Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 752 by cnet128 , Bleach 587 (2) , Gintama 501 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: some good animes with strong female protagonists

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

some good animes with strong female protagonists

hellooooo~

i was wondering if someone could recommend some animes or mangas that have strong female protagonists... umm... i've heard about a couple... but just want to see what you guys think and maybe i can take your recommendation.

just a warning before you do recommend... please nothing like simoun or mai otome that have homosexual themes in them. i'm NOT a fan. (:

thank you for your help everyone~

Moved to General Anime Discussion. ~ Ayah
    the greatest sacrifice has been paid; and now we may awaken from our deepest slumber, and bask in the Light partaking in sweet fellowship for eternity.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Azurel's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: some good animes with strong female protagonists

ooo.. this was something I asked in another forum before.. most shounen protagonists were male but I would love to see more female protagonists.. but there wasn't much response.. so, I'm quite glad there's someone else who's searching for the same thing.. so far, my only recommendation would be Blood+, that's shounen-wise. For shoujo-wise, the best I can come up with is Perfect Girl Evolution.. I'm still on the lookout for more though

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Epul's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

How about sakura wars or Hana yori dango(meteor garden)

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

hehe the Godaime of Naruto is strong. -_- Literally. What "strong" are you referring to? Strong character? Strong will power? This is kind of subjective, right? Like, IMO.

Let's see... well Mai Hime doesn't have any lesbian hints. In Kare Kano, Yukino is a very aggressive girl, who has to be strong for her emotionally troubled boyfriend. NANA has pretty interesting girl characters (though there are a lot of differing views about their "strength"). Um... Bubblegum crisis? Priss Asagiri really kicked *ss.[br]Posted on: January 30, 2007, 11:20:42 PM_________________________________________________lol perfect girl evolution, you could try that one too. Though if you can't stand the art, you may skip it. frankly, that's the only thing stopping me from liking the whole thing.

Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I advise you to wait a coupla months. Claymore is on its way to becoming an anime. and i can assure you, it contains the most potent female protagonist in recent years

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member blasta's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

These three are my favorites and I just love them :

Revy - Black Lagoon
    Saber- Fate/Stay Night
    Yoko Nakajima (was weak and crying all the time in the beginning like the early episodes but soon became strong and eventually the emperor) - Juuni Kokuki/Twelve Kingdoms

BoH!
    Thank you to yFANTgirl.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Ichimaru Gin n Tonic's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

One that you must watch is Ergo Proxy. Re-L is one tough women. Natsuki Kuga from Mai-Otome (My Z-HiME) is tough, too. And i certainly dont wanna mess with Noa Izumi from Patlabor, Carmen99 from GunXSword is another name to mention. And of course there's Motoko Kusanagi from GiTS, Faye Valentine from Cowboy Bebop, Riza Hawkeye from FMA, Signum in Nanoha A's, Blue from Wolf's Rain. That's all i can think of now.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

wow! thanks everyone for the recommendations...

@ichimaru - i saw parts of Ergo Proxy, yeah Real is a strong character~ (: I've yet to watch Cowboy Bepop and FMA. I've seen some of Wolf's Rain, i hope to finish it some day... Thanks ichimaru

@blasta - i should try black lagoon... seems intense. i saw fate/stay night. that was a pretty interesting series... i didn't watch the last two episodes but i read the summaries. saber is a cool character... although i felt like that series lacked character development and the plot was kinda blah... but still, good series. (: juuni kokuki i'll try it sometime~ (: now talk about character development... whiny girl two empress. that's cool.

@indiana_mcemo - i read a summary of the claymore manga. sounds very interesting. i think i'll try reading it... seems sorta intense though... maybe too intense with all these crazy amazonian-esque women/monsters? no yuri right? but the story sounds intriguing so i'll try reading it~ (: thanks

@baboysai - naruto... too long... i can't get into it. at least not now... the number of episodes and chapters are just, too daunting. i think i'll pass.
    o and when i mean strong, it could mean in any way. usually strong willed with a sense of direction, like the female character can be whiny and then gradually attain those characteristics. but nothing where the female is too masculine. and it's subjective, open to interpretation of what you think strong women are, exactly IMO-type. errmm... yes. maybe i'll try mai-hime. i know there's yuri in mai-otome so i guess i just assumed there was in mai-hime... i've seen/read bits and pieces of kare kano... that does seem like a good series. nana manga is good. i love vivienne westwood now cuz of that darned manga. lol. bubblegum crisis? never heard of that one... maybe i'll give it a shot? thanks~

@epul: i saw the live drama of hana yori dango. funnnnaaay stuff. although KDRAMA IS BETTER! lol. but i'm biased cuz i'm korean. (: ermrmmm... sakura wars. it sounds familiar. thank you~

@azurel - i totally agree with you! blood+ was awesome! but not enough romance! lol. cant help it, i'm a sucker for romance... although action is awesome too and blood+ definitely had that. i kind of have a tendency to stop watching a series, and that happened with blood+. i stopped at like 15 or something, BUT... i did read the summaries and blogs. maybe i'll revisit it sometime in the future. music was amazing... i luuuurrrvvee hans zimmerman! maybe i'll try perfect girl evo... bishounen are always nice! lol. but hopefully the main girl character will be a solid character. like i-forget-her-name from ouran high school club. that's a funny ass comedy that has light romance... that's one anime that i actually laughed out loud in. lol. thanks azurel!

SOOOOO

does anyone have any other recommendations? i mean... i guess the anime doesnt have to revolve around the female character only...

just any animes or mangas out there that have cool strong female characters, and a bit of romance doesnt hurt (i actually like! (: ) and action! (:

i would list the things i've seen (either completely or partially)... but i can't remember... oh~ one anime i thought was good was chrno crusade~ i really liked the manga too though. so i guess that's an example of romance but action and strong female character... blood+ is another... ouran host club is another... tsubasa chronicles... but yes... o and rukia from bleach. i like. ermm... so yeah

ON WITH MORE SUGGESTIONS! (:

and if you could me why you like the series, that would be great too! (:

the greatest sacrifice has been paid; and now we may awaken from our deepest slumber, and bask in the Light partaking in sweet fellowship for eternity.

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cairo
    wow! thanks everyone for the recommendations...

@ichimaru - i saw parts of Ergo Proxy, yeah Real is a strong character~ (: I've yet to watch Cowboy Bepop and FMA. I've seen some of Wolf's Rain, i hope to finish it some day... Thanks ichimaru
    You've never watch FMA? I suggest you watch it soon. My favorite episode is ep. 3. It's not about strong anime chara, but the story's just touching. And Cowboy Bebop got some cool jazzy soundtrack.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Post Thanks / Like

a strong female protagonist...hmm.......i've seen some...

Love hina
    ...well actually the main charater is a guy...but he's like basically, the only guy...(there are 2 more main/somewhat guyu characters, but they only show up in certain eps.)
    Love hina Again....Sequel...repeat above message except it revolves more around one of the girls and is only 3 eps long...
    Love hina movies...repeat

Fruit Basket....main character is a girl, surrounded by guys...mostly

and the MOST RECENT...made and came out in 2006.....THE MELANCHOLY OF HARUHI SUZUMIYA..lol....

this one, main character is a girl, funny, and 14 eps long....

that all i've actually seen with a female protagonist...lol

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the female characters in Love Hina are only strong when they want to beat Keitaro up, save for Motoko Aoyama, whom is very into Kendo.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Azurel's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

@azurel - i totally agree with you! blood+ was awesome! but not enough romance! lol. cant help it, i'm a sucker for romance... although action is awesome too and blood+ definitely had that.
    I do agree with you, the beginning lacks romance since it was focus on Saya's family and regaining her memories. However, romance is slowly incorporated in the later episodes. The ending was really sad but it ended well. So yeah, I suggest you give it another try

ON WITH MORE SUGGESTIONS! (:
    Oh I just remembered! Samurai Girl: Real Bout High School is a really cool manga. It's also made into an anime but it's totally different though. The anime tries to continue where the manga ended but some details that occured in the manga has been totally ignored for some reason Which is why I would recommend reading the manga rather than watching the anime coz the manga has a sweet love story with a female protagonists which totally kicks ass!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi685
    Oh yeah, I just started reading/watching Fruits Basket and it's really funny and I can see a huge love triangle in the making.

=======

There's quite a lot of anime named here. And I'm kinda looking for a shounen- female protagonists. Which basically has a lot of fighting, action, comedy revolving around a female character and doesn't necessarily have any romance..

Does...

Fate/Stay Night
    Claymore
    Black Lagoon
    Ergo Proxy
    Sakura Wars

fit into that description???

Or if you have other recommendations..

Appreciate your help too

p.s hope you don't mind me butting into ur thread cairo

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member blasta's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes those fit into your description but I have never watched Sakura Wars before. I highly recommend you try Black Lagoon, Ergo Proxy, and Fate/Stay Night. Claymore is great too and its manga only right now so if you don't mind reading then thats one you could try. I see on other forums and places there are so much Saber fanboys a lot like her but Revy is my favorite shes just awesome and badass, doesn't take crap from people.

Oh and if you like good comedies and haven't tried this one out yet : School Rumble! Sawachika Eri is one of my other favorite female character but shes not really the protagonist. School Rumble has quite a few female characters in it that are pretty good and Azumanga Daioh is nice too.
    BoH!
    Thank you to yFANTgirl.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Azurel

Quote from: Kyuubi685 on January 31, 2007, 07:58:26 PM

Oh yeah, I just started reading/watching Fruits Basket and it's really funny and I can see a huge love triangle in the making.
    I didn't include FB in my suggestions. This is really subjective, and discussing Tohru, the "main character", can be an argument. Technically she has a lot of impressive stuff going on in her heart, control-wise. But because she is portrayed as a very gentle and silly character, it may not look like she's very emotionally strong. You should check FB up. The manga recently concluded. The anime finishes up to vol. 6 or 7, so her character lacks development there.
    Oh, and it's not only Tohru that has distinct personality. Her girlfriends are very interesting characters, the one who defend her most of the time.

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Azurel
    There's quite a lot of anime named here. And I'm kinda looking for a shounen- female protagonists. Which basically has a lot of fighting, action, comedy revolving around a female character and doesn't necessarily have any romance..
    Hmm... What about Tenjou Tenge or Mai-HiME? They have a bit of romance, but action's guaranteed.

New Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast