Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2) , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Maoyuu Maou Yuusha

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
    Producers: Arms
    Director: Takahashi Takeo
    Series Composition: Arakawa Naruhisa
    Character Design: Kudo Masashi
    Original Creator: Mamare Touno
    Starring: Ami Koshimizu as Maou, Jun Fukuyama as Yuusha
    Episodes: 12

The story is set in a world embroiled by war between Humans and Demons. The Humans' greatest hero invades the Demon Queen's castle determined to vanquish her. However, instead of fighting back, the Queen proposes an alliance with the Hero. She explains how a sudden end to the war can bring further chaos to the world as the Humans once united to stand against their common enemies would eventually begin fighting among themselves, with similar issues already occurring at the Demon Realm. Convinced by her words, the Hero joins forces with the Queen and together they execute a plan to bring prosperity and a lasting peace to both Humans and Demons alike.

New From the Director of Spice and Wolf
    Last edited by Kaiten; January 04, 2013 at 11:17 PM.

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [Featured] Maoyuu Maou Yuusha

I watched the first episode last night and I'm pretty much reserving judgment until I see more.

It was fun enough to watch and I love the premise but I don't know whether it's going to be a shallow adaptation or something that's just playful with a deeper artful undercurrent the way Spice and Wolf was.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    I watched the first episode last night and I'm pretty much reserving judgment until I see more.

It was fun enough to watch and I love the premise but I don't know whether it's going to be a shallow adaptation or something that's just playful with a deeper artful undercurrent the way Spice and Wolf was.
    I'm pretty optimistic based on episode one, there was a considerable depths to the politics of the war, as Maou presented it. There was no blanket moral judgment (war is bad, profiting from war worse, something like that), instead the situation was presented in a relatively realistic manner. Some princes were shown reveling in the spoils of war, other grimly marching on, without hop of another path. It would have worried me greatly if all political leaders were shown as immoral profiteers. I also liked that she mentioned the home front, that the war benefited civilians behind the lines too. Episode one did get a little boring, in my opinion. There was so much exposition. I suppose it was necessary, the plot can't move forward unless Yuusha agrees to an alliance. Any worthwhile hero would need a lot of persuading before joining forces with the demon queen. I am looking forward to episode two, without a doubt.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Episode one is promising, I have to say... I do love this type of plot where the world is not a black and white world. One can't say the demons are evil and the humans are good; it's so much more than that, as the Maou has explained to the Hero. Sometimes the war is not about getting rid of evil, but about surviving. It's really a promising start though the writer will have more difficulty to find a proper ending.
    I laughed a lot during this eps, though some jokes are too abrupt, IMO. They are talking about war in a minute then the next minute, the Maou is talking about fat. But, the interactions between the Maou and the Hero are hilarious, indeed. Who knows that the brave hero is nervous around a girl? Or that the Maou is as innocent as a fangirl? (LOL at her memories of hugging bolster with poor drawings of the Hero , is that a shoutout to fangirls around the world?)
    They make a deal as if they are getting married... They work to save the world with the reward of each other? Hmm.
    I can't wait to see the next eps, I wonder what they are going to do...

I still wonder what makes the demons and the humans different though... Since demons have the same appearance with humans, and apparently they don't have horns, what makes them distinct from human? I hope this issue will be addressed in the following episodes...

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member HaiSuShi's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

My reaction when she took her horns off:

If they tone down the breast jokes a bit, I could probably thoroughly enjoy this series.
    Interesting aproach, and I'm intrigued how his earlier companions will interact with him (and her).

But I totally liked that last scene.
    Naruto-kun...I've always...always been chasing after you. Even...now. But... once this war ends, I'm going to stop once and for all.
    Next time, I'll be next to you, holding your hand...walking with you! Wait for me!!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I'm pretty optimistic based on episode one, there was a considerable depths to the politics of the war, as Maou presented it. There was no blanket moral judgment (war is bad, profiting from war worse, something like that), instead the situation was presented in a relatively realistic manner. Some princes were shown reveling in the spoils of war, other grimly marching on, without hop of another path. It would have worried me greatly if all political leaders were shown as immoral profiteers. I also liked that she mentioned the home front, that the war benefited civilians behind the lines too. Episode one did get a little boring, in my opinion. There was so much exposition. I suppose it was necessary, the plot can't move forward unless Yuusha agrees to an alliance. Any worthwhile hero would need a lot of persuading before joining forces with the demon queen. I am looking forward to episode two, without a doubt.
    I've read a manga adaptation of some of the story (it's based on a light novel, i believe). If the anime adaptation is similar you can expect a lot of that unusually realistic view of a fantasy world. It's got action parts but the more important aspects are the economic, political, and personal. It takes things that we are used to seeing simplified and makes them complicated.

That's why I'm hopeful that it can bring some of the appeal and originality Spice and Wolf had, in it's own way.

Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    Episode one is promising, I have to say... I do love this type of plot where the world is not a black and white world. One can't say the demons are evil and the humans are good; it's so much more than that, as the Maou has explained to the Hero. Sometimes the war is not about getting rid of evil, but about surviving. It's really a promising start though the writer will have more difficulty to find a proper ending.
    I laughed a lot during this eps, though some jokes are too abrupt, IMO. They are talking about war in a minute then the next minute, the Maou is talking about fat. But, the interactions between the Maou and the Hero are hilarious, indeed. Who knows that the brave hero is nervous around a girl? Or that the Maou is as innocent as a fangirl? (LOL at her memories of hugging bolster with poor drawings of the Hero , is that a shoutout to fangirls around the world?)
    They make a deal as if they are getting married... They work to save the world with the reward of each other? Hmm.
    I can't wait to see the next eps, I wonder what they are going to do...

I still wonder what makes the demons and the humans different though... Since demons have the same appearance with humans, and apparently they don't have horns, what makes them distinct from human? I hope this issue will be addressed in the following episodes...
    From what I remember some demons look more human than others. A lot look about like what you'd expect. Dragons, Faires, Wolfmen, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by HaiSuShi View Post
    My reaction when she took her horns off:

If they tone down the breast jokes a bit, I could probably thoroughly enjoy this series.
    Interesting aproach, and I'm intrigued how his earlier companions will interact with him (and her).

But I totally liked that last scene.
    If it's anything like the manga adaptations the breast jokes are going to be plentiful, at least the visual ones, but it's not quite what it seems. If I remember correctly Maou doesn't think of her attractiveness in human terms. I believe the term "useless meat" comes up a lot.
    Last edited by Jammin; January 09, 2013 at 12:42 AM.

7. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    I've read a manga adaptation of some of the story (it's based on a light novel, i believe). If the anime adaptation is similar you can expect a lot of that unusually realistic view of a fantasy world. It's got action parts but the more important aspects are the economic, political, and personal. It takes things that we are used to seeing simplified and makes them complicated.

That's why I'm hopeful that it can bring some of the appeal and originality Spice and Wolf had, in it's own way.
    Because Takahashi Takeo also directed Wold and Spice, I am hopeful he preserved the realism of Maou. I have not read the manga, and hope for the best. You are right, it is based on a series of novels. I really like the premise of the series, a critique of the military-industrial complex, and also a trope buster, standing action cliches on their head. I like the idea that finally there is a fantasy anime where a lone hero defeating his ultimate foe is not enough to bring peace to the world.

Quote Quote:
    If it's anything like the manga adaptations the breast jokes are going to be plentiful, at least the visual ones, but it's not quite what it seems. If I remember correctly Maou doesn't think of her attractiveness in human terms. I believe the term "useless meat" comes up a lot.
    Personally, I can live with a little fanservice. I expect a lot, too. Studio Arms is notorious for fanservice, not to mention outright nudity. This is the studio that animated Elfen Lied (an underrated anime) after all, and the Queen's Blade anime too.

---------- Post added January 12, 2013 at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was January 09, 2013 at 01:58 AM ----------

Episode two was splendid. If only all fantasy manga were this interesting. For all the realism in episode, I never would have imagined proper land usage would be a prominent plot point. Proper land management is a major environmental security concern, including in monoculture dominated America and Europe. Maou could teach us a few things.

4-Star Loli-Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

This show is really good. The characters are very likeable.
    You can actually learn from this Anime.
    I wonder which direction the story will take.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I always loved those kind of stories (Hero and Devil Lord teaming up), so I'll probably keep watching this one.
    But, I most say that I wasn't a big fan of the breast jokes.

It's japan, so it's to be expected...
    1 or 2 is fine, but they seem to be doing those jokes over and over in this anime, having them bounce around every time she moves...

Anyway, I'll have a better idea after a few more episodes.

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

So far the show hasn't disappointed me. It's getting better.
    They have started on their plan and it's going well so far though I expect some problems in the future, especially when Alliance is involved...
    We also get to see more characters, like the new maids. Lady Knight is awesome. Behind that nun get-up, she is still so manly.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Maoyuu Maou Yuusha

I'm enjoying MMY quite a bit but episode 4 was a little...odd.

It skipped all of the hero scenes. There is at least an episodes worth of the Hero going from demon clan to demon clan. Filled with action, humor, and a fair amount of ecchi. It's just weird to see an anime bypass the chance to do harem stuff.

That being said the only part I'm a little put out over is the skipping of the part where the Hero duels the Dragon Lord and impresses him so much he unintentionally wins the Lords daughter. I liked her character and it's a shame that she's getting cut out.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Just watched episode 4 and 5 in a row.
    This anime is finally taking shape.

Most of the time, I was totally lost in all the political stuff, but now I think I'm actually starting to appreciate the anime, and even its humor.
    So, I'll definitely continue and see what else they have for us.

PS:
    Shame we didn't see all of those "princesses" that the hero met during his journey.
    It would have been the perfect time for some fillers filled with action.

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

Global Moderator 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just seen episode 1! It's an interesting pilot episode, I don't find it boring. The breast thing was meh for me but I survived because I was curious about the plot. It's interesting to see Maou's explanation about how ending the war may be worse. And definitely, looking forward to what kind of things they will do.

I love the voice actors, Jun Fukuyama is awesome as the Hero, LOL~ "Kotowaru!" is my favorite line today.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally watched eps 5 today.

I do feel a bit sad that in eps 4, the Hero's adventures are not animated... They look so exciting! Why didn't the creators make them into the anime? Budget?
    I don't like the Merchants, but I have to admit they are intelligent people. Hero gets a contender though.. *smirk* I'm hoping that the Merchant will be a strong love rival for the Hero (he deserves it for avoiding the Maou) but sadly, it seems the Maou is really loyal...

Anyway, I really admire Lady Knight. I like her reaction for Maou's confession, as expected of a nun. *chuckle* I also like how she says she won't give up on the Hero... That's what I call a strong woman!

The scene where the Hero finally meet the Maou again.. He thought he can just get away just because the Maou misses him? Ha! I am not surprised that the Maou snaps. It is another proof for how realistic the series is. If you leave a girl like Maou for a year without showing your face though you are able to, it is no wonder the girl will be mad when you finally show up.

I was a bit surprised by the Hero's puppy eyes though... That eyes are so contrasting with the series' art...

It's fun to see how they can turn a fight into a romantic scene though... Both of them are so bashful even though they were fighting just a moment ago! A bit disappointed with the end though... What will happen if the music goes on longer, I wonder...? *wink*

Global Moderator 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm up to episode 5 today. Slow, I know.
    I don't know, pretty often through the episodes I feel a bit lost at the interaction between countries, between humans and demons, about Maou's plan, about where Hero went to, about the direction the whole world is going to. Especially the explanation about the countries and their complicated relationship and political strategy, I'm kinda lost there. But the interaction between Maou and Yuusha is always funny and lovely (I SO CAN'T STAND THAT PUPPY EYES OMG OMG). The dance is a sweet reward for the meeting and another departure.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast