Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 761 by cnet128 , Bleach 597 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Character's Height

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Shenduk's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Character's Height

Why are some One Piece non-giant characters so freaking big? It's interesting that only strong people got the bizarre heights. I'll discard giant genes as race mixing between humans and giants is very unlikely for obvious reasons, even if we discover it's possible.

My theory is that some guys in their world have genes to grow more, even to uncommon sizes, but they only grow if their bodies can support it by being strong, unlike guys irl who end up having to use walking sticks if they have gigantism. Their genes are "smarter" in that aspect.

Has Oda ever addressed this issue in a SBS or something? Even the 11 Supernovas are huge, it's hard to find a character in this manga who's between 180cm and 190cm.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GomuGomu_Getsuga's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Character's Height

How tall are the Strawhats? I figure Luffy to be around 5'5/5'6.

Blackbeard is probably like 6'11.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eefrit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post

Blackbeard is probably like 6'11.
    Nope, he's 11'2.

OT: It's just their world. I'd say their environment probably allows for a more diverse range in physique.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Ankit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The heights look even more exaggerated just due to the drawing style of Oda. But obviously, many of the characters are way taller than should be humanly possible.

6. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zasz's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ankit View Post
    The heights look even more exaggerated just due to the drawing style of Oda. But obviously, many of the characters are way taller than should be humanly possible.
    Exactly my thoughts dude.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Odacchi just likes to draw chars tall (at least the strong and experienced ones). They're like fish, growing all their life
    Erfworld

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Character's Height

@GomuGomu_Getsuga
    Luffy is 172cm right now so actually Luffy is just over the 5'7 mark.

@OT
    there have been unimportant characters probably above the 190 mark which is considerably tall-ish.

I think in the One Piece World, just the fact that DF's are legit items, I think that being between the 160cm-220cm mark is normal for people in this series.
    I mean, there is much crazier shit in one piece, like the Hiking Bears in the Drum Kingdom, Alabasta that nod their heads at people passing by for respect.
    Last edited by Airgrimes; January 09, 2013 at 06:04 PM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Shenduk's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eefrit View Post
    It's just their world. I'd say their environment probably allows for a more diverse range in physique.
    There is a phenomenon in which, if you isolate members of some species, they tend to either evolue to be bigger or smaller. That's what happened to the Komodo dragon.
    But, in One Piece, only the strong guys get real big. You don't see normal citizens getting enormous. Just like irl, you rarely will see someone taller than 200 cm.

I believe that, in One Piece, everyone grows just like in our world, but there are more centimeters that can be grown if you're strong enough and your genes allow it. That's why many tough guys appear in big sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ankit View Post
    The heights look even more exaggerated just due to the drawing style of Oda.
    Sure! Look at this page: http://www.mangareader.net/103-17408...apter-550.html
    The guy is like half of Mihawk! Mihawk is 198 cm tall, which would demand the marine to be like 100 cm tall. Ridiculous, I doubt that was intended of Oda.

Quote Originally Posted by 0Xellos View Post
    They're like fish, growing all their life
    Maybe each one has a set age to stop growing, but only continue to grow if the body's strenght allows it. I don't imagine Blackbeard to be 344 cm tall at age of 21.

Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    I wonder how much Luffy will grow. Garp looks tall, we have yet to get a better view of Dragon to have an idea.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

IIRC Oda said somewhere that humans in the ONE PIECE have varying heights much like how people in our world vary from person to person. That's not really a helpful explanation as to why some characters are super tall in stature, but it's something to keep in mind. Remember that characters have natural hair colour that can be green, pink or blue so my two cents then is that OP humans are simply anatomically different from us.

Another thing: the teenage Strawhats (save for Chopper) are average in height ranging from 5'6" (Nami) to 5'11" (Sanji and Zoro); perhaps it brings more of a "wow!" factor when these average-sized people manage to take out a gigantic one.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Oda made his world and he can do whatever he wants. His world has people with a big difference in size, giants, longarmed people, minkmen, fishmen and so on. No need to number all the crazy stuff. I don't think Whitebeard's size, for example is something strange when you take everything else in to account.

Of course, maybe the plot and more knowledge about void century and what happened before that will uncover that it is all result of genetic manipulation in the old civilization. Big people, different races, fruits, everything...

Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!

(thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner BlackLeggedDragon's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Who wants to see midgets fighting? Big guys are fun and make their character designs so much better.

New Reply