Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How did Ichigo get his zanpakuto?

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zimbardo's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How did Ichigo get his zanpakuto?

Quote Originally Posted by Notak View Post
    Or, Ichigo's zan is simply not powered by an Asauchi.
    Well, his Zanpakuto didn't look like a regular Asauchi katana before he released it for the first time. So, either:
    1/ Zanpakuto's that are constant release types - i.e. Ichigo's/Kenpachi's do not look like regular katanas before being released for the first time
    2/ Ichigo had his Zanpakuto before Rukia gave him her powers - fits with him being given an 'Asauchi' earlier in his life unknowingly - thus it had time to change shape as it adapted to his soul.
    3/ Urahara made an Asauchi type, that looks different, and gave it to Ichigo earlier.
    4/ Giving someone else your power does something weird to the Asauchi/makes a new type/look different?
    5/ Ichigo doesn't have an Asauchi (different from 3 in that Urahara wouldn't have made whatever it is).

I still like the idea of number 3
    Infinite RAGE!

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Beatrice's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sanadan View Post
    Ok, as I understand it from the latest chapter the Zans are handed out by the Zan man in the Royal Guard.
    Spoiler show

Now if this is true then Rukia once got her as well and when she stabbed Ichigo he got all of her power. This meant her Zan too right? But wouldn't this Zan be Rukias? Ichigo never went to soul society to get one of his own right? And if that is so, why does Rukia have one? Or did she get a new one and if so, how were they as in tune as her and her last one and why did Ichigos not contain the Reiatsu of Rukia?

My mind is full of ****
    Some one help me out here.
    You mean this?
    Spoiler show
    "Sleep peacefully, my most beloved witch, Beatrice."

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that Beatrice,

SO Ichigo had an Asauchi at the same time as he had Zangetsu - the Asauchi from Rukia - but Zangetsu from where?
    Again suggesting, to me at least, that Ichigo's Zanpakuto never was an 'Asauchi' to begin with...
    Infinite RAGE!

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Beatrice's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zimbardo View Post
    Thanks for that Beatrice,

SO Ichigo had an Asauchi at the same time as he had Zangetsu - the Asauchi from Rukia - but Zangetsu from where?
    Again suggesting, to me at least, that Ichigo's Zanpakuto never was an 'Asauchi' to begin with...
    Maybe it has to do with blood or heritance?
    Isshin is a Shinigami and the father of Ichigo and by chance is also able to use Getsuga Tensho, Engetsu and Zangetsu.
    When Rukia gave her powers to him, his body remembered just as it did with Blut and the sword he got from Rukia automatically transformed into Zangetsu.
    So to say, a part of Isshin of course lies within Ichigo as they're father and son thus having similiar souls yet being different thus Engetsu is living on inside Ichigo but partially only as Ichigo still has a different soul afterall, changing Engetsu to Zangetsu within him.

Just a wild guess.
    "Sleep peacefully, my most beloved witch, Beatrice."

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think a ichigo could have just remembered having a zampakuto in the same way he remembered blutz. The issue with zampakuto is that they are beings in themselves who start out as separate from shinigami. In this regard any scenario of ichigo not being given an asauchi like everyone else implies that either ichigo or his parents birthed the asauchi to some degree. I wonder if zampakuto can spawn asauchi though. Perhaps ichigo's own zampakuto came from his dad's zampakuto to some degree?

Seeing the chapter it is a tad strange ichigo had a sword when he just acquired his powers though. Wouldn't rukia have found that to be a tad strange to begin with? Of course, it is entirely possible she herself did not quite understand zampakuto to begin with so she simply didn't have the working knowledge to find the incident all that weird (or perhaps there was so much weird around it that she missed that part).

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Notak's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Good point Beatrice, some shinigami go to SS after death, and others inherit powers from shinigami parents. So maybe it is a blood thing.

Or, Ichigo subconsciously made his own Asauchi using his dormant Quincy and Fullbring powers. Quincy's can gather reishi and Fullbringers can bring out abilities, that combined with his shinigami blood possibly did something?

One thing to note is that Ichigo never seemed to have Zangetsu until Urahara trained him to achieve Shikai.

Well, his Zanpakuto didn't look like a regular Asauchi katana before he released it for the first time. So, either:
    1/ Zanpakuto's that are constant release types - i.e. Ichigo's/Kenpachi's do not look like regular katanas before being released for the first time
    2/ Ichigo had his Zanpakuto before Rukia gave him her powers - fits with him being given an 'Asauchi' earlier in his life unknowingly - thus it had time to change shape as it adapted to his soul.
    3/ Urahara made an Asauchi type, that looks different, and gave it to Ichigo earlier.
    4/ Giving someone else your power does something weird to the Asauchi/makes a new type/look different?
    5/ Ichigo doesn't have an Asauchi (different from 3 in that Urahara wouldn't have made whatever it is).

I still like the idea of number 3
    My idea is more like number 4 -- Ichigo received Rukia's asauchi, and her zanpakuto moved to a different blade.

Or it was just Urahara and maybe Isshin's doing as well, given that Urahara has been in the King's Realm he might've learned to make an Asauchi as he's obviously learned some things from there already.
    Last edited by Notak; January 21, 2013 at 09:57 AM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member tret16's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually like the idea of ichigo inherating zangetsu from Isshin... i mean they are both so similar that there blood relation also relates too there souls. Ichigo's sould resembles his fathers which would explain why they have the same techniques... i mean so far as we know, they are the only ones able to use an ability that goes beyond bankai. so you can kinda say that Zangetsu is also Engestu's son. And we don't know how zanpaketou and asauchi are effective when it comes to shinigami that are born and not just brought too SS through death.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

What about Ginjo then?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Urahara Kisuke made it for Ichigo (before he met Rukia obviously)?
    Urahara has already been shown to try and copy the Royal guards special techniques:
    Giraffe's magic healing pool
    Cook's de novo souls
    Why not also pimp's de novo zanpakuto's?
    Maybe even the Hougyoku was a copy of something the royal guards (or even the soul king?!?) did - a technique to boost a soul past what it should normally be able to do...
    i have been thinking this all along - specifically the hogyouku being a copy of something dealing with the soul king (or maybe one of the other palaces?) the eyes of the sk are a dead giveaway - they are aizen's transcendental eyes.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zan2pacto View Post
    i have been thinking this all along - specifically the hogyouku being a copy of something dealing with the soul king (or maybe one of the other palaces?) the eyes of the sk are a dead giveaway - they are aizen's transcendental eyes.
    Unlikely prediction for this week:
    What if Urahara made the Hougyoku first, the king saw the potential it had and asked Urahara for a copy...
    What if the reason his eyes look like transcendental Aizen's is that the king did as Aizen did with Urahara's first Hougyoku?
    As I said, unlikely... but it certainly would be an unexpected twist...

One problem with the Hougyoku being based on the Soul king (or my silly idea above) is that it is the pinnacle of Urahara's inventions - and, so far, is not stated to be a copy/based on the ideas/concepts of anyone else...
    Infinite RAGE!

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

For me it's not a question of where he got it, it's where did Rukia get her replacement

When she plunged her Zan into Ichigo to transfer her powers to him, her Zan was consumed in the transformation and her impressed on the asauchi thing was erased and replaced by Ichigo's. (Even after Byakuya cuts the blade in half, he pulls the same sword (rukia's) from the Box to reclaim his own powers). Urahara does not completely cut it all away either, it's cut down to the handle, so all along Ichigo is always using the same original Zan, ie the one he took from Rukia.

In the opening scene you do not see her Zan again and won't do till after she gets her powers back after the SS Arc.

Now did she get another Asauchi to replace her consumed one?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member devstauk's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the idea of the Asaurchi goes something like "taking up the sword, to fall by the sword" so basically a "being" is formed but 1st you have to form a bond with said "being" which in turn will do its best to "protect" the person holding the sword.

But what makes ichigo different is he was forced into remembering his heritage or his soul was forced into it.
    Spoiler show

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2