Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wano Kuni Discussion

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The backstory of Wanokuni's Samurai - the hints

Sorry if this already was posted, but I just noticed it today: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/17698/o...ranky-house/12

In the middle panel, a Samurai can clearly be seen on the far right. The top knot, gi, and katana are unmistakable. I wonder what it portends, that a Samurai was fighting alongside the Whitebeard Pirates and their allies, at Marineford.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BurnSchulz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wano Kuni Discussion

Isn't that one of Whitebeards Division Comanders, Izou? Alongside with all the other division Commanders.

But obviously his main weapons were pistols... so i really wonder who the one holding the Katana there might be.

Now i have a really good question i wish to ask Oda in the SPS!

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I forgot about Izo, the resemblance is unquestionable. Like you said though, Izo was never shown wearing a sword. I actually think there will be a connection between Whitebeard and Wano Kuni, that will be revealed over the course of Dressrosa and Zou. Wano is supposedly a closed country, yet Ace was allowed entry. What appears to be a samurai in the background of this page. I wonder if whatever led Kinemon to Zou is related to the aftremath of the war, and changes in the balance of power.

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

I've posted it elsewhere, but Wano Kuni is meant as a reference to Tokugawa Japan (1603 - 1868). A closed country, led by an official called the Shogun, that has successfully repulsed incursion by the outside world (World Government in One Piece, colonizing European powers in real life). Wa is an ancient name for Japan, Chinese in origin. Wano Kuni means Country of Harmony (or peace), an old name for Japan. Japan's isolation ended in 1853 when a hostile, outside power forcibly opened Japan, imposing humiliating "unequal treaties" on the Shogun. A civil war followed, between supporters of the Shogun and Emperor. The War ended in victory for the nobles loyal to the Emperor, resulting in the Meiji Restoration. Japan quickly modernized, forcing the suspension of the unequal treaties, and emergence of Japan as a major power.

My hypothesis is that Oda will follow the real history. After the War, Wano Kuni was opened by force, under humiliating terms. Based on Momo and Kin's reaction, there seems to be a connection between Kaido and Wa. What if Kaido's Smile Army was the equivalent of Commodore Perry's Black Ships? Kaido forcibly opened Wa to the outside world, imposed a treaty, claiming Wa as his territory? Kin, and his friends, are part of the resistance, loyal to the Shogun, but opposed to the foreigners. In real life that role would have been filled by the Shinsengumi.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I forgot about Izo, the resemblance is unquestionable. Like you said though, Izo was never shown wearing a sword. I actually think there will be a connection between Whitebeard and Wano Kuni, that will be revealed over the course of Dressrosa and Zou. Wano is supposedly a closed country, yet Ace was allowed entry. What appears to be a samurai in the background of this page. I wonder if whatever led Kinemon to Zou is related to the aftremath of the war, and changes in the balance of power.

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

I've posted it elsewhere, but Wano Kuni is meant as a reference to Tokugawa Japan (1603 - 1868). A closed country, led by an official called the Shogun, that has successfully repulsed incursion by the outside world (World Government in One Piece, colonizing European powers in real life). Wa is an ancient name for Japan, Chinese in origin. Wano Kuni means Country of Harmony (or peace), an old name for Japan. Japan's isolation ended in 1853 when a hostile, outside power forcibly opened Japan, imposing humiliating "unequal treaties" on the Shogun. A civil war followed, between supporters of the Shogun and Emperor. The War ended in victory for the nobles loyal to the Emperor, resulting in the Meiji Restoration. Japan quickly modernized, forcing the suspension of the unequal treaties, and emergence of Japan as a major power.

My hypothesis is that Oda will follow the real history. After the War, Wano Kuni was opened by force, under humiliating terms. Based on Momo and Kin's reaction, there seems to be a connection between Kaido and Wa. What if Kaido's Smile Army was the equivalent of Commodore Perry's Black Ships? Kaido forcibly opened Wa to the outside world, imposed a treaty, claiming Wa as his territory? Kin, and his friends, are part of the resistance, loyal to the Shogun, but opposed to the foreigners. In real life that role would have been filled by the Shinsengumi.
    Pretty much what i thought, only that Kaidou´s crew would be way more aggressive and violent which is maybe why Kinemon and his companions had to flee (he was talking about someone chasing them)

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Pretty much what i thought, only that Kaidou´s crew would be way more aggressive and violent which is maybe why Kinemon and his companions had to flee (he was talking about someone chasing them)
    Yeah, actual violence, rather than simple intimidation, would not be surprising. It sounds like someone chased him from Wa, and Zou was where he hoped to escape. Until the significance of Zou (other than being the Heart Pirates present location) is known, it is hard to say exactly why Kin was headed there. Things do make some sense if Wa was invaded, Kin and his friends were part of the resistance, and were forced into exile by the invaders. Zou could be a friendly island, where members of the resistance hoped to gather. If that is the case, Zou would be a safe place for the Heart Pirates to wait for their Captain, while preparing for the next stage of Law's plan.
    Last edited by Kaiten; March 11, 2013 at 10:51 AM.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Yeah, actual violence, rather than simple intimidation, would not be surprising. It sounds like someone chased him from Wa, and Zou was where he hoped to escape. Until the significance of Zou (other than being the Heart Pirates present location) is known, it is hard to say exactly why Kin was headed there. Things do make some sense if Wa was invaded, Kin and his friends were part of the resistance, and was forced into exile by the invaders.
    That would also mean that we could get another ally for the SHs against Kaidou which would make their victory in the end more believable.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    That would also mean that we could get another ally for the SHs against Kaidou which would make their victory in the end more believable.
    The Samurai would be powerful allies to have. If building alliances is as important in the New World as it seems, then befriending Wa will be important long after Kaido's defeat.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

It would be SO amazing if Luffy somehow is able to get Wano as an ally! </fanboy>
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, luffy getting wano as an ally would definitely have an impact. If it truly is a nation that managed to stay neutral and outside of the great age of piracy on its own then it has to be an enormously powerful military organization. Wano openly becoming allies with the strawhats would effectively end that neutrality which they have had and make them actual enemies to the yonko and the world government and at least frowned upon by the revolutionaries. The strawhats are already doing a bunch of stuff dangerous enough to throw the world as a whole into chaos, adding a military powerhouse like wano to the equation would be something of unfathomable consequences.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Ont hat note, I'd love to see Wano protected by some incredibly fierce weather in a way that parallels how one of the major reasons Japan was able to stay independent as long as it was was the stormy seas of the Korean Strait that sunk the ships of invading armies like China (Even if the samurai might've been stronger warriors on average, there was no way they'd win against the sheer force of china if they had been able to land most of their fleets) and crippled their forces (this is what the term kamikaze (divine wind) originally referred to before the suicide planes). In real life, a big reason that the events in Japan occured was the "black ships" you'll often hear being referred to in anime when they talk about the topic. Basically, improvements in ship building spurred by industrialization allowed big fleets to invade the country much more readily than older ships. And given that Kaidou's crew seems to use a lot of higher tech weapons and possibly even cyborg stuff, it'd be interesting if he had figured out a way to breach said weather conditions. I could see this working because of all the parallels between Japan and Wano as well as the new world already being infamous for extreme weather conditions.

by aaronrules

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Considering how unstable the weather seems in the New World, that is entirely possible. Something similar has been done befoe. Amazon Lily is protected by the calm belt. Kamikaze like weather protecting the approach to Wa would be cool. Kamikaze only applies to Japan's west coast though. The Black Ships arrived on the Pacific coast. Weather would not be enough to protect Wa from similar invasion.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity matzik1212's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    It would be SO amazing if Luffy somehow is able to get Wano as an ally! </fanboy>
    That's gonna happen for sure , we're talking about Luffy here so it's a given already

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Not necessarily.... zoro has shusui with him which is bound to be a sore point when they actually reach wano. More so, zoro swore to never speak of his battle with ryuma if I recall.
    http://www.mangareader.net/103-2574-...apter-467.html

Zoro just barely might get the samurai to believe him if he tells the story but if he really pretends the fight never happened then the whole wano trip and relation might be ruined by just this. And it is a big deal, enough to make kinemon attack zoro and he specifically told us the whole country was in tears when this happened. This is bound to be funny.

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matzik1212 View Post
    That's gonna happen for sure , we're talking about Luffy here so it's a given already
    Luffy befriends everyone. If he doesn't leave Wano as a friend, it would be a series first.

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Not necessarily.... zoro has shusui with him which is bound to be a sore point when they actually reach wano. More so, zoro swore to never speak of his battle with ryuma if I recall.
    http://www.mangareader.net/103-2574-...apter-467.html

Zoro just barely might get the samurai to believe him if he tells the story but if he really pretends the fight never happened then the whole wano trip and relation might be ruined by just this. And it is a big deal, enough to make kinemon attack zoro and he specifically told us the whole country was in tears when this happened. This is bound to be funny.
    Misunderstandings like that are always resolved by arcs end.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

^Not necessarily. The strawhats do not actually care about being heroes at large.... Take the skypeia arc... well, they are remembered as heroes however as far as the strawhats are concerned they stole a bunch of gold in pretty much the same manner the worst kind of pirate would loot an island. In other arcs they have made peace with a few specific characters however at large they are still regarded as enemies. I guess there is a bit of everything around. I don't see how the situation can get resolved in this particular case... Even if zoro does speak of the fight he still has to tell the samurai that he burned the hero's body. I guess they could see that as a good thing but only if zoro does go into the details. I am of the idea that at least a plot device for the samurai to learn the actual truth of the events will be necessary here.

New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast