Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!

View Poll Results: Who is the mastermind behind this situation?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rachel (Breaking free of Koon in villianous style)

9 60.00%
  • Karaka (He did imply he was planning something.)

3 20.00%
  • Hwa Ryun (Who needs a motive when you're completely insane.)

0 0%
  • Other (please post)

3 20.00%
New Reply

Thread: Tower of God Chapter 128 & 129 Review

MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Tower of God Chapter 128 & 129 Review

The poll last week was on "who is going to die". People overwhelming thought Cassano and were overwhelmingly wrong thus far. There was also this dumb guy who voted for Koon.....wait, is that my name? Anyway, there was only one person with the foresight and wisdom to pick Horyang....

mup, we all bow before you superior predictive abilities.

Now onto the review!

Chapter 128 & 129 Review

This is what is known as "Biting off more than you can chew."

The Plot

In these chapters those hunting the Devil of the Right Arm found themselves being hunted and turned against one another; but by whom remains a mystery.

Horyang's reunion with Cassano ends in tragedy as Cassano appears to be struck down by Ran and Novik only to latter have his hand emerge from the pile of rubble to impaling Horyang as his former friend was trying to avenge him. If this is the end of Horyang it's sad one, and I think it is.

Baam, meanwhile having been led in by the very bunny girl that paid to have Koon killed and sent Horyang into this mess. Reaching the place were the battle raged just in time to see Horyang bleeding on the floor. The bunny girl jumps on the opportunity and accuses Novik and Ran of killing him and successfully manipulates Baam into fighting them. Which end in a decisive and informative victory by Baam which leaves Ran and Novik laying on their backs in a pile of rubble.

Koon during all this backtracked the electronic trap and finds that it's one of Apple's; meaning he's been set up by a member of his own team. Hearing the explosions he rushes toward the scene and arrives to find Ran and Novik defeated and Baam standing over them and the bunny girl trying to convince him to kill them.

The Art

Both these chapters were very pretty in every regard. I often mention that, although ToG does many things well, combat art is something that it struggles with; mainly because the artistic flair often times gets in the way of the clarity of a battle scene. In the case of these fights, particularly in Baam's, I think SIU benefited greatly by a few panels in which he backed out to a more distant perspective on the fight to offer more clarity.

All the characters were also extremely expressive with all of the lighting and shading touches I love so much. I particularly enjoyed the way Baam's eyes were drawn. This was one of those chapters where the artwork really helped make the whole package better.

Overall Rating

These were the best combat chapters in a long time and Horyang death provided a healthy amount of drama and great artwork, there really isn't a lot more I could ask for.

I give it a 5 out 5

Points of Interest

The "Death" of Horyang

He just fell on a bunch of ketchup packets he kept in his breast pocket, it's barely a flesh wound.

If you read these chapters and have read much in the way of comics, manhwa, or manga there's a good chance your thinking something similar to the comment above. When a character falls, as Horyang did, and a villain vouches for him being dead in order to start another fight. The odds of him actually being dead lie somewhere in the 20-30% range. So it's not at all unreasonable to think Horyang is really alive.

However, even saying all that I just did, I think Horyang is dead or dying. I think this because it is more dramatic and more interesting that way and also because I notice quite a few things which, in hindsight, seem like pathos; namely those Teddy jackets everyone was wearing and how everybody was staying up for him. Those could have been seen as "death flags".

Spoiler: A concept which this Gintama scene can explain better than I can.. show

Lets face it Horyang was never the "best" of the new cast. I liked him and I found him to be reasonably interesting but he was never going to be able to hold his own with Rak, Androssi, or Anak in fan's hearts; that was just never going to happen. When the casts rejoin one another he just wasn't going to make many people's top 10 character lists. So I'm a fan of killing him here; as I think his character, and the series as a whole, is better served by having him burn out rather than fade away.

The Battles and the Takeaway's

Takeaway #1: Don't make Baam angry. You wouldn't like him when he's angry.

Takeaway #2: We learned Ran is hella strong but not unreasonably so. Androssi or Anak could probably steal the punk's lunch money. As strong and fast as he is his limits became apparent when he had to use his best attack to take down Cassano and then Baam stomped him pretty effortlessly. He's strong and skilled for a regular but that's all.

Takeaway #3: We learned Novik, who we knew to be weaker than Ran, is very much a direct fighter. He seemed most comfortable playing the role of the tank. Which is less interesting to me than his personality which came out a little bit in these battles. When faced with Baam's wrath at the apparent death of Horyang, he falsely confessed to it in order to simplify things. This is a very...odd reaction and I'm not quite sure what to make of it, honestly. I guess he's just a really simplistic kind of guy.

Takeaway #4: We got our first real measurable combat engagement by Baam, which goes a long way toward answering the question "How strong is he really?" . According to Ran among E-Class regulars there are only about 10 that can control 3 Baangs (3 shinsooo objects), Baang controlled 5. He easily overpowered both Ran and Novik, who are probably some of the higher end E-Class Regulars, at the same time; but it wasn't completely one sided. I take this to mean Baam is at the very top of E-Class in ability but still nowhere near a ranker.

Ah, So It's "This" Kind of Disaster.

Man, if Baam doesn't kill those idiots, Koon WILL when he finds out how pissed Baam is.

Looks like Horyang got caught in the trap meant for Koon's team and now bunny girl probably wants to make's Baam's team the executioners. A nice evil plan made possible by Koon making some mistakes.

It's still impossible to say with certainty who's behind this but we have some clues. The traitorous bunny girl/mercenary/info dealer, Apple hacking Koon's gear, three members of Koons team decided to "call in sick", Cassano just sitting there waiting for them in trap filled labyrinth.

This situation absolutely reeks to me of a setup by Rachel. Baam and Horyang were both brought there to help dispose of Ran, Novik, and maybe Koon.

Now that Baam and Koon have reunited, the likely course of events would be for them to talk this out but if I'm right about the nature of this trap there will likely be more to it that just this. If Cassano really was tasked with taking care of Koon and his team, he couldn't have counted on Baam's appearance, meaning he must have had one more trap waiting to take care of Koon's and his people. I expect we'll see that trap sprung when Baam and Koon are distracted.
    Last edited by Jammin; January 28, 2013 at 07:09 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

2. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tower of God Chapter 128 & 129 Review

While I was both right and wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    In terms of who will die, I think that only Cassano should die, as that would then set up the Gongbang. If Horyang is killed by Ran and Novick, when Baam arrives and sees Horyang's dead body, we'll end up with this sort of contrived situation pitting Baam up against Koon, with Baam probably not knowing that it's Koon's team. Logically, that'll result in Baam's team facing Koon's team in the Gongbang, which would provide some excitement, I suppose, but it's not something I want to see. I'd rather that Cassano dies, Baam arrives, and he and Koon meet up, and then everyone goes off to the Gongbang. However, given that we were told that everyone would meet at the Gongbang, somehow, I don't think that Koon and Baam will meet here at Arlene's Hand. I think that Baam will face off against Ran and Novick, be at least somewhat on top, but then they'll leave.
    In my post, I said that I thought Cassano should die, but that more logically, Horyang would die. I didn't expect to see Koon and Baam meeting at Arlene's Hand, however.

Jammin, Ran's in the top 5 of E-rank regulars and Novick's in the 10 top of E-rank regulars.

Horyang was my favorite of the new cast. I'm with you in that I expect him to be dead. I know that Hiyori survived bifurcation and all of that stuff, but that was Bleach. ToG tends to be much more realistic with injuries than most manga/manhwa.

I agree that the art was some of the nicest we've seen for a long time.

I'm surprised that you didn't talk about Baam's secondary position being Lightbearer, and if you look at Yu Han Sung's stat card, Baam's starting to look rather similar to YHS, just that YHS is an anima and Baam is a genius copier. YHS' secondary position is also lightbearer and YHS is physically inept, which I compare to Baam taking damage from Wangnan's regular bombs. I also thought you might talk about the afterwords, but no dice on that front either.

While the plot being connected to Rachel would make sense, I don't think it's that. FUG can't be involved in everything either, so it shouldn't be them. I think perhaps it's a third party that we've yet to meet, perhaps the Gongbang people who put the Devil into Horyang and Cassano. Who knows. I just don't think it's Rachel or FUG.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

While I was both right and wrong.

"In terms of who will die, I think that only Cassano should die, as that would then set up the Gongbang. If Horyang is killed by Ran and Novick, when Baam arrives and sees Horyang's dead body, we'll end up with this sort of contrived situation pitting Baam up against Koon, with Baam probably not knowing that it's Koon's team. Logically, that'll result in Baam's team facing Koon's team in the Gongbang, which would provide some excitement, I suppose, but it's not something I want to see. I'd rather that Cassano dies, Baam arrives, and he and Koon meet up, and then everyone goes off to the Gongbang. However, given that we were told that everyone would meet at the Gongbang, somehow, I don't think that Koon and Baam will meet here at Arlene's Hand. I think that Baam will face off against Ran and Novick, be at least somewhat on top, but then they'll leave."

In my post, I said that I thought Cassano should die, but that more logically, Horyang would die. I didn't expect to see Koon and Baam meeting at Arlene's Hand, however.
    Well, speaking as a connoisseur of being wrong, applying grading scale I use on myself you were just plain wrong. My rule of thumb on predictions is anything in a prediction is untrue than the prediction is untrue.

I'm of the "true or false" school of predictions, though.

Jammin, Ran's in the top 5 of E-rank regulars and Novick's in the 10 top of E-rank regulars.
    Ah, thank you I wasn't sure exactly where they were ranked but that's about what I figured

I'm surprised that you didn't talk about Baam's secondary position being Lightbearer, and if you look at Yu Han Sung's stat card, Baam's starting to look rather similar to YHS, just that YHS is an anima and Baam is a genius copier. YHS' secondary position is also lightbearer and YHS is physically inept, which I compare to Baam taking damage from Wangnan's regular bombs. I also thought you might talk about the afterwords, but no dice on that front either.
    Can't cover everything. Also I feel like part of that is still unclear. The Rabbit Girl is a nearby lightbearer so it's hard to conclusively separate any effect she might have had, if any.

While the plot being connected to Rachel would make sense, I don't think it's that. FUG can't be involved in everything either, so it shouldn't be them. I think perhaps it's a third party that we've yet to meet, perhaps the Gongbang people who put the Devil into Horyang and Cassano. Who knows. I just don't think it's Rachel or FUG.
    Possible but I think unlikely. Mainly because they have little motive to set up Koon's team. If this trap was set for Horyang or maybe Baam, due to his inner crab, then maybe I could see that. But why would the Workshop want Koon's people wiped out? I just don't see an angle there.

Still, I can add it to the poll if you like?
    Last edited by Jammin; January 28, 2013 at 05:11 PM.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    Well, speaking as a connoisseur of being wrong, applying grading scale I use on myself you were just plain wrong. My rule of thumb on predictions is anything in a prediction is untrue than the prediction is untrue.

I can understand that. My prediction grading scale has more than just two choices. There's right, mostly right, both right and wrong, and just flat out wrong. There's really no semi-wrong.

Ah, thank you I wasn't sure exactly where they were ranked but that's about what I figured
    Androssi, Ran, and Chang make up three of the top 5, and then there are two other top 5 members that we'll most likely meet during the Gongbang. Baam obviously doesn't count for the top 5 ranking. Novick could be ranked sixth for all we know.

Given the new evidence that we have about wave controllers who can use three rooms, I don't know where Quattro is ranked. I figured that he'd be ranked in the top 10, but now, I'm starting to think that he's probably ranked around 15-20.

Can't cover everything. Also I feel like part of that is still unclear. The Rabbit Girl is a nearby lightbearer so it's hard to conclusively separate any effect she might have had, if any.
    Baam still does appear to summon at least one lighthouse and then he does appear to use some type of field tech, although he doesn't label it anything.

Possible but I think unlikely. Mainly because they have little motive to set up Koon's team. If this trap was set for Horyang or maybe Baam, due to his inner crab, then maybe I could see that. But why would the Workshop want Koon's people wiped out? I just don't see an angle there.

Look, realistically, I think that it's probably Rachel, but I don't want it to be Rachel, nor do I want it to be FUG running this plan. It just seems that everything in this manhwa is because of FUG. I'm sorry, but one organization can't be responsible for everything that occurs. I voted for Other because I don't want it to be Rachel or FUG. If you're nailing me down and asking what I think will happen, it'll be Rachel who's the mastermind of this plan.

No, don't. I just named the Gongbang people as another group who could be involved. I didn't think it was them or anything.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member abc1233's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I'd say it's one of the most important bits of info to come from the latest chapter. True, we don't know the full extent of Xia's influence, but we can be pretty sure that the barrier was Baam's doing considering his gesture.

I can understand that. My prediction grading scale has more than just two choices. There's right, mostly right, both right and wrong, and just flat out wrong. There's really no semi-wrong.

Androssi, Ran, and Chang make up three of the top 5, and then there are two other top 5 members that we'll most likely meet during the Gongbang. Baam obviously doesn't count for the top 5 ranking. Novick could be ranked sixth for all we know.

Given the new evidence that we have about wave controllers who can use three rooms, I don't know where Quattro is ranked. I figured that he'd be ranked in the top 10, but now, I'm starting to think that he's probably ranked around 15-20.

Baam still does appear to summon at least one lighthouse and then he does appear to use some type of field tech, although he doesn't label it anything.

Look, realistically, I think that it's probably Rachel, but I don't want it to be Rachel, nor do I want it to be FUG running this plan. It just seems that everything in this manhwa is because of FUG. I'm sorry, but one organization can't be responsible for everything that occurs. I voted for Other because I don't want it to be Rachel or FUG. If you're nailing me down and asking what I think will happen, it'll be Rachel who's the mastermind of this plan.

No, don't. I just named the Gongbang people as another group who could be involved. I didn't think it was them or anything.
    From what I understood, Chang appears to only be a top 5 fisherman not top 5 overall like Ran.
    Last edited by abc1233; January 28, 2013 at 06:00 PM.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

As somebody who hates everything about FUG's introduction into the plot with a burning passion, believe me I understand.

I think the best case here would be if Rachel allied herself with Karaka, as she is an irregular technically qualifying her to be able kill Zahard. So maybe Cassano Bunny girl are Karaka's people and Apple is one of Rachel's. So it can be FUG and Rachel behind it. Rachel could be Karaka's own personal slayer candidate.

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by abc1233 View Post
    Well I'd say it's one of the most important bits of info to come from the latest chapter. True, we don't know the full extent of Xia's influence, but we can be pretty sure that the barrier was Baam's doing considering his gesture.
    Maybe but he also might have been using Xia's lighthouse to do the technique so that might not have been all him.

Some of it no doubt was, but that's where things get unclear. Which is why I didn't focus on it much just yet. Sooner or later it will become clear or SIU will do a blog post about it. Until then I figured it would be more important to focus on things like Horyang's death and the building evidence of Koon's team betraying him. Which seem like things I can get more into than a nuance of Baam's power. We all know the important thing there already.....Baam is incredibly badass.
    Last edited by Jammin; January 28, 2013 at 06:15 PM.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by abc1233 View Post
    From what I understood, Chang appears to only be a top 5 fisherman not top 5 overall like Ran.
    I had trusted the ToG wiki on that one, but when I went back and looked at The Company's scan of the chapter, it appears that Chang's a top 5 fisherman, but it's an odd wording.

So, thanks for the correction.

As somebody who hates everything about FUG's introduction into the plot with a burning passion, believe me I understand.
    I don't hate everything about FUG's introduction into the plot as it created a large antagonist, something that ToG didn't have, although ToG worked quite well without an antagonist, but I do hate when FUG becomes responsible for everything. I heavily dislike that because of FUG, we haven't seen Androssi, except for around the corner of a door, in all 49 chapters of S2.

I think the best case here would be if Rachel allied herself with Karaka, as she is an irregular technically qualifying her to be able kill Zahard. So maybe Cassano Bunny girl are Karaka's people and Apple is one of Rachel's. So it can be FUG and Rachel behind it. Rachel could be Karaka's own personal slayer candidate.
    Then it's both Rachel and FUG, which could even be worse in some ways than it just being one of them, although it might make more sense in the grand scheme of things.

In terms of your use of the word slayer, slayers haven't been confirmed to be irregulars. Karaka's definitely not an irregular. When I say definitely, I mean that it appears that he's not. SIU could always retcon in that Karaka's an irregular, but if Karaka were an irregular, FUG wouldn't care about Baam.

Rachel could be an attempt by Karaka to have a controlled irregular who wanted to work with FUG.

Still, I don't like any of this. Yu Han Sung went from being a creepy coffee drinker to some evil mastermind who wants to magically kill Zahard for some random reason.

Maybe but he also might have been using Xia's lighthouse to do the technique so that might not have been all him.

Some of it no doubt was, but that's where things get unclear. Which is why I didn't focus on it much just yet. Sooner or later it will become clear or SIU will do a blog post about it. Until then I figured it would be more important to focus on things like Horyang's death and the building evidence of Koon's team betraying him. Which seem like things I can get more into than a nuance of Baam's power. We all know the important thing there already.....Baam is incredibly badass.
    Baam still did appear to summon one lighthouse, although it's not clear.

I know that it wasn't explained that well, but you still should've mentioned it.

We already knew that Baam was a beast.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member mup's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

first off great review my thought on who miss bunny is i have no clue just wild theory but i think we well find out in just 2 more chapter it has to transition to the gong bang arc but it has to have more to it than just reuniting the season 1 cast horyang death maybe the trigger tho i find it unlikely anyway about the awesome chapter i was very surprise actually that SIU was able to make complex fighting scene with a lot of movement than just pose it just my opinion i agree with you on the art work the last couple of chapter's wasn't fluid and seemed rush kudos again for the review

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

First at all, thanks for you review. I would like to write in such a way. Here my comments:

Lets face it Horyang was never the "best" of the new cast. I liked him and I found him to be reasonably interesting but he was never going to be able to hold his own with Rak, Androssi, or Anak in fan's hearts; that was just never going to happen. When the casts rejoin one another he just wasn't going to make many people's top 10 character lists. So I'm a fan of killing him here; as I think his character, and the series as a whole, is better served by having him burn out rather than fade away.
    Horyang has something valuable that Rak, Androssi and Anak don't: namely the fact that his story resembles Viole's story in important respects: both of them were lonely boys, both of them met a woman that became very important for them, both of them seem to have been used by other people to host a weapon inside of them, and last but not least, both of them were separated from his old friends and both of them were trying to make sense of his life or in search of his old friends or to avenge them. (Now we can add another common feature: both of them has been betrayed by his best friend.) His last dialogue with Viole remarked those features, and I think it was the intention of SIU to make emphasis on these parallels. Now precisely for that, I think Horyang is dead. Because, you are right on it, his death brings much more passion, tension and tragedy to Viole's story and to the whole plot. But this dramatic effect, in terms of plot development, is achievement only if the reader has awaken some sympathy for Horyang indebted to their resemblances, and only if the reader has identified those resemblances.

That’s also a part why we felt sorrow and sadness because of his death:

Quote Quote:
    If this is the end of Horyang it's sad one, and I think it is.
    But consider that, here, all the characters serve the same purpose (to construct a good story) and all of them with a different role each one. So that only by events like Horyang's death, the story of Viole and his former friends will become even greater. Then to say that he won’t go the take a place in the reader’s hearts comparable to the ones of Rak or Androssi, is, in a way, oversimplify something that has another kind of dynamic.

Quote Quote:
    Takeaway #3: We learned Novik, who we knew to be weaker than Ran, is very much a direct fighter. He seemed most comfortable playing the role of the tank. Which is less interesting to me than his personality which came out a little bit in these battles. When faced with Baam's wrath at the apparent death of Horyang, he falsely confessed to it in order to simplify things. This is a very...odd reaction and I'm not quite sure what to make of it, honestly. I guess he's just a really simplistic kind of guy.
    I think to confess what they didn’t do was just a pragmatic way out, like: “Uhhh the killer is gone… I don’t have time to explain nothing to this guy that seems to want to avenge this Horyang, but I have to seek for the killer (it was his mission)
    instead of weasting time in useless explanations, I smash him right now with a punch and keep seeking for Cassano”. Only that he miscalculates that Viole was stronger than them together.

Quote Quote:
    Takeaway #4: We got our first real measurable combat engagement by Baam, which goes a long way toward answering the question "How strong is he really?" . According to Ran among E-Class regulars there are only about 10 that can control 3 Baangs (3 shinsooo objects), Baang controlled 5. He easily overpowered both Ran and Novik, who are probably some of the higher end E-Class Regulars, at the same time; but it wasn't completely one sided. I take this to mean Baam is at the very top of E-Class in ability but still nowhere near a ranker.
    Due to his formidable capability to learn and copy others powers, I think Viole is a guy with whom the ranks doesn’t work: today he is not as strong as a ranker, but if he fights with him once or twice, possible tomorrow he will be.

About the guy behind all of this, I think he is simply Cassano. Apple, Bunny and the Snake guy were his subordinates, and he was trying, first, to take possession of the whole ignite weapon rejoining the two parts, and then using Koon for …. ??? I don’t know what for, but I fell it’s him.

About the arts, I’m glad to agree with you, because most of the time is something that disappoints me a bit of this wonderful manhwa.
    Last edited by ukimix; February 01, 2013 at 04:05 PM.

18. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    Horyang has something valuable that Rak, Androssi and Anak don't: namely the fact that his story resembles Viole's story in important respects: both of them were lonely boys, both of them met a woman that became very important for them, both of them seem to have been used by other people to host a weapon inside of them, and last but not least, both of them were separated from his old friends and both of them were trying to make sense of his life or in search of his old friends or to avenge them. (Now we can add another common feature: both of them has been betrayed by his best friend.) His last dialogue with Viole remarked those features, and I think it was the intention of SIU to make emphasis on these parallels. Now precisely for that, I think Horyang is dead. Because, you are right on it, his death brings much more passion, tension and tragedy to Viole's story and to the whole plot. But this dramatic effect, in terms of plot development, is achievement only if the reader has awaken some sympathy for Horyang indebted to their resemblances, and only if the reader has identified those resemblances.

That’s also a part why we felt sorrow and sadness because of his death:
    I see what you mean. There were many parallels with Baam. Though to be honest I think in Horyang's case the what was more important was the sense of connectivity Miseng, Goseng, Prince, Wangan, and Baam all had. Mainly because Horyang was never really normal and that normal origin story is a big hook with who Baam is.

So I think, for me at least, the main loss comes from Baam losing a part of his new "familiy". More than a sense of individual empathy.

But consider that, here, all the characters serve the same purpose (to construct a good story) and all of them with a different role each one. So that only by events like Horyang's death, the story of Viole and his former friends will become even greater. Then to say that he won’t go the take a place in the reader’s hearts comparable to the ones of Rak or Androssi, is, in a way, oversimplify something that has another kind of dynamic.
    I admit I am oversimplifying it but I'm doing it that way to spare Horyang's character criticisms that don't really matter anymore. There were some basic aspects about the way his character was designed that put a fairly low ceiling on him in the long term. (Personality, Appearance, Combat style)

With characters like Rak, Androssi, Anak, Hatsu, and even Leesoo around I just don't think he ever had any chance of standing up to that. He'd just get boo'd off the stage, so to speak.

Due to his formidable capability to learn and copy others powers, I think Viole is a guy with whom the ranks doesn’t work: today he is not as strong as a ranker, but if he fights with him once or twice, possible tomorrow he will be.
    Well the ranks reflect current ability. Not potential. He had an attack that managed to scratch Mazino so we know he can pretty much scratch anybody. Even so at the current point in the story if he fights a ranker the smart money should be on the ranker. I'm sure one day he'll be one of the strongest there is but right now he's still a relatively little fish. Which begs an interesting question. Just were is he in the pecking order?

In terms of overall ranking you have to think he's very close to Androssi if not slightly above her.(which is a revelation in and of itself)
    Last edited by Jammin; February 02, 2013 at 06:10 PM.

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

So I think, for me at least, the main loss comes from Baam losing a part of his new "familiy". More than a sense of individual empathy.
    Spoiler show

Aside of the good feelings for the members of a family, in the world of ToG, there are the good feelings for the people who need to be protected and cared. And Horyang was precesily the kind of guy who would take care of that people. That was very nice from him!... Think of little Yeo Miseng. She was part of her new family, but also it's believable that she feeled protected by him. I bet she will drop two more tears than anyother of that family.

Horyang was searching for a meaning for his life. That's why he has the right to know about Viole's inner weapon. That's why he was searching for his old friend. But not only he didn't found it, but he died asking why his childhood friend killed him? That's even a loss for a sentimental reader like me....

The empathy here it's not something between Horyang and Viole. Or not only between them, but also between Viole, Horyang and the readers. It's something that, if you let me get a little bit nerd here, Aristotle called catharsis. Only that, at this point, us, the readers caught by this story, haven't experimented any catharsis at all, but just sadness , and we "need to be aliviated" of this loos by the future actions of the hero.

Spoiler show

And of course that gives it much more sense to the future story of Viole, who is also searching for a meaning for his life.
    Last edited by ukimix; February 02, 2013 at 07:09 PM.

21. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show

Aside of the good feelings for the members of a family, in the world of ToG, there are the good feelings for the people who need to be protected and cared. And Horyang was precesily the kind of guy who would take care of that people. That was very nice from him!... Think of little Yeo Miseng. She was part of her new family, but also it's believable that she feeled protected by him. I bet she will drop two more tears than anyother of that family.

Horyang was searching for a meaning for his life. That's why he has the right to know about Viole's inner weapon. That's why he was searching for his old friend. But not only he didn't found it, but he died asking why his childhood friend killed him? That's even a loss for a sentimental reader like me....

The empathy here it's not something between Horyang and Viole. Or not only between them, but also between Viole, Horyang and the readers. It's something that, if you let me get a little bit nerd here, Aristotle called catharsis. Only that, at this point, us, the readers caught by this story, haven't experimented any catharsis at all, but just sadness , and we "need to be aliviated" of this loos by the future actions of the hero.

Spoiler show

And of course that gives it much more sense to the future story of Viole, who is also searching for a meaning for his life.
    I understand what your saying but I don't quite see it that way. I expect the big catharsis moment to be after they have to tell Miseng (that's going to be a heartbreaker)

I don't think Cassano can really provide the same because, knowing how SIU general writes, I'm sure he did what he did for his own reasons.

Androssi, in one of my favorite scenes, explains to Baam why people betray each other in tower. She explains everyone just follows their heart in pursuit of what they wish for. Only, they aren't wishing for the same thing. Horyang's wish was to meet Cassano again, and in a sad way he got his wish. Baam and his group just wanted Horyang back, doesn't seem like they will be getting their wish. I have a suspicion of Cassano's motivations and he was just pursuing his own hearts desire so I don't expect any resolution there.

Spoiler: If your curious what I suspect about Cassano, I'll give you some clues. show
    Last edited by Jammin; February 02, 2013 at 09:37 PM.

23. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand what your saying but I don't quite see it that way. I expect the big catharsis moment to be after they have to tell Miseng (that's going to be a heartbreaker)

I don't think Cassano can really provide the same because, knowing how SIU general writes, I'm sure he did what he did for his own reasons.

Androssi, in one of my favorite scenes, explains to Baam why people betray each other in tower. She explains everyone just follows their heart in pursuit of what they wish for. Only, they aren't wishing for the same thing. Horyang's wish was to meet Cassano again, and in a sad way he got his wish. Baam and his group just wanted Horyang back, doesn't seem like they will be getting their wish. I have a suspicion of Cassano's motivations and he was just pursuing his own hearts desire so I don't expect any resolution there.

Spoiler: If your curious what I suspect about Cassano, I'll give you some clues. show
    I think that that explanation of why people betray each other in the tower belongs to a logic that Viole wants to overule, the status quo inside the tower, or at least in that part of it in which people wants to climb the tower. Catharsis can come only with the definitive subversion of those rules that makes people to betray each other: that would have to be the only possible solution. Or we would have to accept that in the world of ToG it's ok if people die by the hand of the best friend, because the friend do what he wish. Viole didn't accept it, and even didn't understand it. As a reader, you can feel his pain and understand his quest.

In other worlds: Androssi is wrong, and Viole will teach her why.

Nice prediction about Cassano.

New Reply