Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Gantz 377 Discussion/378 Prediction Thread

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Tenacious Weezy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gantz 377 Spoiler Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    What a compelling rebuttal. I've completely changed my mind. /rolleyes
    Spoiler show

Would you call The Matrix A love story? or Terminator 2 a Drama? A story can have more than one element and still fall under a category.

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious Weezy View Post
    Spoiler show

Would you call The Matrix A love story? or Terminator 2 a Drama? A story can have more than one element and still fall under a category.
    That's not the point. It is a seinen and will always be a seinen as long as it's published in a seinen magazine. What the people here are trying to say is that the content used to be for adults, while now it seems rather shonen-esque.
    Using your examples: Let's say you watch Terminator 2, an action movie and towards the fourth quarter of the movie they would start contemplating about life and have serious character development accompanied by tragic deaths and problems that make you feel depressed. You'd be like "The fuck is this movie? I didn't want no drama, I wanted ACTION just like in the rest of the movie." Guess that's how many feel here.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show

It isn't about the elements, it is about the tone:
    Violence in a wrapper of a desperate struggle to survive is adult.
    Violence in a wrapper of lets collect points to revive our friends while working together as a team is not, especially when you take away the threat of death to main characters.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

For those wondering, Gantz DEFINITELY turned into a shounen manga! I still sigh when I remember the first part of the manga. Every action felt so heavy, deliberate. It made the manga amazing. I agree very much so with the poster that said the manga used to feel more relatable. Beyond the examples of motivation he gave, one could even look at the aesthetic of new teams.

In the early missions each team had a fantastic distribution of characters. Mixed in with the good were those with ugly faces or ugly souls. It was a ton of fun to see how each character developed in the team, too. Sometimes the nasty thug became an indispensable member simply because of his toughness. And that granny that typically survives *somehow*? Deader than a door nail. As for the latest chapters... well... have you looked at the new teams?

SUPERMODELS

All of them. I was so disappointed to see Gantz fall to the "sexy, lithe, handsome guy is the strongest" trope. If all the previous missions were basically natural selection by Gantz to pick the strongest members to deal with the threat of Katastrophe, why the heck did it all the hyper-capable guys and girls it picked just happen to be super sexy? In my mind this is a huge indicator of the direction Oku started pushing Gantz in.

6. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't really know what the specific differences are between shounen/seinen or what, but yes the aesthetics have definitely undergone some changes and the tone of the series has undergone a whole bloody transformation. Facial reconstruction. Hormone replacement therapy. Genital reassignment (foreskin peeled back into labia, baby!). The works.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member 102jayday's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't read into the discussion of seinen.
    But lol it's obvious kei will live because of the trolls on the internet cheering for him to die.
    I hope when Kei (oku) defeats him he pulls a troll face to everyone.

Manga Berserk, Gantz, Rurouni Kenshin, Claymore<3 Fav Anime FMAB! Gundam seed, Nana, InitialD.

10. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Gantzter127's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Red phase=pure seinen
    Blue phase=cooled down but still seinen
    Black phase=seinen
    Last phase=still seinen
    Seinen/josei is aimed at a older adult audience, shounen/shoujo is aimed at younger audiences.

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

This series is full of sex, rape and extreme violence. I don't think its aimed at a younger audience. Yeah its cooled down after the red phase but it's still seinen.
    But this isn't the place to whine about it; looking forward to the next chapter I hope Kei gives him hell. But I see him losing an arm or two. Or maybe... just maybe Kei kills him and then he bleeds to death sending Tae in to crazy mode and killing all with her plot Armour... yupp I can see it.
    Last edited by Gantzter127; February 14, 2013 at 05:34 AM.

Yokota Takuma, Tsutomu Nihei and Asano Inio. <3

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member 102jayday's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

If Oku kills off Kei I will be sad but I will take my hat off for him lol.

Manga Berserk, Gantz, Rurouni Kenshin, Claymore<3 Fav Anime FMAB! Gundam seed, Nana, InitialD.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Tenacious Weezy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gantzter127 View Post
    Red phase=pure seinen
    Blue phase=cooled down but still seinen
    Black phase=seinen
    Last phase=still seinen
    Seinen/josei is aimed at a older adult audience, shounen/shoujo is aimed at younger audiences.

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

This series is full of sex, rape and extreme violence. I don't think its aimed at a younger audience. Yeah its cooled down after the red phase but it's still seinen.
    But this isn't the place to whine about it; looking forward to the next chapter I hope Kei gives him hell. But I see him losing an arm or two. Or maybe... just maybe Kei kills him and then he bleeds to death sending Tae in to crazy mode and killing all with her plot Armour... yupp I can see it.
    I agree this isn't the place but it's funny to see people turn on it because of small tweaks here and there. Their probably was a push to tone it down for the mainstream after the movies came out now that I think about it. Might explain why Oku isn't giving it his all (artistically) as much as he used to.

Anyways I think Kei will kill him but I was always thinking that the clone Kei would fight him first and be killed and then real Kei would take him out. I guess the only difference being that the Real Kei has Tae as motivation.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Masterpice's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Kurono usually does something stupid to survive and win so his movement defy logic too IMO....they suit eachother and Kurono didn't really do anything for the world in this arc cause he was always like "Tae-chan" and shit so I guess it is his time to shine...and I think that the strongest people were already sent to earth or are dead if they were fighting in the duels with this big guy...and tokyo team was already sent to earth too if I racall corectly so they shouldn't be able to come back unless Kurono would bring them there. I think that on that ship are only some of the fighters and reporters or whatever.

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

I wonder if they will make Kurono president of the world if he wins :P

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 AM ----------

I agree this isn't the place but it's funny to see people turn on it because of small tweaks here and there. Their probably was a push to tone it down for the mainstream after the movies came out now that I think about it. Might explain why Oku isn't giving it his all (artistically) as much as he used to.

Anyways I think Kei will kill him but I was always thinking that the clone Kei would fight him first and be killed and then real Kei would take him out. I guess the only difference being that the Real Kei has Tae as motivation.
    Maybe he would if he wouldn't die in stupid way.
    Sorry for grammar mistakes.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

^

He didn't die in a stupid way, though it was somewhat unfortunate for the potential KeixTaexReikaxKei storyline.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ruhina's Avatar
    Country
    Antarctica
    Post Thanks / Like

They could at least send Kei a Hard suit to battle it out with a full powered Gonde. It's kind of disappointing to see Gonde die in his underwear.

In comparison, imagine Hitler and Stalin duel it out for the eastern front in a black magic duel, in nothing but white brie-
    Wait... that would be awesome!

18. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member 1337 haxor's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Well...

So Legolas decided to put honor before reason and is gonna suicide bomb Earth, well done Gantz!

At least we finally have a damn reason for Kurono to fight besides Tae and it's hopefully shaping up to be an awesome 1X1 between Kurono and Legolas.

If the manga ends with a nice duel at least it will go on a high note.
    Last edited by 1337 haxor; February 14, 2013 at 02:03 PM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, at least this will be an interesting fight.
    It does sounds like the end of Gantz, or at least of that arc, since we are still waiting on some explanation about the whole Sebastian stuff...

I wonder where the other Kurono is, and if he's going to appear there to fight as well!!

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member EliteBeatAgents's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruhina View Post
    They could at least send Kei a Hard suit to battle it out with a full powered Gonde. It's kind of disappointing to see Gonde die in his underwear.

In comparison, imagine Hitler and Stalin duel it out for the eastern front in a black magic duel, in nothing but white brie-
    Wait... that would be awesome!
    there's already something similar to that, I think Putin and Pope Benedict XVI are in it.

New Reply
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast