Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 (2)
New Reply
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Unpopular Opinions

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Unpopular Opinions

Not to heap on HxH but I'm with you guys too

And I've always suspected there is quite a big silent group of people that don't think as highly of Hunter X Hunter as it's fans do. It just one of those odd things that you either "think is amazing" or you "don't get it". I don't get it, and I wrote a series review of it once to that effect, but since it comes out so rarely it's something I just never find myself discussing the series very much.

I usually just forget about it until a discussion of "great shounen series" comes up and somebody throws it into the discussion.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for RPG fans]
    Black Haze [Esp. for Fairy Tail fans]
    Geukji High [Esp. for Kenichi fans.]
    Divine Bells [Esp. for Action/Comedy fans]
    Dragons Rioting [Esp. for Ecchi fans]

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not going to bother arguing taste. I'll let a professional do that for me: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/hous...nga/2012-04-26

A nice summation of what makes HxH so special, and why it has such a dedicated fanbase. Among shounen action, I would put HxH ahead of even One Piece.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    I've started reading HxH and it's not that bad, but it doesn't seem to be that good or groundbreaking. I'm just annoyed with its fandom, how they defend Togashi being a lazy ass and say HxH is the "bestest" thing ever.
    the artwork in the manga show some of togashi's impatience or laziness

(which is also evident by his extended hiatuses in HXH due to him playing dragonquest....thats right dragonquest....)

however i must admit the power-structure and character detail in HXH Is nothing short of amazing, the plot is so well written that it makes up for his lack of artistic detail

the whole nen system for power and how well designed , thought out , and organized it is sets a good example for how other shounen manga should develop their power structure

---------- Post added at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I'm not going to bother arguing taste. I'll let a professional do that for me: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/hous...nga/2012-04-26

A nice summation of what makes HxH so special, and why it has such a dedicated fanbase. Among shounen action, I would put HxH ahead of even One Piece.
    oddly enough HXH and OP are my two favorites

i love bleach naruto and DGM also

but those two are the top

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    Not to heap on HxH but I'm with you guys too

And I've always suspected there is quite a big silent group of people that don't think as highly of Hunter X Hunter as it's fans do. It just one of those odd things that you either "think is amazing" or you "don't get it". I don't get it, and I wrote a series review of it once to that effect, but since it comes out so rarely it's something I just never find myself discussing the series very much.

I usually just forget about it until a discussion of "great shounen series" comes up and somebody throws it into the discussion.
    I guess the hiatus adds to the prestige of HxH and makes it look better than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post

Professional. Sure. Interesting theories as to why Togashi is being a lazy git with HxH.

But yes, it does have a dedicated fanbase. Fanbase who'd probably think a new chapter that has a panel of poop is a work of art and a great chapter.

Wish I could think about the manga itself more, but I haven't gotten past chapter 5 in days, likely the combination of bad quality and other distractions. If anyone does know of a place where I can read HxH in good quality, please let me know. Unlike Toriko, HxH doesn't seem to be bad at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisame Hoshigaki View Post
    the artwork in the manga show some of togashi's impatience or laziness

(which is also evident by his extended hiatuses in HXH due to him playing dragonquest....thats right dragonquest....)

however i must admit the power-structure and character detail in HXH Is nothing short of amazing, the plot is so well written that it makes up for his lack of artistic detail

the whole nen system for power and how well designed , thought out , and organized it is sets a good example for how other shounen manga should develop their power structure
    I don't get why fans defend Togashi. If he took a month or year break and got back to doing the manga, or worked a year and took a break for a year, I would understand. But he's taking an indefinite break, with possibly no plans to get back into doing the manga. Not only is that unprofessional, but it's also irresponsible for Togashi to do so.

One good thing about most Naruto fans is that we're not that blind towards the series or the mangaka; many of us accept the bad quality of the series and Kishi being horrible. If Kishi took an indefinite break, I would be very annoyed and unhappy, I would not kiss his ass or praise him, though I wouldn't mind if he took a break for few weeks.

In this case though, I consider Kishi and Oda two superior mangaka to Togashi because they actually do their work, even if Kishi does a bad job. They don't take indefinite breaks just because they're lazy or jerks. Hell, even sick and hospitalized Oda still continued to work on the manga.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member thatguy3331's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post

Wish I could think about the manga itself more, but I haven't gotten past chapter 5 in days, likely the combination of bad quality and other distractions. If anyone does know of a place where I can read HxH in good quality, please let me know. Unlike Toriko, HxH doesn't seem to be bad at all.
    2011 anime on crunchyroll?
    for anyone who likes my HxH mots, find em all here! and here too! My blog

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not like anime at all. Takes 20 minutes at least to get through one episode when I can get through at least 5 chapters in that time, if not more.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member thatguy3331's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well here's one that may piss people off...

I've read through the first 6 or so volumes of berserk recently and I just find it ok. I don't hate it or anything, but I don't love it like I know a lot of people do. I think my issue is the fact that so far, I haven't given a crap for anyone so far. Don't get me wrong I think guts is so far well written and Griffith i kind of interesting, but that's it. To me the series has proven itself to be well written so I can very well see where the love is coming from and give it it's due credit but so far can't say I have the same enthusiasm for it.
    Last edited by thatguy3331; November 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM.
    for anyone who likes my HxH mots, find em all here! and here too! My blog

8. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6