Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
Thread Closed
Page 38 of 134 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 88 ... LastLast

Thread: Nurmeedurrp thread.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Everything All The Time

Quote Originally Posted by Imperium View Post
    Arent they the moneyball team?

We have also the only English team to have never been relegated. So thats something! It might get depressing but it never gets that bad!
    You mean relegated before the Premier League started? Because I think there's a handful of them who've always been in the EPL.

And yeah they are. They're known for manufacturing talent and then never keeping them long enough to really win anything. But prior to this they were pretty successful, winning four titles since being in Oakland. They're usually pretty competitive though. It's a loose comparison but it sort of fits.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Well of course, the premier league has only been on going since 92. But yea I meant throughout the history of the top flight. We were promoted to the first division just after ww1 and have not been relegated since. We have longest consecutive top flight status and as a consequence the highest average league position during the 20th century.

I watched the film but I havent read hte book, the film was quite good. I suppose keeping the players is the most difficult part of it. I think liverpool followed that moneyball approach for a while and that is what led to Downing, Henderson and Carroll. xD I'm guessing baseball is less egalitarian than other american sports?
    Quote Originally Posted by gnut View Post
    ...i could pimp in bulgaria...my game tight like that

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Among the team sports, yes. Mainly because there's no salary cap at all. It's the most capitalistic of the major sports leagues.

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there any significant pressure to introduce a cap? Personally salary caps are the best thing about American sports imo.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Teams in smaller markets always push for it, for obvious reasons. Though, baseball has been so archaic in it's thinking for so many years in nearly everything that it probably isn't happening anytime soon. It's the most analogous sport here to club soccer. We have minor league teams on several levels, designed to develop amateur talent (high school kids and college players) for the big leagues. The game is older than all the others, and is about as old as soccer, has a ton of history and tradition, etc.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    So why should one root for Arsenal? Other than being a masochist?
    Johnny Rotten was a supporter

Arent they the moneyball team?

We are also the only English team to have never been relegated. So thats something! It might get depressing but it never gets that bad!
    Arsenal is the team Kroenke owns, no?

I watched the film but I havent read hte book, the film was quite good. I suppose keeping the players is the most difficult part of it. I think liverpool followed that moneyball approach for a while and that is what led to Downing, Henderson and Carroll. xD I'm guessing baseball is less egalitarian than other american sports?
    Moneyball stats are awesome. Stats mean more in baseball than in any other sport though. The moneyball stats actually say a lot more about players than traditional ones. If you ever want to know the best all around baseball players, check wins above replacement (WAR). Never fails.

Baseball only has the barest of redistribution systems. Football has the most. Not only a salary cap, but teams can not even strike their own media distribution deals. Television contracts are worked out by the league, and money distributed evenly between teams. Player contracts are not fully guaranteed either, when players are cut, most of their contract is voided, no different than anyone else laid off or fired. All easier to do when teams only play 16 games a year.

Television contracts for baseball teams have exploded in recent years. Even some of the small market teams have been able to take advantage. Sports is the last refuge of live TV. Advertisers don't have to worry about viewers watching on demand, or DVR, and skipping commercials. Baseball is the most popular sport where the teams strike individual local television contracts. The Los Angeles Dodgers just struck a deal worth between $7 and $8 billion (over the lifetime of the contract), expected to be worth $350 million a year. Most of the big market teams are beginning to cash in. There is a huge discrepancy between the have's and have nots. It's shrunk, to some degree, with smart teams (like Oakland or Tampa Bay) able to identify and sign talent with a small budget. Tampa is even pretty good about keeping their best players, though only a select few.

Is there any significant pressure to introduce a cap? Personally salary caps are the best thing about American sports imo.
    During the 1994 season, fearing the owners would insist on a salary cap in their next contract, the players went on strike. The players won. The new contract did not contain a salary cap, and the owners have not dared ask for one ever since. The baseball union is much older, and much stronger than those in other sports.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member riki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Wrecking Ball 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish stats based analysis which was used in Moneyball can be successfully applied to soccer. Juergen Klinsmann went to America to do this thing, but unfortunately his effort to bring American sport sciences to Europe was futile.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    I wish stats based analysis which was used in Moneyball can be successfully applied to soccer. Juergen Klinsmann went to America to do this thing, but unfortunately his effort to bring American sport sciences to Europe was futile.
    He did? I think I heard something similar. To me, as someone who played a bunch of different sports...I sort of scoff at sabermetrics, because it's a game, not math. However, the business side always takes precedent, and because it "works", and I say "works" because the Oakland A's have never had the ultimate success using this method.

Though I wonder if it could be applied to different sports with the same results as baseball. Who knows really, it's a bit over my head.

Wrecking Ball 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Considering that I witnessed several sport teams which are using sabermetrics - not professional teams, though - are quite successful, I believe that the usage of statistic in sport is not something I'd hate. So in general I think if the team's budget can be used more efficiently, why not?

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

on completely unrelated note, Minami-ke is funnier than ever.

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

So how excited is Baltimore getting for this weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Johnny Rotten was a supporter
    We've had an eclectic mix of alleged supporters. Ranging from Osama bin laden to the Queen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Arsenal is the team Kroenke owns, no?
    He owns around two thirds of the shares, the rest is owned by a shady soviet uzbek billionaire, Alisher Usmanov.

Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Pfft billions - now that something a percent of what I'd like to see. But regarding the game - I don't feel like Baltimore will win - not to say that cant.
    Just a pre game hunch or premonition thing if you will as of right now.

Who is favored?

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

How accurate are you pre game hunches usually?

Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

How accurate are you pre game hunches usually?
    I would not put much stake in it.

... 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member 3c's Avatar
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    That seems to happen to a bunch of players who come to Madrid. Stars becoming roleplayers. Hopefully he'll be in form for the World Cup, would be cool to see him perform well...so we don't have to hear about Neymar for months

Fo'sho. Too bad Arsenal v Liverpool is being played at the same time. Luckily it's being replayed later that night. Coppa Italia is on after the Clasico too, Inter v Roma. It'll be cool to see Michael Bradley play. It would great to see the team get enough points for the Europa League.
    Who else has gone from so godly to so average? I can't think of any... Maybe my mind is dull. Kaka got destroyed by injuries and never finding back to his form. It's not Madrid's fault. It's not like Madrid has forced him to stay for so long. Kaka hasn't used the transfer windows because he loves the club and its players.

Who cares about Arsenal v Pool, the latter is a joke of a team. I hope Arsenal keeps a clean sheet and keeps Suarez at bay, so I get good stats in the fantasy league.

Thread Closed
Page 38 of 134 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 88 ... LastLast