Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 33 of 134 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 83 133 ... LastLast

Thread: Nurmeedurrp thread.

Moemin 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member 3c's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Everything All The Time

Catalonia...

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    It's funny because everyone says that and you're the one who made it umad!
    I mash keys, things happen. I can't be held responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by 3c View Post
    Catalonia...
    Maybe he's a Barça fan. He always seemed more like a Madrid type of guy. I wonder if he's pro-independence.

Moemin 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member 3c's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Catalonia becoming independent would be hilarious. Barca would become a member of the french league. What a challenge that would be. 100% winning streak.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Més que un club

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

Catalonia becoming independent would be hilarious. Barca would become a member of the french league. What a challenge that would be. 100% winning streak.
    Don't laugh at PSG bro...dat oil money

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I know Catalonia has ties to Occitan, but would FCB really move to the French League?

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

If he's a Catalan then I'm going to be a Basque.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I know Catalonia has ties to Occitan, but would FCB really move to the French League?
    I would doubt that. I sort of see it being how Wales is included in the English Premiere League. There is more than one Catalonian team in La Liga after all, it would be sort of stupid to kick them out, political difficulties aside.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wales isn't an independent country.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

No it isn't, but it's the only comparison I could make off the top of my head.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

In football terms it is, which funnily enough is actually why they had to go and make a league.
    Certified Mafia Game Shit Talker

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    No it isn't, but it's the only comparison I could make off the top of my head.
    Scotland would have been closer. Pro-independence parties control the local of government of Scotland and Catalonia. Catalonia though has not been allowed an independence vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperium View Post
    In football terms it is, which funnily enough is actually why they had to go and make a league.
    Wales is not part of the Premier League? What about Northern Ireland?

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Scotland would have been closer. Pro-independence parties control the local of government of Scotland and Catalonia. Catalonia though has not been allowed an independence vote.
    Not in soccer terms, but it's a decent comparison too, for other reasons. The difference is there's Welsh teams that play in English leagues. As far as I know there aren't any Scottish teams doing so. They have their own system. Same with Northern Ireland.

Wales does as well, as Imp explained. Why it's like this, I'm not sure. But if Catalonia ever became independent, they'd likely have their own league like Wales does, but I doubt Barcelona and Espanyol would leave La Liga.

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Wales is not part of the Premier League? What about Northern Ireland?
    It's the English Premier League, they are not part of it. Neither is Northern Ireland. The four constituent countries of the UK have separate football associations, mainly because the game was codified here. They also have separate leagues the same way they have separate national teams.

Those 4 football associations also have a disproportionate amount of influence over the sport and they jealously guard that (there is jealousy from other nations because of that as well) so you get quirks that come out of this. The welsh teams playing in England, the GB olympics football team only having English players etc

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imperium View Post
    It's the English Premier League, they are not part of it. Neither is Northern Ireland. The four constituent countries of the UK have separate football associations, mainly because the game was codified here. They also have separate leagues the same way they have separate national teams.
    I sort of wondered why a Great Britain team was allowed to compete in the London Games, seemingly only because they were hosting. Wonder why that was allowed.

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

They usually do not form a single team. It's a mixture of mainly two things, national pride (the main reason the populace is against it) and the amount of influence each football association has would diminish as the argument they should become one would be stronger. All four have a special status within foootball, all four members are part of IFAB (International Football Association Board). The body that decides the rules of football. Each of the four gets one vote on any new rule, and FIFA is given 4 votes. For a new rule to be added, there needs to be 6 votes. So basically if FIFA wants something done it needs the acceptance of at least two of the UK's football associations. Can you imagine how much this annoys other countries? Especially the other Europeans and south American. Hahaha. If they could they would jump at the chance to make them all into one football association.

Anyway, any hint of a one UK national football team is consistently squashed. But for the Olympics the UK needed to field a team in every sport, so they had a dilemma. After years (literally) of anguishing over what to do the 4 associations came to a decision to field a team of only Englishmen thereby excluding the other nations. The other nations said they would not participate (even though FIFA assured them their special status would be not be challenged, they quite smartly dont trust them) and stayed out.

This is also related to why Wales has a league, they originally didnt have a league and all the welsh teams played in the English football pyramid but around the same time the Premier league was being formed in the 90's they decided they need a separate league for welsh teams otherwise their status as an independent football association could be challenged, so all the welsh teams that played in England were told to join this new welsh league. There were exceptions to the ones that were already in the football league (i.e. upto the 4th division of the time, anything below is the conference), so basically all the teams that were too shit and didnt get promoted into the football league by then were told to play in the welsh league. A little bit of football politics for you.
    Last edited by Imperium; January 25, 2013 at 08:17 PM.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I mean Swansea has been in the EPL from the start. There's also Cardiff, but they've never made it that high. I think there might be others but it's only a handful.

Yeah, the politics are a mess...nothing really relatable to something here.

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

If Catalonia or Basque gained independence, it really wouldn't make sense for Barca, Espanyol, Sociedad, or Bilbao to leave the Spanish league, too much money left on the table for both sides. But who knows.

Thread Closed
Page 33 of 134 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 83 133 ... LastLast