Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: A Rise in 'Dark' Shonen Manga?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member tonyyao82's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

A Rise in 'Dark' Shonen Manga?

I was wondering what everyone thinks whether dark shonen manga (i.e. Attack on Titan) could be super-mainstream. I posted some thoughts at:

http://www.mangatherapy.com/post/405...k-shonen-manga

I do know that there are a whole slew of dark shonen titles out there & the genre could be just evolving, but could we be getting to a point where more popular dark shonen titles (and not just one) rank high in the charts? I wonder if more titles like "Attack on Titan" and "The Flowers of Evil" (or even more "Death Note"-like titles) will be published.

What do you guys think?

"I'll send you flying.....TO THE END OF THE WORLD!" - Itsuki "Ikki" Minami (Air Gear)

Manga Therapy: Where Psychology & Manga Meet (http://www.mangatherapy.com)

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Bromamura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Rise in 'Dark' Shonen Manga?

Dark is in. The Dark Knight, Star Trek into Darkness, Thor the Dark World, Man of Steel. Maybe some shonen are heading for a similar direction as summer movies. As long as a few series does it well then more demand will be created.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Its interesting that this was a thread here and even focusing on Attack on Titan and seeing that which happened with it becoming 2nd biggest selling manga series this year and one of the most talked about in both the typical anime communities and even having some crossover to the non traditional following of manga and animated media.

I guess it does suggest that there is market for dark manga, however I think now we will just start seeings tons more. Problem with this focus in the genre is that at times people try to be way too edgy and cutting edge and try to make things depressingly suspenseful and killing off characters in gruesome ways with little regard for developing a good story and what not.

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Hi-Fi Cluster | Team Food Wars!

Wrecking Ball 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Liberia
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Shounen manga with dark themes have always been there, especially in less popular magazines. So the market for such genre is always exist, just less known. I don't know if this is true but I believe the sharp increase of Shingeki popularity is one of the main reasons why there are some people who become more open minded about the dark story line in mainstream Shounen lately. I feel to some extent some Shounen titles in "90 are same or more as violent compared to SnK.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member SHINOBI-03's Avatar
    Country
    Dubai
    Post Thanks / Like

My theory is since Shonen Jump was dominating the market and we know how shonen nowadays became too kiddified compared to previous decades and how a lot is toned down like violence and death and finding every excuse to bring dead characters back because God forbid the ratings will go down the drains if a fan favorite character died, with anime adaptations being a factor since it's even more toned down and doesn't take big chances in fear of PTA complaints, then no wonder dark shonen got more popular.

People seems to have gotten tired of these super predictable juvenile shonen manga and want to have something more edgy, more risk taking, and actually smartly written. Something doesn't screw around and does take itself seriously. And since Attack on Titan was a major success, then it proved that it's possible for dark shonen to get it as well.

Not to derail the topic, but "Dark Magical Girl" genre seems to have gained an increase as well with the success of Puella Magi Madoka Magica. We saw Gen'ei o Kakeru Taiyou that tried to do the same, and EFFed up manga "Mahou Shoujou of the End" and "Mahou Shoujo Site" (both by the same author) in which took a silly concept like Magical Girls and turned it to one of the most screwed up things I've ever read! And I think Gainax will give it a shot as well.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SHINOBI-03 View Post
    My theory is since Shonen Jump was dominating the market and we know how shonen nowadays became too kiddified compared to previous decades and how a lot is toned down like violence and death and finding every excuse to bring dead characters back because God forbid the ratings will go down the drains if a fan favorite character died, with anime adaptations being a factor since it's even more toned down and doesn't take big chances in fear of PTA complaints, then no wonder dark shonen got more popular.

People seems to have gotten tired of these super predictable juvenile shonen manga and want to have something more edgy, more risk taking, and actually smartly written. Something doesn't screw around and does take itself seriously. And since Attack on Titan was a major success, then it proved that it's possible for dark shonen to get it as well.

Not to derail the topic, but "Dark Magical Girl" genre seems to have gained an increase as well with the success of Puella Magi Madoka Magica. We saw Gen'ei o Kakeru Taiyou that tried to do the same, and EFFed up manga "Mahou Shoujou of the End" and "Mahou Shoujo Site" (both by the same author) in which took a silly concept like Magical Girls and turned it to one of the most screwed up things I've ever read! And I think Gainax will give it a shot as well.
    But did any of those get mainstream? Day Break Illusion seemed to not really have much in the way of sales success.

I dont think JUMPs audience cares for dark series, any that have started in the last three years have just failed to stick around.

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Hi-Fi Cluster | Team Food Wars!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member thatguy3331's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

All I'll say is this: I look forward to the day when dark series become so over-saturated people will start getting sick of it.

As far as a rise, eh, maybe, but I've never been one to say dark=good so it's pretty irrelevant to me. you can be dark and suck balls, what people need to realize is that the the quality of writing is what needs a kick in the butt not the tone. Sure I don't follow every shonen series out there and the demographic sub gnere it's formed does need to mature in some areas (looking at you jump) but if everyone starts mimicking attack on titan the oversaturation could reach pretty much the same amount as it has for shonen and light novel based anime and in few years time there's gonna be a podcast on how it's "bringing down the community man!"

Well there's my two cents.
    for anyone who likes my HxH mots, find em all here! and here too! My blog

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

I dunno, I don't really see anymore dark shonen manga than before. It's neat one of them is a best seller (Shingeki) but I don't really see any new trends. Even Jump has had plenty of "dark" manga run in it depending on how we want to define the term: First of the North Star, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Bastard!!, Hell Teacher Nube, Mind Assassin, Hoshin Engi, Mysterious Puppeteer Sakon, even Nuero got pretty dark, and those are just the ones I've personally encountered in one magazine. Honestly, sometimes it feels like there are less floating around.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

New Reply