Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The SFX Thread!

Banned 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Discussion: The SFX Thread!

This website gave me some SFXs which helped me in my translations.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The SFX Thread!

I'm just wondering what these SFX should sound like in English:

1. A flying spacecraft.
    2. A piece of paper being grabbed.
    3. Fire burning.
    4. Windy weather.
    5. A hard object crashing.
    6. Falling rocks.
    7. A working engine.
    8. A gigantic falling object.
    9. Sound when changing a vehicle's gear.
    10. Falling body sound.
    11. Bone cracking.
    12. Something being grabbed quickly.
    13. An automatic door opens.
    14. Shattering glass.
    15. A large object being crushed.

Thanks.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Aarowaim's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a few that come to my mind, please note that background effects (sound efects that are a continuous tone) aren't commonly made into phonetic sound effects, verbs are commonly used in these cases, e.g, rumble rumble rumble (earthquake, rockslide, etc)

Spoiler show

As you may have noticed, a lot of these are either made up, or are very generic onomatopoeia (sound effect words). This is because onomatopoeia convey a specific sound, not a specific event.

I am assuming that you are translating a manga, so I would recommend translating it into romaji and leaving a Translator's note saying that romaji and what it represents. e.g, ポン ポン = pon, pon (tear drops). A lot of scanlators seem to do it, so it seems to be the most common way of conveying it to english readers. for verbs that are sound effects, such as ワクワク, translate it into the verb it represents. In that case, it is 沸く, which means to get excited/to boil. In the previous example, I would recommend "tremble" or "shiver", because they are both verbs that are in present tense that are commonly associated with getting excited.

I personally would recommend that you modify the art as little as possible except to restore quality, as I enjoy reading the sound effects in kana format and imagining them. That is why I recommend a footnote, or translator's note that says the transcribed sound effect (if it's not a verb), so that english readers can enjoy the same luxury.

P.S.
    For phonetic sound effects, I would leave a translators note saying for example, "fuan fuan fuan (sirens)" or "poro poro (sound of tear drops falling)"
    Last edited by Aarowaim; November 05, 2011 at 01:35 PM.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aarowaim View Post
    I am assuming that you are translating a manga, so I would recommend translating it into romaji and leaving a Translator's note saying that romaji and what it represents. e.g, ポン ポン = pon, pon (tear drops). A lot of scanlators seem to do it, so it seems to be the most common way of conveying it to english readers. for verbs that are sound effects, such as ワクワク, translate it into the verb it represents. In that case, it is 沸く, which means to get excited/to boil. In the previous example, I would recommend "tremble" or "shiver", because they are both verbs that are in present tense that are commonly associated with getting excited.
    Do you perhaps mean ポロポロ(poro-poro) instead of ポンポン(pon-pon)? Pon-pon is not a typical sfx for tear drops. There is a different approach to explain ワクワク(waku-waku, being excited) here if you would like to read in Japanese.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Aarowaim's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, thank you. Apparently, at the time I wrote that I couldn't recall exactly what the sound effect was. In terms of the article you gave me, I'll do my best to read through it (I'm starting to understand basic sentences without a dictionary) and if necessary, I will correct myself.

And yes, I suppose that was a hastily chosen example, given that I now have an article to read as homework. Not that I really mind because it will give me practice as well as make me more aware of the opinions of native Japanese speakers. As I am quite fluent in English, I would expect them to be fluent in Japanese.

Thanks ^^

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aarowaim View Post

I personally would recommend that you modify the art as little as possible except to restore quality, as I enjoy reading the sound effects in kana format and imagining them. That is why I recommend a footnote, or translator's note that says the transcribed sound effect (if it's not a verb), so that english readers can enjoy the same luxury.

P.S.
    For phonetic sound effects, I would leave a translators note saying for example, "fuan fuan fuan (sirens)" or "poro poro (sound of tear drops falling)"
    Wow, thanks a lot...

The truth is, I'm in the middle of translating a Indonesian language manga and I'm never have any kind of experience in English SFX instead of "Kapoow!" of course.. LoL... So it would be impossible for me to provide the romaji as the one I'm translated is already in Indonesian..

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Ana Clara's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the japanese sound. If the original sound doesn't make sense, I just make a note

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2