mangapanda over Mangastream, at least until Mangastream ditches MegaJero or MegaJero cuts the crap and starts translating dialogue that can actually be found on the page.
    There is a difference between a translation and a "literal translation" Especially with Japanese, a translator has to write what the person speaking was trying to say not what his words litteally translate to. Have you ever run a chapter through google translator?
    Each click for these guys is a level! Click and they will EVOLVE!

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Xiraiya's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry, that's just not true. I don't want to get into an argument, so I'll just lay it out for you and leave it at that.

I often read the Japanese netabare scripts when they're posted on ni channel by ohana.

Around last October, Mangastream got a new translator. He really is not doing a great job. He might be a capable enough translator, but he takes far, far too many liberties with the script. He rewrites dialogue excessively, to such an extent that the meaning is often completely changed. He also adds a lot of additional profanity that isn't there in the original.
    There have been quite a few chapters I swear were just translated with Gizoogle, it gets pretty absurd. I don't mind people touching up translations to sound more epic without changing the context/meaning, but there are limits to how much that should happen.

Quote Originally Posted by SupremeMod View Post
    meh... reading different versions is like trying to understand two different drunk people saying the same story. You get the gist of it either way. I don't like really mind if a scanlator adds stuff like "shit and fuck" cause I'm not a 10 year old girl. Bring on the cuss words, I fucking say. lol
    Unnecessary cursing and whatnot just makes the characters seem dumber, it doesn't make one seem more adult, it distorts the personality of the characters in a negative way, unless of course foul language is a part of a character's persona.

It's like a kid discovering swear words and wants to say them as many times as he can regardless of context and placement.
    Who can really take anyone seriously that curses with every second word for no reason at all?

You can't, because they come across as if they aren't smart enough to use any other words.

I don't think Naruto needs any outside help acting dumber than usual.
    Last edited by Xiraiya; January 22, 2013 at 05:40 AM.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity llamapie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xiraiya View Post
    There have been quite a few chapters I swear were just translated with Gizoogle, it gets pretty absurd. I don't mind people touching up translations to sound more epic without changing the context/meaning, but there are limits to how much that should happen.

Unnecessary cursing and whatnot just makes the characters seem dumber, it doesn't make one seem more adult, it distorts the personality of the characters in a negative way, unless of course foul language is a part of a character's persona.

It's like a kid discovering swear words and wants to say them as many times as he can regardless of context and placement.
    Who can really take anyone seriously that curses with every second word for no reason at all?

You can't, because they come across as if they aren't smart enough to use any other words.

I don't think Naruto needs any outside help acting dumber than usual.
    I can't agree here. As long as the language is used in proper meaning it can only serve to put emphasis on the words and make it feel less like a children's manga. "I don't care" and "I don't give a shit" essentially have the same meaning.
    Give the best manga of all time some attention!

# of "Miura will die before Berserk is finished" comments(since Nov. 1st 2008): 96

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Suzaku's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The difference here is that Naruto isn't even really talking about "caring" in the Japanese version. He's weighing two possibilities. "Maybe it's a curse, maybe it isn't." Or word it however you like.

Localization is important, but there's no reason to go overboard like this. I frankly think it hurts the manga, because Mangastream so frequently changes the meaning to something completely different. The Japanese dialogue is dealing with these metaphors about wounds and emotional scars, and the MS translation just goes off on a tangent and changes it completely for no benefit. The MS translation is in fact wordier and less concise.

Adding profanity to make it "feel less like a children's manga" is just lying to yourself. That's a 13-year-old's idea of "mature," which inherently makes it seem immature to me.

If you want to read a mature manga with adult themes, go read some proper seinen. I recommend Blade of the Immortal, particularily Dark Horse's Eisner Award-winning translation, which is full of profanity and slang that accurately localizes Hiroaki Samura's dialogue, because his characters actually talk like modern, foul-mouthed Japanese street punks even though it's set during the Tokugawa Shogunate.

Anyway, like I said, I didn't want to start an argument. I just wanted to point out that Mangastream's translator has been taking pretty excessive liberties with the scripts and that if you're looking for accuracy, Mangapanda's scanlations are currently doing a better job.

8. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Orochimaru-Sama's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear,i just arrived in the middle of a linguistic debate,it's just January and you guys are already on philosophical topics...To curse or not to curse?Wait September at least.

Happy new year btw.

Now concerning the chapter,well,i would like to get more privacy,no romantic BS in the middle of a big fight,not all the useless noobs that Naruto is obliged to refuel...
    I would like to see a creepy isolated fight,like Orochi vs Naruto and Sasuke,in the forest of death,during the chuunin exam.
    Last edited by Orochimaru-Sama; January 22, 2013 at 07:16 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Orochimaru-Sama View Post
    Oh dear,i just arrived in the middle of a linguistic debate,it's just January and you guys are already on philosophical topics...To curse or not to curse?Wait September at least.

Happy new year btw.

Now concerning the chapter,well,i would like to get more privacy,no romantic BS in the middle of a big fight,not all the useless noobs that Naruto is obliged to refuel...
    I would like to see a creepy isolated fight,like Orochi vs Naruto and Sasuke,in the forest of death,during the chuunin exam.
    Don't put just hopes up, the most that we got so far is talk not jutsu and not progressed in the plot..
    living in the darkness and now with a new light, i will raise to a new beginning...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member jalix's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Adding profanity to make it "feel less like a children's manga" is just lying to yourself. That's a 13-year-old's idea of "mature," which inherently makes it seem immature to me.
    You know, I'm glad someone else said it. I really don't like the profanity, and that's a big reason why. It doesn't make scenes more 'intense' in this manga, it actually detracts from it and even pulls the characters out of their element. It's almost as if it's crammed in sometimes just for the sake of cramming it in, forcing it because someone thinks it makes the scene 'more cool'. I guess that's probably the one big thing I have with some translations. A moment where the real translation would have been better, I end up rolling my eyes instead because of the useless profanity. /rant

12. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member helios_shin's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

there's one thing i don't understand about Sasuke's case.
    he's not going to see some strange people. i think he's just going to see the two elders of Konoha. by fonction they must know everything about the village's history (uchiha VS senju) and ninja's history (what is the meaning of being a ninja).

next chapter i think we will see Naruto making his move against Tobito and Madara, but failed.
    at the same time i think we're gonna see the team inside Madara's repair helping Yamato. the consequence : trouble for the juubi, inconsistencies in his form and perhaps a self destruction. or not

and we're gonna see Tobito betraying Madara at some point. on this point i have no doubt.
    Last edited by helios_shin; January 22, 2013 at 11:23 AM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

For example, this week, Naruto points to his heart and says says:

「・・・そもそも その傷が 仲間がここで生きてるってことじゃねーのかよ・・・」

My translation: "...to begin with, these wounds... are proof that your comrades live on in here..."

Mangapanda's translation: "...and anyway, that wound... means that my friends are still inside me..."

Viz Media's translation: "but it's those wounds... that prove your comrades live on inside here..."

Mangastream's translation: "even so... that is a burden I'll gladly shoulder... our comrades will remain immortal... within us."

Mangastream's translation is almost completely different from the Japanese dialogue. It barely even qualifies as translation. It's like 50% made up.

Another bit of dialogue:

「呪いだろーが何だろーが」

My translation: "Maybe it's a curse, maybe it isn't..."

Mangapanda's translation: "It can be a curse, but I don't care..."

Viz Media's translation: "Curse or not..."

Mangastream's translation: "I could give two shits even if it is a curse..."

Mangapanda and Mangastream both misinterpreted the sentence a little bit. Naruto is saying he doesn't know if [a memory of his fallen comrade] is a curse or not, but he wants to keep it alive in his heart; MP and MS took it a bit farther by having him say he doesn't care if it is a curse. Of course, MegaJero completely pulled those 'two shits' out of his ass, so I'd still have to give the nod to Mangapanda.

Sure, Mangapanda's got some occasional grammar problems and typographical errors, and their typesetting and cleaning isn't as good as Mangastream's, but their scripts are currently far more accurate. These translation issues are going on in almost every other word bubble of Mangastream's translations.

If we're talking purely about the quality of the Japanese-to-English translation, Mangapanda's got Mangastream beat. Naturally, Viz Media's got the most professional translation and the highest quality images (as they use the actual work files supplied by Shueisha editors, rather than magazine scans), but if that's not an option for you, I'd have to recommend Mangapanda over Mangastream, at least until Mangastream ditches MegaJero or MegaJero cuts the crap and starts translating dialogue that can actually be found on the page.
    You did a great job, but you can see that all the translation say the same thing in their essence. And in general, a translation takes into account the context. In my opinion, Mangastream conveys Naruto's usual personality and feelings than all the other translation you are calling great. This is the rule of translation, they are not just flat retranscription of the words.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helios_shin View Post
    there's one thing i don't understand about Sasuke's case.
    he's not going to see some strange people. i think he's just going to see the two elders of Konoha. by fonction they must know everything about the village's history (uchiha VS senju) and ninja's history (what is the meaning of being a ninja).

next chapter i think we will see Naruto making his move against Tobito and Madara, but failed.
    at the same time i think we're gonna see the team inside Madara's repair helping Yamato. the consequence : trouble for the juubi, inconsistencies in his form and perhaps a self destruction. or not

and we will see Tobito betraying Madara at some point. on this point i have no doubt.
    i will understand that "the human that knows everything" will be the elders but that scroll contained something that will changed the outcome of the war while sasuke could have learn how to use the scroll as water boy said, sasuke preferred to let that to orochimaru, there are things that only orochimaru can do according to sasuke..
    but something really got me thinking is that i the elders taren't the ones that sasuke is going to meet , why they will use the term the human that knows everything to elders?.. they could know some stuff and secrets of konoha but to called them the human that knows everything after sasuke saw the scroll?, i doubt is them, sasuke already knew about the elders being part of the massacred of the uchiha clan and sarutobi(deceased), danzou(killed by sasuke) and the elders as the only ones that knows the secret of the massacred and even then sasuke didn't name then as the human that knows everything, i think there is more to it than just a living person i mean orochimaru has to get his are back from the Shinigami (Death God) after sarutobi sealed his arms with Shiki Fuujin jutsu and if oro free his arms, he could on sealed the souls of the previous hokages also.
    Last edited by EMS; January 22, 2013 at 11:33 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Thabor's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by so6pww View Post
    In my opinion, Mangastream conveys Naruto's usual personality and feelings than all the other translation you are calling great. This is the rule of translation, they are not just flat retranscription of the words.
    But that is exactly the point, if they portray Naruto as constantly cussing when he doesn't then it isn't the same personality at all. That is one of the reasons why I can't stand to watch the Naruto anime in english. The interpretation just differs to much from the original.
    Hey Kishi, even Madara knows...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member badluckartist's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It feels like the current translator for MS is way too interested in making his translation sound 'unique'. I don't mind slang and the occasional curse word, but not at the cost of the setting's integrity. This isn't Akira or Berserk, it's Naruto. Naruto should be able to say things like 'crap' and 'damn' and 'hell', but 'shit' and 'fuck' just look totally out of place in the manga as a whole. It's 'mature' in the sense that Grand Theft Auto is 'mature'.

18. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast