Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210

View Poll Results: What did Shikaku hide in the wooden box tucked away on the left shelf?

Voters
178. You may not vote on this poll
  • A stack of Icha Icha novels

    76 42.70%
  • Various sextoys

    20 11.24%
  • A ring to celebrate his wedding with his wife

    6 3.37%
  • Letters from various kunoichi scattered among the Five Nations

    16 8.99%
  • Photos of a forbidden three-way with Chouza and Inoichi

    32 17.98%
  • The Seven Swords of the Mist

    1 0.56%
  • The One who Knows Everything

    9 5.06%
  • Rikudou Sennin

    18 10.11%
New Reply
Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 LastLast
Results 631 to 645 of 650

Thread: Naruto 616 Discussion

  1. #631
    Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Venice
    Country
    Italy
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,048
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naruto 616 Discussion / 617 Predictions

    witnessing such a strength coming from the 10tails,it's funny how choji dare to fight it in vol.57, I hope he will try it again,but this time he has to be overwhelmed! I'm waiting for sai's power-up,though,as he gave a hard time both to Sasori and to Deidara.

  2. #632
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    288
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naruto 616 Discussion / 617 Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Thabor View Post
    But that is exactly the point, if they portray Naruto as constantly cussing when he doesn't then it isn't the same personality at all. That is one of the reasons why I can't stand to watch the Naruto anime in english. The interpretation just differs to much from the original.
    They don't portray him as cursing. The one saying nonsense is Obito, and Mangastream translation is the exact think Naruto should say. Naruto saying "curse or not..." mean he doesn't care about what Obito means. This is why Managstream version is better. Usually, Mangastream make more sense to me. Take for example the last chapter. Mangapanda did a flat translation, and they end up saying that Kurama converted his own chakra. This contradict with all the other text before and after the statement.

  3. #633
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member EMS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    konoha.
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,886
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naruto 616 Discussion / 617 Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by so6pww View Post
    They don't portray him as cursing. The one saying nonsense is Obito, and Mangastream translation is the exact think Naruto should say. Naruto saying "curse or not..." mean he doesn't care about what Obito means. This is why Managstream version is better. Usually, Mangastream make more sense to me. Take for example the last chapter. Mangapanda did a flat translation, and they end up saying that Kurama converted his own chakra. This contradict with all the other text before and after the statement.
    IT makes more sense to you because you like the way the translate lately and add more drama and action with their words but mangapanda isn't the best but lately is being more accurate than mangastream..
    The only reason you get pissed off is because you want kurama and naruto being stronger than the juubi's and we provided you with evidences than naruto and kurama aren't stronger than juubi's at least not yet until naruto show another power up.
    Quote Originally Posted by so6pww View Post
    Mangastream translation is the exact think Naruto should say. Naruto saying "curse or not..." mean he doesn't care about what Obito means. This is why Managstream version is better
    just because you think this is what naruto should say that doesn't mean that this translation is right because according to you, it sounds like something than naruto might say..
    Last edited by EMS; January 22, 2013 at 01:23 PM.
    living in the darkness and now with a new light, i will raise to a new beginning...

  4. #634
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Invader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,749
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naruto 616 Discussion / 617 Predictions

    Quote Quote:
    I really don't like the profanity, and that's a big reason why. It doesn't make scenes more 'intense' in this manga, it actually detracts from it and even pulls the characters out of their element. It's almost as if it's crammed in sometimes just for the sake of cramming it in, forcing it because someone thinks it makes the scene 'more cool'.
    This. I don't care if it is in fiction, media, or real life speech... 99.9999999999999% of all profanity is uttered by a stupid person who lacks the vocabulary to properly express themselves - and so they fall back on swear words in an effort to appear more mature than they really are. People with real intelligence do not require profanity for any reason. Whenever I see or hear profanity, I evaluate the person using it as having failed to communicate.
    Hidan... Naruto's ONLY real villain!

  5. #635
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Muhbaer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Country
    Austria
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    273
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naruto 616 Discussion / 617 Predictions

    I'm sure I'm not the first to say this, but I think Sasuke wants Orochimaru to edo tensei the uchiha clan. we know that danzo had connections to orochimaru, and maybe he got their dna as well.
    would make sense, since sasuke wants to know the truth or something.
    I'm just thinking with my keyboard...
    have fun, good luck

  6. #636
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    269
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naruto 616 Discussion / 617 Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    This. I don't care if it is in fiction, media, or real life speech... 99.9999999999999% of all profanity is uttered by a stupid person who lacks the vocabulary to properly express themselves - and so they fall back on swear words in an effort to appear more mature than they really are. People with real intelligence do not require profanity for any reason. Whenever I see or hear profanity, I evaluate the person using it as having failed to communicate.
    Whenever I see or hear people who dismiss the ideas of others simply due to their word choice, I evaluate the person as a pseudo-intellectual elitist dripping with condescension, unable to relate to others.

    Something no one has mentioned is that when you translate a work across languages, you have to localize it to your audience, and I think that while Mangastream's translator is certainly taking some liberties, he or she is doing an excellent job overall.

  7. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
  8. #637
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member EMS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    konoha.
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,886
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naruto 616 Discussion / 617 Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by lexx View Post
    Whenever I see or hear people who dismiss the ideas of others simply due to their word choice, I evaluate the person as a pseudo-intellectual elitist dripping with condescension, unable to relate to others.

    Something no one has mentioned is that when you translate a work across languages, you have to localize it to your audience, and I think that while Mangastream's translator is certainly taking some liberties, he or she is doing an excellent job overall.
    Really?, it is doing such a great work that is going over board and instead of translate more accurate , this translator is putting his own thoughts and giving drama and some action moments as using cursing words but you go to others websides and the translation might be little different but still the same direction..
    Mangastream was my main sources but lately, he/she added more than what the need to translate..
    living in the darkness and now with a new light, i will raise to a new beginning...

  9. #638
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Invader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,749
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naruto 616 Discussion / 617 Predictions

    Quote Quote:
    Whenever I see or hear people who dismiss the ideas of others simply due to their word choice...
    When their word choice demonstrates a deliberate use of the vulgar - then yes the person's ideas and whatever they were trying to communicate deserves to be dismissed without further consideration. The deliberate use of profanity when there are many other options available to communicate the intent shows a primitive mind, a lack of ability to express oneself, or a perversity of thought. The person needs to either be educated so as to become less primitive, instructed as to the proper and respectable way to express themselves, or reprimanded for stooping to the use of the crude and the base.

    All uses of profanity in print can be replaced with something else. Either random characters (#@$!) that denote profanity, or some other language that illustrates frustration, pain, anger, or whatever emotion is trying to come across.
    Last edited by Invader; January 22, 2013 at 04:40 PM.
    Hidan... Naruto's ONLY real villain!

  10. #639
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    Slovakia
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,376
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naruto 616 Discussion / 617 Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    The person needs to either be educated so as to become less primitive, instructed as to the proper and respectable way to express themselves, or reprimanded for stooping to the use of the crude and the base.
    And what if they don't want to? Use force?
    No, that's not how it works. Swearing is a matter of cultural (or subcultural, to be more precise) orientation. You may try to have ppl stop swearing, but old habits die hard and it's not like it'll hurt them, so they don't feel like stopping. Being insistent only makes the matter worse, since you're going to be ignored. At least that's my experience (East Slovakia... swearing, part of common speech).

    The right way is: don't like it, don't listen to it. Similarly, if you're offended by swearing in the translation, don't read it - there are many other translations for Naruto, which you can use instead.
    REVOLUTION! FREEDOM!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

  11. #640
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted ninjabot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Country
    United States
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,703
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naruto 616 Discussion / 617 Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Invader
    This. I don't care if it is in fiction, media, or real life speech... 99.9999999999999% of all profanity is uttered by a stupid person who lacks the vocabulary to properly express themselves - and so they fall back on swear words in an effort to appear more mature than they really are. People with real intelligence do not require profanity for any reason. Whenever I see or hear profanity, I evaluate the person using it as having failed to communicate.
    That's bullshit actually. Most of us posters here don't use profanity because we think it's cool or it makes us sound mature. We use it because it's been ingrained in our vocabulary through people we've spent time with like relatives and friends, media like tv shows and movies, and other times even if we don't usually use profanity, emotions get high and it simply flies free. Or, like above, it could simply be because the person using the profanity KNOWS how inflammatory and "heavy" the word is, making it right for the situation. Think about it:

    I could've called what you said "poppycock, malarkey, bull-hockey, gobbledigook, nonsense, conjecture, a presumption, or a ton of other things. But none of them would've carried the same stinging indemnification that "bullshit" carries. Everyone knows full well that when it comes to lanquage, profane words are reserved for when your emotions are heightened the most. I didn't want you to leave the conversation thinking "Oh wow, maybe I should think before typing". No, instead, I wanted you to walk away and think "AGH! I should definitely think before I TYPE!!!"

    Don't get me wrong: it's hard not to have your opinion of someone determined by first impressions. How they talk, what they look like. But for you to claim that it's the norm that people who use profanity are dumb... either the majority of people you hang out with are idiots regardless of how they speak, or you simply feel the need to defend your lack of profanity usage. I don't like tons of profanity in my manga either, but only because it seems out of place for the characters in question. I wouldn't have a problem if Hidan, Kiba, or Suigetsu cursed like sailors, because their personalities fit it. As for those of us posting in the discussion threads, the fact that we're all adults here means we tend to expect posters to have thicker skin. Unless the words they say are specifically hurtful, calling everyone idiots IS flaming.

  12. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
  13. #641
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member stevens41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Country
    Puerto Rico
    Age
    34
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    211
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naruto 616 Discussion / 617 Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by 0Xellos View Post
    And what if they don't want to? Use force?
    No, that's not how it works. Swearing is a matter of cultural (or subcultural, to be more precise) orientation. You may try to have ppl stop swearing, but old habits die hard and it's not like it'll hurt them, so they don't feel like stopping. Being insistent only makes the matter worse, since you're going to be ignored. At least that's my experience (East Slovakia... swearing, part of common speech).

    The right way is: don't like it, don't listen to it. Similarly, if you're offended by swearing in the translation, don't read it - there are many other translations for Naruto, which you can use instead.
    Actually swearing CAN hurt you (in the general sense, not you specifically). If you go to a job interview and you start swearing, believe me, you are very likely to not get the job. When you meet the parents of the person you are dating, believe me, if you start swearing they are not going to have a good impression of you. There are many more examples of how swearing nilly willy just for the heck of it can hurt you or your interests. Moving on.

    I am expecting this coming chapter to show what the last phase of the "strategy" is because I know it is not over after Ino and Shikamaru's jutsu, there's got to be more, there just has to LOL.

    Maybe once they manage to deal some real damage to the 10 tails, Kishi will leave us with a cliff hanger and switch back to the Kages OR Sasuke. But that's just my prediction. I wish Sakura would do something aside from crying (or healing) all the time LOL, but I am resigned to never see that =) Tobi is acting like a child and I can't wait for him to get spanked. Madara is another story all together casue he is a tough cookie, especially now with unlimited chakra and immortal body.

    Patiently waiting for tomorro's chapter *crosses fingers*

  14. #642
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Suzaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Country
    United States
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    611
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naruto 616 Discussion / 617 Predictions

    I use profanity quite frequently in my personal life, though I'm generally ascribe to the belief that a precision f-strike is more effective than carpet f-bombing.

    I however believe that equating profanity with maturity is an extremely immature thing to do. Children swear all the time. I started learning to swear when I was in the fourth grade.

    When we're talking about translation, adding profanity should be done with care because Japanese doesn't have a lot of actual profanity. Yo you need to take into account the words used and their context, the character's personality, as well as the material itself and its target audience.

    Naruto's kind of a punk, and a trouble maker, and a prankster, but he's generally pretty innocent. He can be boastful and confident, but he's not foul-mouthed or vulgar or even particularily rude. Moreover, the general tone of the series is pretty light, and the characters are all pretty young. Plus, the manga is primarily aimed at a generally younger audience, mostly adolescents and teenagers. Taking all of that into account, I would keep his use of profanity pretty light, limited to things like crap, damn, ass, and hell.

    If we look at another series, like One Piece, the general look and feel of the series is very light hearted. It's more of an adventure and a comedy. Luffy's a pirate, but he's also innocent and purehearted enough that he could ride Kintoun in Cross Epoch. I would generally avoid having him use profanity in this series altogether, apart from the rare poignant, dramatic moments. I'd translate his catchphrase (frequently translated as "I'm gonna kick your ass") more literally as, "I'm gonna clobber you!" (ぶっとばす is traditionally translated as something like "clobber" or "thrash").

    However, if we're looking at a series like Blade of the Immortal, that's a seinen series aimed at adult audiences, dealing with adult themes. Hiroaki Samura also did something a bit unique with the dialogue in the series by having the various outlaws and renegade swordsmen talk like modern Japanese street punks and gangsters. Manji talks like an uncouth criminal. Criminal slang and profanity should be used pretty liberally with him. In Dark Horde's superb translation, he says things like "yeah, I whacked a few guys in my day" or "you fuckin' morons are about to get cut up." That's perfect, because he talks like that in the Japanese dialogue.

    Adding profanity to Naruto's dialogue when there isn't even a hint of rudeness or vulgarity in the original dialogue is not staying true to character or the original author's intent. It's the translator imposing his own thoughts on the reader. That's not good translation, in my book.

  15. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
  16. #643
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Bloomerwedgies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stumptown
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    189
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naruto 616 Discussion / 617 Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by ninjabot View Post
    I could've called what you said "poppycock, malarkey, bull-hockey, gobbledigook, nonsense, conjecture, a presumption", or a ton of other things.
    This made me laugh like crazy, because I imagined how funny would it be if we all talked like that on the forums. It would be just precious.

    Poster A: Well, such-and-such and blah-de-blah, etc.
    Poster B: Oh, pish tosh and nonesuch. I have never heard such utter bunkum.
    Poster A: Indeed? Well, I thought your hypothesis regarding so-and-so was a stagecoach load of guff and hooey such as I have never before been subjected to.
    Poster C: Now, now, friends, let us keep our tempers. Gloves on, lads.
    Poster B: You are living in hope that your palavering twaddle will go unnoticed, Poster C!
    Poster A: Who is the hokum salesman now, Poster B? You are both peddling tommyrot!
    Poster B: Preposterous! Poster A, your balderdash is showing!
    Poster C: I've had enough of this cavalcade of horsefeathers. I think you shall forgive me if I do not wish you good day.
    Poster A: Well, somebody's nose is certainly in the air.

    And then they all got banned for abusive language, but were eventually forgiven when they talked it out over sidecars and pink gins at the local drinkery and thereafter became the best of chums forevermore.

  17. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
  18. #644
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Invader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,749
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naruto 616 Discussion / 617 Predictions

    Quote Quote:
    And what if they don't want to? Use force?
    Certainly not. Such a violation of free speech is a barbaric as the practice of using profanity itself. Such crutches are only for the weak.

    Quote Quote:
    We use it because it's been ingrained in our vocabulary
    And where - good sir - did THEIR 'grain' arise? The root of the profane is the expression of a though in vulgar language. Every child that enters the public discourse learns what words are and aren't 'bad' by the time they can speak unless the parent is negligent of the child suffers from Turrets. Even you yourself doubtless keep your profanity in check when in generalized social situations such as work, school, offices, and so forth. Since that is so, you then CHOOSE to use the profane in less stringent environments such as "teh internets".

    Since you maintain two speech registers (one profane, and one not) then your use of the profane is - in fact - a CHOICE you make for shock and/or some other purpose. Therefore my original argument stands. You are not some helpless tool of your raising with no ability to choose a better path. You deliberately stoop to the vulgar for purposes of 'big talk' (IE increasing your volume), or because you find it humorous. Neither is a laudible or acceptable choice when there are many other options you could use instead.

    But - that's my opinion. I don't pretend to be the final arbiter of speech. I merely call it as I see it, and recommend you select a higher path than tossing out the occasional profanity thinking it puts emPHAsis to what you say.
    Hidan... Naruto's ONLY real villain!

  19. #645
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member EMS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    konoha.
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,886
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naruto 616 Discussion / 617 Predictions

    What's going on with spoiler?, we used to get spoilers before the chapter came out while most of them were fake but they were fun to read and discussed and sometimes they were real ones ...
    I forgot when was the last time that we got one..
    living in the darkness and now with a new light, i will raise to a new beginning...

New Reply
Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts