Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply

Thread: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Space Battleship Yamato 2199
    Genre: Sci-fi
    Producer: AIC
    Director: Izubuchi Yutaka
    Original Creator: Matsumoto_Leiji and Nishizaki Yoshinobu
    Character Design: Yuuki Nobuteru
    Episodes: 26

The year is 2199. The once blue and green planet Earth has been reduced to a radioactive desert wasteland by constant attacks from a hostile aliens from the planet Gamilas which force the remaining population underground. However, a friendly alien race from the planet Iscandar contacts the humans and gives them the blueprints to build a powerful space battleship capable of retrieving a device to clean the planet before humanity disappears. The name of the ship: Space Battleship Yamato.

2012 OVA remake of the classic 1974 anime space opera.
    Last edited by Kaiten; January 21, 2013 at 05:26 PM.

Uchuujin 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

I only need to watch one more episode until I've catched up with the current release and I already know I can't wait for the next episodes to be released I've never watched the old Yamato but it's such a classic I thought I had to at least try the remake. I was a bit sceptical at first. The art and animation was (and is) stunning but the story didn't really capture me at first. I've started to love it more and more though, as the story progressed. The cast, even if cliche at times, is remarkable and the show is really making you empathize with most of them.

Kodai or Okita were so bland and cliche to me at the beginning but while they obviously have some generic traits they're more multi-layered than you think at first. They might not be the most special characters but together they form a very likeable cast I can easily sympathize with. Dessler makes a great villain too, I loved how the Gamilas aren't just the unknown bad foe but get quite a lot of focus.

I read a review of someone who watched both the original and the first ten episodes because I was curious about the differences and from the sound of it, it seems to be a vast improvement compared to the old show. Not just art-wise but plot and character-wise too, f.ex. establishing the Secondary Grade Gamilas.
    For anyone interested, the review can be found here: http://galacticpillow.com/2013/04/19...des-1-10-2012/
    I can only recommend it to both people who watched the original and others who didn't watch the old classic. Definitely one of the best sci-fi series I've seen. The series is not finished yet (14 of 26 episodes) but I have faith that they will be able to maintain that level of quality.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yamato is such a seminal show that it actually established a lot of what we now consider sci-fi/mecha cliches. I love how the characters are forced to make difficult decisions, without the promise of positive results. Kodai develops into such a great character over the course of volume four. Captain Okito has been epic throughout the series.

The next volume comes out on May 28. I can't wait for more episodes.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Yamato is such a seminal show that it actually established a lot of what we now consider sci-fi/mecha cliches. I love how the characters are forced to make difficult decisions, without the promise of positive results. Kodai develops into such a great character over the course of volume four. Captain Okito has been epic throughout the series.

The next volume comes out on May 28. I can't wait for more episodes.
    Well I'm sure that it was completely new back when the original series was published. When I said cliche I didn't mean bad, even cliche characters can be really well done and likeable. At the start I felt like they might just be your average cliche characters but I was proven wrong as the story progressed. Pretty much all the characters are well-done and I really like that they've added great females with interesting backgrounds to the story, like Mori. I read that back then she was the only female and more of a damsel in distress, she didn't have the background related to Starsha either.
    On another note I really loved the episode focused on Analyzer too, as overused as the theme may be nowadays.

I'm actually surprised that a studio like Xebec managed to make such a great remake, really looking forward to the next episodes.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Episodes 15 and 16 were spectacular, 16 in particular was among the best in the series. A good example of the remakes updated science. In 1974 extrasolar planets were science fiction, in 2013 there are hundreds of candidates. Earth like worlds orbiting distant stars have already been discovered. I wonder what the fall out from this episode will be, how will they deal with Ito and Niimi. I can't wait for episods 17 and 18 to be subbed.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Indeed, excellent episodes. So the mystery around Yuki was finally revealed, looks like I was wrong with assuming that she's an Iscandarian. Not that I dislike it though, she's a great character on her own. Or maybe we're fooled again, who knows.

The battle against Domel was spectacular, I really like that they're not portraying the Yamato as some invincible ship but rather were saved by some inner Gamilas conflict. Desler not being dead was pretty obvious but the revelation was really well-done and shows that he's a damn good tactician, after all he did it to find possible usurpers.

Just watched the promo for the next film too, looks so damn awesome

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

Just noticed that Yuki is with Desler at the end

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [Featured] Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Episode 19 is out! It might be a few days before I can watch, I have a backlog of new episodes to get through this weekend.

New Reply