Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/1/14 - 9/7/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 by cnet128 , Gintama 509 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Chihayafuru 2

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Hamy's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chihayafuru 2

Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    But... that last part must have meant something. When Hanano asks about who she thinks often, she wonders about Arata. Then...
    I feel sad for Taichi. He's having dark expression again...
    As much as I like Taichi... I love GatsArata so I will always cheer for these two. Still end of the day I think what is interesting really about Chihayafuru is that despite being so surrounded by elements of love that could easily make it focus solely on romance and end up as a romantic melodrama its nice that it never indulges in that and keeps its focus on Karuta. Also I have to say this show really knows how to handle emotions well being able to play with them so effortlessly that there is always a mix of both comedy and drama that always keeps this show/manga feeling fresh.
    Last edited by Hamy; February 23, 2013 at 09:50 AM.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hamy View Post
    As much as I like Taichi... I love GatsArata so I will always cheer for these two. Still end of the day I think what is interesting really about Chihayafuru is that despite being so surrounded by elements of love that could easily make it focus solely on romance and end up as a romantic melodrama its nice that it never indulges in that and keeps its focus on Karuta. Also I have to say this show really knows how to handle emotions well being able to play with them so effortlessly that there is always a mix of both comedy and drama that always keeps this show/manga feeling fresh.
    Are you trying to provoke me?

I agree on how this series is good in trying to keep its focus on karuta, but it won't be good if they focus on it too much that the other problem (namely the romance) is not solved in the end. I hope that as the series progresses and the characters develop their skills in karuta, the romance can also be built bit by bit.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you trying to provoke me?

I agree on how this series is good in trying to keep its focus on karuta, but it won't be good if they focus on it too much that the other problem (namely the romance) is not solved in the end. I hope that as the series progresses and the characters develop their skills in karuta, the romance can also be built bit by bit.
    But I LOVE GATSARATA I cannot deny it so yes I do have a bias towards that pairing.

Of course end of the day I think its fair to say that she belongs to neither Arata nor Taichi romance just genuinely isn't on her radar at the moment even if both men are diligently waiting for that day I think its best that they too put it on the back burner, well Arata certainly does while Taichi should just focus on Karuta more. Frankly, Chihaya just seems incapable of romance XD

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

But I LOVE GATSARATA I cannot deny it so yes I do have a bias towards that pairing.

Of course end of the day I think its fair to say that she belongs to neither Arata nor Taichi romance just genuinely isn't on her radar at the moment even if both men are diligently waiting for that day I think its best that they too put it on the back burner, well Arata certainly does while Taichi should just focus on Karuta more. Frankly, Chihaya just seems incapable of romance XD
    You are provoking me.

But if it keeps that way until the end, Chihaya will end up as an old maid. It's not that she's incapable, she's just too dense. Unless someone walk up straight to her and insist (because just telling won't work, I guess she'll think it's a joke) that he is in love with her, she won't know. She might reject the person for karuta right then, but I guess for a girl like her, it won't stay that way for long. I can't imagine she's the type who is "married" to her work.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

You are provoking me.

But if it keeps that way until the end, Chihaya will end up as an old maid. It's not that she's incapable, she's just too dense. Unless someone walk up straight to her and insist (because just telling won't work, I guess she'll think it's a joke) that he is in love with her, she won't know. She might reject the person for karuta right then, but I guess for a girl like her, it won't stay that way for long. I can't imagine she's the type who is "married" to her work.
    I don't think feel she is dense as she is really married to Karuta so to speak XD. Love certainly does fluster her though at the very least. Still I think before she can really think about love she has to become a Queen and only then do I think she'll begin considering other things. Interestingly enough when you think about it she hasn't actually made big splashes on the individual karuta tournaments, well she may have made quite an impression on the queen but end of the day she's not yet on the horizon of someone to watch out for. She has talent but results need to be actualized before I think she can begin to come to terms with looking beyond Karuta or noticing certain things around her.

And I am not provoking you I really do love GATSArata how can you not like him? Speaking of which I have read the manga up to the latest point lets just say the anime will reach two very incredible matches - well at least I hope so but I think there is a good shot at it.

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

*totally laughed at how Gats avatar is Arata. Hamy's avatar should be Chihaya!*

Sorry, Hamy-neechan, but I'm siding with Mom in this case.

Taichi has to be the one. He has always been the one who watches over Chihaya so it's sooo unfair for Chihaya to only be looking at Arata. What Chihaya said truly shows the signal that she's always thinking about Arata, but I don't know, because of my bias I think it's not really love. When she thinks of Arata she always relate to karuta. That's not how it goes if you like someone. I think Chihaya may as well end up being an old maid, or Taichi really has to forget all shame and just confess to Chihaya for them to happen. She's too dense, it has always been about karuta. She hasn't seen anything else up until now, not even school. Or she's thinking about it, but the portion in her brain that does that is waaay to small compared to karuta.

I was touched when the concert club played for the karuta club. Simple support but full of meaning. Although the ending made me go all sad again.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

*but it is clear from her set that she prefers to be the Queen instead of Chihaya*

That's my daughter.

I think Chihaya cares for both of them, it's just that since Arata is far away and is better than her in karuta, she thinks about him more often. Taichi has always been there for her, so I guess that's why she doesn't think much about him. But it makes thing more tragic really for Taichi. It's as if Chihaya takes Taichi for granted. I wonder what Chihaya will do if someday Taichi is no longer there for her.
    Taichi is not the type to hide his feeling, so I guess he understands that if he confess to her now, their friendship might be ruined because Chihaya is still too focused on karuta and Arata.

9. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I am so in love with the OP. Hard to express. *sigh*

Episode 8 is so funny, lol. How can they make an episode so funny yet beautifully touching at the same time? It's very strange to see a Japanese correcting the pronounciation of foreigners, only to find out that those foreigners are impostors, lol. The overall pronounciation is not bad, just not natural. It's a bit too slow to be natural for foreigners side especially, that's how Taichi figured it out, but still a good work from the voice actors/actresses. XDD The rest of the battle is just awesome as usual.

Arataa~ He comes~~

Kya~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this the right place to ask, but.. should I go directly to the season 2 if I have caught up with the manga? or would there be something I'd miss? I heard the first season is painfully slow, so I'm a little bit reluctant if I have to start from the beginning.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    Not sure if this the right place to ask, but.. should I go directly to the season 2 if I have caught up with the manga? or would there be something I'd miss? I heard the first season is painfully slow, so I'm a little bit reluctant if I have to start from the beginning.
    Which part of the manga?

I read the releases by LazyAss and the latest chapter they released is not yet the end of season 1. But the next chapter ready is still in the future of season 2, reading the spoilers at Chihayafuru thread. To be objective I think skipping season 1 is not really troublesome, as there is no real plot development in Chihayafuru. It's a slice-of-life series, with few episodes talking about one competition, or their activity at school, and so on. There isn't huge or basic plot you have to know in season 1 so you can jump right away to season 2. But talking subjectively, while the pace of this series is slow (even season 2 too is slow), it's exactly the character developments that makes me enjoy the series. So it's your call.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Not asking for links with this thread but more of did I just totally miss the release of the 2nd OP release? Or was it simply listed under its Japanese name and characters? Either way, I love the 2nd OP~.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Not asking for links with this thread but more of did I just totally miss the release of the 2nd OP release? Or was it simply listed under its Japanese name and characters? Either way, I love the 2nd OP~.
    I missed it too! Looks like it has been released a while ago for the video to be out on YouTube, I guess? Time to go hunt it at Google, lol. But indeed, it's as lovely as the first OP. Thumbs up for 99RadioService! <33

edit: According to quick research on Google the official release date is March 6th, although the PV is already out. Mukyaa~
    Last edited by phio_chan; March 05, 2013 at 02:48 AM.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    Honestly first and 2nd season are at the same pace just that 2nd season already is around mid-way to the series so obviously a lot of things have happened to so speak compared to the first season. However, I would strongly advise to watch the anime rather than read the manga with this particular series for one very important reason. Namely sound. Poetry which figures centrally into the series is something you need to actually hear in order to appreciate especially in the case of a poetry whose language you're completely foreign too, so you're divorced quite a bit from appreciating the poems (not being able to hear it or appreciate the meter and rhyme of sounds created as well as reading a translation) other than at the level of allegory in the manga.

Here with the anime you an at least attempt to bridge the appreciation of poetry by hearing it read which makes a worlds difference as that is exactly how you appreciate poetry and the sounds created by the words constructed together is certainly a joy itself to listen to as it has quite a sonorous form to it. Poetry needs to be read and by reading it to distinguish sounds you come to appreciate the form bound by the rules set, which is especially obvious with the poems here. So more than anything I'd easily advise watching the first season than jumping into the 2nd because this is one series that really comes to life in animation, particularly because of sound that figures quite importantly to the subject matter.
    Last edited by Hamy; March 05, 2013 at 02:29 AM.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally caught up to ep 8. I should say the biggest surprise was the foreigners, LOL~ I actually said WOW along with Chihaya and friends. Of course, when they start talking, it's.... . I understand how intimidating foreigners can be, but Chihaya's reaction is just . As expected from a karuta maniac like her. It's a pity that they are not wearing hakama this year... I was expecting more beautiful hakama honestly.
    The worst is when Miyano (yeah, I'm referring to the voice actor!) is starting to speak in English.. God, my ears burned. How come you correct others' pronunciation when yours is not much better than theirs... I hope next time he'll learn how to speak at least that line better. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh () since I do believe the voice actors must have tried their best, but I am more critical about this since I just can't take it when I know someone is not having correct pronunciation (if someone crazy about grammar is called grammar nazi, then what about someone crazy about pronunciation?)

Oh, I have to mention I LOVE the Queen's (their teacher, I mean) expression when Chihaya got her card.

I think this is a really good eps, you know. It teaches how the love for karuta can be universal. I'm glad for the foreigners that they play against Mizusawa first. IT shall be a good experience for them.

And yeah, Arata! I'm excited that he's coming not because of he himself, actually... More because of the plot will get more interesting.
    And gosh, the Queen (this time, Shinobu) is creepy.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

And yeah, Arata! I'm excited that he's coming not because of he himself, actually... More because of the plot will get more interesting.
    And gosh, the Queen (this time, Shinobu) is creepy.
    Glad to see you're warming up to GatsArata but you know the queen has always been creepy when it comes to something she's terribly obsessed with (in this case Karuta otherwise it would be those awful mascots) and GatsArata happens to be one of her biggest obsessions for obvious reasons.

Remember GatsArata stood undefeated for his age bracket, as Nishida had pointed out before as being his reason for making him wane on Karuta (GatsArata was so good that he basically smashed everyone with his almost insurmountable talent), until he decided to stop due to the incident with his grandfather which traumatized him so you can guess why Shinobu is absolutely obsessed with him.
    Last edited by Hamy; March 05, 2013 at 06:42 PM.

New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast