Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 754 by cnet128 , Bleach 590 by cnet128 , Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi

View Poll Results: Will Ryner and Bertholdt succeed?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah, they'll be kidnapped.

3 33.33%
  • Nope, they'll somehow be captured instead. Ironic.

1 11.11%
  • Maybe they'll only succeed in capturing Ymir.

4 44.44%
  • No, they'll be converted to aid the humans with talk-no-jutsu.

1 11.11%
New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Shingeki no Kyojin 42 Discussion / 43 Predictions

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member lolnameless's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shingeki no Kyojin 42 Spoilers Thread

OMG this is crazy.
    The page on Misaka killing her peers w/o hesitation is a bit shocking, even though she doesn't seem to care anyone but Eren anyway.
    Reiner on Chapter 39 isn't an inconsistency imo, it can be argued,challenged by the fact that if he turns titan inside tower it kills everyone and obviously, he really treasures his friends, such that he didn't want to reveal his identity unless absolute necessity.
    More precisely, If he turned into titan on chapter 39, he would have to decide whether he should kill everyone to hide his identity or reveal his identity, losing the chance to kidnap Eren to save his friend.(since his titan form is a well-known enemy to them, unlike Ymir and Annie)

Add up the flashback of Ymir devouring their friends, I suspect that these two probably escaped death from Ymir and for some reason has hometown transformed into titans, and they have appointed for mission to erase humanity.
    Something doesn't add up here is that these two was once regular human, i don't know what the hell happened to them, but isn't it crazy for one to repeat the crime while he/she was once the victim of that crime? How would they even dare to become allies of titan instead of f**k them all up using the given power, like Eren did?
    Last edited by lolnameless; February 13, 2013 at 12:21 PM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show
    Last edited by White Guard; February 13, 2013 at 12:57 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Bad bad bad writing. Shame on you Isayama. Shame.

Its not that this development wasn't hinted at, it was. Extensively.

The problem is Ryner's thoughts on 39 (I can understand the flashback somewhat) and just how they walked up to Eren and made a huge reveal while in earshot of pretty much everyone. Yeah, there is possibly some necessity with Ymir being injured and transferred and what she might possibly reveal, but this was just bad.

Quote Originally Posted by lolnameless View Post
    OMG this is crazy.
    Reiner on Chapter 39 isn't an inconsistency imo, it can be argued,challenged by the fact that if he turns titan inside tower it kills everyone and obviously, he really treasures his friends, such that he didn't want to reveal his identity unless absolute necessity.
    More precisely, If he turned into titan on chapter 39, he would have to decide whether he should kill everyone to hide his identity or reveal his identity, losing the chance to kidnap Eren to save his friend.(since his titan form is a well-known enemy to them, unlike Ymir and Annie)
    Him not transforming is not an inconsistency. Him literally not having a single thought about doing it when facing his impending death is just absurd.

Rewriter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

5. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shingeki no Kyojin 42 Discussion / 43 Predictions

Well, I had my suspicions about Ryner, I didn't expect to find out this soon though lol! They said it to Eren so normally. :-o twas a shock. Wow, Eren against the armoured & collosal titan, that... is not gonna be easy.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member AandWguy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wait wait wait, that guy is that colossal titan? Where did this come from? is the series ending?
    Suprise!!! Gotta love those faces!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AandWguy View Post
    Where did this come from?
    It came from the dozens of hints that the series dropped (thread on the subject) before shitting upon them in chapter 39.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Something i can't make sense of is, if Ryner were actually the armored titan (which he is), why would be he having thought of death when they were trying to blockade the stairway?

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fififi View Post
    Something i can't make sense of is, if Ryner were actually the armored titan (which he is), why would be he having thought of death when they were trying to blockade the stairway?
    Basically, what I've been raging about.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Hamy's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I the only one who thinks that this chapter and reveal was created for the sole purpose of dragging out answers at this point? I mean for all the spontaneity of Mikasa's actions in attacking the two I am surprised mid-transformation that Bert somehow regained his senses relatively quick from that shock and conveniently grabbed Ymir away - whom I'm guessing will now likely be killed or is dead considering that she was still in a sensitive state and regenerating I doubt being handled roughly is going to do her any favors.

Otherwise yeah I'm somewhat at odds with the rather straight forward attitude of Ryner, while his reveal is certainly somewhat characteristic of him, I think I would have preferred a bit more conflict on his side given that unlike Ymir or Annie he actually did grow close to his allies and was relied upon. I think this would have been easier to accept had the information been better deducted upon and gradually revealed than the so called hints that really at a time and context back then are really closer to grasping straws. I feel its the same with Annie since again her information and reveal was done very quickly in one chapter that cleanly ties up all speculation in one fell swoop that while I can understand the suspicion of others at that point a lot of things just seemed odd, like being such a veteran at her work despite her age, though to be fair I guess she did have "more" substantive hints than the duo at this point.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fififi View Post
    Why does Eren not constantly transform into his Titan form? Why did Ymir not do it before? Maybe they had orders not too destroy humanity anymore, and didn't want to blow their cover.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LordZet View Post
    Why does Eren not constantly transform into his Titan form? Why did Ymir not do it before? Maybe they had orders not too destroy humanity anymore, and didn't want to blow their cover.
    As a cool, armored badass titan, he shouldn't have even the slightest fear of death from a 4m class titan, no?

Edit: Or was it 3m class?
    Last edited by Fififi; February 13, 2013 at 09:30 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LordZet View Post
    If he was not ordered to transform, he'd be cursing his orders, not just thinking he is about to die.

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

I'm confused as to why all these human-titans want to take Eren alive. He clearly isn't a potential ally and he clearly doesn't know anything (or at least he doesn't know anything at the moment. His memories still might be clouded by his father's injection) It can't be something to do with his father as they could have acted a lot earlier had it been that. If they saw him as a threat, it would be a lot easier to just kill him and they had multiple opportunities to do just that.

I can only think of two possible explanations:
    1) He is special in some way. I don't have the slightest clue as to what way that is (besides the obvious, but that doesn't make him special to human-titans) or how they could possibly know that he is special.

2) He is the child of someone important in the titan community. While this seems to be the more likely of the two, it brings up questions of why they didn't act before he revealed himself to have titan powers. That would seem to imply that they didn't know it was him, but given that they didn't know Ymir was a titan, the idea to grab the boy of a certain age group that transforms into a titan seems sketchy at best. That kind of plan only works when you have complete knowledge of who every human-titan is. If there happens to be someone else who turns into a titan and you grab them, you scare the other person into hiding and you might never accomplish your objective.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there's still a pretty major part of the puzzle missing as they say. So i'll wait before questioning the plot too much. In saying that, one of the reasons Ryner might not have transformed is because how dedicated they seem to be to that mission they are talking about. Even going to the point of not transforming till it was necessary for their mission even if they do die before they can accomplish anything. That isn't to say they wouldn't fear the death they can end up having.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I registered because it greatly annoys me when people complain about "plot holes" or bad writing while ignoring obvious hints.
    In this case:
    Why was Reiner scared of dying?

Because he was underground for Pete's sake. How did all of you miss this apparently?

It hasn't been revealed how the Titans "work" exactly (solar powered like Superman?), but it's clear some of them (possibly the human transformers more so than the "always-on" Titans) are in deep trouble when they are underground or otherwise cut off from the sun. Eren can't transform there, Annie wouldn't go down the stairs to the sewer when she was found out.
    So the only complaint about writing Reiner's thoughts I would consider valid is that he might have rather thought something like "I have to get outside" or "if only I could transform". But the author choosing not to do it that way is neither sloppy nor incoherent in my opinion. I can completely understand it when someone's only thoughts in the face of impending death are "fuck, it's over".

18. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast