Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 27 of 134 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 77 127 ... LastLast

Thread: Because Chocolate Can't Get You Pregnant

Bobbas Veltez 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Joker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nothing Exceeds Like Excess

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    Apart from all three of the final goals being offside, it was an entertaining finish.

I'm looking forward to seeing whether Barca can get it done without Messi, assuming he doesn't recover in time. As of the matches today, he was listed as questionable for tomorrow.
    Yeah I've just seen the highlights, Dortmund's first injury time goal wasn't offside, there was a Malaga player that didn't move forward with the line in time and played the opposition onside. That last goal was just so messy though lol, but the reaction from the fans was just one of those that makes the Champions League so great; the roaring was immense. I can imagine pubs down Dortmund during that moment almost coming down with people jumping everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by hatsuharupeace View Post
    Dudeeeee, Ronaldo is a beasttttt. How many goals this season now in the CL? Insaneee.
    He's got 11 now and Messi is tied in 2nd with 8, not far behind but if Messi doesn't feature in tonight's match then I think Ronaldo will get the boot.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goldb View Post
    Cos of that fetish.
    I'm confused.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted hatsuharupeace's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Ronaldo WILL get the boot. I can feel it hahaha, and no less than what he deserves.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like for Ronaldo to win the Ballon d'Or this season just because I'd rather not see Messi win it again and some of the seasons where Messi won it, Ronaldo deserved the award. It seems as if Ronaldo would have to win La Liga, the CL, and outscore Messi in order to win the Ballon d'Or the way it's structured right now.

Spoiler show

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted hatsuharupeace's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone is so biased towards Messi. :/ Yes he's spectacular, but Ronaldo is as good as him, if not a tiny bit better. Imagine if it was the other way around, Ronaldo at Barcelona and Messi at Real, who would be better then?

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Ronaldo has one thing that Messi doesn't, which is that Ronaldo can score goals from more positions. Messi is primarily good in the box, although he can score some nice free kicks.

If Ronaldo played in Barca's system, I think that Ronaldo would make all of those runs that Messi does and get all those little tap ins that Messi does. For all people talk about Messi, a lot of his goals come down to Barca's system and a little looped ball over the top, such as his goal against PSG, or a simple through ball where defenders get caught ball watching. I think that the fact that Ronaldo scores as many goals as he does in a system where he's not playing up top a lot of the time is really impressive.

Ronaldo brought his team to the SFs of the Euros, and they nearly beat Spain there, but Ronaldo didn't seem to get any credit for that in the Ballon d'Or voting. Messi didn't even play in any international competitions for Argentina during that time.

Messi and Ronaldo are probably the two best players in history, but I'd still take Zidane over either of them for one match.

Spoiler show

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

What great player doesn't benefit from the system they play in?

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that I can think of another great player who has benefited so much from the system that he's played in. The fact that a lot of La Liga teams are really poor defensively is part of why I didn't think as highly of Messi's goal numbers as some others did. In my mind, I knocked a good 15-20 goals off for the shoddy defense there. I think that Messi would still score 60-70 goals in leagues with better defense on average (although the Premier League isn't as defensively solid as it once was), but I do think that La Liga allowed for it to become a little inflated at times.

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

I'm not taking anything away from Messi, as he's one of the best, if not the best, players in history (although, you'll note that if you don't add comments like that when you're criticizing Messi, the Barca fanboys will jump all over you), but I do think that perhaps it's a comment on Barca as a whole and their system. If Messi were to go down, I don't know how well they'd really do.

Spoiler show

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that I can think of another great player who has benefited so much from the system that he's played in. The fact that a lot of La Liga teams are really poor defensively is part of why I didn't think as highly of Messi's goal numbers as some others did. In my mind, I knocked a good 15-20 goals off for the shoddy defense there. I think that Messi would still score 60-70 goals in leagues with better defense on average (although the Premier League isn't as defensively solid as it once was), but I do think that La Liga allowed for it to become a little inflated at times.

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

I'm not taking anything away from Messi, as he's one of the best, if not the best, players in history (although, you'll note that if you don't add comments like that when you're criticizing Messi, the Barca fanboys will jump all over you), but I do think that perhaps it's a comment on Barca as a whole and their system. If Messi were to go down, I don't know how well they'd really do.
    But you are taking something away from Messi...15-20 goals...

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    But you are taking something away from Messi...15-20 goals...
    While I am taking some numerically away from him, I'm not downplaying his skill or anything, just commenting that there are problems in La Liga and Barca are so much better than all of the teams around them in La Liga, other than Madrid, that numbers can get inflated at times.

What are your thoughts on my argument?

Spoiler show

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

While I am taking some numerically away from him, I'm not downplaying his skill or anything, just commenting that there are problems in La Liga and Barca are so much better than all of the teams around them in La Liga, other than Madrid, that numbers can get inflated at times.

What are your thoughts on my argument?
    I don't know. Barca and Madrid don't chose who they play, so the whole league argument doesn't really matter to me. They still have to play a ton of other elite European teams every year. What's the real difference between La Liga and the Premiere League anyways? One or two more pretty good teams? It's not as if the bottom teams in both aren't easy to beat up on. Plus, Ronaldo plays all of the same teams as well.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know. Barca and Madrid don't chose who they play, so the whole league argument doesn't really matter to me. They still have to play a ton of other elite European teams every year. What's the real difference between La Liga and the Premiere League anyways? One or two more pretty good teams? It's not as if the bottom teams in both aren't easy to beat up on. Plus, Ronaldo plays all of the same teams as well.
    Well, primarily. About two more pretty good teams and then a bunch more teams that can compete on their day.

Ronaldo also doesn't play up top, so it's not exactly the same. Ronaldo still has 46 goals in 45 appearances this season, which is still an amazing haul.

Spoiler show

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, primarily. About two more pretty good teams and then a bunch more teams that can compete on their day.

Ronaldo also doesn't play up top, so it's not exactly the same. Ronaldo still has 46 goals in 45 appearances this season, which is still an amazing haul.
    Alright, so then if they don't play the same position why are they always compared? Because they're the primary goal-scorers for their team. It's not as if we're comparing a midfielder to a forward or anything. Barca's style is one where they'd prefer to walk the ball into the net. Is that an easier thing to do than what RM does? It depends on who the opposition is really. Barca doesn't have the size that most other elite teams have either.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Alright, so then if they don't play the same position why are they always compared? Because they're the primary goal-scorers for their team. It's not as if we're comparing a midfielder to a forward or anything. Barca's style is one where they'd prefer to walk the ball into the net. Is that an easier thing to do than what RM does? It depends on who the opposition is really. Barca doesn't have the size that most other elite teams have either.
    In some ways, Barca's style looks better against lesser teams, but against better sides, Madrid's style is more effective. Head to head, Madrid has actually gotten the better of Barca lately.

All I was saying is that Ronaldo isn't automatically in as advantageous positions all the time as Messi is. Sure, Ronaldo cuts inside a lot of the time and makes plays or runs, but he's not automatically stationed in the center of the pitch. I'm not saying that Messi doesn't hang out in the midfield a fair amount of the time, because he does, just that their positions and styles aren't exactly equal.

I do think that if they switched styles, Ronaldo would score more with Barca's style and Messi would score less with Madrid's.

Spoiler show

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

In some ways, Barca's style looks better against lesser teams, but against better sides, Madrid's style is more effective. Head to head, Madrid has actually gotten the better of Barca lately.

All I was saying is that Ronaldo isn't automatically in as advantageous positions all the time as Messi is. Sure, Ronaldo cuts inside a lot of the time and makes plays or runs, but he's not automatically stationed in the center of the pitch. I'm not saying that Messi doesn't hang out in the midfield a fair amount of the time, because he does, just that their positions and styles aren't exactly equal.

I do think that if they switched styles, Ronaldo would score more with Barca's style and Messi would score less with Madrid's.
    You can say that all you want, but which team has accomplished more as of late? And I'm not talking about the merit of each teams entertainment value either necessarily.

I don't know, too hypothetical for me. Messi was groomed to play that position. It's not really about who's athleticly superior to me. Putting Ronaldo up top doesn't really make sense to me anyways.

Thread Closed
Page 27 of 134 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 77 127 ... LastLast