Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210

View Poll Results: Is Hinata about to die...

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 7.84%
  • Maybe

4 7.84%
  • No

43 84.31%
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 615 Unbreakable Bonds

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 615 Unbreakable Bonds

"Behold. This is what your ideals and hopes will achieve."
    Obito Uchiha

Welp. My flashdrive crapped out on me and ate the first copy of this review so this is my second go around. My last review, I asked you guys about the mounting body count of actual named characters and for the most part you guys thing more deaths are coming and that anyone could die. Personally, I’m kind of worried about Hinata after this chapter, but who knows if Kishimoto will be that cruel.

Naruto 615 Unbreakable Bonds
    The images in this review are credited to Mangastream.

Well, the chapter begins with Naruto still in shock from Neji’s death which prompts another discussion with Obito. Only this time, Obito’s words are starting to sink in because Naruto’s broken his oath that he won’t let any of his allies die. Obito also makes the strong case that in his new world, Naruto will be reunited with all those he lost over the years. His mentors. His parents. His friends. It’s a pretty effective speech, but luckily Hinata’s there to snap Naruto out of his funk.

She explains the meaning of Neji’s last words and illustrates to Naruto just how powerful an example he is to his comrades and friends. He’s not living for himself anymore. He’s representing an ideal. Kurama’s there too to point out that many have already given their lives gladly to entrust their hopes and dreams to him explicitly. Minato. Kushina. Hiruzen. Itachi. Nagato. Chiyo. Jiraiya.

Obito seems anxious to see Naruto’s response, as though he feels Naruto a direct mirror of his own circumstances. But when it’s obvious that Naruto won’t break, Obito goes into attack mode. But his point blank Tailed Beast Bomb is stopped by Killer B who makes a risky counter with a TBB of his own that forces the jutsu to explode inside the Juubi. The chapter ends with Naruto and Hinata ready to face their enemy together.

Meh. There wasn’t too much here that popped this chapter and the quality ranged from substandard to good. In my opinion, the highlights of the chapter were the character designs and Killer B’s great scene. It’s always great to see more of favorite but little seen characters like the Hokage. But Killer B’s scene was something else. Notice the way that the Obito has the Juubi take a defensive stance that emphasizes how there is only one opening. To see Killer B barrelling in so exposed against a well guarded opponent is pretty thrilling and tense, especially now that shinobi are dropping like flies in this series.

I felt very mixed about this chapter. There were a couple of things that I wasn’t crazy about. First, I didn’t quite buy that Naruto, who’s been so often characterized as bullheaded in pursuit of his own ideals for living, would have such a moral quandary over Neji’s death. Yes they were friends, but Naruto’s seen people sacrifice themselves before in the name of the cause. Anger or wrath I would believe, but moping stretched my suspension of disbelief. However, I’m willing to look past that since this plot point was closed so quickly.

Then there’s Hinata. She was the voice of reason and active in bringing Naruto back to his senses. That’s great. But her last inner monologue when the chapter ended felt more less like what a fully realized female character would say and more like what one would say from a man’s perspective. Would she feel close to Naruto? Certainly. Safer? Okay. But she’s held her own pretty well so far and I dislike that in the end she’s looking to someone “manly” to make her feel safe. But it’s a minor quibble and probably a result of the specific translation I read.

Otherwise, there was some solid character development with Obito and Madara, a bit of entertaining action, and callbacks to the sacrifices that have gone before, so the chapter nets a ...

4 out of 5

Predictions

Since there’s nothing this week to prove or disprove my previous predictions, I’ll carry them on here:

Still no idea what Shukaku's plan is, so that prediction will have to sit a bit. I would be surprised if Madara or Obito didn't become the jinchuriki for the Juubi now that it's been mentioned. In fact, I foresee a major betrayal by Obito coming.

As he mentions, Madara is at his mercy. The Juubi's jinchuriki must be a living person, so he's hedging his bet on being revived. But the easiest route, if they're put in a pinch, would be for Obito to assume that role himself.

One Line Reviews
    • Tower of God S02 Ch45 was slight (as S.I.U. admits in his afterwards) but it does have me excited about a possible Baam and Koon reunion.
    • Likewise, One Piece 694 was a lightweight chapter with a strong ending. The most important scene there was the cliffhanger so I won’t spoil it here.
    • Bleach 522 is my Pick of the Week mainly because the concept of zanpakuto being something that was invented and not intrinsic to shinigami intrigues me.

2. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member EMS's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 615 Unbreakable Bonds

good review blackjack, i wasn't really happy with this chapter. kishi wasted to many pages in this while he could had use two pages..
    living in the darkness and now with a new light, i will raise to a new beginning...

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shafagh's Avatar
    Country
    Iran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    4 out of 5
    well , you always giving this manga high score ... if I want score it then I will give -10 out of 5 to this chapter .... the story really didn't move forward at all . Naruto's has no answer for Tobi ( just like Nagato ) ...

anyway , I want to see Madara and Sasuke meeting .... with this bullshit that kishi writing , I'm sure Kishi won't show Sasuke and Madara conference .... he only enjoy to wasting panels with some old , boring , nonsense and and bullshits Naruto's words and with Naruto's arrogance behavior and pose ... he avoid real things ...

sigh .... I should go and rest .... it making me crazy ....
    خداحافظ

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack612 View Post
    I felt very mixed about this chapter. There were a couple of things that I wasn’t crazy about. First, I didn’t quite buy that Naruto, who’s been so often characterized as bullheaded in pursuit of his own ideals for living, would have such a moral quandary over Neji’s death. Yes they were friends, but Naruto’s seen people sacrifice themselves before in the name of the cause. Anger or wrath I would believe, but moping stretched my suspension of disbelief. However, I’m willing to look past that since this plot point was closed so quickly.
    It didn't look like moping to me as much as questioning his own resolve. He'd sworn to protect his friends and keep them from dying, and then Neji dies right in front of him along with many other alliance members. The reality of death in this war simply had not been so personal to Naruto until that moment, and Obito made sure to drive the point home as strongly as he could that Naruto could not keep his word.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

the only important thing in this chapter is neji's death and naruto's BIG AND STRONG HANDS//
    living in the darkness and now with a new light, i will raise to a new beginning...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EMS View Post
    the only important thing in this chapter is neji's death and naruto's BIG AND STRONG HANDS//
    What about Bee's intervention, plus Kurama finishing his recovery time? Really I think the chapter covered a lot while serving as part of a pause between two stages in the battle.

We also had Obito trying to circumvent the earlier mentioned holding-back he and Madara had been doing to keep the Juubi from hurting itself or killing Obito, via wrapping the juubi up in its own tails to shield itself and Obito.

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ryodraco View Post
    It didn't look like moping to me as much as questioning his own resolve. He'd sworn to protect his friends and keep them from dying, and then Neji dies right in front of him along with many other alliance members. The reality of death in this war simply had not been so personal to Naruto until that moment, and Obito made sure to drive the point home as strongly as he could that Naruto could not keep his word.
    I guess my biggest problem with this is that with Sage Mode, Naruto should be well aware of just how many of his comrades are dying or died for him. I mean, Neji was the closest death to affect him, but half the Allied Forces were wittled down in this war.

The Naruto 644 Review is up!

Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

To the poll: Hell no! What would the point of this chapter be, then?
    Not that I enjoyed it that much - ok, we've had the deaths of HQ (btw Shikaku = HQ member, Shukaku = Ichibi) and Neji, and Obito is showing Naruto how his words aren't shit, and Naruto needs to get mental support, which is important to the plot, and I like that; but this chapter could be compressed significantly and a 'romantic scene' of NaruxHina doesn't fit there at all.

Anyway, nice review.
    REVOLUTION! FREEDOM!

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack612 View Post
    I guess my biggest problem with this is that with Sage Mode, Naruto should be well aware of just how many of his comrades are dying or died for him. I mean, Neji was the closest death to affect him, but half the Allied Forces were wittled down in this war.
    With so many the deaths would be just vague things he sensed, I doubt he could really interpret the thousands of different chakra signatures in a personal way (i.e. when he first sensed the war he wasn't even sure what he was experiencing as it overwhelmed him so much), and he's only been in sage mode for short periods in this war (i.e. just now he entered and then used up the sage mode in a matter of seconds) so the opportunity to sense actual deaths occuring was limited. Regardless, I would still say it is different seeing all the death first hand rather than sensing it from afar.

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

great review balck! the analisys was very short . also,what a foresight! obito turning into the jinchuriki would really be the best solution to fit the incoming events! although it was quite predictable,I hadn't foreseen it . instead,my I tell you my forecast? well,I think shikaku and the others survived,thanks to a 4th person whoi was not shown...who is this person? eheh,kishi showed shikaku,inoichi and ao (who are important and known),with some other fodders who can die whenever kishi pleases. but he didn't show mabui,who is in HQ too. her technique should have saved them,imo.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

yes naruto should be a hardened ninja, but damn it guys, he just witnessed one of his friends and someone he aspired to be more like, die, should his shock last one panel? i think not.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ryodraco View Post
    What about Bee's intervention, plus Kurama finishing his recovery time? Really I think the chapter covered a lot while serving as part of a pause between two stages in the battle.

We also had Obito trying to circumvent the earlier mentioned holding-back he and Madara had been doing to keep the Juubi from hurting itself or killing Obito, via wrapping the juubi up in its own tails to shield itself and Obito.
    most of this chapter was obito questioning naruto about his big mouth og not letting his friends die while kurama recovering his chakra isn't a big event and bee had interving in the whole fight so this isn't a surprises, well in the first couple chapters bee didn't move a finger but besides neji dying, the rest pf the chapter was waste of pages..

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

narutos reaction to nejis death is understandable, he promised he wouldnt let any of his friends die, and you know his ninja way is to never run away or go back on his word, and hinatas reaction to naruto is her finally seeing him as a man and not as the crush, notice how she didnt faint, its her character developing, she has shed her shy persona and is ready to stand next to him not behind

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

instead of freaking killing neji, kishi could kill off tenten and eveybody will be happy..

20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EMS View Post
    instead of freaking killing neji, kishi could kill off tenten and eveybody will be happy..
    killing Tenten wouldn't have given us that epic moment of Naruto and Hinata finally 'getting together'. It had to be some one who meant alot to both Naruto and Hinata, and for Hinata to step up and become that voice Naruto needed to not throw his life away recklessly thus avoiding putting the sacrifice of all that was before him, and all those who put their faith in him, avoiding their trust in him to be in vain. if you kill tenten, who mourns?

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast