Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is this haki?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member winterwyrm's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this haki?

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/one_p...1/c195/16.html

Do you think this is haki or something else?

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is this haki?

Yes, in a future chapter will be called Sovereign Haki. And it will be related with the power to hear the Sea Kings. I can see it in my cristal ball...

4. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by winterwyrm View Post
    http://www.mangahere.com/manga/one_p...1/c195/16.html

Do you think this is haki or something else?
    Yes, in retrospect that could be considered an example of observation haki. Zoro was able to "hear" the rocks breathing, knew where they would land, and evade them beforehand. A textbook example of observation haki.
    Last edited by Kaiten; January 12, 2013 at 11:49 AM.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Yes, in retrospect that could be considered an example of observation haki. Zoro was able to "hear" the rocks breathing, knew where they would land, and evade them beforehand. A textbook example of observation haki.
    uhh... I wrote it wrong. So yes, the power to hear could be observation haki, even if it's applied to listening to the sea kings...

But it’s impossible that the power to cut through metal would be observation haki. That part could be a hypothetical form of another kind of power… my crystal ball says… Sovereign haki.

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

Edit: or armament haki??? damn..

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

Of course, enel's power called mantra was discovered later as a case of observation haki. In that really nice scene, Zoro feels it, he can hear the things as if they were talking to him. And he also can fell that he can cut through metal... in chapter 195 he feels what, later in chapter 597, Rayleigh will call it armament haki. It's just that Zoroi ignores the names, but he can feel the power. Really nice scene that what you brought.
    Last edited by ukimix; January 12, 2013 at 12:42 PM.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    uhh... I wrote it wrong. So yes, the power to hear could be observation haki, even if it's applied to listening to the sea kings...

But it’s impossible that the power to cut through metal would be observation haki. That part could be a hypothetical form of another kind of power… my crystal ball says… Sovereign haki.

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

Edit: or armament haki??? damn..

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

Of course, enel's power called mantra was discovered later as a case of observation haki. In that really nice scene, Zoro feels it, he can hear the things as if they were talking to him. And he also can fell that he can cut through metal... in chapter 195 he feels what, later in chapter 597, Rayleigh will call it armament haki. It's just that Zoroi ignores the names, but he can feel the power. Really nice scene that what you brought.
    You're forgetting that this discussion is a retcon. If this scene does not exactly match color of observation, that is because it took place so long before haki was even introduced. In retrospect it just seems a lot a like observation haki, just like Shanks scaring off the sea king seems like conqueror's haki, and Mihawk slicing the boat in half could have been armament haki.

The ability to cut through metal Zoro mentioned would be armament haki, though in that scene he does not demonstrate any ability to use it. He grasps the connection between "hearing" the rocks (and avoiding them before they fell), and the ability to cut through metal his master had mentioned. In retrospect, they are connected, two different colors of haki. Zoro actually used observation haki in the scene, to avoid the falling debris. What would become known as armament haki is merely mentioned. I see no connection in this chapter to conqueror's haki.

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

It's probably not a great idea to make predictions based on a scene from 2001, 500 chapters ago. Any predictions would be pretty off topic, irrelevant to the question asked in the OP, highly speculative (at best), and should be taken to another thread. Start a new one if desired.
    Last edited by Kaiten; January 12, 2013 at 03:05 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Mr. Arashi's Avatar
    Country
    Chile
    Post Thanks / Like

Indeed, and mostly the greatest demonstration of Kenbunshoku Haki seen in the series. Hearing things... only Gol D. Roger has this ability besides Zoro.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how precise Null's translation was for this chapter... They turned Daz' attack names into nonsense...

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    The ability to cut through metal Zoro mentioned would be armament haki, though in that scene he does not demonstrate any ability to use it. He grasps the connection between "hearing" the rocks (and avoiding them before they fell), and the ability to cut through metal his master had mentioned. In retrospect, they are connected, two different colors of haki. Zoro actually used observation haki in the scene, to avoid the falling debris. What would become known as armament haki is merely mentioned. I see no connection in this chapter to conqueror's haki.[/B]
    We coulod agree on what happened in that scene: Zoro used two types of haki.
    As a matter of fact, Zoro did cut thorugh Das Bones's steel. Only that the cut moment is tacit in that chapter. Then if the scene mention the ability to cut through steel and we acknowledge that that ability would be armament haki, and if he did cut through stell, then Zoro used it there, taht's all. So, no predictions neither new explanations by Oda would be necessary to understand what happened there. All would be explained in chapter 597, in 2010.

So, to me, please, it's pointless to keep talking about predictions... If you reread carefully my post you will see I changed my mind about sovereign haki.
    Last edited by ukimix; January 12, 2013 at 06:07 PM.

Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Shishi Sonson doesn't inflict Haki whatsoever, it's a cutting technique. Otherwise Kaku wouldn't have been able to block the attack in Enies Lobby with a Rankyaku Roudan in chapter 416.

Zoro introduces the attack with "Ittouryuu IAI" - the key is "IAI" which is the "art of drawing the katana".

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see any conflict between the one sworld style (Ittoryu) and armament haki. And since haki has levels there is no conflict between his use by Zoro in this scene and his fight against Kaku neither.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

I may repeat: The key is "Iai"... Zoro draws the katana a in very unique way. The word wasn't translated in the NULL scan. There's only Shishi Sonson and Shi Shishi Sonson baring that word in the introduction for the Ittouryuu, and Rashomon as "Nittouryuu Iai" technique, too.

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

I like so much when I learn japanese from this discussions... IAAIIIIII!!! But I may repeat: No matter how unique is the Ittoryu Iai, whit the katana making a beautiful drawing in the air.... still, it is completely possible for a skilled swordman to imbue armament haki to the katana used in that unique technique. IAI.

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

I think the key panel for the haki interpretation is that Zoro imbue some kind of power in his sword. But, here, again, we could have two different and viable interpretations of the same event, together with no way to decide between them.
    Last edited by ukimix; January 13, 2013 at 06:10 PM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner 31TeV's Avatar
    Country
    England
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think this is haki. CoO haki can't be used to dodge anything that is 'random' in nature, like in this example:
    http://www.mangahere.com/manga/one_p...0/c281/16.html

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    I think the key panel for the haki interpretation is that Zoro imbue some kind of power in his sword. But, here, again, we could have two different and viable interpretations of the same event, together with no way to decide between them.
    Well that would demean his accomplishment. If he used Haki with the slash it means that he just overrided devil fruit. That would mean that he didn't manage to cut steel.

Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!

(thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

21. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

that scene and the ability to hear the rocks breathing is some sort of sword technique. there are boat-loads of those in many mangas. in those chapters haki wasnt in the fore front (actually they werent even named). there is nothing to say oda wont combine them but for now we have to accept it as a sword technique as mihawk himself also incapacitated daz at the war thou there was no evidence he used haki. (he probably can but as he sees most every1 as insects he probably doesnt even bother)

as for the Iai discussion; it is just another sword-based martial arts(Iaidou) and i have to agree that it should not be a problem to imbue haki to your sword no matter what type of martial arts move you use. Shishi sonson probably based on nukitsuke; as it is a very quick draw of the sword, accomplished by simultaneously drawing the sword from the saya(scabbard) and also moving the saya back in saya-biki(the sheath or rope samurai's or Iaidoka use to hold their swords).

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast