Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply

Thread: Manga Interests

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Shabozz's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Manga Interests

Hey guys I'm thinking about starting my own manga. Even know I'm not the best artist when it comes to drawing. I just wanted to know what catches your attention when you read a new manga for the first time, or when you begin to read one what makes you wanting to keep reading it and keeps you interested into the story line of something new or something your reading for the first time?

MangaHelper 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member jakensama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Manga Interests

1. Art style- A really compelling and unique look will immediately grab my attention.
    2. Atypical story-I usually avoid even well told stories if they have been done a million times before. Something fascinating and fresh will appeal.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm really lazy when picking up new series so what motivates me to read the first chapter is the premise. It can be anything from a Wikipedia summary or a one sentence synopsis akin to the Laconic subpage on TVTropes.

What makes me want to continue are the protagonist and the pacing of the story. Since the story will be centred on the main character, they have to be someone I can like or at least tolerate until their character development. If the characterization isn't strong at all, the manga should at least make up for it with the secondary characters or have the plot be really interesting.

The pace is important too. I know that there's a high risk of cancellation in the early stages if one's publishing in a magazine, but the plot shouldn't move too fast nor should it move too slow. It should offer us something here and there that will keep us hooked but making sure at the same time that it doesn't offer too much.

Over in the WSj thread, FanOfAniManga wrote a good post about what makes some new manga more successful than others.

Anyway good luck, Shabozz!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Shabozz's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys I will definitely look into it. I do have some chapters wrote but it is hard to find people who would like to help draw and scan it especially for free. Yet and still I will not let that stop me from writhing it. I will continue it and soon post at least the first chapter to see if it gets people attention. I do have friend s on Facebook who like it so I was thinking of making a little fan page so I can at least have an update every Tuesday or what ever day I choose to release it. Yes it seems that a lot of people do like the unique art as well as the time of when it will release. Also as you said the pacing of the story and how the main characters will be. Yet an still I keep that in mind also to paint a picture with words even if there is or isn't a picture ready. Thank you guys for the tips I will keep them close and in mind when I do write

New Reply