Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Togashi Influence

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Kanmuru's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Togashi Influence

This is an image I made years ago for another forum, comparing HxH and Black Cat
    No hate towards black cat, just find it insteresting the influence of togashi in another mangaka

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Togashi Influence

Very interesting. The comparison is definitely blatant. The question is, does it copy Togashi's tendency towards intriguing character psychologies and heterodox storytelling techniques??

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Rezard's Avatar
    Country
    Switzerland
    Post Thanks / Like

Also
    Uvogin is a reference of Brahms in valkyrie profile. the same haircut , insane strenght, same physics , fight with brute force and both character (let's call it uber move) work in the same way (bing bang impact and bloody curse)

Another one that a very fews people know but i'm 100% sure that this is one.
    Kiel D01 in ragnarok online (the korean mmo) is a clear reference to neferpitou.
    - He wear a similar jacked with the same numbers of buttons on it, both are yellow or green
    - Once you beat is first form in is quest , he use a power/doll behind him that does exactly the same things that terpsichora do. Increasing is ability to the maximum.
    - Kiel usualy take controls of humain , either making thems dolls or robot.
    - The kiel update was released during the ant arc in hxh , i don't know how much time , but 2-3 months after.
    Last edited by Rezard; July 07, 2014 at 10:45 PM.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd question Brahms. That look - large, strongman type body with the spiked hair going back - seems common. Blanka from Street Fighter has it as well. Given that physique, having a person like that fight with brute force is a natural extension. And again, the Big Bang Impact/Jajanken type move is common, and again, a natural extension off of a brute force kind of character.

I'm always careful about naming direct influence, unless the character/character design/story is "super-duper so really ultra way unique yo". But Togashi has never had the most unique character designs (only a unique collection). Even with Black Cat (and others like Naruto, or Bleach). Each specific example of "influence" isn't enough in my opinion. I only see those works as obvious influences because of the fact that there are just so many of those examples.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member FFuuu's Avatar
    Country
    Chile
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rezard View Post
    Also
    Uvogin is a reference of Brahms in valkyrie profile. the same haircut , insane strenght, same physics , fight with brute force and both character (let's call it uber move) work in the same way (bing bang impact and bloody curse)

Another one that a very fews people know but i'm 100% sure that this is one.
    Kiel D01 in ragnarok online (the korean mmo) is a clear reference to neferpitou.
    - He wear a similar jacked with the same numbers of buttons on it, both are yellow or green
    - Once you beat is first form in is quest , he use a power/doll behind him that does exactly the same things that terpsichora do. Increasing is ability to the maximum.
    - Kiel usualy take controls of humain , either making thems dolls or robot.
    - The kiel update was released during the ant arc in hxh , i don't know how much time , but 2-3 months after.
    Wow that's amazing I never noticed that... now I gotta go and try killing it.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Rezard's Avatar
    Country
    Switzerland
    Post Thanks / Like

You won't notice that much in game with kiel. But for me he's clearly a reference. (well he's a male humanoid/experimental or whatever) withouth cat ears and a tail... If they did him a cat-girl/boy alike then.... it would be a 100% confirmation.

New Reply