Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Assistant Artist! Backgrounds, background characters, and speech bubbles...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner KyuRyu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Assistant Artist! Backgrounds, background characters, and speech bubbles...

Okay, so I have this manga that I'm willing to do or die. This one to be exact :

This one.

Though I feel like I do major characters and details with a high enough degree of speed and quality for my preferred art style, I can't do background fast enough or good enough. And adding speech bubbles and text just plain slows me to a crawl.

Here, I have noticed a lot of the artists around are actually really good at backgrounds, so I figured I'd ask here. I am sad to say that I have no means of payment, though I do plan on one day publishing this... so maybe if you're willing to wait on an unsure thing haha...

Examples below.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Assistant Artist! Backgrounds, background characters, and speech bubbles...

Small bump

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member DoctorApollo's Avatar
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

The thign is, in the western amateur community it's far more common to be experienced at drawing characters and only the better artists can draw backgrounds well. So if you're looking for a guy that can draw backgrounds well, that guy is probably a better artist than you, so he might not be happy about just being your assistant. That's why I think you're having a hard time finding someone. Until you're of a level where your projects are extremely promising, there's little hope people would be willing to be assistants. For now, you shoild take on the whole project by yourself. Well, at least that's my advice.

MangaHelper 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Farfalla's Avatar
    Country
    Wallis & Futuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Hm, but on the other hand, maybe he'll find someone that's willing to practice and evolve with him. Then that person could work on backgrounds. But I agree with you, blade, that's a good tip.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Its more of a time consuming thing, really. I find I spend a lot of time doing the backgrounds of panels and figured I would see if there was a chance for another person's help (Yeah a long shot, but trying is more than expecting things to work out anyways.) to speed the process up. And it was only an attempt, I'm confident enough in my ability to do it myself if nothing presents itself.

New Reply