Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Are women in the Naruto world weak?

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity The Boff's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are women in the Naruto world weak? ( part 2 spoilers!! )

Now thats a feminine man.... well then there isnt any kick ass girls in that world except Tsunade.
    As we know of now.

but it would be cool if one of the Akatsuki was a really evil girl. like from the same clan as kimimaro or something (Kaguya?), with a bijuu.

damn that be cool

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Post Thanks / Like

Temari is fine in the scheme of the whole thing. Sort of amusing that the least sexist-ly depicted woman in the series is currently set up in a flirtatious relationship with the most openly sexist character. Hopefully she'll bash some sense into Shikamaru's head.

Tsunade is alright once we get past the ludicrous hemophobia-because-her-boyfriend-died thing (which was only in there because she's a woman; she just had to be reliant on a man *sigh*). The whole "OMG SHE'S GOT MONSTROUS STRENGTH HOW UNLADYLIKE" thing is obnoxious, though.

Tayuya is a bit of a problem, in my opinion. She's strong, yeah, but she's placed in the context of being 'mannish', with her cursing and brashness. Like the 'monstrous strength' thing, it's problematic in terms of gender role constructions.

Kudos for broaching the topic.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your thoughts on that, sejma!

It was interesting to read that because you did speak out what somehow hit me half consciously half unconsciously: that most women in Naruto have a snag in it!
    (dunno if this is the correct English term...XD)
    Quote Originally Posted by sejma
    Tsunade is alright once we get past the ludicrous hemophobia-because-her-boyfriend-died thing (which was only in there because she's a woman; she just had to be reliant on a man *sigh*). The whole "OMG SHE'S GOT MONSTROUS STRENGTH HOW UNLADYLIKE" thing is obnoxious, though.

Tayuya is a bit of a problem, in my opinion. She's strong, yeah, but she's placed in the context of being 'mannish', with her cursing and brashness. Like the 'monstrous strength' thing, it's problematic in terms of gender role constructions.
    This also bugs me so it's good to hear that some of you also have your doubts...
    Even if some of them have good skills (as Anax so finely pointed out) in means of personality most of them show the weak "typically" female image - perhaps a symptom of the Japanese culture? (see Predator_U's post for that...)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member walkie's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont know much about other mangas but if we say weakness of women in naruto world, is a symptom of japanese culture, i think we make a quick decision on this...of course culture has effect on that but arent there any strong womens in other mangas??? at leats at bleach there are some strong ones (sorry i dont remember their names now..)(and i do not know bleach deeply yet?!?)..kishi's way of look to women also has effect on that right??....anyway, i prefer naruto not "that much" men-based

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member donkeyhigh's Avatar
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait to see Hinara in a real fight.. Hinata hinata hinata hiinaaataaaaa *goes to bed dreaming*
    Wait! Stop the fight! I got sand in my eyes..

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Silver_Archer's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Chiyo seems to have been omitted in this discussion so far. Chiyo is a woman and Chiyo is definately a strong character in the Naruto manga, without any 'snags' attached as far as I can tell. As far as Naruto and women are concerned, you have to realise that Naruto is a 'Shonen Jump' manga, and thus not the most ideal publication to choose to make assessments of modern Japanese societies treatment of women.

[Btw. First post. Hello fellas ]

Puella Magi 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Galth's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

[Welcome Silver_Archer! Do post an introduction in the introduction thread so we can say welcome and stuff ]

Yeah, totally right, Chiyo was a really cool character, and was sure strong, to defeat the strongest puppeteer alive with only a destructive chuunin to help her...

Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Khaludh
    to defeat the strongest puppeteer alive with only a destructive chuunin to help her...
    do not underestimate sakura's medical abilities...she was so useful about that task. althought she is a chuunin without sakura chiyo wouldnt be able to kill sasori, and also vice versa is true without chiyo, sakura doesnt have a chance against sasori

(united girl power defeated a man )

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

> Tsunade was the only person until recently that almost killed Jiraiya.
    hmm, he was spying on her, he wasnt actually fighting so i don't think that counts

> Sakura was the only genin to resist the mass genjutsu during the invasion of the leaf... with the exception of shikamaru obviously...
    i dont agree with this as well, Shikamaru was pretending if i am not mistaken and Shino didnt fall under it either. Plz correct me if i am wrong

There are some strong women in Naruto, such as Tsuande and Shizune. Temari and Tayuya are pretty strong and Sakura as well as Hinata should be strong now, but lack experience i think. but the others fall short. Ten Ten and Ino seem more like support people in battles.

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

That's why i said: with the exception of shikamaru, and i don't believe shino was able to counter the jutsu... he only appeared out of nowhere later on... so somebody could have waked him up?

Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

shino was also watching fightings with other genins..but he was aware of something so he hide somewhere (my guess)..then when things get started he saw sasuke was going after sand team so he followed them..so i believe also shino was able to resist that genjutsu...that genjutsu had an affect on too many people so i believe it has not has much effect on one person as for "one-person" type gejutsus...

btw, may be shino was not take a lot of time in naruto but according to his fightings, he was one of the strongest chuunins at that time, (he fought succesfully against kankuro, who was clearly above than genin)..so shino's resist doesnt look like a suprise

back to topic:

temari should be more stronger than she looks, because she was the only one we saw who can use summoning other than naruto and being belove jounin level (she must be jounin now btw)

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That's why i said: with the exception of shikamaru, and i don't believe shino was able to counter the jutsu... he only appeared out of nowhere later on... so somebody could have waked him up?
    Hmm, not imposbible but unlikely. Seems like u are doubting Shino, i think he's pretty smart

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boffenjl
    Uhm... wasnt Deidara a girl?

Because she kicked ass.
    "As one would think he has the geographical advantage, oh yeah." Like she cared...
    I hope she is a girl!! But I think she/he is a boy -_-

It just seems like all the battle-wise cool characters are male in naruto.

And yeah, Ino and Anko have the coolest personalities!!!
    Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.<br /><br />

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

hmm  Deidara is a guy i think, I am not sure.

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

He is a he -> fact!

And i don't underestamate Shino, i believe he's the strongest of the Leaf's twelve, or at least he was before the timeskip in my opinion, and he's my no3 fav character... he'll replace Shika-kun in my sig when a cover of him is released ( and coloured by Vhea ) XD XD XD

New Reply
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast