Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: Is that really Akainu?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member dacookester's Avatar
    Country
    Ireland
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that really Akainu?

http://www.mangareader.net/one-piece/700/17

So I saw this page and firstly while reading it i assumed, as many others did, that this was marine fleet-admiral Sakuzaki.
    But then when i read it again I noticed a couple of things.

Firstly, Brannew adresses the man as Admiral and not Fleet-Admiral. I know this could easily be put down to a translation mistake but still it made me think.

Secondly, to my knowledge Sakuzaki did not smoke pre time-skip and he certainly did not have a beard. Though again the argument that could be taken is that he took up the habit during the skip and also grew the goatee.

Thirdly, I don't understand why his face isn't shown. The only possible reason i could guess for this is that maybe his face was damaged.

Though the obvious counter for this argument is the fact that the shirt and cap are the same as Sakuzaki's.

Let me know what you guys think.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is that really Akainu?

Anime Rules.
    Rule n1: All girls must have bit tits.
    Rule n2: All characters must keep the same clothes, with little to no variation over time.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member dacookester's Avatar
    Country
    Ireland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MissSuicideSheep View Post
    Anime Rules.
    Rule n2: All characters must keep the same clothes, with little to no variation over time.
    Though that's completely untrue for One Piece....

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eefrit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

When I first read it I thought it was a new admiral as well, but I'm sure it's Sakazuki now. It's the same nose structure and same flower lapels under the marine jacket. As for why his face isn't shown, I read theories by a couple people theorizing that he was blinded by Kuzan in their fight which is why he has his eyes closed on the 693 cover page.
    Last edited by eefrit; March 19, 2013 at 08:27 PM.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it´s him, Admiral is a mistranslation, it is Fleet Admiral. Furthermore, his face was already features in the "New Era" color spread alongside all important figures of or against the New Era. In addition, the right side of his face was also not shown on that color spread which leads me to believe that there is a change with it, like a scar for example.

Last edited by MiyamotoMusashi; March 20, 2013 at 01:33 AM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the argument of him not smoking before the time skip. The only time we saw him was during the battle at Marineford. It's too much to assume to know every one of his habits after seeing how he behaves in battle. Maybe if we saw him sitting in a bar or something...

Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!

(thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

he is 100% Akainu

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Regino's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Iam sure that it is Akainu.

Since we know that he is the current fleet admiral the sentence "I sent Fujitora" clearly indicates that it his him.
    Who else within the Marines (whom we dont know) has the power to sent someone powerful eoough to fight DD to Dress Rosa?
    The next sentence which supports this is that "he was contacted by Smoker" and because Smoker wanted to report to Akainu its most likly him.

So it can only be the Fleet Admiral

And of course there are some pictures that support the argumentation that this is Akainu
    Last edited by Regino; March 25, 2013 at 06:06 PM.
    "It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."

Henry Ford

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dacookester View Post
    Firstly, Brannew adresses the man as Admiral and not Fleet-Admiral. I know this could easily be put down to a translation mistake but still it made me think.
    Not necessairly an error but Admirals are usually adressed as "admiral" only when being called in western military structures. Japanese use name suffixes though and may use the rank though. Mangarule used "Fleet Admiral!!!", so let's a flaw in mangapanda translation.

Secondly, to my knowledge Sakuzaki did not smoke pre time-skip and he certainly did not have a beard. Though again the argument that could be taken is that he took up the habit during the skip and also grew the goatee.
    Well, Zoro lost his eye. He still is Zoro nonetheless. Sanji now has his other eye free. He still is Sanji. Nami's and Robin's hair grew, and Nami kept wearing trousers instead of skirts () but they still are who they were.

Thirdly, I don't understand why his face isn't shown. The only possible reason i could guess for this is that maybe his face was damaged.
    Oda hid his face for the most time. It's not surprising that much that Sakazuki uses his "standard pose" on his entrance.

Quote Originally Posted by MissSuicideSheep View Post
    Anime Rules.
    Rule n0: Someone will come up with weird interpretation upon discussing manga proving he/she never understood manga at all.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It is him. You would pick up smoking if you fought all out for 5 days against a colleague. Or maybe its medicinal

New Reply