Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 761 by cnet128 , Bleach 597 (2)

View Poll Results: Rate this chapter! (Average rating: 6 / 10)

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 (It's over 9000)

0 0%
  • 9 (top five BEST chapters)

0 0%
  • 8 (Epic)

3 12.50%
  • 7 (Good)

9 37.50%
  • 6 (Average)

7 29.17%
  • 5 (Below Average)

1 4.17%
  • 4 (Bad)

1 4.17%
  • 3 (Horrible)

1 4.17%
  • 2 (top five WORST chapters)

2 8.33%
  • 1 (Painful- words can't even describe it)

0 0%
New Reply
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Claymore 135 Discussion / 136 Predictions

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claymore 135 Spoiler Thread

Could it be that Priscilla was conceived when her dad was already infected? He seemed to care for his family despite being a yoma, and only ate them when he had no choice.

2. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Claymore1's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ulquihorror View Post
    Could it be that Priscilla was conceived when her dad was already infected? He seemed to care for his family despite being a yoma, and only ate them when he had no choice.
    I thought that as well, it would even help explain why priscilla was so strong. If she already had yoma DNA in her then the mutation process would have had a different effect on her and thus give her extraordinary strength and yoma energy.

Personally i didn't think much of the chapter because I don't find priscilla that interesting. To me it is like getting a backstory on Dietrich when we already knew what happened to her. It seemed unnecessary for the whole chapter to be that way. However, I won't bitch and moan about every little thing that i disliked in the chapter; that is not my style.
    Last edited by Claymore1; February 03, 2013 at 01:05 PM.

4. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Goral's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Some observations questions after reading this chapter (I'm too lazy to write a more coherent post):

1) It's the first overweight woman I've seen in Claymore. Until this chapter I thought that only super-models exist on the island

2.1) How were people infected? Probably MiB came into town, talked about youma and Claymores and during that time injected someone with a parasite (ironic right? Baiscally they were charlatans who were spreading the disease to profit from the antidote and improve the disease by the way).

2.2) We know youma can't reproduce so how else could it end up in the body of Priscilla's father? We also know now that youma can't replace one host with another otherwise it would leave P's father body and go to the first family that had to endure the confinement.

3) Even if it was a youma, who can turn a blade against their beloved family? - Why did it say that? He wasn't afraid of women was he ;P? I like ulquihorror's idea, that's a very interesting thought which would explain his affection towards her..

4) Interesting that only Clare turned around. Either everyone else suck at youki reading or Yagi wanted us to see that Clare knows it will be her turn to shine soon.

5) Again they can hear from miles away (Chronos and Lars).

6) So wait, Riful intentionally helped Priscilla to have a more fair fight with her? WTF?

6. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Rigald's Avatar
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

@Goral

For 2.2. Didn't we learn in an earlier chapter that Yoma have to change hosts because their host's body breaks down from their transformation?
    (Chapter 126, page 10, or around there)
    Now, why it didn't leave Priscilla's father is another interesting question. Maybe being dumb, plot hole, another logical explanation like fear of given away for some reason, I don't know.

For 3. I'd say that simply he wanted to make them rethink the idea cause he didn't like it. No need to overthink everything.

For 6. Riful didn't look like helping Priscilla to me, more like trying to kill her. What she says could very much be arrogance, trying not to show weakness to the opponent, which I often see in Claymore. Except if she/it is so conceited now that she wanted to help Priscilla then crash her so the real Priscilla would feel all the pain or something along the lines ..

8. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Shiek927's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy to see the scanlated chapter! Unexpectedly, my overall enjoyment of it was much higher then simply with translations.

Firstly, getting at the title (as wickedsmile went into)...we have to recall Priscilla's curious amnesia...I believed for awhile (http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=840), that, not simply possessing two distinct personas (the cute big brown-eyed human-persona... who had a normal life, became a warrior, fought Teresa, agreed to travel with Isley, clung and traveled with Raki holding back...versus the sharper-faced malevolent AB persona, who killed Teresa and the rest of the Slayers, went on a rampage, fought with Isley, awoke in the town with Adult Raki (and saved his life), and has been present since), that both sides don't have the memories of the other side, which is what they are trying to get back....if this is true, then it coincides with this chapter as this Awakened persona would not remember her human past in such a vivid way...it's all black to her, like the back of your eyelids....to name the chapter 'The Eyelids Memory" I think was a symbolic way of saying she could not remember this moment, but now she can.

The little side quotes at the beginning and end of the chapter....as ever, I can't take them too seriously given how weird they always are; nothing particularly weird in this chapter (though I suppose the bit about the rule(s), with the deliberate 's' in parenthesis, intrigues me....the 'rule' undoubtedly refers to the rule referring to warriors who eventually kill eachother, regarding Teresa...but of course, their were all sorts of other rules that Priscilla never really understood)...but, overtime, given how they usually stick out like sorethumbs compared to the rest of the chapter, I don't pay attention to them too much.

Much of the chapter seemed to refer to the Elder's curious plan of trying to trap the Yoma...what do I think of it? I honestly have to think more on it, but the sorethumb is definitely what actually happened...when the Yoma is trapped inside the family and awakens - Priscilla certainly proved her Offensive status by fighting instead of fleeing, but of course, we already knew that. In fact, their wasn't essentially anything we didn't know already that the flashback showed...I imagine, or hope, this will change since it seems we will get more flashbacks as time goes on....to what end? Hard to say, but it's something I can't say I really am not curious about....that we may finally get this girl streamlined and get some concrete answers after all these years; I don't know what Yagi will do, but I'm curious to find out.

Her family seemed to be a bit on the inconsistent side, and I was having difficulty seeing how many their were -- we know she has her mother/father, and brother/sister, which makes five in total...sometimes though, It feels like another pops in at points, which I guess wouldn't be surprising given they are a big family, but I felt a little lost at times.

One thing, above all, got my attention this chapter that I feel needs to be touched......Priscilla's father.....doesn't he look familiar? Doesn't he look like a certain hunky guy that she clung onto for seven years? This whole scent-business made things more convoluted then it needed to be, but I feel alot of details would be alot more understandable if what clung her to Raki was actually that he seemed so much like her father; the plot could very well go in that direction....lots of things to ask and consider, but that's what got my attention this chapter. I'm sure it's not a new idea by any means, and I probably made it myself at one point or another...but actually seeing this chapter and what he looks like, it definitely crossed my mind.

The rest of the chapter was honestly not as interesting....firstly, this moment with this Riful-thing, was actually surprising - was Priscilla really that close to death? We know she was preocupied with Raciella, and that this Riful-thing all along was only damaging the Destroyer was actually something I didn't expect (though that Priscilla was never truly damaged; that was obvious), but with the whole memory bit and so on....This whole chapter seemed to echo, once again, previous chapters....Priscilla let herself be pummeled from "Riful", not simply to rid herself of Raciella, because the barrage of shock was to help her further regain her memories, as before with Infected Dauf....I wonder though, if she reacted too late, if she would have indeed died under Riful. In any rate, she succeeded in both of her objectives.

That's what leads into, flat-out, the weirdest strangest part of this chapter -- that Riful was apparently holding back......Um, why? She was? For what purpose? That honestly seemed weird to me, like she only said it to sound cool/desperate because Priscilla wasn't actually fighting...Rubel says that she really is "beyond AO's"....it all, frankly, makes me want, as interesting as these Priscilla flashbacks are, that we really need to figure out what this Riful thing is next - she is simply too (seemingly) powerful for her to go without her origins explained anymore.

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

Quote Quote:
    Not only is this a curious idea ulquihorror, but it's also the first time I've seen you not post this hilarious sexual quip XD

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gooral
    1) It's the first overweight woman I've seen in Claymore. Until this chapter I thought that only super-models exist on the island
    It's all subjective Gooral....if anything, I never felt their were many warriors who were deliberately intended to be "beautiful", and those were personally never my favorite; eye of the beholder.

Still, I see your point .

Quote Quote:
    2.1) How were people infected? Probably MiB came into town, talked about youma and Claymores and during that time injected someone with a parasite (ironic right? Baiscally they were charlatans who were spreading the disease to profit from the antidote and improve the disease by the way).
    .....I honestly forgot all about the parasite; for some reason, that already feels like ages ago....what a huge change that was; your idea here though, fits with the cruel irony of the Org to a T....they would do something like this -- but what is the antidote? the warriors?
    You know, there are as many ways to live as there are people in this world...and each one deserves a closer look.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

@Rigald
    Yeah, I thought that somewhere in the manga there was an information about youma transferring from one host to another but couldn't remember where (thought that it was in the 2nd chapter where youma took elder's body) and in the end I assumed that Yagi wouldn't make such an oversight. Yagi could still try and patch this plot-hole though by saying that Miria didn't know shit (I assume that she's the one talking, everything seems to indicate that).

@Shiek927
    Yeah, Claymores are the antidote (vaccine would be a better word though).

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member gernot's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claymore 135 Discussion / 136 Predictions

While I have nothing to contribute to the very interesting analyses of the chapter, I hope Yagi redraws the couple of frames that show horses... if those are supposed to be real horses rather than horse-like fantasy creatures, they're in pretty bad shape and have very unnatural hooves, not to mention posture / behavior...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't mind a chapter on Dietrich's backstory, but only b/c she's the 2nd hawt-est CM in the manga

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsmile View Post
    I'm curious about Yagi's choice for the title of this chapter. At least on Mangastream it says "The Eyelid's Memory," which really does not make any sense. Are there references in Japanese languages or Japanese slang, where this would make sense? God Eye Galatea also referenced Baidu that translated the title into Memories of the Palpebral. Honestly, I had to get the dictionary for "palpebral."

Considering the focus of the chapter, "memory" makes sense. However, what do you guys think Yagi was trying to relay? In terms of the English language, how would you have translated the title, while respecting Yagi's intent. Eyelid just strikes me wrong in that it doesn't relate to the intent of the chapter. I wonder if Yagi describes an instantaneous memory flashback. A smell, a taste or a sound can bring the memory of an event, that you had long forgotten or buried deep within you.

English isn't my first language, although it has become my primary language. I recall my confused state at why everyone were describing an event as "cold." Is Yagi using a slang expression that mirrors our American's use of the expression "cool?" If that's the case, how would you translate the title given an American audience? At least to me, Chapter 100's title, "Encounter of Bitter Memories," works better for our current chapter.

That's a very good point you've raised here.

The Japanese title for this chapter is 「瞼の記憶」, 瞼 = まぶた(mabuta) meaning eyelid, の(no) is the possessive particle, and 記憶(kioku) standing for memory.

In Japanese there is a saying, まぶたのはは (mabuta no haha). It literally means "Eyelid's Mother."

It means: Because of death, or being so far away that you cannot meet, the remnant of your mother only lingers in your memory or dream.

It is a very Priscilla-orientated title.

Edit: and sentimental, considering the source of the saying.
    Last edited by Utsune; February 03, 2013 at 06:30 PM.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BleachFan2010's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by littleangel View Post
    Thinking of what you wrote, it made me think like could it be that he (her father) was the first to be made into Yoma; I don't the very first, I mean that he was a human then into a Yoma! Not eaten by a Yoma no he was made by the Organization into a Yoma!!! This could explain why he has his memories and emotions just as if he was a human.. And as we all know the strongest of all instincts is to eat! So this could explain why because he was hungry and could no longer hold himself and he had to eat his family! This makes the situation even sadder and sadder IMO.
    You mean like the first one that certain Parasite had taken over ? Yeah it could explain it, but he had already devoured another villager so he was aware of what he was. And it is sad, because he said what will happen to the family that its trapped with, maybe he was asking himself that instead of his wife. He might have seen the Yoma side of him as something that wasn't him and that he had no control other ? And once it did take control to devour his family that was why he was crying because he knew that no matter what he tried to do he couldn't control his body once the Parasite had transformed him ?

Heck for all we know the Parasite gets more intelligent the more hosts/feeds it has. Because if Priscilla had attempted to sneak up on another Yoma I think it probably would have known she was there and would have finished her off. So I think you may be right about the Priscillas father being the first host of this Parasite ^^
    Last edited by BleachFan2010; February 03, 2013 at 07:51 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shiek927 View Post

Not only is this a curious idea ulquihorror, but it's also the first time I've seen you not post this hilarious sexual quip XD
    Unfortunately, this chapter was very uninspiring in that context
    There is nothing besides Riful actually fisting Priscilla to demolition

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ulquihorror View Post
    you forget one of the yoma's primary features. the ability to all but perfectly replicate the tendencies, memories, and behaviors of someone. which makes more snese now sicne they jacked theri brain.
    the yoma only replicated, or perhaps jsut allowed, the human side of the victim. it had no intention of eating them yet because it had to continue its charade. but there is only so long until it needed to eat, so it decided to cut its losses and devour the family. unfortuantely for it it was so distracted by its gorging that it did nto realize priscilla had woken up. giving her the chance to sneak up and chop his head off.

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Night View Post
    Basically, I'm getting "empty" vibes from Riful-Doll. Mainly because of the way her eyes are drawn: them being black like pits, and the lack of pupils. I can't recall whether we've met another Awakened Being whose eyes looked like that. It could be that it's just an aesthetic move from Yagi, or a means to convey how sinister Riful-Doll is.

By empty, I mean that there is no life in them. Oh, she has yoki, feelings, can talk and so on, but I can't help feel that there is something off about her. I was thinking that (assuming the merger thing is official) it's the result of being formed from two dead ABs, but to be honest I can't put my finger on it.

Edit: @ number12michael

The love between them had actually completely slipped from my mind. It is remarkable how they were able to keep that bond for so long, and it is indeed unique in this world (though Chronos and Lars look like they could give them a run for their money; they seem more than just bros ).

Anyway, one wonders whether Yagi still remembers that bond. I guess that opens up more possibilities for the merger, given that yoki carries your identity and feelings (even when you are dead), I can see them being 'compatible' even in death.
    which is why i promote its name as Riful Doll, becuase it is empty, and replicant of someone, just like how a doll is.

Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably almost no one will be interested at this point but here's MiB version of 135th chapter:

@Gernot
    He still can't draw men either (and people in general who look too much alike for example). But with horses it's no surprise since he drew them only a couple of times in Claymore (and these are basically the only animals he ever draws and the plants we see are also one of the few).

---------- Post added at 07:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 AM ----------

And in case someone hasn't noticed Yagi has made huge changes to chapters 129 and 130:

http://mibscanlations.blogspot.com/2...version-2.html
    http://mibscanlations.blogspot.com/2...version-2.html
    Last edited by Goral; February 04, 2013 at 12:59 AM.

20. Thanks 8 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member gernot's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Since several people pointed out that "Eyelid's Memory" makes no sense, I changed the title to "Flashback". "Eyelid's Memory" appears to refer to any kind of memory you see when you close your eyes - personally, I don't see any memories when I close my eyes, and I don't suppose that a flashback requires your eyes to be closed either, but I can't think of a better word.

22. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that it does make sense and I do not know any Japanese sayings. In fact I find the title very easy to interpret, i.e. it suggests that the eyelids see what we do not see when we sleep (or they "see" the inside). In this case Yagi is referring to Priscilla's memory loss/dual personality and even though current Priscilla doesn't remember what happened, the one inside does.

As for the titles, for he most part they're strange but Yagi changes them in tankobons anyway (making huge arcs like Slashers arc I-VI or Witch's Maw I-VIII or Symbol of a knight I-IV + for chapters 128+).

New Reply
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast