Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Unpopular Opinions

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Unpopular Opinions

Not liking FMA is a pretty unpopular opinion. It's as close to universally beloved as any manga I can think of. The Homunculi and Father are among the most popular manga villains I can think of, that too would be a very unpopular opinion. Preferring Near and Mello to L also would be an unpopular opinion.

I personally don't enjoy Tetzuka manga. While I can understand his position in manga history, I find most of his manga to be very dated, and a little bit childish. Definitely not the conventional wisdom about Tezuka.
    Last edited by Kaiten; January 31, 2013 at 12:11 AM.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Teeba View Post
    I'm not really a part of Titan's fandom, so I just assumed thinking badly of Mikasa would be unpopular. Not that I dislike her, but there are some characters that fandom gets fiercely protective over.

That's true. I didn't think about it like that.

Welp, I don't know if I have a lot of unpopular opinions now that I think about it. How "unpopular" does an unpopular opinion have to be? I'm sure even Reclaimer's opinion of FMA isn't as unpopular as it appears.
    Can be unpopular as in majority of the people would disagree or anyone would disagree. Harsh on FMA though.

I honestly consider Dragon Ball Z to be one of the worse action shounens I've read, which can't be blamed on Toriyama. It started out decently, but then it got worse with all the power levels and shit. Then instead of making Gohan the central character, Toriyama decided to change it back to Goku just because he was popular. As he originally planned to, he should have ended the series after Namek blew up.

Dragon Ball is still amazing and one of my favorites, though.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member thatguy3331's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Regarding Pokemon Special (because I'm in manchild mode at the momment):
    for anyone who likes my HxH mots, find em all here! and here too! My blog

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ancy;3276478[B
    ]I'll even go further and suggest that SAO also deals with a psychological part of online interactions and their impact on real life[/B]. For me that makes SAO quite impressive. Besides, it's not only a manga, it's also a mirror of reality. How many of you had a crush on a MH member you've never seen and often thought of meeting that person IR life?? Some of you actually met your crush or your virtual friend exactly because that sparkling online interaction (which triggered genuine feelings for the other person) ....just think about it.
    You are confusing SAO´s potential to do that with what SAO really did, namely depicting the wet dream of any 15 year old online gamer

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ancy's Avatar
    Country
    Water Tribe
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    You are confusing SAO´s potential to do that with what SAO really did, namely depicting the wet dream of any 15 year old online gamer
    Maybe you just want to mention what SAO really does on the surface. But if you look at the bigger picture you'll notice that online behaviour is translated into offline behaviour and the other way around (see trends and try to understand how the psychology of cyberspace actually works).

My advice ~when analysing the story, take a look at all the factors involved, not only at romance/wetdreams/whatnot.
    Last edited by Ancy; March 16, 2013 at 11:10 AM.
    "Take off your mask
    And you will see
    The freak in you
    The freak in me!
    "

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ancy View Post
    Maybe you just want to mention what SAO really does on the surface. But if you look at the bigger picture you'll notice that online behaviour is translated into offline behaviour and the other way around (see trends and try to understand how the psychology of cyberspace actually works).

My advice ~when analysing the story, take a look at all the factors involved, not only at romance/wetdreams/whatnot.
    Again, if SAO actually had that as a theme, i would have liked it, even if the execution were bad but it did not. It uses a pretentious frame (do you say that in English?) to glut the audience with fanservice. You are basically holding onto that concept of SAO depicting cyberspace psychology because that is what interests you the most apparently but honestly, that´s like a tiny part of what SAO really is. Of course you can argue that everyone is taking what they want from the story but that does not change the fact that the depth in SAO is just not there, at least not in the anime and if we can trust Doraku´s words, in the light novel neither. If you really want a story that depicts the topic you are talking about, watch hack//Sign. .hack is a good contrast to SAO because it shares the basic premise ('can't log out of a MMO') but there's no silly fights, no campy wish-fulfillment pining or shameless self-insert, but real drama with mystery. There's also a legit romance and solid, gradual character development. There are themes and ideas explored throughout the story and a genuine, deplorable villain.
    Then again, i am not claiming that SAO is that bad, it is basically just mediocre and thus does not deserve the praise and success it got.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member jakensama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Though I enjoyed Code Geass, I absolutely despised Lelouch.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't get into Blade of the immortal ( And I tried two times ). After 5 volumes, the girl is kinda annoying and I don't know if she is meant to fight or just be a damsel in distress. The hero mainly wins because he is immortal and can stab is enemy in the back. I probably should give it more time given the unanimous acclaim the serie has but I prefer spend it with series that hook me from the start for the moment.

Rewriter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna call it and say One Piece is totally overrated. Without a doubt a good manga but it's massive success was always beyond me and I still can't understand what makes it so much better than other series.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Minato is a great character, but Kishi messed up by making him look so perfect or good, and by changing Minato from not being able to do much against Tobi to making Tobi retreat, as much as I loved seeing Minato own. Made Minato even more overrated.

Feels like Ichigo's powerups and etc are asspulls to make him stronger, like Quincy and etc.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

I know I should be grateful of some sort, but nowadays I think scanlators are way too much of themselves. Bad translations but still they're watermarking... Fuck them.

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    I know I should be grateful of some sort, but nowadays I think scanlators are way too much of themselves. Bad translations but still they're watermarking... Fuck them.
    That is nothing. I remember the old flame wars between HQ groups and speed scanners a few years ago.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    If you are talking about the scanlator who provides a fast release of the big 3, there is a company behind it that makes money out of it, so no need to feel guilty^^

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember HQ vs. speed. Speedy translation tended to be bad while HQ had very good translation. But it's because of better translators.

Forgot why they started watermarking but I guess scanlators got annoyed with their superior scans being stolen without credit.

Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

You're right about that. Some of the said scan groups did not want their release to be hosted on external sites. Therefore had them watermarked.

New Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast