Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your thoughts on Chimera Ant arc haters ?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GingFuriksu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What are your thoughts on Chimera Ant arc haters ?

What do you guys think of people who hate the Chimera arc ?

In my personal opinion... I just can't see how you wouldn't like this arc... its hands down the best written arc in HUNTER x HUNTER...

Guess people don't like complexity ?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are your thoughts on Chimera Ant arc haters ?

Well I certainly disagree with them. It's my favorite arc thus far.

But I think the main reasons for the hate are:

1. The hiatuses.
    2. The art
    3. The ants.

First the hiatuses. The Chimera Ant arc isn't the first time there's been a hiatus (and certainly not the last) but it's a long arc and it was plagued with
    hiatuses. It did take a bit of patience waiting for the new chapters. This is one reason why I HIGHLY recommend reading the volumes because
    you get to read it all in one go.

Second the art. The art in the MAGAZINE version was scribbly and bad. And since a lot of people just read that they got a bad first impression.
    Again I highly recommend reading the volumes because the difference in art is remarkable.

Thankfully with the new anime and thus new fans these first two "problems" won't be an issue. And so when Madhouse gets to the Chimera Ant Arc
    I think new fans will treat it much more fairly than some of the manga readers.

Finally the ants. Some Anime watchers may also hate it for this reason. Hunter x Hunter has always had magical beasts but for a long time they weren't
    really in the spotlight--until the Chimera Ant arc. Since Yorknew tends to be the fan favorite (no doubt thanks to it being the "highlight" of the 99 series)
    and it has a bit more "realistic" story containing pretty much only humans I think when people saw all the weird looking ants they thought that Togashi
    had "lost his touch" or something like that. It's like how people LOVE the Soul Society arc in Bleach but HATE the Arrancar Arc and especially Fullbring arc.
    In truth story wise there really isn't much difference between Soul Society or the Arrancar Arc except that in the former Ichigo fought Soul Reapers
    and in the latter Ichigo fights Arrancars. Bleach is always just Bleach. The setting and villains might change but the way Kubo tells the story is the same.
    Only the Fullbring arc brought something new to the table in that it was less about fighting and more about the mind screw. But still it was very Bleach.

But getting back to the Chimera Ant arc yeah it has a LOT more fighting and has all these weird ants--but at it's core it is STILL very much HxH.

I think there are a lot of fans who are only fans of elements of the story and not so much fans of what the story truly is.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrsticky005 View Post
    Well I certainly disagree with them. It's my favorite arc thus far.

But I think the main reasons for the hate are:

1. The hiatuses.
    2. The art
    3. The ants.

First the hiatuses. The Chimera Ant arc isn't the first time there's been a hiatus (and certainly not the last) but it's a long arc and it was plagued with
    hiatuses. It did take a bit of patience waiting for the new chapters. This is one reason why I HIGHLY recommend reading the volumes because
    you get to read it all in one go.

Second the art. The art in the MAGAZINE version was scribbly and bad. And since a lot of people just read that they got a bad first impression.
    Again I highly recommend reading the volumes because the difference in art is remarkable.

Thankfully with the new anime and thus new fans these first two "problems" won't be an issue. And so when Madhouse gets to the Chimera Ant Arc
    I think new fans will treat it much more fairly than some of the manga readers.

Finally the ants. Some Anime watchers may also hate it for this reason. Hunter x Hunter has always had magical beasts but for a long time they weren't
    really in the spotlight--until the Chimera Ant arc. Since Yorknew tends to be the fan favorite (no doubt thanks to it being the "highlight" of the 99 series)
    and it has a bit more "realistic" story containing pretty much only humans I think when people saw all the weird looking ants they thought that Togashi
    had "lost his touch" or something like that. It's like how people LOVE the Soul Society arc in Bleach but HATE the Arrancar Arc and especially Fullbring arc.
    In truth story wise there really isn't much difference between Soul Society or the Arrancar Arc except that in the former Ichigo fought Soul Reapers
    and in the latter Ichigo fights Arrancars. Bleach is always just Bleach. The setting and villains might change but the way Kubo tells the story is the same.
    Only the Fullbring arc brought something new to the table in that it was less about fighting and more about the mind screw. But still it was very Bleach.

But getting back to the Chimera Ant arc yeah it has a LOT more fighting and has all these weird ants--but at it's core it is STILL very much HxH.

I think there are a lot of fans who are only fans of elements of the story and not so much fans of what the story truly is.
    Hmmm, I see.

Yeah I totally get where you're coming from with the last sentence.

Still though.. it just boggles my mind how you can hate this arc... Togashi fan's should have seen it coming. This arc is pretty much the Chapter Black arc of HxH. Everything from now on is going to hit the fan.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member MegamanX195's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Haters gonna hate.

6. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MegamanX195 View Post
    Haters gonna hate.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GingFuriksu View Post
    Hmmm, I see.

Yeah I totally get where you're coming from with the last sentence.

Still though.. it just boggles my mind how you can hate this arc... Togashi fan's should have seen it coming. This arc is pretty much the Chapter Black arc of HxH. Everything from now on is going to hit the fan.

not everyone reads yuyu hakusho.

I didn't. But I still love hxh

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kindredxiuxiu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I never had a problem with it. In fact, I think the arc was pretty damn brilliant. Then again, I'm one of those lucky people who didn't experience those hiatuses. I think it's a great arc and certainly an emotional roller coaster ride for Gon and Killua.

Mr Sticky pretty much summed up my thoughts about it. It's like this: crappy art... hiatus.... crappy art.... hiatus... these ants suck.

Though I'll add my two cents into this. Gon and Killua have a lot of fans, but there are also a lot of Kurapika fans (and Leorio and Hisoka fans) who were likely missing their favorite characters. You have Greed Island, which was relatively short, with Gon and Killua, but you also got to see the spiders, their motives, and Hisoka. Then suddenly Gon and Killua are transported to Kite and all these other characters suddenly don't matter, until you see the spiders again for 2 or 3 chapters before they're off on their way again. I think leaving characters who played such a crucial role earlier on in the series out for the length of the Ant arc hurt the overall reception to it.

11. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member heron bpv's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

One detail that I have seen here in this forum before is that some of the haters regard the ants as things that come from nowhere. To me, it seems as if people with this opinion lack the ability to accept that the world of HxH is bigger than it's show in the panels.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kindredxiuxiu View Post
    I never had a problem with it. In fact, I think the arc was pretty damn brilliant. Then again, I'm one of those lucky people who didn't experience those hiatuses. I think it's a great arc and certainly an emotional roller coaster ride for Gon and Killua.

Mr Sticky pretty much summed up my thoughts about it. It's like this: crappy art... hiatus.... crappy art.... hiatus... these ants suck.

Though I'll add my two cents into this. Gon and Killua have a lot of fans, but there are also a lot of Kurapika fans (and Leorio and Hisoka fans) who were likely missing their favorite characters. You have Greed Island, which was relatively short, with Gon and Killua, but you also got to see the spiders, their motives, and Hisoka. Then suddenly Gon and Killua are transported to Kite and all these other characters suddenly don't matter, until you see the spiders again for 2 or 3 chapters before they're off on their way again. I think leaving characters who played such a crucial role earlier on in the series out for the length of the Ant arc hurt the overall reception to it.
    Yeah but see that's why I don't like some of these manga fans at times. They're so used to shit being like One Piece for example. All the main characters are always together...

Togashi knows when and when NOT to use characters. Kurapika and Leorio had NO purpose being in the Ant arc.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kindredxiuxiu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Yeah but see that's why I don't like some of these manga fans at times. They're so used to shit being like One Piece for example. All the main characters are always together...

Togashi knows when and when NOT to use characters. Kurapika and Leorio had NO purpose being in the Ant arc.
    I saw it more as a "coming of age" arc for Gon and Killua who are still quite younger. It would've been weird for Leorio or Kurapika to stay there. Yeah, I know it sucks that your favorite character hasn't been in the story for x number of chapters, but at least when Togashi separates his characters it makes sense, for the most part (the Gon and Killua parting was abrupt to me, but still made logical sense all things considered).

It's really just a combination of factors that contribute to fans not enjoying this arc as much. I mean, haters are going to hate. People abhor the 2011 anime version and refuse to accept it. There's not much you can do about that. Everyone's going to have differing opinions on these sort of things.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I do think that there is much more acceptance of the ant arc these days at least with the more hardcore fans such as us.

Is it ok if I call us hardcore fans? I think we are pretty hardcore HxH fans around here.

18. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I do think that there is much more acceptance of the ant arc these days at least with the more hardcore fans such as us.

Is it ok if I call us hardcore fans? I think we are pretty hardcore HxH fans around here.
    Well yeah I guess lol I consider myself a hardcore HxH fan. Its my favorite manga of all time.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I once saw this quote that says: "Even if HXH has no faults, its author is full of faults". You can't look at the Ant arc without the context of the hiatus. It is indeed very irrating and people have right to be annoyed.

At any rate the Ant arc is overrated in terms of its brilliance. It's pretty clever but some of the plot elements got seriously out of control. It didn't dissolve into total nonsense but it's not nearly as tight as Yorknew or even GI. You basically have a gathering of most physically powerful characters in HXH and yet there is only one fight that wasn't a beatdown (Pufu versus Morel). Not to say the beatdown fights aren't good, but ultimately it's still just a beatdown (Gon versus Pitou, for example). You had this hype about how the endless human ability to commit evil was what made Meryem actually feel fear, but this evil turns out to be 'we got nukes' and 'we got poison'. I was expecting this evil to have something to do with Komugi. There's a lot of evil things you can do taking advantage of Meryem's love for Komugi but that never happened.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I heartily disagree but then again I am a Chimera Ant arc lover. But anyhow I haven't seen you post in a while Phantron. Where ya been?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I heartily disagree but then again I am a Chimera Ant arc lover. But anyhow I haven't seen you post in a while Phantron. Where ya been?
    Since there's no new HXH there isn't very much to talk about.

While we probably will never know the true reason for the hiatus, in the interviews with Togashi it seems to imply he got frustrated with how everything was going and either didn't have the creative energy or the whatever to finish.

So the Ants arc isn't something like Yorknew or GI that is started as and finished as one coherent arc. The hiatus occurred at a spot where it is not clear to anybody how the story can finish in a satisfactory way.

Now whether the way the Ant arc ended is satisfactory or not is likely a matter of personal opinion but it was never smooth sailing. I remember during the hiatus there are all kinds of rampant speculation on how it'd end, and none of the proposed endings was satisfactory to everyone. Let's not pretend Togashi has some thought process that nobody else can possibly understand so he can come up with this magical ending that will appease everyone even though repeated efforts by fans failed to produce such a solution.

That is, when I see people talk about other popular manga about how this event should've gone that way, usually someone with genuinely good idea will come up with something that the consensus can agree as a good way to resolve this particular arc. This never happened in HXH. For every brilliant idea you'll always have someone who can point you somewhere else in HXH on your idea totally violates what it means to be HXH. And in the end, Togashi's solution turns out to be no better than the crowdsource ideas. Some people think it's great and some people think it's an affront to everything HXH stands for. I don't particularly dislike the Ant arc but I think it's responsible for digging HXH into a bigger hole but that comes after the Ant arc. It's not a good ending but perhaps there really was no way to end the Ant arc in a satisfactory manner.

23. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast