Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Beelzebub by Tamura Ryuuhei

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Pirulito's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beelzebub Hangout Thread Part 3

At first, I thought it will be a common colorpage, so I was looking forward to see badass Kanzaki on there. But I had forgotten it will be a anniversary celebration. High chances to be a commemorative colorpage.

Se entendeu essa frase, entre nessa bagaça

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure about the cover (it could very easily be Oga+Beel+Hilda again), but the colorpage(s) will definitely be a group picture. Maybe its because I'm a Furuichi fangirl, but I really want Furuichi to look cool and not be the clown, like he was in the last anniversary colorpage (though it fit the theme).

I hope spoilers come out early so we can see the color pages.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Black Hawk's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like a Cover Page from natsu and his Group or of all 6 newcomers, with an Face of Fuji at the top. Cause you have to cliimb a mountain to be on the Top.
    Or the other version a Mountain never Moves and stand solid, the movement come always to the Mountain. Yes the Cover should be Natsu or all 6 Newcomers that will be nice. A small spoiler in the Cover.
    The last and not so much surprised Cover is Image of the complete Group around Oga. With or without Himekawa and Toujou.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I posted it in the spoiler thread anyway.

The cover actually looks a bit plain, but I'm assuming that means the color pages are nice. I'm still reeling over the Furuichi cover. Its really amazing and badass.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member thatguy3331's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

MOTS:
    Spoiler show
    for anyone who likes my HxH mots, find em all here! and here too! My blog

8. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Palau
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy 4 Years of Beelzebub

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys, I dont know if I'm crazy, but Kouta fall in love with Futaba at some point, right?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Mayotte
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pirulito View Post
    Guys, I dont know if I'm crazy, but Kouta fall in love with Futaba at some point, right?
    Yes, in the Rice Boy mini-arc. The scene is on chapter 158.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup.

Chapter 158. Though I doubt she'll reciprocate, considering they're four years old.

Its kind of funny actually...I don't want the baby love quadruple to be taken seriously, but its kind of ridiculous how things keep getting complicated. My only issue is that, Beel is around a year and a half younger than them, I don't think they'll be in the same class when they grow up.

Edit: woah, I got totally ninja'd by kendama!

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Mayotte
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Teeba View Post
    My only issue is that, Beel is around a year and a half younger than them, I don't think they'll be in the same class when they grow up.

Edit: woah, I got totally ninja'd by kendama!
    Actually, Kouta is three, just three or so months older than Beel. She tells Izuma his age some time in the beginning of the Christmas Arc.

So Kouta and Beel are going to be in the same class, one year behind Futaba.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks kendama. It would be nice of the author did a 10 years into the future kind of omake, where we see Beel in middle school or something (no Oga or anyone else, just the new kids).

Ah, on a separate note, the Japanese fandom is going nuts with the volume 20 release. I heard there's a poster included! I found this really lovely poster-style fanart of Furuichi and his summons on pixiv:

And another equally amazing one on tegaki-e:

Spoiler show

I think the general's coat is making a big impression on fans. It seems like all over the place Furuichi has had a huge spike in popularity.
    Last edited by Teeba; March 03, 2013 at 05:36 PM.

Country
    Mayotte
    Post Thanks / Like

I can understand why. Furuichi is probably the best sidekick I've ever seen in manga. He does not fall prey to most tropes that plague this kind of character: he is not pure comic relief, he is not a bumbling fool, he does not wallow in self-pity, he is not a pervert…

But he is still the underdog, and I think the reason this endears him to several audiences is that he is only physically weak: he has a powerful brain (but not ridiculously so to the point that people wouldn't be able to relate to him if he were some sort of genius), and most importantly, he is just as brave as Oga.

I think people often ask themselves about this kind of character, "Why does this fellow even hang out with the main character?". The authors explain it away as debts of gratitude, a need for protection or some sort of promise in the past, or a common goal. Often these reasons sound contrived. Not so with Furuichi: because he had no reason to begin with to befriend Oga (he seemed to be social and other kids even sought him out to play in middle school), that he did so only proves that the two are more in sync than appearances let one guess. They are friends because, deep down, they have similar mindsets: Furuichi doesn't back away from danger and can be even chivalrous, and his uninterested friendship offers Oga someone on whom he can rely.

Also, Furuichi and Oga are similar in that both are perfectly happy with who they are. Furuichi knows he is weak, but he is not interested in becoming strong or a delinquent, and has lots of self-confidence, even to try to hit on Nene, of all people.

So I guess people relate to him because he is very balanced. On first sight, he is the average Joe thrown into a maelstrom of supernatural events, but on closer inspection, he is quite heroic. It is easy to relate to him and at the same time to root for him.

Finally, he is also quite mundane in his feelings: he can be sly (as against Takashima), or disengaged (as when he was sleeping through the beginning of Oga's rampage to meet Toujou), or cunning (as against the Chief Bandit in the demon world arc), or willing to bask on undeserved fame (as when he claimed victories to which he did not contribute in the Christmas arc), or inclined to use rough methods to earn respect (the Tissues arc). He is not some tragic noble figure or model character, and he is not a foil to Oga: he has his own existence.

Furuichi, to sum it up, is a prototypical example of Tamura-sensei's chief talent: characterisation. Beelzebub's characters are quite tridimensional: most of them don't fit easy stereotypes. That's why I like the whole bunch a lot: they are very human. I wouldn't be surprised if, when the next popularity poll comes out (the last was in chapter 114, so we are probably not that far off), Furuichi remains on 5th place or even dislodges Kunieda from 4th.

20. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Akia999's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Teeba View Post
    I think the general's coat is making a big impression on fans. It seems like all over the place Furuichi has had a huge spike in popularity.
    I know,right.Look at the art on pixiv.

Go forth,General Furuichi.

On the side note,Beelzebub got nominated for best comedy in the mh manga award.
    Last edited by Akia999; March 05, 2013 at 08:56 AM.

Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't have said it better, kendama. That's pretty much all the reasons why Furuichi is my favorite character. I really like that his friendship with Oga wasn't based on protection, but on geniune bonding. Its kind of funny to see people's speculation and fancomics about this in retrospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Akia999 View Post
    I know,right.Look at the art on pixiv.
    Spoiler show

Go forth,General Furuichi.

On the side note,Beelzebub got nominated for best comedy in the mh manga award.
    None of the links are showing up. Hotlinking in general is strongly discouraged on the forum, maybe you could try to upload them onto an image hosting service? Like imgur, or imgbox. Also, it would be great to include the links to the artists who drew it. Should we start a fanart thread? It might turn into a Furuichi thread pretty quickly...

That being said, Furuichi is IMMENSELY popular on Pixiv. If it weren't for the popularity poll I would have guessed Oga as 1st most popular character and Furuichi 2nd. And if you think about it, the difference between Kunieda and Hilda were only like, 50 votes. Which is nothing. So if Furuichi surpasses Kunieda in the next poll, there's a high chance he could surpass Hilda too.

Oh yeah, we only get one shot at this guys. VOTE FOR BEELZEBUB IN THE MANGA AWARDS. Beelzebub is also eligible for the Manga of 2012 awards, so when the categories go up for that, please vote.
    Last edited by Teeba; March 05, 2013 at 06:00 AM.

New Reply
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast