Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: The Magi Characters and their Counterparts

Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

The Magi Characters and their Counterparts

I think most of you know that Ohtaka uses the famous tale of "One Thousand and One Nights" as an inspiration for her own manga but do you know all the characters and how they're similar/different to Magi? I didn't put much thought into it but when I stumbled upon some characters from the tale, I got pretty curious and had to check them out. For all of you who're interested, here's a list (I shortened "One Thousand and One Nights" to OTAON):

Quote Quote:
    1.Scheherazade (OTAON): The legendary Persian queen and the storyteller and narrator of The Nights. She marries King Shahryar, who has vowed that he will execute a new bride everyday. For 1001 nights, Scheherazade tells her husband a story every night, stopping at dawn with a cliffhanger, forcing the King to keep her alive for another day.

2.Aladdin (OTAON): A young man, who gets tricked by a sorcerer. The sorcerer wants him to find a magic oil lamp and entraps him in the magic cave, after his attempt to take the lamp from Alladin fails. In despair, Aladdin rubs the ring given to him by the sorcerer and a genie appears, who takes him home to his mother. Still having the lamp, his mother accidentally finds out that there's an even more powerful genie inside it. With the aid of the genie of the lamp, Aladdin becomes rich and powerful and marries Princess Badroulbadour, the Emperor's daughter.

3.Alibaba (OTAON): Ali Baba and his elder brother Cassim are the sons of a merchant. After the death of their father, the greedy Cassim marries a wealthy woman and becomes rich, building on their father's business—but Ali Baba marries a poor woman and settles into the trade of a woodcutter. He is an honest man whom fortune enables to take advantage of the fourty thieves' robberies

4.Cassim (OTAON): Cassim is the rich and greedy brother of Ali Baba who is killed by the Forty Thieves when he is caught stealing treasure from their magic cave.

5.Morgiana (OTAON) :Morgiana is a clever slave girl. She is initially in Cassim's household but on his death she joins his brother Ali Baba and through her quick wittedness she saves Ali's life many times and eventually kills his worst enemy, the leader of the Forty Thieves. As reward, Ali frees her and Morgiana marries Ali's son.

6.Sinbad (OTAON): Sinbad the Sailor is from Basra, but in his old age he lives in Baghdad. He recounts the tales of his seven voyages to Sinbad the Porter because he's amused of them sharing the same name. During his voyages throughout the seas east of Africa and south of Asia, he had fantastic adventures going to magical places, meeting monsters, and encountering supernatural phenomena.

7.Yunan (OTAON): King Yunan is a king of one of the ancient Persian cities.Yunan is suffering from leprosy but he is cured by Duban the physician whom he rewards greatly. This causes his vizier to get jealous of Duban and after some time and cheap tricks, he's able to convince Yunan that Duban is after his throne. This leds to his execution. Later Yunan dies after reading a book of Duban's, which had some poisoned pages.

8.Ja'far (OTAON): Ja'far ibn Yahya appears in many stories, normally accompanying Harun-al-Rashid (fifth Abbasid Caliph who ruled from 786 until 809). Ja'far is the protagonist in one of the story, depicted in a role similar to a detective. In another story, "The Tale of Attaf", he's depicted as an adventurer alongside the protagonist Attaf.

9.Dunyazad (it's just my guess that she is the counterpart or at least namesake of Dunya from Magi): Dunyazad is the younger sister of Queen Scheherazade. In the story cycle, it's her who (at Scheherazade's instruction) initiates the tactic of a cliffhanger storytelling to prevent her sister's execution by Shahryar.

10.Judar (OTAON): His two elder brothers are greedy and evil, and after their father's death they swindle him and their mother of their rightful inheritance. To make ends meet for him and his mother, Judar begins doing some pretty shady things (an evil sorceror asks him to get some items from a dungeon, and it spirals downward from there), and it culminates in his brothers finding out and having him poisoned. This story is one of the few really tragic stories in the OTAON.
    I'm surprised how similar some are (like Morgiana or Cassim) but others appear to be totally different (like Yunan) compared to the tale. Overall I still think that Ohtaka made a good mix of using her own thoughts and "borrowing" ideas from the tale though

Oh and I'm pretty sure there are quite a lot of characters missing, so if you know/think there's another counterpart just post it here and I will add it to the list
    Last edited by naruto-niichan; February 01, 2013 at 10:11 AM.

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Wrecking Ball 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Magi Characters and their Counterparts

Yunan has such a sad back story, kind of unexpected since Magi's Yunan seems a little bit...tougher (?) somehow. But at least now we know that Ohtaka seems a little bit liberal in interpreting the characters from OTAON.

Probably she's just borrowing their names.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zasz's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

I like this topic and it sure is interesting to see from what the authoress has been inspired.
    Anyway the Magi characters, even if they share some traits with their counterparts, they have been given a deeper characterization by the authoress, and that's what I liked and like about this manga.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Judal has a backstory in 1001 Arabian Nights as well, but since his name is in fact Judar....well, I guess we've been pronouncing it wrong. (Arabic doesn't have the r-l confusion, but most probably the pronounciation was lost when transliterating his name from Arabic to Japanese to English).

Judar's story: His two elder brothers are greedy and evil, and after their father's death they swindle him and their mother of their rightful inheritance. To make ends meet for him and his mother, Judar begins doing some pretty shady things (an evil sorceror asks him to get some items from a dungeon, and it spirals downward from there), and it culminates in his brothers finding out and having him poisoned. This story is one of the few really tragic stories in the OTAON.

6. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh gawd. Judal story may be a great hint.

After all, He's poisoned. ;_;
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member AlphaIkaros's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

two evil brothers- Al Sarmen
    Judar was forced into doing shady things - working as Al Sarmen's Magi and Kou Empire's Oracle
    Poisoned - fallen into depravity

that's how I saw this story with Judal's... Anyway, I still think that Judal is possible to escape the Al Sarmen's hands, all he needs is a saviorAladdin

+-----+-----+-----+-----+|Magi Section|Tumblr|+-----+-----+-----+-----+

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zasz's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaIkaros View Post
    two evil brothers- Al Sarmen
    Judar was forced into doing shady things - working as Al Sarmen's Magi and Kou Empire's Oracle
    Poisoned - fallen into depravity

that's how I saw this story with Judal's... Anyway, I still think that Judal is possible to escape the Al Sarmen's hands, all he needs is a saviorAladdin
    Hey, you're right and your theory could be true Alpha.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Kalyra's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

http://judoll.tumblr.com/post/414833...some-mythology
    Fans on tumblr are really helpful XD

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot probably know this already, but Solomon is based on the king Solomon, one of the most famous rulers known to man. During his time, and even now, he was renowned for his great wisdom. He also appears quite a lot in One Thousand and One Nights. As quoted by wikipedia:

Quote Quote:
    A well-known story in the collection One Thousand and One Nights describes a genie who had displeased King Solomon and was punished by being locked in a bottle and thrown into the sea. Since the bottle was sealed with Solomon's seal, the genie was helpless to free himself, until freed many centuries later by a fisherman who discovered the bottle. In other stories which are found in One Thousand and One Nights, protagonists who had to leave their homeland and travel to the unknown places of the world saw signs which proved that Solomon had already been there. Sometimes, protagonists discovered Solomon's words which aimed to help those who were lost and unluckily reached those forbidden and deserted places.
    Also, many of you might already know this as well, but all of the djinn (minus Ugo) that appear in this series are named after the 72 demons that appear in the Ars Goetia, one of five parts belonging to an ancient grimoire know as The Lesser Key of Solomon (also know as the Clavicula Salomonis Regis, or the Lemegeton). Once again I'll quote wikipedia:

Quote Quote:
    The first section, called Ars Goetia, contains descriptions of the seventy-two demons that Solomon is said to have evoked and confined in a brass vessel sealed by magic symbols, and that he obliged to work for him. It gives instructions on constructing a similar brass vessel, and using the proper magic formulae to safely call up those demons.
    It deals with the evocation of all classes of spirits, evil, indifferent and good; its opening Rites are those of Paimon, Orias, Astaroth and the whole cohort of Infernus. The second part, or Theurgia Goëtia, deals with the spirits of the cardinal points and their inferiors. These are mixed natures, some good and some evil.
    I was already quite familiar with the djinns' names due to playing a lot of rpgs (that and I'm actually really interested in magic, alchemy, hermeticism, mythology etc... ), however it took me a while to remember that the demons in the Ars Goetia had been sealed by king Solomon.
    Last edited by Crude; February 13, 2013 at 11:57 AM.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    The first section, called Ars Goetia, contains descriptions of the seventy-two demons that Solomon is said to have evoked and confined in a brass vessel sealed by magic symbols, and that he obliged to work for him. It gives instructions on constructing a similar brass vessel, and using the proper magic formulae to safely call up those demons.
    ^THIS. If you call recall Amon's last meeting with Aladdin, he did mentioned that the djinns shouldn't be materialized on earth, and they (solely) exist for King Solomon. This quote could be a hint for something "deeper" about the djinns.

Quote Quote:
    It gives instructions on constructing a similar brass vessel, and using the proper magic formulae to safely call up those demons.
    ^I assume that the magic formulae mentioned here is what Magnostadt and Al Sarmen have been collaborated, I mean the creation of Black Metal Vessels and Black Djinns

Quote Quote:
    protagonists who had to leave their homeland and travel to the unknown places of the world saw signs which proved that Solomon had already been there. Sometimes, protagonists discovered Solomon's words which aimed to help those who were lost and unluckily reached those forbidden and deserted places.
    ^Hmm, I suddenly thought of Solomon's Wisdom and the "Rukh's Guidance" and "Fate" which were mentioned in the manga before. I think this is where the concept of the "righteous path" came from

---------- Post added March 12, 2013 at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was February 10, 2013 at 10:43 AM ----------

Here's some interesting analysis of Magi's reference on the 1001 nights
    Quote Quote:
    By Candor:

A while back when I started reading Magi, I wrote a list of references to 1001 Nights and a small analysis on the world, based on info I know and from Wikipedia, and posted it on a couple of forums. Now that the anime has ended Balbadd and the world and the characters have expanded a bit more, I thought I'd post it here, while adding some stuff I learned while roaming around the internet. So here goes:

One Thousand and One Nights, aka Arabian Nights, is a collection of stories that was collected throughout the centuries mostly from the Middle East in general and India. Ohtaka Shinobu, the author of Magi, and after her previous serialization, Sumomomo Momomo, was cancelled, was planning to make a manga with old Rome as its setting, but she thought she can base her manga on One Thousand and One Nights while expanding its fictional world to include Rome, as well as other cultures and countries, such as Mongolia and China in its imperial era, while trying to show some of the cultures of those countries, such as clothes, or for example the goat milk in the Kouga.
    Here are some of the countries in Magi and the countries they're based on:

- Balbadd is based on old Baghdad. (Arabian Night's Alibaba is from Baghdad)
    - Kouga is based on old Mongolia. The founder of the Kouga, Chagan Khan, is based on Genghis Khan.
    - The Kou Empire is based on imperial China
    (from the manga)
    - The Rem Empire is based on ancient Rome. (Rem = Rome in Japanese) In ancient Rome, adoption was a common procedure, to either find a successor, to strengthen the ties between families, or to make allies.
    - Heliohopt, Sharrkan's country, is based on ancient Egypt. (though the country hasn't been mentioned much in the manga, its people were shown 2-3 times)
    - Magnostadt has a resemblance to Israel

The characters in Magi and who they're based on, whether from the stories or from real life:

Alibaba:
    - Son of a merchant
    - Married a poor woman
    - Alibaba was mentioned as a king's son in some other stories
    - Alibaba is from Baghdad
    - The story he's featured in is called "Alibaba and the 40 Thieves". Summery: (will be continued in Kassim's and Morgiana's parts)

A poor woodcutter who once heard a group of 40 thieves planning to go to a treasure cave. Alibaba went to the cave and found a magical gate, he said "Open Sesame" or "Iftah Ya Simsim" and the door opened for him, and he took the treasure and went back to his home.

Kassim:
    - Alibaba's greedy rich brother
    - Like Alibaba, from Baghdad and son of a merchant
    - He married a rich woman

After he made Alibaba tell him about the treasure, he went to the cave and was killed by the thieves. Alibaba went to the cave again and found his brother's dead body and brought it back home.

Morgiana or Morgana:
    -A slave in Kassim's household.
    - Morgiana was mentioned as Alibaba's wife in some versions of the story.

When Alibaba gave her Kassim's dead body, he told her to make others believe that he died a natural death. Morgana went to a tailor, Baba Mustafa, and made him stitch his body together to make it seem like a natural death, and Kassim was buried as if it was a normal death.

Sinbad or Sindbad:
    Known as Sinbad of the 7 Seas, and Sinbad the Sailor. His name is based on a province in Pakistan called Sindh. Sindria is probably based on that province too.

Aladdin:
    His story is called "Aladdin and the Magical Lamp". A poor man who got a magical lamp (from a man called Ja'far) that contains a blue Genie/Djinn. He used it to become rich and powerful, it's also mentioned that that lamp's owner is a legendary bird called Roc.

Ja'far:
    Ja'far Ibn Yahya, a real person from the Arab Abbasid Caliphate era. He was like a prime minister of Harun Al-Rashid, the man Al-Rashid trusted the most, his right hand. He was mentioned in 1001 Nights in a couple of stories, often as a protagonist, an adventurer most of the time.

Solomon:
    A man with wisdom, wealth, powers and abilities to speak with Djinn and animals. He's a king in Judaism, a saint in Christianity, and a prophet in Islam. He is described as the third king of the United Monarchy, and the final king before the northern Kingdom of Israel and the southern Kingdom of Judah split. Solomon's sins, including idolatry and turning away from Yahweh (the national god of Israel in the Hebrew Bible), leads to the kingdom's being torn in two during the reign of his son Rehoboam.

Scheherazade: (An important character that'll appear later in the series, but knowing about her beforehand is more exciting)
    A legendary Persian queen, also said to be the story-teller of One Thousand and One Nights:

Scheherazade, a virgin that volunteered to be Shahryar's wife, a king who, because his previous wife was unfaithful to him, started marrying virgins and slayed them after one night of the marriage. In the first night Scheherazade told the king an exciting story, and left it unfinished. The king wanted to know how it ended, but Scheherazade told him she'll continue it in the next night, thus her life was spared for one day. In the next night she finished the first story, and started another exciting story and left it unfinished, and told him she'll continue it next night. She continued doing the same thing until one thousand and one nights passed, and she told him she has no more stories to tell. The king fell in love with Scheherazade in those 1001 nights, and had 3 kids with her. So, having been made a wiser and kinder man by Scheherazade and her tales, he spared her life, and made her his Queen.

Some plot-related stuff:

Djinn: The jinn, or genies, are spirits mentioned in the Qur'an and Islamic theology who inhabit an unseen world in dimensions beyond the visible universe of humans. Together, the jinn, humans and angels make up the three sentient creations of God. Like human beings, the jinn can also be good, evil, or neutrally benevolent.

Rukh (ルフ rufu): The word might a wordplay for Roc and Ruuh:
    Roc: A giant legendary white bird that, according to some legends, can carry an elephant in its talons high into the air and drop him so that he is smashed to pieces. He was shown in the fifth voyage of Sinbad the Sailor as a bird who destroyed entire ships because his giant eggs were destroyed.
    Ruuh: Arabic for Soul.

Quote Quote:
    Muslim_Otaku said:
    In Islamic Theology the Ruh, is the undying soul of man, Blown into Adam, the Souls of each person to come after him were taken from his back, displayed as orbs for him to see.
    Solomon's Wisdom: Solomon's most ascribed qualities was his wisdom. According to the Bible (1 Kings 3:4-9 , 3:11-12), Solomon asked God for the ability to discern between good and evil, and since Solomon didn't ask for other things like wealth or immortality or death for his enemies, but wanted discernment in administering justice, God answered his wish.
    A popular story of his wisdom, known as the Judgement of Solomon: Two women came before Solomon to resolve a quarrel over which was the true mother of a baby. When Solomon suggested they should divide the living child in two with a sword, one woman said she would rather give up the child than see it killed. Solomon then declared the woman who showed compassion to be the true mother, and gave the baby to her.

Magic:
    Quote Quote:
    Muslim_Otaku said:
    In the Islamic version of the Story, Magic was an art/science that followed set rules and orders, producing set results after following a set pattern, whereas miracles go against the established order completely and cannot be given at the will of the user.

Magic follows the principles of nature, Miracles go against them to show divine power.
    You can read the whole article here: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=559369

15. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [Featured] The Magi Characters and their Counterparts

I don't know if someone had already mentioned this before...
    I learned that Aladdin is originally a Chinese, yes a native Chinese!! He's not some Arabian kid happened to lived in a Chinese town in the story of 1001 Nights, but he did actually born in the lands of China. SOURCE 1 SOURCE 2

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi! Ummm// I don't know where to put this one. The Character Design thread I made ages ago has been moved... so I think I could post this here since its also a Character thread *sweats*

Spoiler: Ren Kougyoku and Ka Koubun Design Concepts show

Source

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member obamamania's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe that Solomon's wisdom is so accurately placed into this manga. Aladdin, who was already basically Solomon's proxy, gained favor from Ugo (who plays the role of God here) by choosing friendship over a selfish, more greedy wish. I think that's my favorite part of this list.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Zoro Zoldyck's Avatar
    Country
    Iraq
    Post Thanks / Like

This stuff is really interesting.. Hopefully we can make more connections when more chapters come out, and yeah I agree the mangaka is brilliant!

New Reply