Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 756 by cnet128 , Bleach 592 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sasami-san@Ganbaranai

Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai

Title: Sasami-san@Ganbaranai
    Episodes: 12
    Aired: Jan 11, 2013 to ?
    Producers: SHAFT
    Genres: Comedy, Romance
    Based on a novel: Sasami-san@Ganbaranai

Summary:

The story follows a hikikomori named Sasami who is unmotivated about even changing clothes or eating. Her brother takes care of her, even though she despises his slave-like nature. Sasami spends her days viewing the outside world via a "Brother Surveillance Tool" on her computer. In the outside world, the three beautiful Yagami sisters and Sasami's brother are in the middle of relationships worthy of a romantic comedy.

Comedy:

Sounds like the perfect premise for another great adaption by SHAFT. I've heard that the novel is quite good too so I'm relatively sure that this will be one of my favourites of the season

2. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Kya~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sasami-san@Ganbaranai

I believe that the summary in the first post can be a little bit misleading. Sasami-san@Ganbaranai left me amused. The first episode already left me a strong impression that this is going to be really good, but I could not predict the direction of the series judging from the pilot episode alone. The dialogue is less crazy than Bakemonogatari, but the nuances given by this Anime is pretty much sums up the name "Akiyuki Shinbou".

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

By the way, Hare-Hare Yukai dance by Tsukuyomi... priceless

4-Star Loli-Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

This Anime was very... Haruhi-ish. Kinda exactly like it. The Hare-Hare-Yukai dance proves it. x'D
    What I dislike is the bag infront of the Siscons face.
    Last edited by Skyguardian; January 11, 2013 at 05:56 PM.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

After watching the first episodes I don't know if this one is going to be for me.

It's just so "weird" normally I would use that term as a compliment but this time it's not. It seems like it's somewhere in between Haruhi and Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei but I can't say I'm all that pleased with the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyguardian View Post
    This Anime was very... Haruhi-ish. Kinda exactly like it. The Hare-Hare-Yukai dance proves it. x'D
    What I dislike is the bag infront of the Siscons face.
    That bag got pretty annoying for me as well.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The Hare-Hare-Yukai dance proves it. x'D
    In what part of the episode was that? I can’t believe I missed that!

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    After watching the first episodes I don't know if this one is going to be for me.
    I totally agree with you, Jammin. I know many people from the anime fandom are going to love this series, but…I have a feeling I’m not going to be one of those people. During various moments in this episode I found myself asking “What am I watching? What is this?” and I found myself checking the little gray bar below the video a bit too much since I couldn’t wait for the episode to end (I know it is a bad sign since I don’t do that when I fully enjoy an episode).

Another thing I didn’t like was the siblings’ relationship. I’m fine with siblings caring for each other and loving each other, but …the love siscon/brocon in this series is too much and too weird for my taste.

I’ll give this anime one more episode; if by next episode my opinion of this series hasn’t change I’ll drop this series.

Quote Quote:
    That bag got pretty annoying for me as well.
    For me it was the opposite. That was the only thing that I liked in this episode since it made me so curious about the face behind that suitcase. ^^
    Last edited by destiny4ever; January 12, 2013 at 09:39 PM.
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

Kya~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually I found an interesting blog post about the first episode explanation of Sasami-San@Ganbaranai here. I partially agree that most people were completely baffled when they watched the first episode, but I think that's because the symbolism trying to be conveyed in this Anime is still unclear. I'm still going to watch this until its ended though, it's weirdness attract me more than anything, to be honest.

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by destiny4ever View Post
    I totally agree with you, Jammin. I know many people from the anime fandom are going to love this series, but…I have a feeling I’m not going to be one of those people. During various moments in this episode I found myself asking “What am I watching? What is this?” and I found myself checking the little gray bar below the video a bit too much since I couldn’t wait for the episode to end (I know it is a bad sign since I don’t do that when I fully enjoy an episode).

Another thing I didn’t like was the siblings’ relationship. I’m fine with siblings caring for each other and loving each other, but …the love siscon/brocon in this series is too much and too weird for my taste.

I’ll give this anime one more episode; if by next episode my opinion of this series hasn’t change I’ll drop this series.
    The siscon/brocon stuff was impressively creepy.

I'll be giving it one more episode as well but I think the odds are very low that I'll be sticking around for more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by destiny4ever View Post
    For me it was the opposite. That was the only thing that I liked in this episode since it made me so curious about the face behind that suitcase. ^^
    I just assumed it was some kind of symbolism and that it would never get shown. I don't like it when things draw my attention and annoy me at the same time. Not a combo I'm fond of.

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    Actually I found an interesting blog post about the first episode explanation of Sasami-San@Ganbaranai here. I partially agree that most people were completely baffled when they watched the first episode, but I think that's because the symbolism trying to be conveyed in this Anime is still unclear. I'm still going to watch this until its ended though, it's weirdness attract me more than anything, to be honest.
    I think all of that about the symbolism is probably true but I'm of the school of thought that...

"A joke's not funny if you have to explain it."

That's why, so far, I don't think Sasami-san@Ganbaranai is going to be for me. I don't have anything against "weird". Fooly Cooly, Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei, Bakamonogatari, and Arakawa Under the Bridge were all series I loved that were weird to some degree. But I was always taught that art is about relaying intent and the fact that so few had any idea what Sasami-san@Ganbaranai was trying to do is very telling, I think.
    Last edited by Jammin; January 14, 2013 at 09:21 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Galactic Tomahawk's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I have absolutely no idea what to make of it so far but I'll probably keep watching if there's more stuff as cool as the chocolate apocalypse sequence.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

In the end I did not understand who had a bigger complex, Sasami with her brother complex or her brother after seeing her in chocolate form had a bigger sister complex. Damn that was a refreshing anime.

And to the page and the whole explanation that Doraku linked to, I kind of was going along with Sasami being a spoiled rich brat, that was kind of the way it started, then with her brother complex it got even worst, I do imagine her as an antihero of some sorts, that is more direct than that explanation, but I guess I agree with the Valentines Day metaphor to say the least because it leads into my theory of the "spoiled contemporary teenage girl". But got to admit she is pretty good looking, for an anime character to be kind realistically close is rare.

Btw epicness:

---------- Post added January 18, 2013 at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was January 16, 2013 at 06:17 PM ----------

Episode 2 is out!

So yeah, I have read up on what the light novel is and this episode confirmed that her brother is the "God" figure in the whole thing, he seems rather clueless though about that very thing? Pretty much revolved around that notion, and Sasami even created her own "world/monster" when she did have that power, I sure liked that the video game thing resolved quickly and the slice of life moments in her house were priceless.

We actually did learn that Sasami is a perfectionist and a germ freak, and insecure and anti-social, but what a twist that all of that sort of changed in one episode! This episode was not as good as the first, but at least the plot progressed smoothly.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems as if the god power used to reside in Sasami, and moved to her brother. I wonder if it will reside in someone else next week. I also would like to know why the grade schooler is tall and big boobed, while the adult is so tiny.

The Yagami sisters demolishing Sasami's room was priceless! Her reactions were Monogatari worthy.

The look of pure glee on Tsurugi's face when she was attempting to rape Kamiomi's game character was so amazing I made it into my sig.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I do see that maybe she actually likes Sasami's brother. XD Of course she is displaying it in a weird fashion, through the game she wants to convey those feelings in a strange way, in a more direct way. Or she is just crazy like that. That's the beauty about these characters, you never know what to expect.

Btw, Sasami-san looks like some western character with those facial expressions.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

The slice of life moments were incredibly awesome x'D
    I laughed really hard at the ingame rape... Haven't seen that one coming. The siscon really is... weird... He is oblivious to anything... xD But how he died with a piece of chalk... Awesome...

Although I wasn't a fan of the online-fame story and Sasamis power... Felt rushed.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    Well, I do see that maybe she actually likes Sasami's brother. XD Of course she is displaying it in a weird fashion, through the game she wants to convey those feelings in a strange way, in a more direct way. Or she is just crazy like that. That's the beauty about these characters, you never know what to expect.

Btw, Sasami-san looks like some western character with those facial expressions.
    Tsurugi definitely has feelings for Kamiomi, no doubt. She just happens to have a very tsundere way of showing her affection

Her reaction reminded me of old MGM Cartoons:

The slice of life moments were incredibly awesome x'D
    I laughed really hard at the ingame rape... Haven't seen that one coming. The siscon really is... weird... He is oblivious to anything... xD But how he died with a piece of chalk... Awesome...

Although I wasn't a fan of the online-fame story and Sasamis power... Felt rushed.
    The ingame rape was hilarious, highlight of the episode.
    Last edited by Kaiten; January 18, 2013 at 10:25 PM.

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a serious question. Why does the brother cover his face with his bag all the time?

I love the title, honestly. It makes you curious to see how far someone can be so unmotivated in living but is still alive. First episode surprised me, as it did with everyone else. I didn't know what exactly the episode wanted to say as it was different from my expectation. It jumped around, funny in a way (the chocolate battle is just.. *at loss for words*), but also strange. The relationship of the characters are also weird. I'm still curious to see what will happen to Sasami (since I have the understanding that we'll see her trying to be motivated through the series) so maybe I'll check it out for some more.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like
    So basically this is a show about 4 people harassing a high school girl in a sexual way, while one of them is her brother, mixed with some japanese myths?
    ... ... ...

What the hell was this armor doing in the background...? I couldn't stop laughing... XD
    Last edited by Skyguardian; March 05, 2013 at 06:36 PM.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast