Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Will Luffy face Big Mam?

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will Luffy face Big Mam?

Yes he will, even if he doesn't fight other Yonkou. The fight with Big Mom is personal as he challenged her for Fishman Island. He'd have planned on fighting her anyway, but Luffy takes it personally now because he wants to free the island from her control and put it under his protection, where there's no price for it.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    Yes he will, even if he doesn't fight other Yonkou. The fight with Big Mom is personal as he challenged her for Fishman Island. He'd have planned on fighting her anyway, but Luffy takes it personally now because he wants to free the island from her control and put it under his protection, where there's no price for it.
    Now that we know Kid also plans on defeating a Yonkou, I am not so sure. Kid already has been linked to her, sinking a few of her ships. He may be emboldened by his new alliance, more willing to directly challenge her. Due to the fallout from Fishman Island, Luffy and crew are dragged into the war, tipping the scale in favor of Kid. Fishman Island would become Luffy's territory, and Jinbe would join the crew, within the context of this larger conflict. Kid would actually be the one to fight, and defeat Mam though. He would then be accorded the glory, and also be proclaimed the next Yonkou. Luffy already would have managed the same feet by defeating Kaido.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member BlkPeregrine's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh you know he is going to face off against her. Right now, Luffy is making a name for himself even more among the big name pirates in the NW. He has directly challenged a Yonkou and threatened to take part of her territory under his own... which means that he is ready to take on the responsibility of having other pirates face him to gain territory and really even more so to start making a path as a Yonkou himself. He is going to be building a territory which means that he will also be targeted by other pirates that don't think they can take a Yonkou but can take on someone else, by other Yonkou who want to gain territory, and have a name that causes other pirates to think twice about their actions. Furthermore, he is about to take on the head of the underground in the NW which really makes him a target for everyone that will be effected by the lose of DD and his activity. And he is about to make another enemy out of another Yonkou that will be at a lose for his army not growing. If anything, Dressrosa may very well become part of Luffy's territory when this is all said and done. It is all slowing turning to having the eyes of the big fish aimed at the strawhats and even more, making their time in the NW more perilous than before they crossed the redline.
    When you cross paths with a beast, are there any guarantees... that you won't be mauled by it

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Now that we know Kid also plans on defeating a Yonkou, I am not so sure. Kid already has been linked to her, sinking a few of her ships. He may be emboldened by his new alliance, more willing to directly challenge her. Due to the fallout from Fishman Island, Luffy and crew are dragged into the war, tipping the scale in favor of Kid. Fishman Island would become Luffy's territory, and Jinbe would join the crew, within the context of this larger conflict. Kid would actually be the one to fight, and defeat Mam though. He would then be accorded the glory, and also be proclaimed the next Yonkou. Luffy already would have managed the same feet by defeating Kaido.
    It makes no sense for Luffy to challenge Big Mom and have her fight Kidd instead, though. I think Kidd will be instrumental in weakening Big Mom's force, but that's probably it at most. Kidd could go after another Yonkou, but I'm not sure if he's meant to fight Big Mom. Or that he's strong enough to become a Yonkou, as he, Luffy, and Law were supposedly even in strength or nearly even back then.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It makes no sense for Luffy to challenge Big Mom and have her fight Kidd instead, though. I think Kidd will be instrumental in weakening Big Mom's force, but that's probably it at most. Kidd could go after another Yonkou, but I'm not sure if he's meant to fight Big Mom. Or that he's strong enough to become a Yonkou, as he, Luffy, and Law were supposedly even in strength or nearly even back then.
    That's why I had thought he and Law would fight Big Mam, not Kaido. Challenging her, then fighting a different Yonkou leaves some awkward plot strings, at least for now. Kid's goal also is to take down a Yonkou. I'm not sure the point of him saying it so explicitly, if he does not actually fight one himself, and win. Luffy is going to fight Kaido. Big Mom seems like a natural for Kid, since he already sunk two ships in her fleet. The Fishman Island issue, and Jinbe, can be dealt with even if Kid, not Luffy, is the one to actually fight Mom one on one. Once Kaido is defeated, Neptune could renounce his alliance with Mom, accepting Luffy's protection instead. Jinbe also could join the Strawhats at that point. That would entangle Luffy in the war against Mom, ensuring the Strawhats are actually involved in the arc.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity danzouismadara's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

of course lol they have to meet because of jinbei

Can someone message me an anime that's similar to d grayman or claymore or deathnote?

Ive seen Deathnote, deadman wonderland, fairytale, shigurui, ao no exorcist, beelzebub, samurai champloo, code geass, devil may cry, Hakuouki, monster, blood plus, gantz. Basically, something with demons and gore.

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    That's why I had thought he and Law would fight Big Mam, not Kaido. Challenging her, then fighting a different Yonkou leaves some awkward plot strings, at least for now. Kid's goal also is to take down a Yonkou. I'm not sure the point of him saying it so explicitly, if he does not actually fight one himself, and win. Luffy is going to fight Kaido. Big Mom seems like a natural for Kid, since he already sunk two ships in her fleet. The Fishman Island issue, and Jinbe, can be dealt with even if Kid, not Luffy, is the one to actually fight Mom one on one. Once Kaido is defeated, Neptune could renounce his alliance with Mom, accepting Luffy's protection instead. Jinbe also could join the Strawhats at that point. That would entangle Luffy in the war against Mom, ensuring the Strawhats are actually involved in the arc.
    If that's true, then it should be Drake who should be fighting Kaidou as he attacked one of his territory before the timeskip, as far as I recall. I'm not sure if SHP would earn respect from Fishman Island if they're not the ones who beat Big Mom. Wouldn't that mean the island would be recognized as Kidd's, instead? If he knows about the territory, he can lay claim to it. Neptune might only accept the stronger crew, and since Kidd would have beaten Big Mom, he'd likely accept Kidd, though that depends.

We could also see Kidd and Luffy team up. Maybe the Worst Generation could be the first bunch of crews that really work together to overhaul the world.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member BlkPeregrine's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Luffy will definitely be the one to take her on later. Right now, the two pirate alliances are making history all around the world. Though we don't know for sure yet, it seems to be a bit astonishing thing to hear of pirate alliances especially in the NW. As Law mentioned before that the only way for pirates to survive in the NW is to join up under one of the Yonkou. Yet of the supernovas, they have decided to not join up with any of the Yonkou and instead join up together to create their own agenda for a time. That is unheard of in the NW apparently from what Law is saying about the status quo of the NW. So with that, I would think that the Kid, Hawkins and Apoo alliance is going after Shanks. I only say that because of all the Yonkou so far, he has been the only one not mentioned to have had dealings with any of the supernovas mentioned so far.
    When you cross paths with a beast, are there any guarantees... that you won't be mauled by it

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If that's true, then it should be Drake who should be fighting Kaidou as he attacked one of his territory before the timeskip, as far as I recall. I'm not sure if SHP would earn respect from Fishman Island if they're not the ones who beat Big Mom. Wouldn't that mean the island would be recognized as Kidd's, instead? If he knows about the territory, he can lay claim to it. Neptune might only accept the stronger crew, and since Kidd would have beaten Big Mom, he'd likely accept Kidd, though that depends.
    We don't really know Drake's status right now. He's an active, notorious pirate, re Brownbeard's speech, beyond that we don't know any details. He went to that Winter Island seeking Kaido's attention, but we don't know what happened since. He may have spent the last two years conducting minor raids against Kaido. he might have been seeking an alliance. Drake could become an ally of Luffy, later in the saga. He could end up being an enemy. Kid's intentions have been explicitly stated to the audience. We know he will try and defeat one of the Yonkou, and not necessarily the same one as Luffy and Law.

My feeling is that, even if they are fighting different Yonkou, the two alliances converge at the end of the arc. Caribou is on an island identified as a favorite of Caidou. He knows Shirahoshi is one of the ancient weapons, and probably will share this information with whoever is in charge of the island. Fishman Island remains Mom's territory. The presence of an ancient weapon might be enough to convince Kaido to go to war with Mom himself. He could attack Fishman Island, with Luffy and Law pursuing him there. Mom could go there to personally stop Kaido. If Mom is the Yonkou Kid is hunting, he and his alliance would follow her. Kaido and Mom would then both be defeated in the same arc, the last of the saga. Kid could defeat Mom on one part of the island, after which Luffy defeats Kaido.

It does not seem like Neptune would fly any flag but Luffy's, no matter who defeats Mom. Neptune already seems prepared to fly Luffy's Jolly Roger, if Jinbe were to end his alliance with Big Mom. It does not seem like he cares about waiting for someone to defeat her. He even says that the 70,000 pirates Luffy freed from Hodi Jones would be enough to protect the island, if Mom declares war. I don't think it matters who defeats Mom, Fishman Island will become Luffy's allies no matter what.

Quote Quote:
    We could also see Kidd and Luffy team up. Maybe the Worst Generation could be the first bunch of crews that really work together to overhaul the world.
    At some point yes, I think they will team up. Out of necessity, but not permanently. Maybe more than once, over the course of the series. I think they also will fight a few times, in between alliances. They already have fought side by side once, at Sabaody. It could happen again. Kid also seems to respect Luffy, though he sees him as a rival, not a friend.

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

But, if he doesn't beat Big Mom, then does he really deserve the island as his territory? At the least, would anyone respect the island as Luffy's territory if he didn't beat its previous ruler? Even though Neptune would state the island is Luffy's territory, others who don't know that would or could associate the island being part of whoever defeated Big Mom's territory. I still think Luffy will fight Big Mom because out of all the Yonkou, it's more of a personal conflict as Luffy wants his friends' hometown to be safe from any possible trouble without there being a condition.

I'm not saying Luffy wouldn't get respect if he beat Kaidou instead of Big Mom though, I know he definitely would. But would others acknowledge Fishman Island as his own? They'd be more accepting of Luffy getting Kaidou's territories, but I doubt many people would accept Fishman Island being part of Luffy's territory.

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2