Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 by BadKarma

View Poll Results: Who's More Powerful

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • The 5th Elder (Lady Werewolf)

10 76.92%
  • The 7th Elder (ex-Clan Leader Zarga Siraina)

3 23.08%
New Reply

Thread: Noblesse Chapter 266 Review

MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Noblesse Chapter 266 Review

Last week's poll was on what the female elder was. The majority said werewolf and the majority was correct. Though I still think werekoala would have been adorably terrifying.

Now onto the review!

Chapter Summary

Flying toward something randomly shooting beams of energy is deserving of a Darwin Award.

This week begins with Frankenstein, Regis, M-21, Tao, and Takeo in a helicopter flying toward the ruckus that the Elders are creating. Franky correctly guesses that they are using mayhem in the city as bait to lure them out.

In mid-flight they receive a call from Seira informing them that she will go on ahead. They try talk her out of it but she refuses to change her mind. She also tells Franky that she has taken the measures he suggested regarding where "he", presumably Raizel, sleeps. It's unclear if what this means but with Yuri certain to break into the lab we'll probably find out.

Meanwhile, at the center of the destruction, the Elders continue to wait for their prey. The 8th Elder gets impatient and decides to entertain himself by using his powers to cause more destruction, and seems to enjoy himself quite a bit doing so.

Elsewhere the 9th and Roctis speak of the fullscale war with Lukedonia about to begin and that the Unions full domination of mankind can start in earnest. Stating that at the end of "this battle" Lukedonia will understand their own foolishness because they will be fighting the a former Lukedonia Clan Leader in the 7th Elder and a Werewolf in 5th; people who the current clan leaders supposedly have no chance against.

Back in Korea the Elders begin to get bored again but any more "fun" is interrupted by Seira appearing before them. Upon seeing her sliver hair the 7th Elder guesses she's the Loyard Clan Leader and introduces himself as Zarga Siraina former Lukedonia Clan Leader and the man who killed Seira's father. He further taunts her by saying that he remembers her father's final moments begging for him to spare human lives and how pathetic he thought it was. The normally calm composed Seira replies to his words by blowing the top of the building off. Let the battle begin!

Chapter Review

"Who's brilliant idea was it to train so far away from the city about to come under attack anyway?"

Substance

Seira was the star of the show this week, and that always make me happy. It's easy to see similarity between her actions and Raizel's, especially when she said "The threat to my well being is irrelevant.". Along with this we got to see something we've never had the chance to before, something shatter her serene attitude. Zarga Siraina, traitorous clan leader and killer of her father, is going to showing us a whole new side of Seira in the coming chapters; and I can't wait.

Speaking of Zarga Siraina, what a great twist he's turning out to be. Former Clan Leader, mortal enemy for Seira, and he's only the 7th Elder! I guess we don't really know for certain if the number of those seats is a rank based on power but the possibilities there are alarming. To be honest, I don't give Seira much of a chance at beating him.

Next on the list of interesting Elders is the thing many have been waiting for. It's confirmed that the 5th Elder is indeed a full-blooded werewolf. Is it possible her numbering 5th among the elders means she's even stronger than Zarga? I think it might be. One thing is for sure though, she's no joke. I'm not sure I like Seira's odds against her either.

The 8th is clearly the least of the three, which shouldn't surprise anybody. He acts as if he is the "thug" of the group. Combine that with his beam cannon type attacks and general mecha appearance makes it seem highly likely that he's on of the 9th Elder's projects. I have yet to see him do anything that would make me think that he's anywhere near the kind of threat the other two are.

In terms of the overall combat situation and how Seira's decision to "go on ahead" effects it, it's not good. Seira made the right call in terms of prevented further harm to the city and it's people morally but in terms of defeating the Elders it's a bad call. Which is something I'm happy to see. Battles in Noblesse have a habit of going entirely too well for the strong good guys, I'm eager to see what Seira will do as she fights opponents that are too much for her.

Presentation

I would call the artwork below average. It noticeably lacked detail at times and a few of the big facial expression moments were boiled down to a single close up panel of a characters eye. I thought the chapter started to look better toward the end, with Seira's reactions, and since that was the most important part of this chapter I'm inclined not to let this effect my rating of the chapter to strongly.

It's hard to really even rate pacing on a chapter this short. So I don't really have much to say on that front. Seemed good enough, with none of the transitions coming across as particularly awkward.

Overall Rating

I love the direction this chapter takes the story. With Seira taking center stage in all her glory and facing down a group of Elders that are vastly more powerful and interesting than any that have appeared before them (with the possible exception of Roctis). Sadly, this chapter was also quite short and far from gorgeous,

I give it a 3 out 5

Predictions Section

New Prediction
    • Rajak will beat Frankenstein to the scene of the battle.

Old Predictions: (21 Wins/ 26 Losses)

"The female elder is a Werewolf" ~ Win
    Indeed she was.

"The 5th Elder is a ex-Lukedonia Clan Leader" ~ Loss
    So close and yet so far. Still I'll happly lose a prediction if it means the introduction of an evil smokin' hot werewolf. (If she turns out to be he...I'm going to be upset. Very upset.)

Spoiler: Ongoing show
    Last edited by Jammin; January 08, 2013 at 09:59 AM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Noblesse Chapter 266 Review

A good review this week.

The 7th Elder should logically be stronger than the 5th Elder, but because it's the debut of a Werewolf, she'll (assuming the 5th Elder's female) top the 7th Elder's power display. Plus, as Elders always die in descending numerical order, she'll be stronger than the other two and die last. I actually think that there's a good chance that she could survive the upcoming fight because she is a werewolf and killing off the first one that we've met would be a bit disappointing.

I wonder if Franky will have met her in the past.

---------- Post added at 02:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 AM ----------

The art has been noticeably disappointing for the last while. You are correct that not much happened in the chapter. Basically, Franky and RK-4 started coming back to the city and Seira confronted the three Elders, with two reveals coming, and then it ending.
    Last edited by FrostyMouse; January 08, 2013 at 10:20 AM.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member strixflash's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Jammin, thanks for the review ^_^
    I believe the number represents the order in which they joined. I think 4th,5th,6th and 7th joined at the same.
    Seeing Roctis(4th) and Zirga(7th) are both traitors, and should have joined together, I believe they were accompanied by 5th and 6th and hence their number is far away.

Maybe all of them joined together after betrayal? Maybe in the "incident" 820 years ago traitors were accomoanied by this WW elder, and after that they joined/founded union.

It's surprising to note that the first "modified" human(M-21) introduced in the series remains alive till now, the first elder (Crombell) who was first shown remains alive, and the same applies to the first traitor (Roctis). Looks like author have a thing for the first...

Judging from Roctis and 9th conversation, the cyborg one hardly seems as a threat. Well, this is a relief point for good guys.

I wonder how will RK and Yuri meet each other? Judging from the present situation, they're heading towards elders and hence the lab remains unguarded. It will also be interesting to see what precaution Seira/Frankenstein have taken for Rai. (Please don't let the data) be stolen again).

PS: I was expecting you to show the similarity between the helicopter scene from Dragon Ball (anime) where Nappa destroys a news helicopter in somewhat similar fashion.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd say the numbering of elders is solely by the order of admission. It'd be stupid to have, like, 1-5, then 7 and 9 for example. 7th could've just been invited by 4th like "hey dude, so I'm an elder at this organization where we control humans, and there's still some free seats, wanna join?"
    Erfworld

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member strixflash's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Frankenstein will arrive first than Rajak.... Good guys and backup always arrives at the last moment.....

About Art:
    Not surprising of it's somewhat low quality. Artist is doing two weekly series, and even with two assistants help, I hardly think he get a moment to breath for himself.
    Webcomic artist's pay is already low, and Noblesse authors have to divide that small pay into two! (OK. I am not trying to say that it's a good reason for the low quality, but...)

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

we cant 100% say that 7th is more powerful then 5th because we didnt know there power level . also when 4th and 9th talk they say there is no chance 5th and 7th would loss that means they r really really powerful and give chance that 5th can be more powerful then 7th . we know 7th is old clanleader's but we dont know anything about 5th she can be lord of werewolf

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Blackdynamite410's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the 5th is stronger. Theres no point in hyping the werewolves only to have the first one shown being weaker than the traitors. Having her be ranked above an elder who was capable of killing a clan leader shows us how powerful she is.

If the ranks sre determined by strength and I think they are, this means that #7 is the weakest if the traitors.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    A good review this week.

The 7th Elder should logically be stronger than the 5th Elder, but because it's the debut of a Werewolf, she'll (assuming the 5th Elder's female) top the 5th Elder's power display. Plus, as Elders always die in descending numerical order, she'll be stronger than the other two and die last. I actually think that there's a good chance that she could survive the upcoming fight because she is a werewolf and killing off the first one that we've met would be a bit disappointing.

I wonder if Franky will have met her in the past.
    Good point about the numerical order of deaths. I had never noticed that but your right.

Quote Originally Posted by strixflash View Post
    Jammin, thanks for the review ^_^
    I believe the number represents the order in which they joined. I think 4th,5th,6th and 7th joined at the same.
    Seeing Roctis(4th) and Zirga(7th) are both traitors, and should have joined together, I believe they were accompanied by 5th and 6th and hence their number is far away.

Maybe all of them joined together after betrayal? Maybe in the "incident" 820 years ago traitors were accomoanied by this WW elder, and after that they joined/founded union.

It's surprising to note that the first "modified" human(M-21) introduced in the series remains alive till now, the first elder (Crombell) who was first shown remains alive, and the same applies to the first traitor (Roctis). Looks like author have a thing for the first...

Judging from Roctis and 9th conversation, the cyborg one hardly seems as a threat. Well, this is a relief point for good guys.

I wonder how will RK and Yuri meet each other? Judging from the present situation, they're heading towards elders and hence the lab remains unguarded. It will also be interesting to see what precaution Seira/Frankenstein have taken for Rai. (Please don't let the data) be stolen again).
    Order of joining would be interesting but I'm a little skeptical because of the Cyborg 8th Elder, who is higher ranked than the 9th who is the super old scientist guy always talking to Roctis

PS: I was expecting you to show the similarity between the helicopter scene from Dragon Ball (anime) where Nappa destroys a news helicopter in somewhat similar fashion.
    That would have been good. Unfortunately, I never watched too much of Dragon Ball. Just enough to know that Master Roshi is the star of that show.

Quote Originally Posted by 0Xellos View Post
    I'd say the numbering of elders is solely by the order of admission. It'd be stupid to have, like, 1-5, then 7 and 9 for example. 7th could've just been invited by 4th like "hey dude, so I'm an elder at this organization where we control humans, and there's still some free seats, wanna join?"
    It is possible but the as I said the ordering of the 8th and the 9th seems like a fly in that particular ointment.

I think Frankenstein will arrive first than Rajak.... Good guys and backup always arrives at the last moment.....

About Art:
    Not surprising of it's somewhat low quality. Artist is doing two weekly series, and even with two assistants help, I hardly think he get a moment to breath for himself.
    Webcomic artist's pay is already low, and Noblesse authors have to divide that small pay into two! (OK. I am not trying to say that it's a good reason for the low quality, but...)
    I don't know. I've never really understood why they decided to make Ability, I could understand it if it was a short run series. Like say a set story that unfolds in 20 chapters as a way to boost their income for a bit. But Ability seems to be a slow paced long run series (and, honestly, so far it's not very good).

Quote Originally Posted by suraj5898 View Post
    we cant 100% say that 7th is more powerful then 5th because we didnt know there power level . also when 4th and 9th talk they say there is no chance 5th and 7th would loss that means they r really really powerful and give chance that 5th can be more powerful then 7th . we know 7th is old clanleader's but we dont know anything about 5th she can be lord of werewolf
    That's what I'm thinking too. I suspect the Lady Werewolf is something special even among Werewolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdynamite410 View Post
    I think the 5th is stronger. Theres no point in hyping the werewolves only to have the first one shown being weaker than the traitors. Having her be ranked above an elder who was capable of killing a clan leader shows us how powerful she is.

If the ranks sre determined by strength and I think they are, this means that #7 is the weakest if the traitors.
    If this is correct it also means that there is another being among the union elders who is not an ex-Clan Leader, (of whom there are 5) but also stronger than one. Could it be another Werewolf or something even more impressive.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Blackdynamite410's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Are there 5 traitors or 6? I always thought it was 6. So far the elders have increased in strength as the ranks have gotten higher so I think the difference between 5 and 7 is no different. It seems that #8 has been upgraded recently. Could he have been contracted or did the 9th elder create a modified human stronger than himself?

Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    assuming the 5th Elder's female
    Come on, this isn't SIU, miuch less gender trolls here
    Erfworld

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 0Xellos View Post
    Come on, this isn't SIU, miuch less gender trolls here
    They're both pretty bad but in the other series, Ability, the artist of Noblesse showed he can play that game too.

Apparently this is supposed to be a man.

Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    They're both pretty bad but in the other series, Ability, the artist of Noblesse showed he can play that game too.

Spoiler show
    Oh. Mental note to read it - school started, so I have a lot of free time in the morning (well, I do annoy the hell out of teachers with being constantly glued to something reading manga/manhwa ).
    Erfworld

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Mister K's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

About Art:
    This is the reason I wonder if there is some easy way to donate and support the author in continuing Noblesse, I'd do very pleased (as well as other fans I know). I don't know how well they are paid, but this has to be one of the most successful series in Korea, this should be a good point...
    Last edited by Mister K; January 08, 2013 at 05:04 PM.

New Reply