Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 68

Thread: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 94 and 95 Discussion/Predictions

  1. #31
    THE MH FOODIE 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Sai_the_Shaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,838
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 94 and 95 Discussion/Predictions

    lol what Asky said Fayte...

    not a translation problem...it's a Konomi Engrish problem >.> which is actually a bit surprising since he supposedly has an english speaker on staff

  2. #32
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 94 and 95 Discussion/Predictions

    Maybe the point is that Byodouin's English sucks.

  3. #33
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fayte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,758
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 94 and 95 Discussion/Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Sai The Shaman
    not a translation problem...it's a Konomi Engrish problem >.> which is actually a bit surprising since he supposedly has an english speaker on staff
    The text itself was not properly translated into English, so it is a translation problem. The text on the page does not need to be Japanese for it to be a translation problem. Japanese people writing Engrish is a problem. My argument is, we English speakers should be editing the grammar of the text to make sense of it. We already know what he is trying to say. "Pirates of the Americans" is just nonsensical in the context of his second technique's name.
    Last edited by Fayte; February 04, 2013 at 01:20 AM.

  4. #34
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member -Ken-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Country
    Thailand
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,361
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 94 and 95 Discussion/Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Fayte View Post
    The text itself was not properly translated into English, so it is a translation problem. The text on the page does not need to be Japanese for it to be a translation problem. Japanese people writing Engrish is a problem. My argument is, we English speakers should be editing the grammar of the text to make sense of it. We already know what he is trying to say. "Pirates of the Americans" is just nonsensical in the context of his second technique's name.
    No, it is properly translated into English. It's written in English in the 1st place. I don't get what you mean by not properly translated into English. If Krauser's English aren't broken, and Byoudonin tech name is, then it might be on purpose. Byoudonin can have Engrish tech if he want. You can continue with you fan way of modifying the name. But you really can't expect others to do the same. It's hardly a standard.

    Pirates of the American is written in Katakana. If you think the Japanese text say "Kaizoku", it doesn't. It straight up write "Pirates" in katakana, then it'll be a translation as you said. However, the Japanese text you saw next to Pirates of the American is pretty much writing the Pirates of the American in Japanese.
    Most of the thing I post is probably assumption if it's not a fact that I support using some evidence from the manga.

    If you knows you're on my ignore list and you quote my post, there's high chance I would ignore you. Or answer you and not look at your response.

  5. #35
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Beika City
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 94 and 95 Discussion/Predictions

    @Brandnewkid
    I'm stunned that you can't even tell there are slight tier systems in PoT.
    Its obvious as hell.

    The same way nobody fears Kamio but people fear Oni is a perfect example of tiering.
    You say anything can happen but mention the main character Ryoma.
    How about this, Yuuta wipes Sanada 6-0, Ootori wipes Yukimura 6-0, Mukahi wipes Akutsu 6-0, Oishi wipes Atobe 6-0, Higashikata wipes Niou 6-0.
    All in the next chapter.
    Seem legit to you?
    Konomi can do that if he wants to sure. But he would have ZERO way of explaining it and it is something OBVIOUSLY wont happen.
    Why? Because they are at different levels.

    The results I mentioned WILL NEVER happen in the very next chapter. You can bet the lives of everyone you know and mine for that matter.
    Tiers do exist in PoT. You might need to re-read the story if you didn't notice tiers.

  6. #36
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fayte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,758
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 94 and 95 Discussion/Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by -Ken- View Post
    No, it is properly translated into English. It's written in English in the 1st place. I don't get what you mean by not properly translated into English. If Krauser's English aren't broken, and Byoudonin tech name is, then it might be on purpose. Byoudonin can have Engrish tech if he want. You can continue with you fan way of modifying the name. But you really can't expect others to do the same. It's hardly a standard.

    Pirates of the American is written in Katakana. If you think the Japanese text say "Kaizoku", it doesn't. It straight up write "Pirates" in katakana, then it'll be a translation as you said. However, the Japanese text you saw next to Pirates of the American is pretty much writing the Pirates of the American in Japanese.
    I don't think you understand what I mean by "translation," so I am going to explain what the word means. Translation is a mathematical term that means to move something left, right, up, or down, without rotating it in any way. In the language world, it means the same thing. It is the movement of words across a language without changing (rotating) the original meaning.

    That said, a panel in a manga written in English does not mean it isn't a translation. All it means is the mangaka is doing the translating himself. He is translating his original idea from the perspective of the Japanese language, into English. Hence why we get Engrish written down on the page when he just "goes for it" himself.

    Even though the text is English on the page, the context suggests we should be editing his grammar because the second technique (Snake Charmer of India) is proper English. This shows how Konomi is trying to make Byoudouin's techniques "______ of 'insert country here.'" "Americans" is not a country. "America," or more likely "Americas" are.

    In conclusion, based on the fact there is an "of the" in the text, I would guess the proper meaning of the technique is "Pirates of the Americas."
    Last edited by Fayte; February 04, 2013 at 09:56 AM.

  7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  8. #37
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brandnewkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    21
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    813
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 94 and 95 Discussion/Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Fayte View Post
    I don't think you understand what I mean by "translation," so I am going to explain what the word means. Translation is a mathematical term that means to move something left, right, up, or down, without rotating it in any way. In the language world, it means the same thing. It is the movement of words across a language without changing (rotating) the original meaning.

    That said, a panel in a manga written in English does not mean it isn't a translation. All it means is the mangaka is doing the translating himself. He is translating his original idea from the perspective of the Japanese language, into English. Hence why we get Engrish written down on the page when he just "goes for it" himself.

    Even though the text is English on the page, the context suggests we should be editing his grammar because the second technique (Snake Charmer of India) is proper English. This shows how Konomi is trying to make Byoudouin's techniques "______ of 'insert country here.'" "Americans" is not a country. "America," or more likely "Americas" are.

    In conclusion, based on the fact there is an "of the" in the text, I would guess the proper meaning of the technique is "Pirates of the Americas."
    Konomi did it that way on purpose. He's not an idiot, he knows good English from Engrish. Look at how Ryoma and Krauser speak. Chances are he was making a reference to Pirates of the Caribbean.

    Also, has anyone noticed that Konomi doesn't explain these techniques through side characters or gawkers anymore?
    Last edited by Brandnewkid; February 04, 2013 at 04:23 PM.

  9. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  10. #38
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Beika City
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 94 and 95 Discussion/Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandnewkid View Post
    Also, has anyone noticed that Konomi doesn't explain these techniques through side characters or gawkers anymore?
    Exactly what I've noticed. He did with Ochi.
    But after Ochi we didn't have anyone give us a breakdown on Tohno's Execution Methods one-by-one, Duke's Homerun got the *Seems Legit* treatment and was ignored, even though it is pretty much the most powerful Forehand in the series.
    We haven't had a breakdown on the backstory's of Tohno, Kimijima or Duke either.

    I think I mentioned this to Kaoz and its really probably just down to lack of panels in a monthly manga? I don't know if thats a good enough excuse or not.

  11. #39
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member LetalHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Country
    Spain
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,476
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 94 and 95 Discussion/Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    Exactly what I've noticed. He did with Ochi.
    But after Ochi we didn't have anyone give us a breakdown on Tohno's Execution Methods one-by-one, Duke's Homerun got the *Seems Legit* treatment and was ignored, even though it is pretty much the most powerful Forehand in the series.
    We haven't had a breakdown on the backstory's of Tohno, Kimijima or Duke either.

    I think I mentioned this to Kaoz and its really probably just down to lack of panels in a monthly manga? I don't know if thats a good enough excuse or not.
    It's just like that, Konomi is a lazy bastard that he only releases a few chapters and pages for a monthly manga, who should deserve and have wayyy more pages and chapters

  12. #40
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kaoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,253
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 94 and 95 Discussion/Predictions

    What kind of breakdown do you expect for those techniques? They're all pretty obvious. Strong forehand, shots that are aimed various points of the opponent's body, somehow splitting the ball. You don't need an explanation for that, you just see what they do. Ochi's stuff was a bit less obvious, so we got an explanation for it.

  13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  14. #41
    THE MH FOODIE 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Sai_the_Shaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,838
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 94 and 95 Discussion/Predictions

    for shot explanation, Duke Homerun doesn't really need an explanation...it's not like Gin'a multiple levels of Hadoukyuu ever got an explanation other than they're super powerful Hadoukyuu...

    Duke Homerun is just a super powerful shot, no technique behind it.

    Tohno's execution techniques for the most part needed no explanation since they're all visual and some what self explanatory. He hits you in specific parts with the ball in which the sum total makes you unable to move etc.

    For the crazy multi shot techniques...I just think Konomi can't think of an explanation even pseudo scientifically plausible...

    EDIT: I realized I kinda just repeated what kaoz said >.>...

  15. #42
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brandnewkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    21
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    813
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 94 and 95 Discussion/Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
    What kind of breakdown do you expect for those techniques? They're all pretty obvious. Strong forehand, shots that are aimed various points of the opponent's body, somehow splitting the ball. You don't need an explanation for that, you just see what they do. Ochi's stuff was a bit less obvious, so we got an explanation for it.
    Pirates of the American is obvious? "X-Ball" is obvious?

    Before he'd at least attempt to explain his crazy shots. Sure it'd be BS but still. At least be consistent. Don't just jump to Inazuma 11-type techniques and just have blatantly supernaturally powered moves out of nowhere. Heck, the first time I watched Inazuma 11 and seen the main character create a giant hand made of energy to catch the ball even I was pissed.

  16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  17. #43
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kaoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,253
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 94 and 95 Discussion/Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandnewkid View Post
    Pirates of the American is obvious? "X-Ball" is obvious?
    It's about as obvious as saying that Rai lets Sanada move at the speed of light. Do we know how he does it? No, he just does.

  18. #44
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Beika City
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 94 and 95 Discussion/Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
    What kind of breakdown do you expect for those techniques? They're all pretty obvious. Strong forehand, shots that are aimed various points of the opponent's body, somehow splitting the ball. You don't need an explanation for that, you just see what they do. Ochi's stuff was a bit less obvious, so we got an explanation for it.
    Way to jump the gun.
    Did I say that I need them?
    However, traditionally in PoT we were given a lot more explanations on things. Whether we needed explanations or not.

    Ochi got good treatment with Mental Pressure and Mach Serve and we got his background too.
    We've had a big lack of background info on characters in SPoT. Fact.
    Even with Gin's Hadoukyuu's we had side characters giving statements on Gin's abilities.

    Not saying that I personally need it, but usually we had that stuff explained. Which looking back I think was a big part of matches.
    G10 started off well as the Data guys began explaining a lot on Ochi and Mouri but they went silent afterwards for some reason.
    Although I would be silent in this crowd right now if I saw the court set on fire.

    I mean, look at Taira Yoshiyuki's Bakyuun. Whilst we were told Rai had random spin, Bakyuun has zero-explanation.
    G10 Challenge has been done well and I seriously love this arc, but prior to this we had been lacking in explanations.

    Just the whole Washio/Suzuki VS WoK lack of clarity is an example, Matsudaira's Flower Serve. WTF.
    Was their seriously nobody who wanted to talk about a BACKHAND SERVE?
    If that was in PoT now... We would have guys give mini-essays and all kind of stuff.

    And as for Tohno it was more than detailed enough for me.

    ---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
    It's about as obvious as saying that Rai lets Sanada move at the speed of light. Do we know how he does it? No, he just does.
    We were then told it was a special movement which puts pressure on his legs by Yuki. We still don't know how he does it but we get some kind of reasoning the move.
    So even Rai right now is more legit than stuff like:

    "They're playing with just one ball... right?" or "Am I seeing things? Are there really 10balls?".
    I'm sorry but these sort of questions are too far out there for kids in the audience of a tennis match between some High School kids and Middle School kids.

    Why should an object like a tennis ball multiply for no reason? I think that is more urgent than almost any move in the serious.
    However I have faith that Konomi will explain that eventually.

  19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  20. #45
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brandnewkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    21
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    813
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 94 and 95 Discussion/Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
    It's about as obvious as saying that Rai lets Sanada move at the speed of light. Do we know how he does it? No, he just does.
    All right, but even then Rai was given some sort of humanity in the form of a crippling side effect. These new moves, namely X-Ball and the like, are clearly mystic superpowers. I can understand Rai, because Sanada's a martial art practicioner and what not, so I can understand a technique that involves his speed, but something where the ball just uses Shadow Clone Jutsu is ... out there.

New Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts