Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi

View Poll Results: Who Will Get the Mera Mera no Mi

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sabo

37 68.52%
  • Rebecca

10 18.52%
  • Burgess

4 7.41%
  • Zoro

0 0%
  • Sanji

1 1.85%
  • Nami

0 0%
  • Usopp

1 1.85%
  • Franky

0 0%
  • Koala

1 1.85%
Thread Closed
Page 40 of 47 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will get Ace's Mera Mera no Mi (Fire) Devil Fruit?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Spam286's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who will get Ace's Mera Mera no Mi (Fire) Devil Fruit?

My initial response to Sabo getting the mera mera no mi is that I don't want it to happen. I'm having trouble figuring out why I feel that way though. I think it comes down to the fact that it's too straightforward. Too neat. He's turned up just in time to get it, having been thought dead for years. Him getting it would be a far bigger cliché than him not at this point, I think.

Of course he's only just come back, so my opinion about that might change over the rest of the arc. (I think I also have a problem with the word 'we' when he's talking about inheriting Ace's will. I don't think Ace's will necessarily meshes with the RA's. That might just be a translation thing though.)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spam286 View Post
    My initial response to Sabo getting the mera mera no mi is that I don't want it to happen. I'm having trouble figuring out why I feel that way though. I think it comes down to the fact that it's too straightforward. Too neat. He's turned up just in time to get it, having been thought dead for years. Him getting it would be a far bigger cliché than him not at this point, I think.
    Rather than cliche, I would say too convenient. I see where you're coming from, but he's the best option right now(imo).

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    Again, why does him eating the fruit mean he will carry on Ace's will? He can do that without eating the fruit, or he could even pass it down to someone who will carry on Ace's will perfectly, just as how Shank gave Luffy the straw hat because he was so similar to Roger. Luffy and Sabo also have the right to decide who inherits Ace's will.
    The author has already established that the mera mera no mi is emblematic of "Fire Fist" Ace. Recovering his fruit, and gaining Ace's ability, would be symbolic of carrying on Ace's legacy. Sabo fighting for the mera mera no mi, recovering Ace's fruit, only to pass it on to some random character he (Sabo) has never met would be derped beyond all recognition. Sabo asking Luffy to back down, and Luffy agreeing, would be pointless if Sabo simply gave the fruit to one of the Strawhats anyway. Giving it to someone like Rebecca would be even more ridiculous.

By passing on the strawhat, Shanks was saying that Luffy would be the one to carry on Roger's legacy. Shanks essentially forsook any claim to Roger's legacy at that moment. He was, as he would say later, "betting on the next generation". If Sabo did the same, passing on the mera mera no mi, Sabo would be declaring the same, that he would not be the one to carry on Ace's legacy, but that whomever he gave the fruit would be custodian of that legacy.

Quote Quote:
    Not really, it wouldn't be a cliche shounen power up. Maybe for the Straw Hats and Rebecca, it would be.
    Yes, it would. It would be a cliche in the truest sense of the word. If anyone other than Sabo ate the mera mera no mi it would just be a power up, devoid of any meaning other than making a character stronger. Things like that are cliche. Sabo eating the mera mera no mi would be more than a simple power up. It would be a symbolic gesture, Sabo carrying on the will of his dead friend. Simply saying "I am going to carry on Ace's will" is empty words. Devil fruit become a part of the user, altering them genetically. Sharing abilities with Ace has deep meaning, within the context of the story. But only if it is Luffy or Sabo that shares that ability.

Quote Quote:
    Not sure if that's the only way to inherit Ace's will.
    It is. It allows an additional layer of symbolism to be added to the story. It becomes a matter of show vs. tell. Words can be empty. Declaring "I will carry on Ace's legacy" is just words. Acquiring his ability is a symbolic gesture, investing an additional layer of meaning to those words.
    Last edited by Kaiten; December 13, 2013 at 12:53 PM.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    The author has already established that the mera mera no mi is emblematic of "Fire Fist" Ace. Recovering his fruit, and gaining Ace's ability, would be symbolic of carrying on Ace's legacy. Sabo fighting for the mera mera no mi, recovering Ace's fruit, only to pass it on to some random character he (Sabo) has never met would be derped beyond all recognition. Sabo asking Luffy to back down, and Luffy agreeing, would be pointless if Sabo simply gave the fruit to one of the Strawhats anyway. Giving it to someone like Rebecca would be even more ridiculous.
    However, the author has not established that eating the devil fruit was the ONLY way to carry on a legacy. The devil fruit is Ace's legacy, yes, but there are other ways to realize his legacy as well. Luffy is on the verge of realizing Roger's legacy by becoming a pirate king who will likely overhaul the world as we know it. Sabo wouldn't just be passing it on to a random person, he'd be passing it on to a person who proves himself.

Last two sentences are redundant given that I don't want any of the Straw Hats or Rebecca to get it. Direct that to EddyBob, please.

Quote Quote:
    By passing on the strawhat, Shanks was saying that Luffy would be the one to carry on Roger's legacy. Shanks essentially forsook any claim to Roger's legacy at that moment. He was, as he would say later, "betting on the next generation". If Sabo did the same, passing on the mera mera no mi, Sabo would be declaring the same, that he would not be the one to carry on Ace's legacy, but that whomever he gave the fruit would be custodian of that legacy.
    Which is essentially what I'm saying Sabo and/or Luffy would do by giving someone Ace's fruit. Could be after this arc, could be five arcs later, could be in the last arc, in the last chapter ever. It's a possibility, just as Sabo eating it is a possibility. We're going on the assumption that he isn't already a user, and I don't think Sabo mentioned eating the fruit, just carrying on Ace's legacy.

He can carry on Ace's legacy without consuming the fruit, and pass on Ace's legacy to someone else.

Quote Quote:
    Yes, it would. It would be a cliche in the truest sense of the word. If anyone other than Sabo ate the mera mera no mi it would just be a power up, devoid of any meaning other than making a character stronger. Things like that are cliche. Sabo eating the mera mera no mi would be more than a simple power up. It would be a symbolic gesture, Sabo carrying on the will of his dead friend. Simply saying "I am going to carry on Ace's will" is empty words. Devil fruit become a part of the user, altering them genetically. Sharing abilities with Ace has deep meaning, within the context of the story. But only if it is Luffy or Sabo that shares that ability.
    There can be a meaning if Sabo gives it to someone else, or if Luffy gives it to someone else. It would be their way of passing on their will or legacy as well as Ace's. It'd be a symbolic gesture identical to when Shanks gave Luffy Roger's straw hat.

Which is why he WILL carry on Ace's will. Words mean nothing, actions do. What if he just eats the mera mera no mi and decides to live a quiet life instead? Is that carrying on Ace's will?

Quote Quote:
    It is. It allows an additional layer of symbolism to be added to the story. It becomes a matter of show vs. tell. Words can be empty. Declaring "I will carry on Ace's legacy" is just words. Acquiring his ability is a symbolic gesture, investing an additional layer of meaning to those words.
    Acquiring his ability is a symbolic gesture that can be ruined if Sabo decides to just quit. Basically the same as him not eating the fruit, but not carrying on Ace's legacy.

Want to make a wager? If I win, you ban hoeru and Schabrak. If you win, you ban Schabrak and hoeru. Deal?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

However, the author has not established that eating the devil fruit was the ONLY way to carry on a legacy. The devil fruit is Ace's legacy, yes, but there are other ways to realize his legacy as well. Luffy is on the verge of realizing Roger's legacy by becoming a pirate king who will likely overhaul the world as we know it. Sabo wouldn't just be passing it on to a random person, he'd be passing it on to a person who proves himself.
    Oda has established the mera mera no mi as the only tangible symbol of Ace's legacy. By recovering the mera mera no mi, Sabo will have symbolically recovered Ace's legacy. By eating it, Sabo will have symbolically become the heir to Ace's will. There is nothing else in the story with comparable symbolism.

Quote Quote:
    Which is essentially what I'm saying Sabo and/or Luffy would do by giving someone Ace's fruit. Could be after this arc, could be five arcs later, could be in the last arc, in the last chapter ever. It's a possibility, just as Sabo eating it is a possibility. We're going on the assumption that he isn't already a user, and I don't think Sabo mentioned eating the fruit, just carrying on Ace's legacy.
    By giving Roger's straw hat to Luffy, Shanks conceded that he would not be the one to carry on Roger's legacy, Luffy would. If Sabo were to recover the mera mera no mi, only to pass it on, he would symbolically admit that he will not be the one to carry on Ace's will. He would be acknowledging whomever he gives the fruit as heir to Ace's legacy.

Quote Quote:
    He can carry on Ace's legacy without consuming the fruit, and pass on Ace's legacy to someone else.
    He can't simultaneously carry on Ace's legacy while also passing on Ace's legacy to someone else.

Quote Quote:
    There can be a meaning if Sabo gives it to someone else, or if Luffy gives it to someone else. It would be their way of passing on their will or legacy as well as Ace's. It'd be a symbolic gesture identical to when Shanks gave Luffy Roger's straw hat.
    Luffy won't be giving the mera mera no mi to anyone. He has already called off the search, conceding Ace's legacy to Sabo.

Quote Quote:
    Which is why he WILL carry on Ace's will. Words mean nothing, actions do. What if he just eats the mera mera no mi and decides to live a quiet life instead? Is that carrying on Ace's will?
    Sabo won't eat the fruit and just live a quiet life. He's a member of the Revolutionary Army, dedicated since childhood to fighting for equality. Ace's legacy will be the fire of freedom, helping Sabo fight the world's oppressive social hierarchy.

Quote Quote:
    Acquiring his ability is a symbolic gesture that can be ruined if Sabo decides to just quit. Basically the same as him not eating the fruit, but not carrying on Ace's legacy.
    He won't just quit

Quote Quote:
    Want to make a wager? If I win, you ban hoeru and Schabrak. If you win, you ban Schabrak and hoeru. Deal?
    Deal! If I win they're doomed

What do you get if you win? You've only said what I get if I win?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont think aces legacy shit will be a factor in who gets the fruit. In cases like inheriting someones will through something permamnent(df) i think oda will give the fruit to someone oposite to ace in most areas but has the same intention at heart as that of ace. The said person will eventually turn out to be quiet alike ace when we get to know him/her more. I hope it isnt rebecca and it probably wont since sabo is here. It suits her being fruitless and weak in our standard.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

And if I win you ban the master troll and the biggest asshole besides me?

I'm open for other cantidates within the Revolutionaries, but damn, we would need to see some new faces and finally a real introduction into the to echelon of the RA. Sabo is the best candidate still so far.
    Last edited by Schabrak; December 13, 2013 at 04:42 PM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Oda has established the mera mera no mi as the only tangible symbol of Ace's legacy. By recovering the mera mera no mi, Sabo will have symbolically recovered Ace's legacy. By eating it, Sabo will have symbolically become the heir to Ace's will. There is nothing else in the story with comparable symbolism.
    There can also be intangible legacy. I'm confident we'll see Luffy and Ace's legacy be passed down from generation to generation, with or without devil fruit, just as Roger and the Will of D were passed down.

Quote Quote:
    By giving Roger's straw hat to Luffy, Shanks conceded that he would not be the one to carry on Roger's legacy, Luffy would. If Sabo were to recover the mera mera no mi, only to pass it on, he would symbolically admit that he will not be the one to carry on Ace's will. He would be acknowledging whomever he gives the fruit as heir to Ace's legacy.
    Or, he could admit he will not be the one to carry on Ace's will anymore. Shank did not concede he would not be the one to carry on Roger's legacy, but he accepted Luffy as the next generation who would carry on Roger's legacy.

Quote Quote:
    He can't simultaneously carry on Ace's legacy while also passing on Ace's legacy to someone else.
    And why not?

Quote Quote:
    Luffy won't be giving the mera mera no mi to anyone. He has already called off the search, conceding Ace's legacy to Sabo.
    Is it set in stone Sabo won't give Ace the mera mera no mi? Probably won't, but there's still a chance.

Quote Quote:
    Sabo won't eat the fruit and just live a quiet life. He's a member of the Revolutionary Army, dedicated since childhood to fighting for equality. Ace's legacy will be the fire of freedom, helping Sabo fight the world's oppressive social hierarchy.
    Not my point. I'm saying he could eat the mera mera no mi and just become reclusive, it doesn't guarantee he'll carry on Ace's will.

Quote Quote:
    Deal! If I win they're doomed

What do you get if you win? You've only said what I get if I win?
    Nope. If you read, we both get the same thing if we win. Though, I was half jokin about banning Schabrak. You don't need to ban him if you don't want to, he's not that bad.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

Again, why does him eating the fruit mean he will carry on Ace's will? He can do that without eating the fruit, or he could even pass it down to someone who will carry on Ace's will perfectly, just as how Shank gave Luffy the straw hat because he was so similar to Roger. Luffy and Sabo also have the right to decide who inherits Ace's will.

Not really, it wouldn't be a cliche shounen power up. Maybe for the Straw Hats and Rebecca, it would be.

Not sure if that's the only way to inherit Ace's will.

Don't need to. She's good, given, but not that good.

Stronger than she was, yes. Not strong enough to take on Doflamingo. Does she know the Color of Armament haki? If not, she's in trouble.
    From when rebecca is similar to ace because both of them hated from ppl for something they didnt do themselfs but someone else?
    Sry but this isnt a good reason Rebecca is a pacifist ace was a beast with good manners and are you blind and non thinker? what would be the whole point of sabo's reveal is he wont get the fruit for himself? There would be no reason for going himself in dressrosa he could very well send someone else in his place as strong as him end of story. You guys are chick-lovers to point of stupidity. You want so much for rebecca to take-eat the mera mera just to join the sh crew to point of becaming annoying to extreme lvl's and iam mentally tired of hearing this so ill put my rampage mode on the next one says something about rebecca getting the fruit after sabos reveal. Come on make my day!!!!
    Last edited by Don Chinjao; December 16, 2013 at 02:00 AM.

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems like most OP fans' ability to comprehend words is low. Where did I ever say I wanted Rebecca to get the fruit? If you actually did read the posts in this thread, you'd see me consistently and constantly saying that I don't want Rebecca to get the fruit or join the crew as she is boring. I'm actually tempted to link "consistently" and "constantly" to an online dictionary so I can't be misunderstood that way. Jesus.

If Rebecca was a pacifist though, she wouldn't be trying to kill Doflamingo.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

So...its prolly gonna go with sabo huh...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like it...

...Maybe Sabo gives it to Coby
    Last edited by Kaiten; January 08, 2014 at 06:41 PM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Depravity's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the camp of hoping Ace's fruit ends up retrieved by Burgess, or falls in the hands of an antagonist of some sort. Like a member before me mentioned, having the Mera Mera in the hands of Blackbeard would greatly increase tension between his crew and the Strawhats; add that along with him proving responsible for the ordeal at Marineford (and a foreshadowed showdown with Shanks, whom he should triumph over) and you've got an incredible set-up for a climatic bout between the two sometime down the road, near the end of the series. It creates intrigue (among other strong emotions), bumps the respective power of Blackbeard's crew, and gives fans of the series a more tangible goal to look forward to.

Should Blackbeard not get the fruit however, I'm sure the fight will still happen and be pretty epic, 'cause Blackbeard has never stopped scheming and drawing up machinations to conquer the seas (and eventually the world). If not Ace's fruit, he'll be sure to piss Luffy off in another way soon (I believe Dressrosa would prove an optimal place for Oda to start, though).

14. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Beatrice's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

At this point it's screaming Sabo, but I won't be surprised if some Chaotic Situation occurs and the Mera Mera lands in the hands of someone else.
    "Sleep peacefully, my most beloved witch, Beatrice."

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MBVC's Avatar
    Country
    Bouvet Island
    Post Thanks / Like

Well at least camp Luffy is written off at this moment, I'm waiting the same result for camp Rebecca in near future.

I realized that I am merely a conscience programmed into a game.

Thread Closed
Page 40 of 47 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast