Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "anime is not anime if it's not from japan!!" <--- true or false?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "anime is not anime if it's not from japan!!" <--- true or false?

i agree with you acacia.

but it's surprising how heated some people can get. (:

i think this discussion is.. ooooooooovvaaaaa! (:

anime is anime. wateeeeevvaaaaz. lol.
    the greatest sacrifice has been paid; and now we may awaken from our deepest slumber, and bask in the Light partaking in sweet fellowship for eternity.

Celestial Belgian 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Koen's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

For me to speak of anime, anime has to be ALL japanese made...
    The biggest virtue is to support these Seven Deadly Sins in their fight!!!
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@ topic -- I think anime has to be from japan to be called anime i mean there are shows close to anime ((Avatar,Teen titans, Ben 10 , Teenage mutant ninja turtles (Not fast forward)) )) but i think for the most part anime is from japan.
    TVFanOnline the podcasting home for all your television needs from Soaps to Primetime hits and even movies TFO is your one stop shop for all your TV Related podcast needs

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by koenosaki
    For me to speak of anime, anime has to be ALL japanese made...
    HAH, good luck finding THAT.

'Cause, you DO know a lot of aspects of animation (coloring, music, etc.) are done in many countries ('sup Korea)

In any case, I think the term "anime" is a highly-characterized art style, like realism, or futuristic. Though I consider most cartoons from Japan "anime"

Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Acacia
    HAH, good luck finding THAT.

'Cause, you DO know a lot of aspects of animation (coloring, music, etc.) are done in many countries ('sup Korea)

In any case, I think the term "anime" is a highly-characterized art style, like realism, or futuristic. Though I consider most cartoons from Japan "anime"
    your point is well reasoned out acacia. You know, it is one of the reasons i asked some of the questions one the previous page.

I love this opinion.

Country
    South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by venicia777
    your point is well reasoned out acacia. You know, it is one of the reasons i asked some of the questions one the previous page.

I love this opinion.
    Ah, sorry; I missed your previous post (though I have no idea how; it's in such bright colors! >_<;; )

To answer your question though:

1. But one thing that i remember which became an interesting bone of contention was will an animation not created in japan but animated by japanese animators be called anime?

I think it can count as anime as long as the art itself is drawn in an anime style. For example, I'm Korean, and I draw. However, if I draw a very realistic comic-short, does that mean it's "manwha"? Sure, if you go to Korea, it'll be manwha, but that's because "manwha" means "comic" in Korean. However, it's not done in a manwha/manga/cartoon/exaggerated style. So, I think that a Japanese person can draw or animate something, but not have it automatically be considered "anime."

2. What if a foreign themed animation (cartoon) is animated in Japan but the drawings and art are foreign? a good example is Airbender (of course here japan is korea- am i right?)-- will it still be a cartoon?

Same as my answer in number 1, really.

In all honesty, trying to define what "anime" is is tough; there's the origin vs. style debate, and there's probably many others out there. There's a lot of factors to consider, and it's incredibly difficult to argue to someone who stubbornly thinks otherwise.

So, in short: think whatever the hell you want <3

MH's Socialworker 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member eni's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, do we start the Japanimation and Amerimanga debate again from a few years ago?

Heh, guess that term will just never become clear for all. I'm pretty fine with wikipedias explanation:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime#Definition
    Linguistically, the anime definition is subject to interpretation. In Japan, the term does not specify an animation's nation of origin or style; instead, it is used as a blanket term to refer to all forms of animation from around the world.[5] In English, main dictionary sources define anime as "a Japanese style of motion-picture animation" or "a style of animation developed in Japan".[6] Thus, non-Japanese works are sometimes called anime-influenced animation if they borrow stylistically from Japanese animation.

In western countries the word is used usually only to refer to animated programming of Japanese origin, with the term "cartoon" or "animated series" used for most other visual styles. The online anime database AniDB generally defines anime (in the singular form) as "an animated, professionally produced, feature film created by a Japanese company for the Japanese market".[5] However, some anime are co-productions with non-Japanese companies like the Cartoon Network. Thus, anime is no longer specific to the Japanese market.
    See:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime#Definition
    And for Avatar&Co...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime-influenced_animation
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origina...language_manga

And to be honest. Depending on the person I talk to, I call animes "Zeichentrick" (german term for animated series/movies, literally: character-trick), as well as I call US-animations "Zeichentrick". If it's not an anime fan as well, then I don't see the point to cause confusion by using different terms, especially when I talk to other parents and elders who are not familiar with Japanese media.

Besides the US term "cartoon" refres in my opinion to Warner Bros' and Disneys short cartoons and similiar stuff. I wouldn't call a more complex animated series or an animated movie that way, but that's 'cause I'm not a native speaker. If someone says cartoon in German, then I usually think about Tom&Jerry or Donald Duck.
    Same with the difference in Japanese and Western understanding of the term "anime", imho.

♥ Sorry, I'm Late. But I Got Lost On The Road Of Life. ♥

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Roanapur's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the terms cartoon and comic for both Japanese anime and manga, at least IRL and sometimes on the internet.

Personally I feel that making a big deal out of it is ridiculous when one considers that anime and manga are basically just cartoons and comics from Japan.

Is it such a crime to refer to them in the non-Japanophile way?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member krazykone12's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Big eyes, small mouth and from japan = anime

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner roninmedia's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I've watched some Vietnamese animation that is obviously influenced by the "anime" art style but I can't bring myself to like anime until I watched Japanese series. I've had a hard time actually finding non-Japanese anime that I like and I'm fairly picky overall in what Japanese series I actually watch.

It's a unique dichotomy when it comes to what you watch based on origin. For example, my sister and I regularly watch Asian dramas. She however, only watches Hong Kong and Korean dramas, refusing to watch Japanese drams. I on the other hand only watch Hong Kong and Japanese dramas; I've never watched a Korean drama.
    Last edited by roninmedia; December 03, 2007 at 10:01 AM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Nakor BlueRider's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Acacia View Post
    Koru pretty much took the words out of my mouth.

I personally think anime is a style of art. There's specific features of tradition eastern and western animation/illustration/whatever.

For example, I consider animation such as Bleach or Avatar: The Last Airbender in the style of anime: exaggerated eyes, lineart, certain gag-humor, etc. Whereas something like Blade of the Immortal or Justice League is more of a cartoon, in my book. (Bad example for the Japanese part; I just can't think of any western-influenced Japanese animation right now X3;; )

Dunno; I think the entire argument is kinda stupid, honestly. I used to have to deal with that bullshit SO much when I was younger, but not so much anymore (hooray college-scene!)
    This effectively sums up the thread IMO. After all, here's what Miriam-Webster has to say on the matter:

anime: a style of animation originating in Japan that is characterized by stark colorful graphics depicting vibrant characters in action-filled plots often with fantastic or futuristic themes

Key word is originating. The style started there, others picked it up. But more than that, I agree with Acacia's last like - it's a pointless argument. Whether you call it cartoons or anime, if you like the show, watch it, and if you don't, don't. The creator's country of origin has nothing to do with the quality of the show. While it is true of course that most good anime is from Japan, that's only because most anime altogether is from Japan. Since there's very little produced elsewhere, that of course means fewer quality ones in turn, which is why you don't come across much.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member conn-man's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

anime is the japanese word for animation.

the japanese alphabet cant recreate the -tion sound that is in the american word animation, but they can use the "letters" they have to construe the word anima or as we spell it anime. when animation was introduced or whatever to Japan they could not use the word animation so they say anime.

and to clear that up, if its animation from japan, its anime.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Acacia View Post
    Koru pretty much took the words out of my mouth.

I personally think anime is a style of art. There's specific features of tradition eastern and western animation/illustration/whatever.

For example, I consider animation such as Bleach or Avatar: The Last Airbender in the style of anime: exaggerated eyes, lineart, certain gag-humor, etc. Whereas something like Blade of the Immortal or Justice League is more of a cartoon, in my book. (Bad example for the Japanese part; I just can't think of any western-influenced Japanese animation right now X3;; )
    Heh, Blade of the Immortal has a very Japanese theme to it. I guess I know what your saying though.

And "manga" is technically a Filipino word, so its not like it originated in Japan. Although I think its a pretty universal word for Japanese comics.

Anime is animation from Japan. I dont care if some people believe that American cartoons can be called anime, but the term anime notates a cartoon from Japan. If it isnt from Japan, then it technically shouldnt be called anime. Just like shounen and seinen; Shounen manga are published in shounen magazines and seinen manga are published in seinen magazines. No matter how "seinen" or "shounen" a manga looks, its classification is all about its origination.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Windmillblade's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

afew years ago i would have agreed that if its not from japan its not anime but...the anime culture is becoming so big that it transcends the fact that only anime from japan is anime..plus if people try to make a anime style cartoon they always do so with someone who is a japanese anime person anyway so that it can still keep the anime feeling and depth. look at Afro Samurai
    it looks completely like any good anime except for the black samurai but it works.

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast