Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 752 by cnet128 , Bleach 587 (2) , Gintama 501 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who do you think is the best written character in the series?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GingFuriksu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Who do you think is the best written character in the series?

Because we all know when it comes to Shonen Togashi is the KING of characterization

I'm going to have to say its a tie between Gon and Meruem, why?

I think Meruem's character development was overall better because his change, questioning his own actions etc. was just BRILLIANT !!

But also Gon because his characterization had more setup to it. A 12-13 year old kid's morality and outlook of the world ( especially in the Ant arc )

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who do you think is the best written character in the series?

Gon and Killua, from the very start until current chapters, no characters have been as well written as these two.

I will give honorable mentions though:
    - Gyro and Koala Ant (great development in just 1 CHAPTER)
    - Kurapika and Leorio
    - Netero
    - Ging
    - Hisoka
    - Meruem
    - Phantom Troupe
    - Genthru

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

3. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member The Invertroid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Tie between Gon and Killua. I can't think of a more enduring and well-written fictional friendship. A love how Killua is so cheeky and cheerful despite his "dark" past. He doesn't let it turn him into an emotionless, moody emo-like character (*cough*cough* 1999 anime *cough*cough*). What's great about Gon is that he appears at first to be a typical goody-two-shoes shonen hero, but has so much hidden depth beneath the surface.

Of course, Killua and Gon have had the most screentime, so it's no wonder their such well-written characters. Togashi has obviously put a lot of thought and time into their character developement.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Killua is a character that fascinates me every time I read him. His techniques, reasoning, thoughts and feelings are always evolving and somehow never disappointing to read. He's probably my favorite in HxH.

Another character that I liked how it was portrayed was Pufu. Such a Pyscho bitch.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

7. Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kindredxiuxiu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

This is really damn hard. Everyone's so well-written, and no one is really a one dimensional character.

Of course, I will have to go with Killua as the best written. I'll echo Uriel here, but he fascinates me every time he's on screen. There are numerous layers to his personality, his way of thinking, and the overall development of his character. Gon also falls into this category, and I like Gon, but I personally enjoy seeing Killua more.

Hisoka would be a clear second for me. He's an outstanding villain, and where others you want to know more about their past, Hisoka is a character where I do not want to see his past revealed.

There's a reason Killua and Hisoka occupy my top 2 favorite HxH characters, respectively.

But in reality, I haven't come across a character in HxH who I felt wasn't well-written.

Pitou was a psychotic bitch, and Pufu was a neurotic bitch, IMO. I guess the terms are interchangeable.
    Last edited by kindredxiuxiu; January 06, 2013 at 01:44 AM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Cinnabar's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

For me it's Killua (surprise, surprise), although I think Gon and Meruem were superbly written as well. I love how their characters developed, progressing and regressing as the arcs come to pass. I want to give special mention to the Spiders though. They may not have as much screentime, but I think Togashi handles the group dynamics very well, and their personalities are distinct in that each one of them comes out as a unique individual, rather than some nameless follower.

Interestingly enough, I like the way Hisoka doesn't change or develop much. He's a very welcome constant in the series. Well, except when he didn't participate in the Ant arc of course.

I can't agree with the notion that Togashi writes all his characters well though. And the reason is because I don't think he handled Kite properly. I mean, I guess it was okay for what happened, but I think Togashi could have handled him better than how he appeared in the manga. Especially when the Ant arc came around. He seems more like a plot device, really.

I am, however, waiting for MH to change my opinion about that. I've noticed that I don't give all the characters enough attention when I read the manga, but upon watching the 2011 anime I've grown to appreciate all the other characters I never noticed before. And MH has even changed my opinion on some of the characters I get tired of, like Kurapika and the Spiders. So my opinion on Kite is not set in stone yet.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Gon and Killua really only develop properly after the hunter exam when they're away from some dubious backstory and there's time for them to interact with each other.

Hisoka i never get tired of.

The Spiders are decent too.

I thought Kurapica was great too, more in the anime than the manga.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member The Invertroid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kindredxiuxiu View Post
    But in reality, I haven't come across a character in HxH who I felt wasn't well-written.
    This is very true. Even inconsequential background characters come to life when Togashi works his magic.

Take the secondary participants of the Hunter Exam. Most of them aren't given a whole lot of back-story and yet each one is memorable. Heck, I even felt sorry for Bodoro when Killua killed him at the end of the exam. He had played literally no role in the plot up until that point, yet Togashi gave us just enough of his personality to make his coldblooded murder a dramatic event. Why else would we care that Killua killed some random guy unless he’d been sufficiently characterized?

People criticize Togashi for introducing bundles of new characters out of nowhere all at once and not fleshing them out thoroughly latter on. I, however, actually like this aspect of his storytelling. A lot of writers build layer upon layer of background information onto their characters. Often this goes too far and the story becomes overburdened with superfluous details. We don't need to know every single supporting character's life story for them to be interesting. Togashi is a lot more subtle.

Take Squalla for instance. We don't learn a whole lot about the guy’s life and he does practically nothing for the majority of YorkNew. Yet Togashi gives us enough little details; the devotion of his dogs, his motivation to give Eliza a better life, to build up his heart wrenching death. It was even able to distract us, if only momentarily, from the pressing struggles the main character were facing at the time.

Even major players in the Hunter X Hunter storyline benefit from Togashi’s minimalistic treatment of their personal history. We know next to nothing about Hisoka's past and we don't need to. It's not relevant to the kind of person he is and the role he plays in the narrative. Yet think of how many flashback sequences he would have received by now if he was a villain from any other shonen series.

Wow, this post really turned into kind of a rant. In short, Togashi rocks and so does every character he pulls out of his bat-shit-crazy mind.

14. Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zasz's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that Killua and Meluem are the best written characters, especially the latter.
    We see Meluem starting like a bloodthirsty beast, but ending like conscious of what he has done and of who he has been; his development was just awesome.
    But anyway there are a lot of well written characters such as, Kurapika, Gon, Leorio, Netero and so on.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Killua and Meruem as well.

Killua is an amazing deuteragonist, his development as he keeps up with Gon is so beautiful. He keeps getting more a more awesome with every arc.

Meruem is one of the deepest villains I've ever seen. So perfect yet, so empty. Him questioning his ways and the reason for his birth were one of the best things in the Chimera ant arc. I loved these quotes specifically :
    Quote Quote:
    Who am I? Why am I here? A king with no name. A borrowed castle. My subjects are mindless drones. If this is the mandate of Heaven I have been given...I fear...I fear nothing...except the tedium that it will bring !
    And this :
    Quote Quote:
    What power I posses...!! I've appeared suddenly only to take the so-called strength of others...and leave them crushed...!! That...is my power. VIOLENCE... that is the strongest power in this world !!
    I really liked him ! His character was amazingly done.
    Last edited by KingOfNight; January 06, 2013 at 10:37 AM.

18. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Killua is the best written character, his character has been developed in every arc since his apparition.Meruem is second for me too.

But it's the characterization of Gon which impresses me the most.Before GI arc,Togashi only gave us little hints to show us than Gon is crazy,and you have to be VERY attentive to understand this,he developed Gon's character little by little until GI arc.We really start to see that Gon is not a generic shonen hero,and after of course the Ants arc! Gon is so badass in this part!

I also liked to Pufu's character development.

20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kindredxiuxiu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    I am, however, waiting for MH to change my opinion about that. I've noticed that I don't give all the characters enough attention when I read the manga, but upon watching the 2011 anime I've grown to appreciate all the other characters I never noticed before. And MH has even changed my opinion on some of the characters I get tired of, like Kurapika and the Spiders. So my opinion on Kite is not set in stone yet.
    This was Nobu for me. Never noticed him in the manga, but MH made me appreciate him in a different light, and he's wriggled his way into my top 5 HxH characters. <3

22. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

This was Nobu for me. Never noticed him in the manga, but MH made me appreciate him in a different light, and he's wriggled his way into my top 5 HxH characters. <3
    Exactly my experience.

It was weird, since I actually HATED him before.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

24. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Cinnabar's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Me too! Haha, I never found him to be so interesting until the anime. The same goes for the Nostrade employees. Glad I got to appreciate them before they kicked the bucket.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kazna's Avatar
    Country
    Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

That's weird. I prefer Nobunaga manga version, and I find him in the 2011 anime a bit annoying. But I agree on the Nostrade employees. They got more lights in MD adaptation.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast