Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bleach Ups and Down of the 2012.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member BrunoGF's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bleach Ups and Down of the 2012.

Character of the year: Yamamoto - finally he fought with all his power
    Best new character: Haschwald - just who is he?
    Best fight of the year: Yamamoto vs. Royd Lloyd/Juha Bach - awesome bankai, new techniques, troll moment and significant death, loved it.
    Funniest moment of the year: Rukia's ass
    Worst character: Nell, just a crying baby again.
    Worst new character: Yuki/Shino - so many details on their characters for nothing.
    Worst fight of the year: Ichigo vs Quilge Opie.

Best Moment of the Year: Yamamoto's Bankai - c'mon, we had weeks of excitment with it.
    Revelation of the Year: Juha Bach = Royd - Kubo in his best.
    Worst Moment of the Year: Byakuia's survival - Chapters of sadness for nothing
    Worst Revelation of the Year: Ichigo is a Quincy - wut?
    Most Boring Moment of the Year: Ichigo's fight against Quilge - his first big fight as a Shinigami in months and he fought like he was just sparring.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sanadan's Avatar
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

First of all this was one of the best years of Bleach period, the bad I have about this arc really is stretching

Character of the year: Yamamoto, wanted to see what he was about for a long time. Without the hax medallions the Quincys wold be toast

Best new character: I am just guessing but I think Shutara could have some really interesting stuff up her/his sleeve. I've never seen anything like those skeleton arms and starting of by pissing Mayuri of as soon as he/she arrived. Seems like a future favorite of mind (Don't worry Toshiro, you will always be my nr 1)

Best fight of the year: Yamamoto vs the Twins.

Funniest moment of the year: This one is hard but I will go with the hot springs incident involving Renji, Rukia and Byakuya getting "treatment" from Kirinji

Worst character: Previous to the latest chapters I would have said Unohaha, so slow to develop and I can't say that anymore. Driscoll takes the cake, only thing you were good for was a toasting 8)

Worst new character: Technically Driscoll could be here too but Kriege, you suck

Worst fight of the year: Ichigo vs Kriege

Best Moment of the Year: First Kenpachi

Revelation of the Year: Zero division, so many promises

Worst Moment of the Year: Nels appearance, why so short?

Worst Revelation of the Year: Ichigo gets anther skill, this one based on him getting into a prison by fighting the exact correct Vandereich member thus getting in touch with the right side of his inner being thus being able to bring it out at the exact right time to survive. It sounds like Aizen has been going at the drawing board hard again :P

Most Boring Moment of the Year: I don't know, there really were not many to point the finger at.
    Meh

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member exacta's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird0ne View Post
    Exacta...not meaning any disrespect, but Byakuya's survival was not due to fans griping. First of all, Kubo said in an interview that he has had the events of this arc planned out since the Arrancar arc several years ago. Secondly, he foreshadowed Byakuya's survival in Chapter 503 when he placed Byakuya's pic right next to the pic of Ichigo saying "I won't let you die."
    I disagree. Grimmjow was originally supposed to be killed off very early in the Arrancar Arc, but ended up fighting Ichigo more, getting more screentime and surviving due to his popularity. Plan's change, and sometimes Kubo doesn't even get to write about things he was originally planning on writing. That panel he was talking about Renji, Rukia and Byakuya, saying he'd protect them. That's not really foreshadowing, and even if it was, having even Byakuya's hilt start to disintegrate later really came as a strong sign of his death, not to mention that speech he gave. I really think Kubo changed his mind on killing Byakuya. That's just my personal opinion. And I like Byakuya too.
    Last edited by exacta; January 07, 2013 at 05:12 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Firebird0ne's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by exacta View Post
    I disagree. Grimmjow was originally supposed to be killed off very early in the Arrancar Arc, but ended up fighting Ichigo more, getting more screentime and surviving due to his popularity. Plan's change, and sometimes Kubo doesn't even get to write about things he was originally planning on writing. That panel he was talking about Renji, Rukia and Byakuya, saying he'd protect them. That's not really foreshadowing, and even if it was, having even Byakuya's hilt start to disintegrate later really came as a strong sign of his death, not to mention that speech he gave. I really think Kubo changed his mind on killing Byakuya. That's just my personal opinion. And I like Byakuya too.
    I can see the sense in that argument, but I believe that when Byakuya and Renji fought (correct me if I'm wrong), Renji's sword and hilt shattered as well. And he only lived because Rikichi broke Hanatarou out of prison to help him. By that logic, Renji too, should have died. So, I guess you can argue either side of that. Thanks for answering!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member EMS's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

one of the downs of beach is the freaking animate gong off and then, Yamamoto's Bankai really could be stolen by batch and felt for a copy cat of batch, it make a fool of the captain commander..
    living in the darkness and now with a new light, i will raise to a new beginning...

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member River_Capulet's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

• Character of the year: Yamamoto Genryusai hands down, no argument here XD
    • Best new character: Guess its haschwald, kinda like a new Gin.
    • Best fight of the year: Yammamoto vs fake Yuha Bach
    • Funniest moment of the year: RG entrance
    • Worst character: Ginjou... don't ask
    • Worst new character: quilge opie, so annoying
    • Worst fight of the year: Rukia vs Riruka
    Best Moment of the Year: ZANKA NO TACHI !!!!!
    Revelation of the Year: Yachiru Unohana, the first Kenpachi
    Worst Moment of the Year: Byakuya came back to life
    Worst Revelation of the Year: Ichigo = quincy...
    Most Boring Moment of the Year: Intro of two new shinigami in KT

I love threads like this )
    Last edited by River_Capulet; January 09, 2013 at 05:53 AM.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Character of the Year: Shigekuni Yamamoto

It's not even a question. Definitely the star of Bleach this year.

Best New Character: Kiriniji

I just love this guy. Can't wait to see him in action.

Best Fight of the Year: Shigekuni Yamamoto vs Bach/Royd Lloyd

BS ending included, this is a candidate for best Bleach fight period.

Funniest Moment of the Year: The Hot Springs scene

Rukia's "peach" was the highlight.

Worst Character of the Year: Soi Fon

Her whining was so damn immature. You're a Captain; you should be above that.

Worst New Character of the Year: Kirge Opie

I want to like the guy, but he was so damn fanatical.

Worst Fight of the Year: Kurosaki Ichigo vs Kirge Opie

Too much BS, but this was unfortunately necessary to establish the Quincies as a huge threat and show off their powers.

Best Moment of the Year: Zanka no Tachi's release (frame of the year for me as well)

I had goosebumps as soon as he released it.

Revelation of the Year: Unohana was the first Kenpachi and her real name is Yachiru

The only moment of epicness that stands even with Yamamoto's Bankai.

Worst Moment of the Year: Any of the breaks

Seriously, this entire arc has started with a bang and has me constantly refreshing my browser every Tuesday/Wednesday a new chapter comes out so I can read it immediately. The breaks are agonizing.

Worst Revelation of the Year: Bankais cannot be repaired

It just feels so forced so Kubo can change the design of Ichigo's Bankai again.

Most Boring Moment of the Year: The First Chapter of the Arc

Seriously, that's the only chapter this year where I felt forced to read it. I don't really care about the new Shinigamis introduced the whole chapter is one moment drug out for a long time.

I would also suggest since this is Bleach and art is so vital that you add a Panel of the Year or Drawing of the Year category.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by River_Capulet View Post
    • Worst fight of the year: Rukia vs Riruka
    I think Rukia vs Riruka wasn't between 479 and 522. The FB arc fights don't count

Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuteiken View Post
    I think Rukia vs Riruka wasn't between 479 and 522. The FB arc fights don't count
    Yeah your're right , so i'll vote for it being bleach's worst fight ever

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by River_Capulet View Post
    Yeah your're right , so i'll vote for it being bleach's worst fight ever
    Rukia's backfired Soukatsui was a great scene, though

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sanadan's Avatar
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't get why Byakuya being alive is such a bad moment for so many. Why? The of screen fight with Kriege was a lot wore imo. There were other moments too, to have one of the best characters be alive and leave room for improvement seems like a good thing to me
    Meh

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sanadan View Post
    I don't get why Byakuya being alive is such a bad moment for so many. Why? The of screen fight with Kriege was a lot wore imo. There were other moments too, to have one of the best characters be alive and leave room for improvement seems like a good thing to me
    I agree. The fight with As Nodt was just chilling, and the suspense played out over time with us going back and forth between thinking he was dead and then him still being alive was agonizing. But it did have me racing to see the next chapter for weeks on end. And I was almost too scared to read when the messenger arrived and started to give the report on Byakuya's fate. I almost cried when it turned out he had survived. I was relieved, and really curious what Kubo was up to. It was great when Byakuya, Rukia, Renji and ichigo were whisked away to the spirit dimension and honestly, the 'Byakuya tossing' had me rolling on the floor. I can't wait to find out how Byakuya is mentally when he does wake up. And with Rukia there, it should be interesting how he interacts with her after feeling that he failed her. There is a lot of potential development there. And when he trains up and heads back to Soul Society, I think he will be a stronger person for all he's been through.

Byakuya is the head of the greatest of the noble families that serve the king. It makes sense that he would have a role in what happens with the SK.

Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

What's bad is that he was heavily implied to be dead, and a bunch of panels were also wasted as if it were his last moment. Take a look at Kenpachi's case, he didn't get even one panel after his defeat. Byakuya is one of my favorite char, but killing him and reviving is not a good way to promote a popular char.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that what Kubo was going for was to really drive home the point that Byakuya was in true peril. From the beginning of the manga, Byakuya has been a pillar of strength, one always stepping in and rescuing his sister. He was shown to have crazy reiatsu and excellent fighting ability. He is also an icon of the noble families who serve the king. He is the only character who Kubo made the point of focusing on as an example of nobles and noble values. Byakuya won most battles easily early on.

After his defeat by Ichigo, he changed mentally and in terms of battle. The fights became progressively harder. so that we saw some vulnerability there. He actually bled more for each win. Emotionally, he showed more signs of affection for Rukia and respect for Ichigo and Renji. So, he grew there too. I think he became more well-rounded as a character.

The final arc began with the fall of Soul Society. And to show that, Kubo showed us attacks on the Gotei 13, the noble class and shinigamis. Three icons fell in those battles; Yamamoto (Gotei leader), Byakuya (leader of the greatest of the noble clans) and Kenpachi (a symbol of shinigami strength and fighting power). These were really symbolic battles that drove home the point that the quincys were striking at the 'heart' of Soul Society. Nothing in those battles was wasted (to my thinking). Yamamoto died and both Byakuya and Kenpachi were gravely wounded. Byakuya was never 'dead and brought back.' In true badass style, he remained on his feet until the very end and waited until it was assured that Ichigo would accept the burden of protecting Soul Society before allowing himself to lose consciousness. Yamamoto and Byakuya's battles needed to be shown to create the 'Oh my gosh, the **** is really hitting the fan here' vibe. Those battles gave me goose bumps. So, again, nothing was 'wasted.' Kenpachi's battle couldn't be shown, I think, because it might have given away too much.

Now is a time of rebuilding. The RG and captains are rebuilding the Gotei 13, and Byakuya (the icon of the noble class) is being 'rebuilt,' appropriately with the SK's intervention through the Royal Guard. This is the way the relationship between the SK and the noble class is being supported. Kenpachi's training indicates a revival of the shinigami fighting spirit. I love the way Kubo has done all of this and can't wait to see Soul Society pick itself up again. I don't believe that more major characters dying was necessary at all. The point was made with Yamamoto that all were vulnerable. Had Byakuya died, there was no established character who is noble, who could express the revival of the king's noble servants. Rukia can't truly do that, because she is adopted and not noble by blood. Kenpachi also needed to survive to show that the shinigami fighting spirit lives on.
    Last edited by Firebird0ne; January 09, 2013 at 07:23 AM.

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member NoOneInParticular's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, there's the fact that it was so heavily implied that he was dead. I mean, he got a proper sendoff that was actually really nicely done, and then the whole thing is just negated with him being alive. But even then, he was in a coma and it was said he may never return to fighting form (which I admit would have been pointless), but even that is negated by Zero Division coming in and healing him.

At the end of the last arc, not one single Shinigami with a name was killed or defeated or anything. It kind of made the Arrancar look like a bunch of bumbling fools. The Vandenreich have actually achieved things, and they're much better villains for it. It removes the air of predictability. They succeeded in killing Yamamoto, which was great, but in a way his death was pretty much a necessity. Byakuya's death was more hard-hitting in a sense, because he's the last person you'd expect it to happen to, given his status as a character. I don't know, had Kubo not gone so far in implying his demise it wouldn't have been so bad, but to give him an actual death scene and then just undo it felt like taking a step backwards.

Killing off characters can make for some great drama if done right. If overdone it becomes meaningless, but Kubo seems to have gone to the other extreme thus far and it just makes things feel too... safe. Byakuya's case was just some kind of horrible tease; it made it look like Kubo was ramping things up, only for hiim to pull it back.

Anyway, I'm surprised so many people disliked Quilge (the character, not the battle, although I quite liked the battle too). I thought he was a fun character.

20. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast