Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)

View Poll Results: Chances of Naruto and Sasuke reuniting before the current battle ends?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Likely

8 17.39%
  • 50/50

11 23.91%
  • Unlikely

27 58.70%
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 616 Dance of the Ninjas

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 616 Dance of the Ninjas

"It was more than enough."
    Shikamaru Nara

Oh, man, has it been a long break. Nigh on a month without my shonen fix. Well, everything's back on schedule and Naruto with one hell of a chapter...

Naruto 616 Dance of the Ninjas
    The images in this review are credited to Mangastream.

You can tell it's going to be a great chapter when we check in on the long missing Sasuke, Orochimaru, and company as they make their way...somewhere...and make their way speedily because Sasuke's a bit annoyed that Naruto's latest power-up is producing such overwhelming chakra. Is this antagonism? Is he searching for a power-up of his own? Or is he just eager to finish he journey so he can join the party before it ends?

Back with our heroes, Naruto's become the Oprah of chakra handouts, converting Kurama's chakra and transferring it to Hinata, Choji, Ino, and Shikamaru. And he's still got energy enough for some tailed-beast shadow clones, whom he sends out to give chakra to pretty much everyone.

Madara and Obito seem to be actually impressed and more than a little worried about this, and rightly so. Hinata and Choji are having no problem keeping the Juubi busy now, which gives Ino and Shikamaru time enough to execute Shukaku's last plan: a superpowered Ino-Shika-Cho that successfully stops the Juubi in it's tracks.

It might be a predictable strategy, as Madara notes belatedly, but it works. And Obito's already lost the ideological game. Both Naruto and Kakashi have come to terms with the burdens they bear, and they bear them proudly so long as they can protect their comrades in the future and learn from their past failures. The chapter ends with the first part of the strategy successful, but what will Naruto do with the Juubi now that it's where he wants it?

Besides a brightly colored, Shonen Jump cover, Kishimoto delivered a solidly illustrated chapter in which he got to show us much we've not seen before. Everybody in 616 is sporting Kyuubi-chakra shrouds, which makes for an interesting effect, and the actions as clear as it's ever been.

But my favorite image is perhaps Lee breaking down at Neji's death. This is a character we rarely see lose it, and he looks appropriately devastated cradling his comrades lifeless body.

Well that was something. We had action and some smart strategy. We had great art and dialogue. Actual worry from our antagonists. And an overriding sense that the series is barrelling towards a climax. But the standout section of the chapter is the emotional goodbyes from Ino and Shikamaru's dads which we see here in flashback. Shikaku gets a comic beat from the grave, but it's mostly serious stuff with parents telling their children how much they've meant to them and children assurign their parents that they felt loved and loved them in return.

And to top it all off, we got to check in with one of my favorite characters, Orochimaru. All in all, this was a great chapter to return with, so I'm giving Naruto 616 a...

5* out of 5

*The high grade might just be because I’m happy to have the series back.
    Predictions

I still think Obito's going to go all jinchuriki and I think he'll be forced to do so once Shukaku's plan is executed. I expect this final power-up to be overwhelming until the Kage show up to lend a hand and I'm on the fence as to whether Sasuke will show up as a final antagonists or jump into the fight beforehand.

Serious Time

Well, it's almost been two years exactly since I started reviewing this series. I don't want to get sentimental and I'll save that for next week when I can collect my thoughts a bit, but this has been a fun journey. I don't know what exactly I was expecting when I started. I think I just wanted to indulge my geeky nature and share my thoughts about a series I was passionate about even when critically it was held in both good and poor regard.

And it's been a fantastic run. You lot who have read and commented have really done more than you know in showing me perspectives I hadn't considered. There's been plenty of great discussion and though I haven't commented or responded to every response, I've probably read all or most comments.

I've got some thoughts on this past year of Naruto, but until I get them as articulate as I want, know that I've appreciated all the discussion. From the Obito reveal to the thoughts regarding Kabuto as a villain, you've all been great. But one thing I haven't had much of is feedback on the reviews. What works. What you want to see more of. What matters most.

When I began, there were a good three or four reviews per week showing different views on each chapter, but that sadly petered out and I'm here alone. I try to make clear what I love and question about this series, but I understand my views aren't always shared. And since the amount of reviews here have dwindled (though the discussion threads are always strong), I want to make sure that you're interests are addressed. So have at it in the comments. More recaps? More theory? More art? More on the technical limitations/strengths of the plotting? Comparing fan expectations to authorial intent? Let me know what you want to see more of in the new year.

Until then, I'm heading to Disneyland, so I'll catch you later.

One Line Reviews
    • The crewmates who haven't had much chance to shine took center stage in One Piece 695. Nami, Franky, and Usopp utilized their abilities to the fullest in helping retrieve Ceasar, but the Strawhat's fight isn't over. A new challenger appears by chapter's end.
    • Bleach 523 goes big, very big. It gives us a mob of angry and nameless zanpakuto, small bits of shinigami/Gotei 13 lore, a throwdown between Kenpachis, and best of all: Unohana delivering some grade A death stare.
    • The Devil of the Right Arm arc in Tower of God S02 Ch44-47 is shaping up to be quite the intriguing event, veering in a direction I didn't expect. Someone's playing a larger game than our heroes and using Teddy's tank-brother as bait, and the question remains who. Gongbang? FUG? Headon? Whatever the case, I can't wait to find out.
    • All my regularly followed series were great this week, so picking a best is hard. Naruto comes as a runner up, but I'm gonna give Pick of the Week to Bleach which was, for my money, the most exciting chapter of the Big 3.

2. Thanks 11 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 616 Dance of the Ninjas

thanks black! I disagree with the mark but it can be accepted because of the wellness of this chapter,compared to the awful previous ones.
    btw,it looks like you didn't notice where Hawk is right now,as you didn't mention it : they are in the Leaf! so the 2 who know the truth are there!

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member kakashidad's Avatar
    Country
    England
    Post Thanks / Like

Has it been two years already...damn i remember you joining,lol.Nice review as aways abit short in comparsion to some
    of your others.It must have something to do with your travel plans,lol.

Anyways,i don't see Sasuke joining forces with Naruto anytime soon.Naruto will have to break that fool down.And i'm
    hoping he does so as soon as he's taken care of buisness with Obito.I think your right in saying that the remaining
    kages will offer some assistant although i don't know what that might be.They were comprehensly destroyed by Edo
    Madara.Maybe to give a lift to their respective clans?

Sasuke and his band are in or near the hidden leaf.You can see the graved faces in the mountains.I have a feeling
    as a prediction that konoharmaru is going to enter the story again as in attemping to do something heroic.And as a
    result The advisor will have to show some mettle and come out of hiding.And as a result,Orochimaru will present them
    to sasuke as the persons of interest.

Sasuke is pissed as hell with sensing Naruto chakra imo.And no amount of power up will help him,They may both die
    in the ensuing conflict between them,But so long as he croaks first i'm happy,lol.

The chapter was good 6 out of 6 maybe too high and the delay as you say could have an element in the score reflected.
    But hey,i'm not complaining.lol.Have a good trip if i'm not banned i'll read you when you get back.lmao.

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

I vote 50% but I guess they will appear at the battlefield,yet,they won't fight,that's my theory.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the way you started your review with a general analysis of the chapter rather than the usually boring snapshot of a portion of the work. However, you start to drown when you stated that the SA will need a hand from the Kages to go against your predicted power-up of the Obito's sides. Honestly, I think you ignore that the Kages couldn't even lay a hand on Uchiha Madara alone. If you go back and see how Madara toyed with them, you would have noticed that they are now irrelevant to the battle unless they are also powered up by Naruto's chakra.

In fact, I think the whole alliance can only be a support to Naruto in this fight. They will be maybe useful to separate Madara and Obito from Juubi, but can they really fight any of them? Can they fight a seriously angry Madara?

Besides, I think the fight has been dragged for too long, and it would be kind of conter-intuitive to go through another beating of the SA due to power up of the Juubi. My opinion is that Ino-Shik_cho combo will stop Juubi from transforming again until Madara is defeated - Obito is not a problem since he is controlled by Ino.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member EMS's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Good review but I'm surprised that you gave this chapter a 5 out 5, it was a good start with sasuke and orochimaru but it went down the hill afterwards, kurama chakra start to be cheap as hashirama's cell..
    living in the darkness and now with a new light, i will raise to a new beginning...

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy your reviews a lot. Im looking forward to them every week.
    If there was something i would want more of, then it would be more in depth theory. Im a guy who enjoys reading long wiki articles about everything, but i can understand if others wouldnt want that. Besides, i dont know how useful a more scientific approach to this manga would be, considering that kishi is inconsistent with a lot of things. Or maybe you could base it around that. Do some research in what has been shown / stated by kishi and where and why exactly he is contradicting himself regarding the reviewed chapter. Although that would mean a lot of more work probably...

Whatever you do, continue your reviews! Oh and i like your "predictions" section a lot too

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner MrSteel's Avatar
    Country
    Jamaica
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs Up Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 616 Dance of the Ninjas

Quote Originally Posted by l!nk View Post
    If there was something i would want more of, then it would be more in depth theory. Im a guy who enjoys reading long wiki articles about everything, but i can understand if others wouldnt want that. Besides, i dont know how useful a more scientific approach to this manga would be, considering that kishi is inconsistent with a lot of things. Or maybe you could base it around that. Do some research in what has been shown / stated by kishi and where and why exactly he is contradicting himself regarding the reviewed chapter. Although that would mean a lot of more work probably...

Whatever you do, continue your reviews! Oh and i like your "predictions" section a lot too
    what he said
    Last edited by MrSteel; January 21, 2013 at 11:42 AM.

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Btw guys,it's quite a fact now who those 2 are, they are of course the old homura and koharu,the 2elders of the leaf. Now I'm maybe more interested in them than I am in this boring fight..

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner MrSteel's Avatar
    Country
    Jamaica
    Post Thanks / Like

Question of interest is will sasuke kill them after he gets his info out of them

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

I hope we get a proper rematch between orochimaru and sasuke because lets face it sasuke only defeated orochimaru because he was sick plus it would be nice for sasuke to get some good battle experience/test his eyes on a powerful opponent like orochimaru

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont like the fct that naruto share all his powers with others.
    now everybody will defeat tha badasses
    but anywhy, the failed 2 months ago.
    strange
    he did it again

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrSteel View Post
    Question of interest is will sasuke kill them after he gets his info out of them

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

I hope we get a proper rematch between orochimaru and sasuke because lets face it sasuke only defeated orochimaru because he was sick plus it would be nice for sasuke to get some good battle experience/test his eyes on a powerful opponent like orochimaru
    everyone was expecting naruto going sennin mode + kurama power instead of naruto milking kurama's chakra and sharing kurama's chakra with all his friends and making a mini army of kyuubi cloak allies that can performed their jutsus and become stronger....i mean even we expected to see the power that the bijuus gave naruto than this cheap power than everyone is getting..

Quote Originally Posted by bleachmaster View Post
    i dont like the fct that naruto share all his powers with others.
    now everybody will defeat tha badasses
    but anywhy, the failed 2 months ago.
    strange
    he did it again

i hope he killed them all because danzou and them, were a big reason why this whole massacred and itachi becoming a villain and sasuke mentally breaking down and trying to killed his brother itachi because the elders forced itachi to pulled off a massacred that he didn't wanted to do but he didn't got so much choice.
    Last edited by EMS; January 22, 2013 at 03:15 AM.
    living in the darkness and now with a new light, i will raise to a new beginning...

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member BL-Tomoe's Avatar
    Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by l!nk View Post
    If there was something i would want more of, then it would be more in depth theory..

Oh and i like your "predictions" section a lot too
    /sign

Actually for me its harder to wait for your Review than for the actual chapter...

GOT MILLKKK? 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member 3c's Avatar
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

You kind of scared me with your "Serious Time" section, blackjack. For a second I thought you were putting reviewing on the shelf.

If you had we would have possibly had to endure benelori's terrible rants

I have a few things to say regarding your Serious Time:
    1. Your reviews are for the most part excellent. While I might not agree with some of your thoughts from week to week, it's always an enjoyable read nonetheless. Which brings me to my next point...
    2. ...You have become so slow at farting them out! But this point is only intended as a joke as I know you have things to do most likely.
    3. The only thing I really miss sometimes is an analysis of the whole chapter. Sometimes major happenings go unmentioned, or not properly explored. I'm not sure if you overlook them or intentionally skip the parts due to lacking real constructive thoughts around the matters. If it's the former it's regrettable. For example this week I felt like Sasuke's ONE page was far more interesting than the rest of the chapter. The fact that we saw his destination (Konoha) opens up several questions regarding "the one who knows everything".

Keep going!
    Don't. Be. A. Steph.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I agreed with 3c, before you explained more the chapters and you brought up interesting questions and theories but now it short the chapters so much, i don't know how busy you're lately, this might be the reason of why you short the chapters..
    bring back all those questions and theories that you came up with all the time..
    The best of the chapter 616 was the first page(sasuke, orochimaru and taka), and sasuke being in konoha bring alot questions..
    Last edited by EMS; January 22, 2013 at 09:15 AM.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast