Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tamako Market

Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [Featured] Tamako Market

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    So many similar shows have yuri subtext, why not just be blatant about it? I approve. I assume Midori and Tamako won't end up dating, Mochizou will get that honor. Midori having to come to grips with her feelings should make for a good plotline. I hope she does confess.
    True, though I can't recall a series that was this blatant. The most I've seen is some hinting but here it looks like her love towards Tama will play a big role throughout the story. Surprised me in a positive way, just what I would expect from KyoAni.

The similarities to K-On are obvious so I appreciate developments which will distinguish the series from each other. Not that K-On was bad (probably should rewatch it sometime, has been years since my last watch and I never finished the second season) but this series deserves better than being called K-On ripoff and the likes.

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [Featured] Tamako Market

I also agree that it is pretty much implied that Midori has feelings for her girl friends. That makes me curious as well to see how she'll come up with it. I've just seen a Japanese drama with a gay character and shown that he was so depressed despite being an adult. Midori is still young so we'll see what will happen.

Halfway through the first episode, I really love Mochizou!!! So cute, O-M-G.

But really, Tamako Market is a fun series. It doesn't really need a plot to be special, the way it pictures everyday life of a mochi maker's daughter who meets a bird which can talk is already fun enough. The characters are lovely and cute, despite quarreling throughout the episodes, lol. I saw that woman with so boyish voice, lol, such a troll. I wonder if the episode will one day cover stories about him/her? :P

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tamako Market

Shiori was awesome

The scene where she was practicing saying thank you in the mirror was my favorite in the show, so far. Very sweet, and heartfelt. I like that she is being portrayed as shy, rather than as an aloof, distant Nagato Yuki type girl.

I am really enjoying Tamako. Very funny, very well animated, great characters. It's been a good year for KyoAni fan, four straight season of great new shows, starting with Hyouka last April.

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

Like Tamako and Kanna, Shiori also had confectionery related hair accessories. Tama has mochi hair bands, Kanna a candy clip, Shiori's hair is held up with pocky.
    Last edited by Kaiten; January 26, 2013 at 12:33 AM.

4-Star Loli-Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Shiori looks a lot like Tamako with her hair down. I was confused.

I enjoyed watching the episode as it was very cute. *.*

I feel sorry for Midorin though. =/

MH's Funniest Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity digitaldude's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

There is too many shows like this now, I can't take this anymore! Just girls talking cute being cute doing cute things. The one thing I love is the bird, if he wasn't in there then I wouldn't even bother.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skyguardian View Post
    Shiori looks a lot like Tamako with her hair down. I was confused.

I enjoyed watching the episode as it was very cute. *.*

Tama-chan and Shiori both have straight, black hair. With their hair down, and glasses off, they are easy to confuse.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldude View Post
    There is too many shows like this now, I can't take this anymore! Just girls talking cute being cute doing cute things. The one thing I love is the bird, if he wasn't in there then I wouldn't even bother.
    True, but that's kind of like saying there are too many action manga, or too many big budget, Hollywood special effects movies. It's kind of a fact of anime life. I'd rather judge a show individually, rather than dismiss it based on genre.The jokes are funny, characters are likable, and the show well animated. That's enough for me.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Galactic Tomahawk's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Would this be worth checking out if I didn't like K-On at all? The OP looks interesting but I'm still kind of wary.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on what you didn't like about K-On. If you're otherwise a KyoAni fan you'll like it.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Episode 3 is sweet, haha~ Shiori is just too kind. Not that I have anything against Dera-chan but those encounters feel a bit annoying, LOLOL~ It's sweet of her to try her best to show her feelings. And good to see Tamako not giving up for Shiori!

Why? Because they are in separate class and Tamako found a new friend? XD

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Tomahawk View Post
    Would this be worth checking out if I didn't like K-On at all? The OP looks interesting but I'm still kind of wary.
    I think K-On is quite a slice-of-life anime as well, right? Like Kaiten said, it depends on what you didn't like about K-On. I personally like slice-of-life anime so I like Tamako Market (though I haven't tried K-On, lol)!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Get past the moe and K-On compares more to American animated comedy, like Family Guy or the Simpsons. If I had to compare it to other anime, Lucky Star would probably be the closest, though K-On is less absurdest. It's a gag/comedy show, with the plot serving mostly to set up jokes. For whatever reason it became something of a lightning rod for people tired of all things moe. A strange choice, as it is an incredibly high quality product. Well written, funny, great animation; putting aside personal taste it is an all around well made show. There are plenty of shows that are just as moe, but not nearly the quality. Because the Tamako is by the same creative team, there are some similarities in humor, pacing, direction, and character design. In terms of plot, setting, and execution they are quite different.
    Last edited by Kaiten; January 29, 2013 at 12:03 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Galactic Tomahawk's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had a lot of mixed feelings on KyoAni in general, Nichijou is probably my absolute favorite thing from them.

I'll give this a shot though.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Why? Because they are in separate class and Tamako found a new friend? XD
    Well yes!

I totally root for Midorin x Tamako, even if she won't be able to date Tamako!

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well yes!

I totally root for Midorin x Tamako, even if she won't be able to date Tamako!
    Haha~ We haven't seen lots of Midori but she looks lovely and cute with that feeling towards Tamako, lol. She seems friendly too. She goes well with the other girl too (I forget the name, is it Kana?), lol. I hope to see an episode exploring her character one day.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Yay an Anko episode. x3

They got me... I really thought it was the other boy.

Never thought Tamako was this much of an Air Head though.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I also thought it was the other boy... Because I like him. But that was unexpected. Even Midori can be wrong.

A lovely episode, laid-back as usual. Nice to see the story of Anko. I don't understand how An is better than Anko; I actually like Anko better, ahaha~ She turns out to be quite a shy girl, eh. She's quite upfront at the house. LOL at Mochizou, can't get enough of him! XD I wonder why he's blushing on the preview?

And is it only me or the voice of that woman-with-man's-voice is heavier in this episode?

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast