Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Tower of God Chapter 131 Discussion/132 Predictions

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tower of God Chapter 131 Discussion/132 Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    Technically, all Rachel's done is follow the Tower's rule about betraying others to get ahead.
    Which rule is that? The one which we've seen people talk about without any actual basis?

However, the reasons for which she's done it are a bit questionable. She could've climbed normally with Baam and his team.
    If she wants to get away from him which she did, why would she do that? If you have a batshit crazy stalker like Baam, what are you supposed to do? Let them follow you?

There's no way to normally exit the Tower, so it's not as if Baam really would've stopped climbing.
    There might not be a way to enter the Tower, but people can stop climbing and return to the parts of the tower that are separate from the areas in which people take tests.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by abc1233 View Post
    Yeah I think so too, that could be what causes the opening for Horyang to open up. It could also tie in to FUG's plans to make him into a true slayer, hell that could have been the purpose of Koon coming from the start. If FUG wanted to they could have killed Koon with ease, but considering their method it doesn't seem as though their plan was to kill Koon but more for Baam to watch them do it.
    What if Baam didn't follow Koon though? Would they have still attacked Koon? There seem to be quite a number of massive holes in this plot.

Perhaps you're right and that in order to actually become a Slayer, you need to murder people out of anger and revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by 0Xellos View Post
    Aw man. FUG is so screwed when Baam gets strong enough.
    When's that going to be? A couple of hundred years? Baam needs to become a top 10 High Ranker before that can happen.

Yes, there's a problem there. If Baam and all of his friends eventually rose to the heights of top High Rankers, they could actually fight FUG and Baam wouldn't have to attack Zahard or something. Anyway, in order to access Zahard, you'd have to invade the palace, defeat the guards, and overcome multiple top 20 High Rankers, so it's kind of a questionable end game.

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    Which rule is that? The one which we've seen people talk about without any actual basis?

If she wants to get away from him which she did, why would she do that? If you have a batshit crazy stalker like Baam, what are you supposed to do? Let them follow you?

There might not be a way to enter the Tower, but people can stop climbing and return to the parts of the tower that are separate from the areas in which people take tests.
    You've never heard of unwritten rules? It's been discussed over and over throughout ToG.

You seem to want Rachel to end up being innocent. Technically, as Baam was the one chosen by the Tower and not Rachel, he's not really the stalker. :P

Yes, but if Rachel kept climbing, do you really think that Baam would've stopped climbing? If he wanted to be with her, then he would've followed her up the Tower.

Spoiler show

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You've never heard of unwritten rules? It's been discussed over and over throughout ToG.
    I'm saying the series has said it but we haven't seen a single instance of when it has been advantageous to betray your team.

You seem to want Rachel to end up being innocent.
    I said that there are things that could explain her wanting to get the hell away from Baam, not that she is justified in trying to kill him. (Who knows if she thought she was killing him or not. If she was in on FUG's plan, she could just want him to think he was trying to kill him.)

That she just killed Dan in cold blood ends any chance of her being "innocent".

Technically, as Baam was the one chosen by the Tower and not Rachel, he's not really the stalker. :P

Yes, but if Rachel kept climbing, do you really think that Baam would've stopped climbing? If he wanted to be with her, then he would've followed her up the Tower.
    That Rachel was not the one chosen doesn't make Baam's chasing of her any less creepy. She wants him to leave her the hell alone and she sees that nothing short of death will prevent his chase. How would you feel if you found out that someone would never stop following you until they are dead? I'd say not particularly happy.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm saying the series has said it but we haven't seen a single instance of when it has been advantageous to betray your team.
    In the situations where Rachel has betrayed her team, tell me how it hasn't been advantageous for her? Also, you don't necessarily have to betray your team, it could just be another person.

I said that there are things that could explain her wanting to get the hell away from Baam, not that she is justified in trying to kill him. (Who knows if she thought she was killing him or not. If she was in on FUG's plan, she could just want him to think he was trying to kill him.)
    So, you seem down with Rachel betraying others then, right? :P

You very much seem to want Rachel pushing Baam out of the bubble to be justified. Maybe you're trying to say something else, but that's how it's coming across.

Hwa Ryun told Rachel that she'd succeed by getting rid of Baam, so Rachel thought that she was killing Baam.

Then what have you been trying to say this whole time? You want Rachel to be justified in her actions, but then admit that she appears to be a character who's solely self-interested, so she's not exactly justified in her actions. She didn't need to kill Dan, for example.

That Rachel was not the one chosen doesn't make Baam's chasing of her any less creepy. She wants him to leave her the hell alone and she sees that nothing short of death will prevent his chase. How would you feel if you found out that someone would never stop following you until they are dead? I'd say not particularly happy.
    Rachel went and found Baam in the first place and then continued to visit him. She taught him about things. If Rachel didn't want to see Baam, she could've just left him ages ago. It's also better to climb the Tower with friends and you'd have to say that Rachel was originally Baam's friend. She also appeared angry that Baam made it into the Tower, and then we also learned that she was extremely jealous that Baam was chosen instead of her.

Spoiler show

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member abc1233's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a single instance? Honestly? So I guess Rachel betraying Baam to climb the tower with the help of FUG wasn't advantageous? Or Parakewl and the other guy running away whilst Quant was busy with Hatsu? Or when Androssi prepared to kill the other fishermen on her team so she could get to the next floor more easily? Or what about now when Rachel got rid of the guy who was planning to get rid of her?

If Rachel was so creeped out by Baam chasing her, then why didn't she say anything to him? She did not express her dislike of him chasing her at any point. Also, why did she not want Baam to take on the steel eel on the first floor? Seems a bit weird to be scared for your stalker's life.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

In the situations where Rachel has betrayed her team, tell me how it hasn't been advantageous for her? Also, you don't necessarily have to betray your team, it could just be another person.
    That has had nothing to do with the test and is an extremely unique situation. Once you have a group formed, we have yet to see a reason why someone would gain from betraying them. (A team which has been formed to watch you and eventually betray you doesn't count)

Leave a team because it sucks and is holding you down? Sure, but there hasn't been a single situation in which it has been advantageous to betray someone outside of the 2nd floor position tests.

For there to be a reason to betray someone, tests have to be such that not everyone on a team passes. (e.g. you have an 8-member team but only 4 people pass. Once again, what happened during the position test.)

You very much seem to want Rachel pushing Baam out of the bubble to be justified. Maybe you're trying to say something else, but that's how it's coming across.
    I'm saying it isn't evil. It is wholly understandable if not necessarily the correct thing to do though I can't think of what else you do if you are being stalked by someone who will never ever leave you alone. (I'm not sure if the tower has a police force to which you can report Baam)

Hwa Ryun told Rachel that she'd succeed by getting rid of Baam, so Rachel thought that she was killing Baam.
    I don't recall the specific words used, but "getting rid of Baam" doesn't mean he is dead. If he thinks she betrayed him and thus wouldn't follow her anymore, she would be rid of him.

Then what have you been trying to say this whole time? You want Rachel to be justified in her actions, but then admit that she appears to be a character who's solely self-interested, so she's not exactly justified in her actions. She didn't need to kill Dan, for example.
    I'm saying she is more complex than simply being pure evil/crazy.

"Killing" Baam is in a gray area. She wanted him to leave her alone and he refused. What else is she supposed to do? Let him follow her forever because he wants to? What in the hell gives him the right to make that demand of her?

Killing Dan is out of convenience, so it is pure evil.

Rachel went and found Baam in the first place and then continued to visit him. She taught him about things. If Rachel didn't want to see Baam, she could've just left him ages ago.
    When she tried to leave, he wouldn't let her and followed her...

It's also better to climb the Tower with friends and you'd have to say that Rachel was originally Baam's friend.
    I do not. We don't know why she was with him at the start of the series.

She also appeared angry that Baam made it into the Tower
    Because she told him to let her go and he wouldn't.

and then we also learned that she was extremely jealous that Baam was chosen instead of her.
    How would you like to be told that it is an accident that you are allowed to chase your dream and that the spot should have gone to someone who doesn't care about it at all?

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

She did not express her dislike of him chasing her at any point.
    I'm not going to go through the series to see if she ever explicitly said it, but she made it very clear. Baam knew she didn't want to be followed.

Also, why did she not want Baam to take on the steel eel on the first floor? Seems a bit weird to be scared for your stalker's life.
    Wait, so since she might not have wanted to see him die in front of her at one point, she isn't allowed to want him to leave her alone? And him taking on the steel eel is what cemented that he would rather die than not stalk her which is a huge escalation.
    Last edited by Reclaimer; February 10, 2013 at 04:44 PM.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

That has had nothing to do with the test and is an extremely unique situation. Once you have a group formed, we have yet to see a reason why someone would gain from betraying them. (A team which has been formed to watch you and eventually betray you doesn't count)

Leave a team because it sucks and is holding you down? Sure, but there hasn't been a single situation in which it has been advantageous to betray someone outside of the 2nd floor position tests.

For there to be a reason to betray someone, tests have to be such that not everyone on a team passes. (e.g. you have an 8-member team but only 4 people pass. Once again, what happened during the position test.)
    We've given you examples of betraying people and it working out, but you just insist on saying that it's not true. I don't know what to say to you anymore.

I'm saying it isn't evil. It is wholly understandable if not necessarily the correct thing to do though I can't think of what else you do if you are being stalked by someone who will never ever leave you alone. (I'm not sure if the tower has a police force to which you can report Baam)
    She couldn't have just spoken to him? No, she listens to Hwa Ryun and just seemingly kills Baam.

I don't recall the specific words used, but "getting rid of Baam" doesn't mean he is dead. If he thinks she betrayed him and thus wouldn't follow her anymore, she would be rid of him.
    How exactly was he supposed to survive there?

[QUOTE=Reclaimer;3296715]I'm saying she is more complex than simply being pure evil/crazy.

"Killing" Baam is in a gray area. She wanted him to leave her alone and he refused. What else is she supposed to do? Let him follow her forever because he wants to? What in the hell gives him the right to make that demand of her?
    He didn't demand anything of her. She chose to kill him.

So you admit that Rachel is evil, but then say that she's justified in the next breath.

Perhaps it's not clear, but she chose to spend time with him.

How would you like to be told that it is an accident that you are allowed to chase your dream and that the spot should have gone to someone who doesn't care about it at all?
    It happens. Get over it. Rachel still got to go to the Tower. If she weren't such a coward, she could've done the nigh-impossible Ball Test.

Spoiler show

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member world is wide's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

At first thought FUG were rough in chasing their dream of taking down Zahard, but now it appears they are more of the fight fire with fire type. The tower seems permeated with a culture of betrayal and the most likely reason for that is because that is how Zahard's government stays in power (just speculating because there hasn't been many examples of loyal government), they are the example of what works the best in the tower.

Fight fire with fire is a sound tactic, but rubbish in a battle of philosophies. If FUG does succeed in transforming Baam into an opportunistic betrayer and bring down Zahard by being more Zahard like then nothing is solved. Rather FUG will just make the reality they abhor more abhorrent.

Doubt Baam going down that path though as the author is against too much gloom in his afterwards, and even Koon dying instead of having some trick (high class armor was revealed so that probably saved him) would be pretty gloomy

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member abc1233's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm saying she is more complex than simply being pure evil/crazy.

Because she told him to let her go and he wouldn't.

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

I'm not going to go through the series to see if she ever explicitly said it, but she made it very clear. Baam knew she didn't want to be followed.

Wait, so since she might not have wanted to see him die in front of her at one point, she isn't allowed to want him to leave her alone? And him taking on the steel eel is what cemented that he would rather die than not stalk her which is a huge escalation.
    Well you should, because she has never explicitly said it, she never expressed a hatred towards Baam in front of him and explicitly told him to leave her alone. In the first chapter, she was apologising to Baam for leaving. You don't say that to a stalker you want to run away from.

No, when you're running away from someone who won't leave you alone, you don't wish that they avoid getting into a situation which would most likely result in them leaving you alone, especially given what we've seen of Rachel's character so far. Well yeah, he would rather die than not be with her, but you're making it out to be a bad thing. She saw someone who was willing to die for her and she used him, you're making it out as though Baam is the bad guy in all this.
    Last edited by abc1233; February 10, 2013 at 06:22 PM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member ThatoneGuy1277's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 0Xellos View Post
    Aw man. FUG is so screwed when Baam gets strong enough.
    Yeah, I mean the top Fug guys are well below Zahards rank, so if Baam gets stronger than Zahard and can kill him whats to stop him from getting strong enough to save all his friends and killing all the FUG heads
    ThatoneGuy1277

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I want Baam to kill everyone on FUG.

How they DARE to touch Koon.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Banned MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sizel View Post
    Well, even if he runs away, he'd still die.
    He messed with FUG, after all.
    Who said anything about running away? I know Dan wasn't exactly a genius, but joining FUG and waiting for a good opportunity to run away/betray/kill is better than insulting someone who is trying to decide wether to let you live or kill you, while you're lying on the floor with your hands tied on your back. Even escaping right away gave him more odds.

Besides, Dan never messed with FUG. "Dan didn't do anything wrong. Mr. Koon dragged him into this and his only fault is doing something he didn't really want to. He's innocent." That kinda goes against what you wrote. I don't think they would just let him leave if he refused normally, but even if he ran away immediately or later, I don't think tracking and killing some innocent guy who practically knows nothing that could endanger FUG would be some kind of a priority. If you're gonna discuss with me, at least type more than 2 sentences.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member s2k03's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Im pretty sure rachel was the one that ordered fug to kill koon and his team, cause i mean if she plan it and Fug itself planned the killing they would have killed dan regardless of what rachel said because it was their plan.

Also I dont get why they would try to kill koon... I mean koon being safe is the only thing that is making viole stay with fug, so if koon is dead then viole would have no reason to stay with them and they dont want him to leave. I dont understand the logic lol

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member mup's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by s2k03 View Post
    Im pretty sure rachel was the one that ordered fug to kill koon and his team, cause i mean if she plan it and Fug itself planned the killing they would have killed dan regardless of what rachel said because it was their plan.

Also I dont get why they would try to kill koon... I mean koon being safe is the only thing that is making viole stay with fug, so if koon is dead then viole would have no reason to stay with them and they dont want him to leave. I dont understand the logic lol
    it was actually mention how FUG operates in their description all doing their own thing but united under the same faith to kill Zahard and the 10 families

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

We've given you examples of betraying people and it working out, but you just insist on saying that it's not true. I don't know what to say to you anymore.
    Give me an example from a test I haven't already rejected or explain how the position test on the second floor isn't extremely different than anything else we've seen in the series.

1) You have artificially created teams.

Was Koon betraying his team by having Laure raised up the bridge? Or was he trying to make sure his real team passed the test?

2) It is the only test we've seen where it is not a team victory or defeat.

I'd love to see the characters put into situations where betraying each other during tests actually makes sense, but outside of one extreme outlier on a floor that is completely different than every other floor, we aren't getting it, so them acting like you have to betray people to climb the tower is absurd. Maybe it is true in the series, but we aren't seeing it.

She couldn't have just spoken to him?
    And he was going to listen? He knew she didn't want him following her and ignored that.

How exactly was he supposed to survive there?
    Well, he survived, so that's a stupid question. If she was told of FUG's plan (that's not that unlikely since she almost certainly joined FUG then), she would know he wasn't going to die.

He didn't demand anything of her. She chose to kill him.
    He implicitly demanded the right to stay with her. Forever.

So you admit that Rachel is evil, but then say that she's justified in the next breath.
    I never said she was justified. I explicitly have said she wasn't justified. I said it was understandable and that there was a lack of viable alternatives. That doesn't mean justified. Learn the difference or stop attempting to troll me.

Perhaps it's not clear, but she chose to spend time with him.
    Wow, that's impressive. You know things that we never actually saw in the series. We know literally nothing about why Baam was locked up, how she found him, or why she did what she did in regards to him. Without that, we don't know if she "chose" to spend time with him or not.

It happens. Get over it. Rachel still got to go to the Tower. If she weren't such a coward, she could've done the nigh-impossible Ball Test.
    I'm not hung up on it. Do what I said: Imagine yourself in her place.

And Rachel wasn't a coward for balking at taking the test. Headon was telling her to die. Not wanting to die does not make you a coward. Baam was also not brave for taking the test. If your life literally means nothing to you, it is not bravery to risk it. Note Evan's comments while observing Baam.

In the first chapter, she was apologising to Baam for leaving. You don't say that to a stalker you want to run away from.
    At that point he wasn't a stalker. He was a stalker when he followed her after she left.

you're making it out as though Baam is the bad guy in all this.
    In his chasing of her he IS.

New Reply
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast