Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Unpopular Opinions

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Unpopular Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    I couldn't get into Blade of the immortal ( And I tried two times ). After 5 volumes, the girl is kinda annoying and I don't know if she is meant to fight or just be a damsel in distress. The hero mainly wins because he is immortal and can stab is enemy in the back. I probably should give it more time given the unanimous acclaim the serie has but I prefer spend it with series that hook me from the start for the moment.
    Blade of the Immortal is about the role of violence in society. Not just physical violence, but psychological violence. Violence in the family, warfare, law enforcement, medicine, and the state are all examined. Rin is not meant to fight, and she is not a damsel in distress. She is a 16 year old girl, with no combat training. That is the reason she hires Manji. She is there to ask the hard questions. This becomes more clear as the story progresses, she develops into an incredibly complex character.

Blade of the Immortal is not a fighting manga. It's a morality tale. The outcome of the fights in the first arc (volume 1 - 5) are not meant to generate any suspense. The dialog is meant to establish the philosophical foundation of the story, and lead to Anotsu. The nature of the fights change once Anotsu, Magatsu, and Makie are introduced. Things change even more once the Mugai-Ryuu are introduced, which shifts the battle lines dramatically. Action in Blade of the Immortal, like Berserk and Vagabond, can not be appreciated in the same way as they are in action-shounen. Their purpose within the plot is much different. Thinking of them the same way sells both short. Different things being done for different reasons, meant to be appreciated in different ways,
    Last edited by Kaiten; March 31, 2013 at 06:21 PM.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not a question that it does not follow a shounen scenario. It's not like I read only that. It is just that I have no appeal with the 2 main characters and I feel like I'm forced reading the story just because others say it is good.

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I see your point. For me it changed with volume 10, I think. Basically Anotsu's arc. That's when I got sucked in and couldn't stop reading.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Googlez_kun View Post
    Actually, I see your point. For me it changed with volume 10, I think. Basically Anotsu's arc. That's when I got sucked in and couldn't stop reading.
    The Mugai-ryuu are what really sucked me in. Shiro was such an evil bastard. The way he killed people is almost unprintable. The story really starts to develop when they are introduced.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Tiamat's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion Yachiru is more scary than Zaraki, afterall childs are very "dreadful"

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member thatguy3331's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Not exactly manga related, but...

I'm acctually one of those people who acctually DOESN'T like Railgun more than Index. Hell, I like Index alot more really, caring little for railgun and only keeping tabs on the manga.

Really I suppose its just a matter of taste, Its not like I think in theory and talking about it railgun is a bad series, but I just get bored of railgun pretty easily. Even though index is far, and I mean FAR from being a masterpiece of anysort, I acctually enjoyed myself which to me is the most important aspect of any series regardless of how good it is.
    Last edited by thatguy3331; April 23, 2013 at 03:00 PM.
    for anyone who likes my HxH mots, find em all here! and here too! My blog

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, since we can say what we think. I'm gonna say it even though I know everyone will attack me...with fire.

Berserk and Bleach are the most overrated Mangas in history. Even though the latter is completely horrible and the former is decent at best.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Why would you say Berserk is overrated? Is it overrated, or just not to your taste? It is always nice when people share the reason behind an opinion, it makes for much more pleasant conversation.

I daresay Bleach is not overrated. I can not think of a manga that generates more widespread criticism. Even Naruto is held in higher regard. Everyone takes shots at Bleach, except maybe it's core fanbase.

Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not saying that Berserk is bad, I actually tend to enjoy reading it. But everywhere I go, there is always that one guy who's like "BERSERK IS TEH BEST MANGA EVA" or "GATZ IS DE MOST BADASS CHARACTER EVA." The reason I said it's overrated is because most of it's fans aren't just satisfied with saying it's good, but they always say it's "teh best manga in history."

Now that I think about it, you may be right about Bleach. I've already seen several people complaining about it.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That's more about the fandom than the manga. I can see what you mean though. Every manga has some fans like that, Berserk fandom seems to have an unusually large number. It's hard to completely blame them, it is a classic and deserves much of the praise. That uncritical element of fandom can get very annoying though, especially when they are that vocal. I actually put off reading Berserk for a long time because of it. I got tired of hearing how great it was before I even had a chance to read it.

Everyone complains about Bleach. Betcha nobody even tries to defend it.
    Last edited by Kaiten; April 16, 2013 at 01:46 PM.

13. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I got tired of hearing how great it was before I even had a chance to read it.
    Funny. I had the exact same problem.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfNight View Post
    I'm not saying that Berserk is bad, I actually tend to enjoy reading it. But everywhere I go, there is always that one guy who's like "BERSERK IS TEH BEST MANGA EVA" or "GATZ IS DE MOST BADASS CHARACTER EVA." The reason I said it's overrated is because most of it's fans aren't just satisfied with saying it's good, but they always say it's "teh best manga in history."

Now that I think about it, you may be right about Bleach. I've already seen several people complaining about it.
    Honestly, i know it is not easy but you can not let other people´s statements influence your perception of a series, no matter which media form. I know that is something impossible to actually achieve but i try as much as i can to avoid biased views. Especially a fan community of a series is not the best source for a truthful rating. If you have in mind that some people call a certain series "the best of all time", then it is actually quite hard to impress you.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm - regarding Beserk, I saw the anime and skipped head with wiki. Totally got spoiled several years back.
    Caused me to lose interest in it. Although it being a classic and apparently a 'great' read is a common sentiment.

Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Honestly, i know it is not easy but you can not let other people´s statements influence your perception of a series, no matter which media form. I know that is something impossible to actually achieve but i try as much as i can to avoid biased views. Especially a fan community of a series is not the best source for a truthful rating. If you have in mind that some people call a certain series "the best of all time", then it is actually quite hard to impress you.
    Berserk fanbase is especially irritating. For example, a One piece fan can tell you that Naruto is good but One piece is better or vice-versa. And among OP and Naruto fans, few boast being fans of the best series of all time.

But Berserk fans, oh god have mercy. Every single fan I've met of this series (so far) claims it to be the greatest Manga in history (as if such a manga even exist.) And if you so much try to disagree, they always say "You're a (insert popular Shounen title) 'tard."

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Nast.J's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Berserk the greatest manga in history? I might become hated but i'll say it.

I've heard of Berserk for years and years... But i was too lazy to catch up, so many chapters to catch up and i was really not going to waste time on catching up. But then i decided to start it and trust me, the story might have been pretty good for the first 50 chapters and i was really enjoying it but then it came to a point where it was too repetitive and Gats was always winning or barely escaped death against strong enemies. And that wasn't happening once or twice, it was practically the same plot for every fights, 10/20 chapters of fight and then he would either win or lose (but he would still not die) and from time to time, some mysteries were revealed or solved.

Then i realized that it was all hype, the beggining was excellent but then like i mentionned before it got repetitive so i dropped it.

I still hear people calling it the greatest manga ever and it got first place on MAL which is totally astonishing. I wonder how the hell did people manage to continue reading it, i was getting tired at around chapter 250 and i was trying so hard to finish it just to see where it would get amazing but it never did. I applaud the people that managed to read all the chapters.

As for SAO, the main concept was good (joining a game) but there were too many illogical stuffs. It's sad because the animation and songs were really great.
    Spoiler show
    The plot could have been way better but i feel like it was centered on love...
    Last edited by Nast.J; April 16, 2013 at 02:52 PM.

20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast