Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bastard!! by Hagiwara Kazushi

誰も知らない 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Bastard!! by Hagiwara Kazushi

This forum doesn't have one of these threads, and it sorely needs it.

Bastard!! and it's various parts, (Dark God of Chaos, Defenders of Earth, etc), is a manga drawn and written by Kazushi Hagiwara that started off as a shounen manga, and quickly became seinen as the storyline progressed. Rape, gore, and pretty fun dark'ish comedy are all encompassed in this series, along with a decent parody of shounen manga. Hagiwara's lack of keeping a straight storyline, or at least, keeping everything in at least some semblance of perspective, greatly adds to the wacky nature of Bastard!! Most people wouldn't really consider Bastard!! wacky, but that's how I see it.

Title: Bastard!! (バスタード!!)
    Authored by HAGIWARA Kazushi
    Serialized in Weekly Shōnen Jump (1988-1989, 1992-1996 and 1997-2000), Ultra Jump (since 2001)
    Genre: Seinen, Action, Adventure, Comedy, Ecchi, Fantasy
    Japanese Release: 24 Volumes (ongoing)
    Licensed by: VIZ
    Scanlations: ongoing
    Age Ranking: Mature

Summary taken from VIZ:
    In a postapocalyptic world of heavy metal fantasy, the only thing able to save humans from orcs, lizard men, and other monsters is something even MORE evil. Sealed within a 14-year-old boy, the chaotic wizard Dark Schneider is unleashed to fight four mighty generals and their plot to resurrect the evil god Anslasax!

Note:
    A OVA of 6 Episodes was released in 1992 (though, it's incomplete for some reason >.>). Also the awesome looking Beta of a MMORPG called BASTARD!! ONLINE was started at the end of 2006. Check it out!

Ressources: Mangaupdates, Wikipedia, ANN

| |
    Note by eni: I really had a hard time to choose three non-spoilerish but expressive AND kid-friendly pics - but believe me, you haven't seen half of the fun with these >.>

Scanlations:
    Chapter 000-007 (Vol 01) by Manga Project (2001)
    Chapter 008-009 (Vol 02) by Manga Project (2001)
    Chapter 010-056 (Vol 02-06) by Kindan no Aku (2006-2007)
    Chapter 001-ongoing (Vol 01+) by Dead Sea Scans (2007+)

Downloads:
    #lurk (IRC)
    #KnA (IRC; Scanlation Group = most recent releases!)
    Evil Empire (Freehosts)
    Stoptazmo (DDL)
    MangaDownload (DDL)
    Note: There's a pdf scan of the German books up till volume 23 flooding around the net. The links go on and off, so no way to give a source for this.

RAWs:
    Databook (RAW)

Purchase:
    English Release by VIZ (v1-v14)
    German Release by Carlsen (v1-23)
    French Release by Glénat (v1-23 plus Databook)
    Italian Release by Panini (V1-24, Deluxe Version 1-23)

Anyway, let's start this thing off. Of all the main characters, got any particular favorites? Of course, my favorite is Dark Schneider. I don't see why anyone wouldn't like him, considering he's the awesome main character.

*hijacks* ~eni
    Added Pictures and more scanlation infos. Also updated the offical release infos

As for the manga itself, I highly recommed it to everyone who loves dark fantasy storys packed together with lots of action, gore, naked skin and hilarous comedy. The protagonist is well aware of the fact that he his the good looking and uber-strong hero of this manga and permanently breaks the fourth wall to let it everyone know

//eni
    Last edited by eni; August 09, 2008 at 04:31 PM.
    尊皇攘夷
    Ask Zindryr Stuff
    MANga of Taste - Zindryr's Manga Review Blog - last update 07/29/08
    Looking for a professional freelance or permanent position as a JP->EN translator. If you are looking for one, or know a company that is, then please send me an e-mail or PM here.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Luckas's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bastard!! Manga Discussion Thread

Who couldn't love Dark Schneider?
    If volume 24 was released this July, I don't want to imagine, how much time will pass before releasing in Italy.
    Did you read all volumes of Bastard?
    Spoiler show

Unconsciousness is my destiny, my joy but also my desperation.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I have indeed read all of the volumes. I've mostly read 1-22 a bunch of times as that's all I have in the actual volumes sitting on my bookshelf, but I've read 23 and 24 a couple of times now.

24 shouldn't take too long for you guys though, you're all caught up for the most part. I bet a 24 will be available in Italy/France by the end of the year.
    尊皇攘夷
    Ask Zindryr Stuff
    Looking for a professional freelance or permanent position as a JP->EN translator. If you are looking for one, or know a company that is, then please send me an e-mail or PM here.

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zindryr
    I have indeed read all of the volumes. I've mostly read 1-22 a bunch of times as that's all I have in the actual volumes sitting on my bookshelf, but I've read 23 and 24 a couple of times now.

24 shouldn't take too long for you guys though, you're all caught up for the most part. I bet a 24 will be available in Italy/France by the end of the year.
    I hope you are right.
    I edited my previous post with a spoiler. I have 23 volumes, but for the moment I stopped reading.
    Spoiler show

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show

Updating the first post with v23 and v24 RAWs.
    尊皇攘夷
    Ask Zindryr Stuff

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show

Updating the first post with v23 and v24 RAWs.
    Thanks for the Raws, I'll dl them now.[br]Posted on: August 16, 2006, 04:14:39 PM_________________________________________________I really like the character of Yoko, it's so disappointing what happened her.
    This discussion remembered me that Bastard!! was my second manga, in Italy there 3 different editions of it, do you know how much it is famous in Japan and around the world?
    My first manga was "White Dragon", I really liked it, but I don't think it is well known.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Three different editions? You mean three different translations of Bastard!! that are available for purchase? That's awesome.

It's decently popular in Japan. It's not huge but it does have a decent fanbase. I know that French people seem to like it too.

However, I don't think it is very popular here in America where I am. None of the manga nerds ever really mention it.
    尊皇攘夷
    Ask Zindryr Stuff

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Three different editions? You mean three different translations of Bastard!! that are available for purchase? That's awesome.
    Not exactly, two different translations, one more litteral than the second, maybe.
    The first company which published "Bastard!!" in Italy failed, then another got the rights and restarted from the beginning with a translation which should be more litteral, then this company republished "Bastard!!" in a sort of deluxe edition.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I know Viz (who is doing the English versions) went back and did some second edition releases for about five of the earlier volumes of Bastard!!, so it's almost the same thing. In any case, I think it would be cool if some groups started to scanlate Bastard!! into English, it's a great manga. At least the later volumes anyway since there is already an English version being put out by Viz. Though Viz could probably catch up to the most recent volume before Hagiwara puts out another one.
    尊皇攘夷
    Ask Zindryr Stuff

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I know Viz (who is doing the English versions) went back and did some second edition releases for about five of the earlier volumes of Bastard!!, so it's almost the same thing. In any case, I think it would be cool if some groups started to scanlate Bastard!! into English, it's a great manga. At least the later volumes anyway since there is already an English version being put out by Viz. Though Viz could probably catch up to the most recent volume before Hagiwara puts out another one.
    In #lurk there is something scanlated, I don't remember precisely.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Just checked, Lurk doesn't seem to have the RAWs for the first 22 volumes, but they do have volumes 1 and 2 scanlated it seems. So, go grab them and read people.

Also feel that I should mention I managed to find a copy of the Bastard!! Databook. RAW form of course, but it does have a lot of information and pictures and things in it.
    尊皇攘夷
    Ask Zindryr Stuff

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Just checked, Lurk doesn't seem to have the RAWs for the first 22 volumes, but they do have volumes 1 and 2 scanlated it seems. So, go grab them and read people.

Also feel that I should mention I managed to find a copy of the Bastard!! Databook. RAW form of course, but it does have a lot of information and pictures and things in it.
    Where did you find the databook? I'm very interested.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I found it on Japanese P2P programs, where I locate just about everything. I'll upload it somewhere today or tomorrow.
    尊皇攘夷
    Ask Zindryr Stuff

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

I found it on Japanese P2P programs, where I locate just about everything. I'll upload it somewhere today or tomorrow.
    Thanks, maybe someday I'll try this Japanese P2P programs I heard about.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I added the RAW for the Databook to the first post with the other two volumes. I don't think the databook will ever be translated considering Bastard!! doesn't have the fanbase Naruto and the like do.
    尊皇攘夷
    Ask Zindryr Stuff

New Reply
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast