Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2) , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "anime is not anime if it's not from japan!!" <--- true or false?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

"anime is not anime if it's not from japan!!" <--- true or false?

so, what do you guys think? there was this one individual who seemed rather vehement about it. the person was real angry about people calling animation NOT from japan anime... and here's what i replied:

i've never heard anyone call US animation "anime" before. when i hear the word anime, it usually connotes to japanese animation does it not? US animation is called... animation or comics, or cartoons.
    but i see why some people might call it anime if they're not familiar with the pop culture of anime. cuz i mean, anime could be seen as short for animation. i think it has to do with language... cuz for sure people don't call US comics mangas... manga is a japanese word. versus anime which just sounds, like i said before, like a shortened version of animation.

so yeah... what do you guys think. does it make everybody else super mad and disgruntled?
    the greatest sacrifice has been paid; and now we may awaken from our deepest slumber, and bask in the Light partaking in sweet fellowship for eternity.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity mugen's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "anime is not anime if it's not from japan!!" <--- true or false?

that's true if it's not from japan
    it's not anime
    example .
    is family guy anime?
    no it is not ..
    therefore if it's not from japan it's not anime
    click to join mangahelpers facebook group

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Azurel's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, I sorta went into an argument with a guy about this too. He keeps insisting that the anime I watch are cartoon and told me I shouldn't be embarrased about watching cartoon at my age. And I was like.. wtf.. I'm not embarrased. I do like cartoons and I'm not ashame to admit that either. Teen Titans and Shaolin Showdown are my favourite but was not the point. I got a little pissed because the anime in question is One Piece. The problem is, One Piece is dubbed (not by 4kids) when shown in the tv here so he thought that it was cartoon. And I told him it's originally japanese, you watched the dub version but I guess he doesn't want to seem stupid and kept insisting it's cartoon. He asked what's the difference between anime and cartoon.. And so I said anime are from Japan while cartoon are NOT. In which he said but technically they are the same thing because both are drawings that are animated.. At that point, I give up trying to knock some sense into him and said "Next time when you go to a japanese stall and you want to eat ramen, don't ask for ramen just say noodles."

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@azurel - i'm sorry you had to experience that.

see what really pushes my buttons is not when people don't know, and are called out on the mistake, but when they refuse to be respectful about an issue that is important to another and just brush it off...

the thing about the word "anime" i've noticed, is that it's one of those nuances in language. when you said the "ramen, noodles" thing, it made better sense. just like "manga and comics". when that guy refusesd to acknowledge anime as it is, he was basically refusing/denying another's culture, in this case, japan's culture. kinda like disrespecting the culture. and i don't wanna make the guy sound like he's some inconsiderate ignorant bastard, but i'm just saying it would do him better to be more aware and culturally sensitive to issues, not just with japanese culture, but in general.

this thing kinda stems off from the greater issue of racism, cultural appriopriation, and the problem with silencing an individual or a community for that matter (if you see this as what i just mentioned in the previous paragraph). some people might be like "oh it's no big deal", but trust me... it is when you're denying another's culture or history. and i've faced that so many times. very problematic i'd say... eh. i can't write anymore. i need to finish my app for study abroad.

if anyone agrees with what i said, i would love to hear your responses. even if you don't agree, please do respond.

the greatest sacrifice has been paid; and now we may awaken from our deepest slumber, and bask in the Light partaking in sweet fellowship for eternity.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member qwan3356's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with yall. the 1st time i ever heard of anime was when i got into japanese anime, All the US stuff we call Cartoons or comics, never called them anime, never will.
    Its like an unwritten rule or something, that u just pick up after awhile.
    All japanese work is anime, all US is cartoons, thats just how its been.
    When you say Anime, the first thing that runs through ppls head is Japanese shows like Naruto, Gundam, etc.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I say some shows that are made in the US can still be considered anime, but they have to deserve that title, and often it turns out that they are animated in korea anyway or something. So far the only two shows that deserve this honor IMHO are Teen Titans and Avatar: The Last Airbender I always refer to these two shows as anime and always will. And I will fight anyone who dares to insult them. (just kidding, I am a peace loving person)
    Blind dude rocks! click the link to find out why, I dare you
    Spoiler: awesome slashdot(and other) quote(s) show

Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had serious skirmishes with certain friends concerning this same topic. I really dont want to remember.
    1)
    But one thing that i remember which became an interesting bone of contention was will an animation not created in japan but animated by japanese animators be called anime?

2) And another-- what if a foreign themed animation (cartoon) is animated in Japan but the drawings and art are foreign? a good example is Airbender (of course here japan is korea- am i right?)-- will it still be a cartoon?

Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

i learnt the story is done for a US audience but animation is done in either Korea or Japan- right?

So if that was the case-- what is your opinion (this refers back to the point i wrote above)

and dont forget your opinions on the first point either.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Azurel's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kiddo7
    I say some shows that are made in the US can still be considered anime, often it turns out that they are animated in korea anyway or something. So far the only two shows that deserve this honor IMHO are Teen Titans
    Now that you mention it, their opening song sounds kinda jap to be but the voice are all squeaky, I couldn't really make it out. Well, again I wiki it and found out that Teen Titans is an example of an anime-influenced animation, (same goes to Airbender) so it basically can either be considered an anime, a cartoon or both. And I believed Teen Titans is also animated in Japan because they also have japanese seiyu.

Quote Originally Posted by venicia777
    But one thing that i remember which became an interesting bone of contention was will an animation not created in japan but animated by japanese animators be called anime?
    I think it's not as clear cut as made in Japan vs not made in Japan or made by japanese animator vs non-japanese animators. It was just easier to say anime is from Japan because the general consensus is that japanese animators in Japan follows the anime style. Actually,it doesn't matter where or who does it rather the style that was done. If a non-japanese animation emulates the style of anime, it can be considered anime.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

anime and manga that are korean are called "manhwa" so yeah... a little tidbit. some korean manhwas are very good though... (:

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Koru-Sensei's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Since almost everybody here is completely on the side that thinks that anime is ONLY anime if it was created in Japan... i have to disagree.

Anime is a "style" of animation. Let's imagine if you watched D.N.Angel... during the credits, you notice that the creator wasn't Yukiru Sugisaki, it was another person named Billy Joe. Just because the creator isn't Japanese or have a Japanese name and wasn't made in a studio in Japan doesn't mean the actual cartoon isn't considered "anime" now does it? Come on now, it's not like the art of folding paper is called something entirely different because the paper wasn't folded in Japan!!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

very good point Koru-Sensei. however, your analogy about origami doesn't really make sense and doesn't really pull through.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Koru-Sensei's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cairo
    very good point Koru-Sensei. however, your analogy about origami doesn't really make sense and doesn't really pull through.
    I was basically saying that folding a paper crane or whatever is called origami... no matter where the paper figure is folded.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it makes sense.
    Blind dude rocks! click the link to find out why, I dare you
    Spoiler: awesome slashdot(and other) quote(s) show

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Koru pretty much took the words out of my mouth.

I personally think anime is a style of art. There's specific features of tradition eastern and western animation/illustration/whatever.

For example, I consider animation such as Bleach or Avatar: The Last Airbender in the style of anime: exaggerated eyes, lineart, certain gag-humor, etc. Whereas something like Blade of the Immortal or Justice League is more of a cartoon, in my book. (Bad example for the Japanese part; I just can't think of any western-influenced Japanese animation right now X3;; )

Dunno; I think the entire argument is kinda stupid, honestly. I used to have to deal with that bullshit SO much when I was younger, but not so much anymore (hooray college-scene!)

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast