Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Unpopular Opinions

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Unpopular Opinions

Frequent another forum, came across a thread where people could share their opinions that aren't popular. Thus, this thread is for sharing opinions that aren't popular.

Saying Fullmetal Alchemist is an awesome manga is incorrect here as I'm sure tons of people agree with you. However, saying FMA was bad is correct usage of this thread, as I'm sure it's an unpopular opinion. For the record, I think it's a great manga.

And remember to not get butthurt, it's all opinions after all. Let me start this off:

In terms of character, Sasuke is superior to Naruto as he's more complex now. Naruto was complex in Part I, but now he's about peace.

Dragon Ball Z is overrated. It started out decent but got worse, and I have no idea why people praise it. Dragon Ball was easily superior. I'm sure we'll see Naruto Part II be praised as being better, sadly.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Unpopular Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post

In terms of character, Sasuke is superior to Naruto as he's more complex now. Naruto was complex in Part I, but now he's about peace.

Dragon Ball Z is overrated. It started out decent but got worse, and I have no idea why people praise it. Dragon Ball was easily superior. I'm sure we'll see Naruto Part II be praised as being better, sadly.
    You are completely right with this one (though i think that this opinion is not that unpopular). The thing is though, being complex does not necessarily equal likeability, in this case it even has the opposite effect.

To Dragonball: The reason why Dragonball is so famous and successful is the fact that Toriyama brought all the Shounen characteristics to the mainstream. I am not saying that he was the first one to do it (definitely not) but he is the one who influenced most of the Shounen writers after him.

OT:
    Sword Art Online is easily one of the worst animes 2012, i still can not see it why people like that so much.

Steins Gate was good but nothing more. All the plot holes, the characters of Mayuri and Daru who pretty much only exist to fit certain stereotypes that are popular (dumb and moe, otaku behavior + humor) and the slow middle part of the anime prevents this title to be as extraordinary as it is often praised to be.

Ano Hi Mita Hana.... is the most overrated title of 2011, if not the last 5 years. The manga is praised to be exceptionally emotional and different because it addresses a topic that is normally not so present in anime, namely death of a loved person but i could not take any of the characters seriously because 1.) they are only stereotypical characters without any real emotions to present the audience and 2.) all the drama seemed soooo forced to me, especially considering that everything that happens in the present time apparently stems from a time in which they were little children, even all the love and jealousy (c´mon, really?).

Taiga of Toradora is often seen as one of the more acceptable Tsunderes but for me, she is the worst of all. Butting in other people´s business without any consideration, hitting people left and right, not showing any kind of gratitude especially to the people who are feeding you everyday, being rude all the time (honestly, i think that being rude has become cool or something) and then playing the sacrificing lamb makes me really hate her.

Sakamichi No Apollon is overrated. It starts with much promise as a series depicting the personality change of an anti-social boy to a more open person due to Jazz and new friends but it quickly succumbs to being just another "teenage angst drama" with love triangles all over the place.

4. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I agree, but the problem with that is people hate on Sasuke because he's an "emo," and they're probably fed up with Sharingan and Uchiha getting so much limelight. I'm just saying that I think right now, Sasuke is a much superior character to Naruto. Many will probably disagree and say he's not a good character at all.

Dragon Ball was awesome, I loved it. Dragon Ball Z was decent and got worse and repetitive. DB was action,adventure, and comedy. DBZ was mainly action with increasing power levels.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

The Walking Dead tv show is much better written than the comics. There I said it.

But more on topic, Dragonball was entertaining but not well put together. Everything about it screams "author had no concrete plans for nearly any of the story arcs". I loved it as a kid and still enjoy it sometimes but even Bleach has a better written overall story. But alas, it will be praised as the greatest fighting anime/manga ever while Hunter x Hunter fans sit in the corner and weep.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

Kya~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

So this is the place where people could unabashedly comment things they do not like? okay:

1. I would not understand why Sword Art Online is/was so popular. Sure, fantasy genre is a mainstream thing, but I was so turned off by its cliché and the writer of the light novel seems like making a fan fiction. I used to believe that the gamer world setting played an important role in boosting its popularity, but hey, Accel World was not really that popular.

2. Speaking of light novels, I would say that Haruhi and Welcome to the NHK! are two of the best light novels out there. I do not utter that statement based on only the story line, but also how their writers's linguistic ability are probably beyond average. I haven't read the original Japanese texts of both novels so my assessment might be unreliable. I do not know whether the below average literary skills I perceived come from of most of light novels are caused by poor translation or really the writers are... well, poorly skilled.

3. I like Near + Mello better than L.

8. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems to me that no matter which series it is (usually shonen), a lot of fans seem to dislike wimpy characters for being too whiny, too weak, too annoying, too dumb to live, etc. However, I tend to have a fond spot for these characters because they are juxtaposed with their peers who are superhumanly powerful. If we, the readers, are transported into the manga/anime world we would be on same level as these wimpy characters. Not only do they bring a sense of normalcy and a touch of realism to the manga/anime world, but they are also the characters who exhibit the most courage and growth when dealing with challenges.

Characters I have in mind: Usopp, Johnny (DGM), Tsuna and Furuichi- I'm not familiar with the Beelzebub fandom, but he fits the persona I've described.

10. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

^ Furuichi's become a bit of a controversial character in recent months, so I agree with you. I think what irritates people is how supposed "wimpy" characters have normalish, non-angsty lives when everyone else who do have supernatural powers are constantly embroiled in plot. Another thing I think people get touchy about is when said "wimpy" character is valued by the main characters in a way he isn't to the rest of the cast. Omg Asarii reads Beelzebub what that's awesome

Unpopular opinion: I love Mikasa from Attack on Titan a lot, but I can't help but think she needs some character development outside of her desire to protect Eren.

12. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    1. I would not understand why Sword Art Online is/was so popular. Sure, fantasy genre is a mainstream thing, but I was so turned off by its cliché and the writer of the light novel seems like making a fan fiction. I used to believe that the gamer world setting played an important role in boosting its popularity, but hey, Accel World was not really that popular.
    Are you talking about the LN here? I guess you do, as I'm pretty sure you haven't tried the anime. For all I can tell, SAO had a really good story for it's first part (which should be the first one or two novels), especially profiting from a well-written romance between the two main characters. My guess is that you're willing to endure worse arcs, like ALO which followed right after the first arc, when you like the characters and if you got hooked thanks to a good start. Hard to discuss this though, as I can't judge the skills of the writer of the LN.

3. I like Near + Mello better than L.
    Wow, that's indeed surprising I'm nowhere near the people who dropped the manga after L's death or who said it got a lot worse after him and that's already an unpopular opinion. Overall I would still rate L a bit higher than the Near-Mello combo though, despite the fact that I like Near and enjoyed how they were able to corner Light together.

Quote Originally Posted by Teeba View Post
    Unpopular opinion: I love Mikasa from Attack on Titan a lot, but I can't help but think she needs some character development outside of her desire to protect Eren.
    How's that an unpopular opinion? I feel the same and I guess a lot of other people do to. The problem is that the manga is focusing so much on the Titan's mystery right now that it rarely leaves room for character development. Well there is some but with the huge scale of this "war", there's so much Isayama can focus on that there's no telling when we will get another development from the main characters side.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Since the OP mentioned it, FMA is awful. The series is wildly hyped despite not having a single redeeming characteristic. The characters are uninteresting or just terrible, the world is not nearly as awesome as people make it out to be (I don't think it is awful, but it sure as hell isn't amazing), and the plot is pretty much pure shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Teeba View Post
    You could probably say that almost every character in that series could use more character development, and I say that despite considering Shingeki no Kyojin to be my favorite series at this time. The series is less about the characters than the world they inhabit, and that's fine.

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    Since the OP mentioned it, FMA is awful. The series is wildly hyped despite not having a single redeeming characteristic. The characters are uninteresting or just terrible, the world is not nearly as awesome as people make it out to be (I don't think it is awful, but it sure as hell isn't amazing), and the plot is pretty much pure shit.
    Would you care to elaborate? You made such bold statements that I'm inclined to know why. I thought FMA was good but not spectacularly good, and I'm surprised that there was nothing positive you took out of it.

BTW I think you're a brave soul.

18. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Kya~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    Are you talking about the LN here? I guess you do, as I'm pretty sure you haven't tried the anime. For all I can tell, SAO had a really good story for it's first part (which should be the first one or two novels), especially profiting from a well-written romance between the two main characters. My guess is that you're willing to endure worse arcs, like ALO which followed right after the first arc, when you like the characters and if you got hooked thanks to a good start. Hard to discuss this though, as I can't judge the skills of the writer of the LN.

Wow, that's indeed surprising I'm nowhere near the people who dropped the manga after L's death or who said it got a lot worse after him and that's already an unpopular opinion. Overall I would still rate L a bit higher than the Near-Mello combo though, despite the fact that I like Near and enjoyed how they were able to corner Light together.
    I never been so turned off by any Anime recently except SAO. Like I said many times previously, I do not want to sound like a no-brainer hater, so I did read the first novel back then, only to found out that I was going to be disappointed too. Maybe this is just a matter of very personal preference, but somehow every time I see a thread about "unpopular opinions" and the like, SAO would be the first thing come out in my mind.

I guess during the first part of DN, it was almost the same as other mind battle manga. During the second part, I felt that the story is getting more dynamics, especially in relationship between its characters.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I never been so turned off by any Anime recently except SAO. Like I said many times previously, I do not want to sound like a no-brainer hater, so I did read the first novel back then, only to found out that I was going to be disappointed too. Maybe this is just a matter of very personal preference, but somehow every time I see a thread about "unpopular opinions" and the like, SAO would be the first thing come out in my mind.

I guess during the first part of DN, it was almost the same as other mind battle manga. During the second part, I felt that the story is getting more dynamics, especially in relationship between its characters.
    At least you have a supporter in me

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ancy's Avatar
    Country
    Water Tribe
    Post Thanks / Like

For all I can tell, SAO had a really good story for it's first part (which should be the first one or two novels), especially profiting from a well-written romance between the two main characters. My guess is that you're willing to endure worse arcs, like ALO which followed right after the first arc, when you like the characters and if you got hooked thanks to a good start. Hard to discuss this though, as I can't judge the skills of the writer of the LN.

I'll even go further and suggest that SAO also deals with a psychological part of online interactions and their impact on real life. For me that makes SAO quite impressive. Besides, it's not only a manga, it's also a mirror of reality. How many of you had a crush on a MH member you've never seen and often thought of meeting that person IR life?? Some of you actually met your crush or your virtual friend exactly because that sparkling online interaction (which triggered genuine feelings for the other person) ....just think about it.
    "I'm a legal alien in the Netherlands "

22. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    Would you care to elaborate? You made such bold statements that I'm inclined to know why. I thought FMA was good but not spectacularly good, and I'm surprised that there was nothing positive you took out of it.

BTW I think you're a brave soul.
    It has been way too long since I've read the series for me to say too much more (I read it in the month before it ended. So, what, 2.5+ years?) without some retarded fan boy calling me out on a mistake and trying to use that as justification for why I'm completely wrong.

What I do remember is the villains were complete caricatures (villains need to be more interesting than your main characters) and the ending was absolutely awful. (my recollection of that was they were fighting Father who was beating the crap out of the heroes until suddenly he wasn't and they won without any great reason why anything changed other than the series needed them to for the good guys to win. I expect someone could want to challenge that)

24. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

How's that an unpopular opinion? I feel the same and I guess a lot of other people do to. The problem is that the manga is focusing so much on the Titan's mystery right now that it rarely leaves room for character development. Well there is some but with the huge scale of this "war", there's so much Isayama can focus on that there's no telling when we will get another development from the main characters side.
    I'm not really a part of Titan's fandom, so I just assumed thinking badly of Mikasa would be unpopular. Not that I dislike her, but there are some characters that fandom gets fiercely protective over.

Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    You could probably say that almost every character in that series could use more character development, and I say that despite considering Shingeki no Kyojin to be my favorite series at this time. The series is less about the characters than the world they inhabit, and that's fine.
    That's true. I didn't think about it like that.

Welp, I don't know if I have a lot of unpopular opinions now that I think about it. How "unpopular" does an unpopular opinion have to be? I'm sure even Reclaimer's opinion of FMA isn't as unpopular as it appears.

New Reply
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast