Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tower of God Chapter 126 Discussion/127 Predictions

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tower of God Chapter 126 Discussion/127 Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    All right, you tell us that, but what exactly does Wangnan, in your opinion, do to make the story funnier and more interesting? I just don't see it. Were you amused by the scene with him and Quatro? It was a pretty bad joke, in my opinion. Wangnan was pushed by SIU in the beginning of S2 and in the afterwords as perhaps being more important than Baam, but he hasn't done anything with him. The ring thing wasn't explained and Karaka even has one. I hate when comedy and gags are forced onto you and that's what Wangnan is used for.
    If you have to explain a joke, it is no more a joke. You see it or you don't. And it seems some readers can enjoy Wangan. That is all. So, it's fun when you talk about 'us', since you talk as if you were an ambassador of a corporation or something.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, if you gus follow the TOG gossips, Wangnan wants his horn(s) to grow (whatever that means).
    I also like Wangnan. SIU said that the new team is hiding their past from each other... So let's give him some time.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member mup's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sizel View Post
    Well, if you gus follow the TOG gossips, Wangnan wants his horn(s) to grow (whatever that means).
    I also like Wangnan. SIU said that the new team is hiding their past from each other... So let's give him some time.
    for starter i don't like wangnan simple as that it is not recriminating to not like a character and wangnan just bug me

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Daniel's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Good chapter.

I actually like this mini-arcs. Emile was very interesting. And now we're seeing Horyang's story, Cassano and a little interaction between Koon's and Baam's team.

I don't dislike Wangnan, but I don't like him either xD. For now he is neutral, more or less. I agree that his interaction with Quatro was lame. And I also find Wangnan and by the way Prince, with his sudden change, way too childish for ToG. Miseng was alright because that was her character from the beginning, Wangnan a bit as well, even if I would prefer to see the important issues about him, obviously related to his ring, actually Karaka having the same ring only makes me more curious. But SIU will definitely get there, now it's Horyang's turn.

My problem with Prince is not only his sudden change, the thing is he was introduced as a more or less strong kid. But after he became all goody goody, he has been portrayed as an idiot.

Still overall I like S2 method of approaching characters, by not having one single main character, giving space to others. First Wangnan, then a bit Yihwa and now Horyang. Where SIU is failing for me is that S1 characters were much more interesting hehe. The problem with Wangnan is that he was given a leading role but nothing important of his character was shown, I found that disappointing.

Anyway, I'm excited to see Cassano and anxious for the next chapter, for that I have to give credit to SIU.
    Last edited by Daniel; January 06, 2013 at 04:36 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Daniel:
    Prince is childish because he's a child. Even though he acted like he was no.1 high ranker in the beginning, he's still a child, and after being in a normal ("young master *squee*" is not normal) environment, and especially with Miseng, who seems to be about his age, his true personality came out (although he still pertains some of his old nature, like when he was talking about beating Urek ).
    I also find the change in him too sudden, but I find the former personality weird, not the latter one.
    So Prince is just being as childish as Miseng.
    Erfworld

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member GOOMOONRYONG's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Really good chapter and the next few should be awesome! For the last few chapters I have been wondering if Viole will meet Koon but I have my doubts. I see the battle between everyone happening and then Viole reaching Horyang after Koon and friends have pulled out. I'm sure Horyang will resolve his issues with Kasano but I don't know if he will get killed or just captured. I have a feeling those two will talk and Kasano will esacpe somehow leaving Koon with the only option of withdrawing. I could be wrong and I would like Viole to at least see Koon but I see them leaving before Viole gets there.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    If you have to explain a joke, it is no more a joke. You see it or you don't. And it seems some readers can enjoy Wangan. That is all. So, it's fun when you talk about 'us', since you talk as if you were an ambassador of a corporation or something.
    While that's great and all, it didn't answer the question that I asked the user in question. :rolleyes Instead, you just told me that you like Wangnan, something that still doesn't tell me why you like Wangnan. I asked the guy what, in his mind, made Wangnan funny and interesting. Did I get an answer to that? Of course not. All I got was sarcasm and people telling me that Wangnan's not that bad.

I get the jokes, that's not it. I just don't find them funny. There's good comedy, there's bad comedy, and then there's comedy where jokes are being stuffed down your throat. Wangnan's probably in the bad comedy section because the jokes aren't being shoved down your throat, but they're often pointless and we'd serve better not having them. I'm not against comedy, but I don't like Wangnan.

Tell me this. Would you rather see Wangnan or some character that you like from S1? For me, having to endure Wangnan's quips and everything is taking away from the time that I could be seeing Androssi. SIU created Wangnan, but then failed with the buildup and creation of his character. Even Akraptor has more to his character than Wangnan.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Daniel's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 0Xellos View Post
    Daniel:
    Prince is childish because he's a child. Even though he acted like he was no.1 high ranker in the beginning, he's still a child, and after being in a normal ("young master *squee*" is not normal) environment, and especially with Miseng, who seems to be about his age, his true personality came out (although he still pertains some of his old nature, like when he was talking about beating Urek ).
    I also find the change in him too sudden, but I find the former personality weird, not the latter one.
    So Prince is just being as childish as Miseng.
    The concept of "child" is not clear in ToG since people can live hundreds of years and still look like a kid there. And we don't know the age of pretty much anyone. Prince initially behaved as a spoiled brat no doubt, but he had personality traces that don't fit with his current one imo. For example his initial relation with Yihwa implied he was "mature" enough to have sexual interests already, he would also abuse his power to get advantages there. Now he behaves like a complete child, that only acts "tough" sometimes (when not distracted).

I'm not saying his age/appearance or whatever make his new personality more logical or not, I can't judge characters based on appearance in ToG. The thing is he was presented as something else, and then just because his right hand man betrayed him (something he would do himself if necessary in his old self), he suddenly changed to a masculine version of Miseng with some "tough guy" childish attitude. I didn't like the change, being sudden and unexplained made it worse.

For these reasons I find Prince much more of a failure as a character than Wangnan, that although a little boring, is more consistent.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

All right, you tell us that, but what exactly does Wangnan, in your opinion, do to make the story funnier and more interesting? I just don't see it. Were you amused by the scene with him and Quatro? It was a pretty bad joke, in my opinion. Wangnan was pushed by SIU in the beginning of S2 and in the afterwords as perhaps being more important than Baam, but he hasn't done anything with him. The ring thing wasn't explained and Karaka even has one. I hate when comedy and gags are forced onto you and that's what Wangnan is used for.
    I just found his interaction with the rest of the guys funny. Especially in those first few chapters. You don't find it funny? Ok, not like I care. Nor am I the one to tell you or anyone here what's supposed to be funny.

Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!

(thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I find Wangnan much more interesting than, say, Hatsu...

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member mup's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sizel View Post
    Well, I find Wangnan much more interesting than, say, Hatsu...
    what do you find interesting of his character could you explain in detail (like) is a very broad word

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member world is wide's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wangnan is great. Everybody in the tower is full of issues: a past dragging them down, the top they will do anything to get to, the friends they make as they climb, and balancing all those things against each other. Many of the characters seem to get bogged down or trapped in their thinking making the atmosphere dark and cloying, but Wangnan lightens it all up with his simpler gordian knot style of balance.

Example from this chapter would be Baam explaining chasing after Horyang with a long exposition comparing his own lonely past, but Wangnan didn't need all those words and made an even better explanation basically saying "lets go ask Horyang why he left"

Also entertaining is the size of his ambition. It would be safer for him to try to climb the tower slower with much more training, but since his perseverance has worked for him it is hard to say that it is wrong

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

daniel:
    The "not being able to guess age" only applies to rankers or high grade regulars. 100F guardian can grant immortality, and time passes slower when you're higher in the Tower. Prince was climbing quickly, and was told to be selected as a regular quite recently. With his strength (I suppose he was quite above average, as most significant chars in Baam's team) and his dad's money, I don't think it was hard for him to pass the lower floor tests after 2F (they were said to be quite easy), so his aging shouldn't have been significantly affected.
    I only assume Prince is a child by mental and physical age (sort of, since the concept of years in the Tower is different from ours) by comparison with Miseng. If I didn't know his personality when he was introduced, I wouldn't have found anything strange about it whatsoever. But it's much more reasonable to believe he's young and tries to act tough than to believe he's mature and acts like an idiot sometimes, based on his looks.
    About the sexual interests: boys get to know about that quite soon .

Strictly subjective character analysis: I think Prince 'changed' after witnessing that he's not exceptionally strong as he thought and was made to believe, and that ppl he considered below him were much different. Notice Prince's obsessiveness with being the strongest, saying how he won't forgive that FUG bastard for beating him at the test, etc., and how he treated Horyang, thinking he showed all at the test. Then, he saw that Horyang was holding back by far, and even though Rapdevil was claiming to be the DOTRA, he wasn't bothered by it, and only took out the devil when it came to saving Prince's life. That kinda triggered the thoughts in him, that the strong don't show off (BTW I can confirm that those truly exceptional in some field don't seem so at all, and see their rare mistakes exceptionally well). That IMO was the reason he stopped acting so cocky, taking Horyang as an example.
    Erfworld

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member s2k03's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The reason why i dont really like wangan is because, at the beginning of Tog bamm was introduced as the main character and we saw his struggles, we saw him progress and he grew on us. Then all of the sudden in S2 SIU decided to change it up and replace bamm and that pissed me off, cause why would you do that when you spent all that time on bamm its like a big troll tbh. Im glad he didnt go through with it though (:

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

While that's great and all, it didn't answer the question that I asked the user in question. :rolleyes Instead, you just told me that you like Wangnan, something that still doesn't tell me why you like Wangnan. I asked the guy what, in his mind, made Wangnan funny and interesting. Did I get an answer to that? Of course not. All I got was sarcasm and people telling me that Wangnan's not that bad.

I get the jokes, that's not it. I just don't find them funny. There's good comedy, there's bad comedy, and then there's comedy where jokes are being stuffed down your throat. Wangnan's probably in the bad comedy section because the jokes aren't being shoved down your throat, but they're often pointless and we'd serve better not having them. I'm not against comedy, but I don't like Wangnan.

Tell me this. Would you rather see Wangnan or some character that you like from S1? For me, having to endure Wangnan's quips and everything is taking away from the time that I could be seeing Androssi. SIU created Wangnan, but then failed with the buildup and creation of his character. Even Akraptor has more to his character than Wangnan.
    You miss the answer:

Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    If you have to explain a joke, it is no more a joke.
    This means: "if I have to explain why he is funny, he will be no funny anymore". In other worlds: it is impossible to asnwer that question you asked, because it is just a matter of personal taste. Or, in other worlds: I can't explain why he is funny, I just have fun when I read about him in the comic.

The implication is: you won't find him funnier if someone explains something about him. It is not about reasons or argumentation or explanation, its about laugh. And also: you can't criticize someone because he finds him funny.

Or you find him funny or you don't. That's my answer. Hope you understand it.

New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast